Chapter 6: Werewolves of London

London, 1891. Former members of a British Army infantry regiment are being murdered. The investigators must uncover the secrets which link an incident in war-torn Sudan to an ancient evil, and prevent it from rising again.

Moderator: HoneyDog

HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Chapter 6: Werewolves of London

Post by HoneyDog »

London, Tuesday 12th December, 10am

The British Museum, Bloomsbury
BM.jpg
After breakfasting, the investigators meet outside the famous British Museum, a collection of priceless cultural artifacts collected (or stolen if you prefer) from around the world.

The day is cold but clear. However, another event has clouded the companions hearts, announced that morning in the daily papers, which chills them to the very bone.

Dr Elliot Sangster was murdered in the early hours of yesterday evening outside his house in Marylebone. It seems that he was lured out of the house by a noise, and then strangled by what his hysterical wife described as a ‘wolf-headed man’. She is said to be in deep shock and largely unresponsive. Inspector Craddock of Scotland Yard is in charge of the case. More details will be revealed as they appear, but one columnist asks whether werewolves have made an appearance in London.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Re: Chapter 6: Werewolves of London

Post by Rooter »

Dr. Francis Preston

Preston is distraught at the news of Dr. Sangster. "I was wrong. I assumed those who weren't directly involved in the Abadan raid would be safe. And now this means Paice may be killed, too. Who can this wolf-headed man be?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We'll need to visit the crime scene later," says Reg, looking downcast. "I don't believe there's any such thing as werewolves. Must be a man with a wolf mask on his head."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Dr. Francis Preston

"Well, hopefully we can glean some information here. I believe there must be a particular department related to Egyptological studies. Perhaps it might be better to inquire directly there than risk being fobbed off or having to make an appointment or somesuch. I haven't visited in years so am not certain how best to approach the scholars."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

An information desk is located inside the entrance. Visitors are able to make inquiries there.
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 14 years 4 months

Post by andyw666 »

Harry is well turned out in coat, grey morning suit and bowler this morning. He barrels up to the information counter.

"Good morning, I was hoping to speak to Mr Geoffrey Jordan. I wonder if you could direct me to him or if he is available to attend this desk?"
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

The lady behind the counter, a smartly-dressed, intelligent-looking woman, check through a registry of names.

Dr Jordan was on staff here for a while, but reverted to being a consultant” she informs our heroes. “It doesn’t look like he’s been with us for several months though. I do have contact details for him if you'd like.”

She gives the companions an address in Clarendon Road, Bayswater.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Dr. Francis Preston

"Thank you. Do you perhaps also have any record of a fellow called Mounir Faez working with the Egyptian relics here? Also, would you happen to know if there are any Egyptian exhibits or relics connected to a place called Abadan presently at the museum?"
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

The woman consults her records again.

“We had a visit from a Mounir Faez about three weeks ago, but it doesn’t seem he’s been back since. He was visiting from the Museum of Cairo. I’m sorry, you’ll have to visit the Egyptian Wing to get any details about that area.”
She smiles apologetically. "I don't have any specific information".
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Harry tips his bowler to the lady in thanks then wanders a few paces away to have a quick chat with his friends.

"Well, Dr Preston, you are right to be concerned about acting promptly it seems, as our Buffs are all dying on us. Perhaps today we should divide and conquer? Some go and have a look at this Egyptian knick-knackery, some go and chat to this Dr Jordan? What do we think?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"You're right, time is of the essence," says Reg. "I don't know much about Egypt, so I'll be part of the group that talks to Dr. Jordan."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

"Good plan, Sergeant-Major. As it happens, I read history at university, so I'd quite like to stay here and explore the Ancient Egypt section."
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Dr. Francis Preston

"In that case I shall go along to see Dr. Jordan. Hopefully we can meet again later in time to put something in place to safeguard Paice and Norton tonight, perhaps with the assistance of Inspector Craddock, since the killer has taken a new victim every night. We could set a trap, even."
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

"That seems a good plan, although I'm blessed if I know how we can ever get the colonel to cooperate, should we decide to include him. Shall we meet back at the Club? Norton will already be there."

"Miss Jerkins, shall you be happy to visit the Egyptian Wing with me?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"All right, let's regroup at the club afterwards," agrees Reg.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

As Harry, James and Helena discuss their next move, an exhausted Reg and Preston appear, ravenous and in need of a stiff drink. Both parties relate the day's events and news, to assorted consternation and horror.
OOC,Please read the other Chapter 6 thread if you haven't already.
Ebinthetropics
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 6 years 1 month

Post by Ebinthetropics »

Disbelievingly, and maybe because he just doesn't want to believe it, James asks the doctor, "Are you sure he was already dead? I'd rather think that the strain of fresh combat might have put you off your mark."
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Dr. Francis Preston

"I only wish that were the case," Preston replies somberly. "What is to be done?"
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Harry orders a round of straight whiskies for everyone, to help steady the nerves as they contemplate this strange tale.

"You both acquitted yourselves very well," he adds by way of toast.
Ebinthetropics
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 6 years 1 month

Post by Ebinthetropics »

James raises his glass towards the Doctor and Sgt Maj. "Hear hear! Undead ghouls or no, we are all glad you made it through that kafuffle intact and upright. I, ATCHOOOO!" A few drops of the whiskey splash out of his glass and land on the remaining half of his steak.

"Ugh, pardon my condition. Well, if this translation here is to be believed - and since that other medico was nearly done for over it, at least the scoundrels seem to think it is - that statue of the Colonel's needs to be dealt with.

"Like I told Harry, I haven't met the man, but he did seem to be more open to talk the second time you visited with more evidence, and with this translation..."
James points to the papers on the table. "...and the story you two just told, AND maybe if we get that police fellow to go with us and back it all up, well that's pretty damn convincing stuff if I do say so. Maybe leave out the part where the dog-masked men were already dead, make it a tinge more believable. We could tell him to post it back to that Morcos, was that what you said his name was? The Egypt contact of Faez? Or hell, the Colonel might just toss it into the fire. I'd like to see the blighter resurrect from that!

"And maybe if we keep you away from his wife, you old buck."
James gives Harry a wink.

"Or would anyone rather just say 'to hell with it' and break in and burgle the bloody thing? Do it for his own good and my uncle's, and damn the consequences?"

Return to “The Night of the Jackals”