Chapter 5d: Colonel Hollingsworth (Harry)

London, 1891. Former members of a British Army infantry regiment are being murdered. The investigators must uncover the secrets which link an incident in war-torn Sudan to an ancient evil, and prevent it from rising again.

Moderator: HoneyDog

HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Re: Chapter 5d: Colonel Hollingsworth (Harry)

Post by HoneyDog »

“That’s all very pleasant, but I don’t know anyone named Paice. How do I know that you’re not in fact part of the cause of my husband’s recent troubles Mr.Addison? she says, a sharp tone to her voice.
OOC,You can roll Psychology, but you're also going to need to roll Persuade.
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 14 years 5 months

Post by andyw666 »

Psych,Skill of 70% and Harry rolls... [dice]0[/dice]
Persuade,Skill of 65% and Harry rolls... [dice]1[/dice]
"Madam, whatever else I am, I remain a former holder of a commission from our Queen, and a gentleman. I do not murder people. I have been accused of torturing the written word though. And I have a sense of humour that is not described as lethal but is said to be abominable."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Psychology,Harry can see that Ramona is worried and anxious. She is looking for someone to talk to.
Mrs. Hollingsworth seems satisfied by Harry’s sincerity.

“Forgive me Mr. Addison, but lately my husband has not been himself. Something dark has come into our lives, but being the proud man that he is, he will take it on himself to fix it. He won’t tell me what is happening, but I am sure that it is dangerous.”

She pauses.

“Recently a man came to see him. He was an Egyptian, he said his name was Mounir Faez. And since his visit, my husband hasn’t been the same.”
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Harry quirks an eyebrow with slightly rakish attention to this new information and rubs his chin.

"Hmmm, well, to paraphrase the Roman general Pompey, keep a close eye on those Egyptians."

"Mrs Hollingsworth, forgive me for prying but did you travel overseas with your husband on campaign? I wonder if perhaps you might have met after he returned? The reason I ask is I am still interested to know if anything strange happened overseas, either in the Sudan or indeed Egypt."

"But perhaps you could start by describing this Faez character?"

OOC:   And apologies to any affronted Egyptians readers out there!  
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“I met my husband after he retired from the army” says Ramona. “He never talks about his service overseas with me, certainly not about Sudan.”

“I don’t know very much about Faez. He claimed to be a scholar. Apparently, he’s visiting London to study and catalogue the Egyptian relics at the British Museum, among others. What he wants with Nicholas, I have no idea, but shortly after his visit my husband had a blazing row with one of his oldest friends, and they haven’t spoken since. I really don’t know what’s going on.” Her pretty face screws up in misery.
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Harry looks alarmed and quickly offers the lady a pressed and pristinely white handkerchief. "Madam, pray, do not alarm yourself. Consider this, since the start of this conversation you have gained four new friends, including me, and we will work every day to solve this mystery."

"As a matter of interest, what was the name of the friend your husband had the blazing row with?"
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“His name is Geoffrey Jordan, and he definitely is a scholar at the museum. Please, Mr. Addison, of you can find out what’s going on, you’ll have my everlasting gratitude. I’m worried that my family may be in danger.”
OOC,Roll Luck.
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Luck,Harry's Luck is 70% and he rolls... [dice]0[/dice]
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Suddenly the front door opens and the figure of Colonel Hollingsworth appears. He looks around and sees Harry deep in conversation with his wife.

His rage is almost frightening to witness. His brows furrow until they become almost one, his cheeks turning a deep shade of crimson. He almost forgets that he has a limp, so rapidly does he advance upon our hero. He brandishes his walking stick like a lance.

Ramona!” he thunders. “Get back in the house!”

Without a word, Ramona turns away and walks back to the house. Hollingsworth keeps advancing.

“Damnation!” he snarls. “You were told to leave, Captain.” He almost spits the title. “But here you are, making advances on my wife! Have you no shame? Do I need to teach you a lesson?”

Nicholas!” calls Ramona's voice behind him. “Don’t! We talked. I just wanted to know who he is. Maybe he can help” she pleads.

Hollingsworth stops, but he is still filled with rage. His knuckles are wrapped tight around his stick, and he regards Harry with sheer hatred.
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Harry stands straight and looks stern.

"Sir, please constrain yourself. Neither your wife nor I have anything to reproach ourselves for."

"I exited your house most disquieted and discommoded by the conversation we just concluded. Your kind and courteous wife, no doubt perceiving my concerns, approached me in your garden, and in her short conversation with me did much to calm my inner turmoil. Mrs Hollingsworth is a good person and a loyal wife to you, sir, and is only motivated by a desire to help."

"That being said, however, I have no desire to prolong your discomfort by remaining in your property, and with your - and your wife's - leave I shall make my goodbyes and depart forthwith."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Hollingsworth seems to have restrained himself, although he still regards Harry with contempt.

“These affairs don’t concern you. I won’t stand for anymore interference!” he shouts, waving his stick, but he doesn’t attempt to follow Harry, who seems safe for now.
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Harry stands his ground during this further little tirade from Hollingsworth. When the colonel has finished, Harry raises his bowler to Mrs Hollingsworth, turns on his heel and trudges down the path to the road, to search out a hansom.
OOC,Assuming Hollingsworth doesn't chase him down the road, Harry's plan is to return home and change into proper evening wear, bowtie at al. Then he'll head to the Club for a drink (if there's time) before the rendezvous at the restaurant at 6.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,There won't be any time, he'll need to join the others. He could go to the club after if he wishes.
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

OOC,OK, change and then restaurant. Happy for me to just jump into the other thread?
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC:   Of course, everyone is discussing stuff now.  

Return to “The Night of the Jackals”