Page 1 of 1

Chapter 5: The Search for Answers

Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:28 pm
by HoneyDog
London, Monday December 11th, 10am
Lockharts.jpg
The day is another cold one. A mist hangs over the city, leaving everything covered in a film of condensation. The inhabitants of Britain’s capital trudge through the streets, wrapped up against the cold. The city is a sullen, dark place, full of mystery and foreboding.

The friends meet again at Lockharts near the great meat market at Smithfield, which today in contrast is a bustling hive of activity. Our heroes set about the task of fortifying themselves against the unpleasant weather with a filling breakfast. However the shocking events of last night cast a pall over the meeting, and it is certainly not the happy affair of last Friday’s reunion.

Re: Chapter 5: The Search for Answers

Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:55 am
by andyw666

Harry, resplendent in a fresh morning suit, indefatigably attacks another cooked breakfast, chatting about coffee being illegal in the Ottoman Empire a century ago. (And noting the restorative benefits of coffee in a hot climate filled with women expecting attentive adoration from the English chap come to train their soldiers, what.)

Once the eggs, bacon et al are dispensed with, he inserts his monocle and produces his little notebook and pencil.

"Right ho, what do we need to follow up? I'm thinking we divide and conquer."

"This afternoon - during visiting hours this time - perhaps someone should call upon the colonel. I suppose we should alert old Paice to be en garde. We also should speak with the other doctor, someone needs to look up the word abalad, we need to see about arranging access to the British Library and following up whether the Buffs ever made the papers of the day. Does The Times keep a collection of back issues?"

Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:44 pm
by Rooter
Dr. Francis Preston

Preston paces restlessly, puffing on his pipe. "As I was saying last night, with lives at risk it is imperative that we communicate our suspicions to those concerned. There simply isn't the time for books and newspapers. Now, I concede that the Colonel will benefit from a more authoritative approach hence I will leave him to you. I will contact my colleague Dr. Sangster at once. That leaves Paice and Norton. We must warn each of them and ask if the name Abadan rings a bell. And I still say it may be necessary to keep watch on them if neither they nor the police take our suspicions seriously. But we shall see what they have to say about the Major's death."

Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:22 pm
by Mr. Handy

"That sounds like a good plan to me," says Reg. "I can approach either Norton or Paice, and Miss Jerkins can speak to the other, whichever she prefers."

Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:15 am
by andyw666

Harry will ensure that Helena is up to date with the pertinent events of the previous evening.

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:19 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Mr Handy, please decide which person Reg wants to talk to, and I’ll set up a thread for you.

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:50 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I'll talk to [b]Paice[/b], then. [b]Helena[/b] is more subtle, so she'd be better suited to talk to [b]Norton[/b].

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:03 am
by andyw666

Harry is busy making notes in his notebook of who's doing what...

"My plan is to return home quickly, send off a request to the Library for access, then spend the morning scouring about wherever one might find people from North Africa. See if anyone had any views on the Sudan, or that word."

"I shall visit the colonel at 3pm sharp. Perhaps he would accept an invitation to drinks at the Army and Navy?"

"Chaps, someone very dangerous is out there. I intend to collect a more serious revolver when I go home. You should all give some thought to your safety."

OOC,Does Harry know where migrants from North Africa, Egypt, and particularly the Sudan might be found in London town? The ports perhaps?

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:35 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,My knowledge is limited but I’m not aware of any African communities in London at that time. Harry could visit the docks in East London if he wanted. They could be pretty dangerous though.

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:03 am
by HelplessBystander
"I...think I can volunteer to speak with Norton, that is, if any of you gents don't plan to do so." Helena volunteered quietly, her presence here had being largely in the background. She disliked being annoyingly passive, after all, nothing good comes of it.

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:04 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,Okay, I'll set up individual threads for everyone: Preston will visit Sangster, who has offices in Harley Street (any doctor would know to look there; Harry will visit Hollingsworth (at his house I presume) at 3pm, after visiting the docks. Please, forget about the library! I've already said that you'll find nothing there. If anyone mentions a library again, I'll deduct Sanity. From myself. Reg will go to Paice, who will be at his shop, and Helena can visit Norton, who works at the Army & Navy Club. Maybe you can arrange to meet later this evening to discuss your findings.

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:37 pm
by HelplessBystander
OOC:   Sure. Whatever works.  

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:18 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,Sure. Let's say then you'll all agree to meet at Simpsons-in-the-Strand at 6 that evening.

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:10 pm
by andyw666
OOC,I was trying to preserve story continuity with the library reference. The idea was Harry sends off a letter of request which wouldn't be immediately responded to within the next few days, so he moves on to other avenues of investigation. Forget it though.

Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:04 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,I see Andy, I misunderstood. No offence meant.

Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:10 am
by Mr. Handy

"Then I shall visit Paice," says Reg. "I'll carry my knife at all times now, but I haven't a revolver, and my hunting rifle might draw some odd looks."

Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:54 am
by HoneyDog
6 pm, Simpsons-in-the-Strand
simpsonsdivan.jpg
It is another cold, foggy December evening. The companions are together again at Simpsons, discussing the day's revelations.

Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:10 am
by HelplessBystander
Helena stayed outside for awhile, careful to observe whether she, or anyone else, had been followed.

Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:42 am
by HoneyDog
There doesn't seem to be any suspicious characters lurking around.

Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:22 am
by HelplessBystander
Helena enters the Simpsons.

Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:57 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well, I didn't accomplish much," says Reg. "I did warn Paice, but he didn't have any further information. I tried to see Inspector Craddock afterwards, but he wasn't around. I suppose that's good. It means he's out investigating."

Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:35 am
by Rooter
Dr. Francis Preston

"I learned something from my talk with Dr. Sangster which may bear further investigation. He recalls that shortly after the Buffs were withdrawn to Egypt, somewhere near the Nile north of Aswan, Colonel Hollingsworth took a group of men on some kind of secret raid across the border. Both of the previous victims, the Major and Crouch, were among those men although he wasn't sure if the first victim Reynolds was. He does remember that they all came back in a shaken state. It is my hypothesis that something may have occurred on this secret mission for which someone is seeking revenge upon those involved. If this is the case then Dr. Sangster may be safe since he was not one of them, and it may be worth finding out whether the others, Paice and Norton, were in order to determine who might be the next likely target."

Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:09 pm
by HelplessBystander
"Mister Norton knew of 'Abadan', and, well, at least he had helped me solve the mystery the Major's last words. Abadan was a place name, Middle-Eastern, if I have to guess. Perhaps the killings might have something to do this place, or maybe the killer is, in fact, from that very place." Helena offered.

Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:06 am
by andyw666

Harry arrives slightly late in a flurry of overcoat, scarf, gloves, top hat, cane etc. Once some poor minion has managed to collect those items, leaving him in just black dinner suit and white bowtie, he collapses at the table and immediately orders a large scotch.

"Have I got a tale for you..." Harry goes on to describe the events with Colonel Hollingsworth and his wife, leaving nothing out.
OOC,Are we happy just to leave it at that and you all can read the events that took place in chapter 5d?

Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:14 am
by HelplessBystander
After hearing the story, Helena raised an eyebrow. “Quite right, it was certainly quite a tale. I do suppose this mean that the Colonel knew about what’s happening to the others. His reaction...though, I suppose it’s something worthy of note. I observed a similar reaction with Mister Norton. Fear, doubt, and an unwillingness to talk as threads of commonality. What do you quite make of this?”

Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:16 am
by Mr. Handy

"Paice didn't seem to know about it," says Reg, "and he didn't recognise the word 'Abadan' either. I did ask him to put in a word with the Colonel, which I hope helped you get in to see him."

Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:13 am
by Rooter
Dr. Francis Preston

"So Abadan is a place, then? This is helpful. It must be where the Colonel's raid took place near the Nile, assuming my theory is correct. I had intended to look up the area in an atlas. And it seems Paice was not part of this raid hence from what you say Norton may be the next likely target. As he works at the Army and Navy Club it may be as well to try to catch him there and keep an eye on him. And, since the Colonel is less than forthcoming, Norton seems to be our best chance to learn what happened in Abadan."

Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:11 pm
by HelplessBystander
“Agreed. Anyone want to come with me to interview him?” Helena asked.

Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:53 pm
by andyw666

Harry is in the process of ordering wine. "Off to the Club to interview that squib? Capital idea!"

"Old Norton's not going anywhere. May I suggest we have a quick, fortifying dinner, perhaps forego dessert, then make our way to the Club, what?"

"Then tomorrow to the British Museum would seem an idea."

"All this exposure to the countryside has put me in mind to have some lamb... Or oysters."
Harry collects himself and remembers there are ladies present. He produces his monocle and studies the menu.

Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:44 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,Shall we move things back to the club then?

Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:43 pm
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Sure. Are we allowed to read the other threads now?

Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:12 am
by HoneyDog
OOC:   Sorry I should have said - yes, everyone please read the other posts if you haven’t already.  

Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:33 am
by HelplessBystander
OOC:   Since Helena can’t officially enter the club, what can she do in the mean time?  

Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:40 am
by andyw666
Harry happily demolishes some lamb cutlets with a nice white. He is in such good humour after the day's successes, he offers to treat his friends the dinner. Meantime, between bites, he gives them all a detailed description of the current damsel in distress, Mrs Hollingsworth.

Once dinner is done, and hopefully before anyone has stuck a fork in their own eye to relieve the tedium, Harry happily dons his cloak and accoutrements, ready for a foray to the Club. He is contemplating good cognac and perhaps something sweet to make up for the lack of dessert. "Mustn't dally, what!"

Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:54 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,You don’t have to enter the club to talk with Norton.
Finishing their meal, the heroes take the short cab ride through the chilly London night to the Army and Navy Club. There, they request another audience with Toby Norton, and are asked if they could talk to him around the back of the building by the kitchens, as he is working there.

Helena leads the way, and soon after they are joined by Norton, he is less than pleased to see them. He looks pale and drawn, and is obviously anxious about something. His are forever darting around, watching for something.

“What do you want?” he complains. “Why don’t you leave me alone? I don’t want to be out here.”

Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:00 am
by Rooter
Dr. Francis Preston

Preston steps forward. "We are here because we believe you know something about these murders. We have learned that you and the other victims were part of a secret raid across the Nile led by Colonel Hollingsworth to a place called Abadan. Tell us what happened on that raid. You must know that your own life is in grave danger. We will try to help you but you must help us."

Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:47 am
by HelplessBystander
“It would be the preferable if you cooperate.” Helena courtesied.

Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:51 pm
by HoneyDog
Norton’s eyebrows shoot up in surprise. “How do you know all that?” he asks. Then he shakes his head. “I swore I would never tell. None of us will.”
Everyone,Anyone is free to roll Spot Hidden.

Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:49 pm
by andyw666
Spot Hid,Harry's skill is 50% and he rolls... [dice]0[/dice]
OOC,Can Harry make a Psychology roll to get some idea of Norton's true emotional state?

Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:51 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,You don't need to Andy, he's obviously quite scared and anxious.

Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:03 pm
by andyw666
OOC:   Harry has that effect on other men...  

Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:19 pm
by Rooter
Dr. Francis Preston
Spoiler:
Spot Hidden 55[dice]0[/dice]
"We spoke to the others from the Buffs who are still alive, Dr. Sangster, Paice, the Colonel. Don't be a fool. You know what happened to the Major could happen to you. Or would you rather we told the police our suspicions? This killer must be apprehended somehow."

Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:50 am
by HelplessBystander
Spot Hidden 45%,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:57 am
by Mr. Handy

Reg is alert to his surroundings.
OOC,Spot HIdden roll (55% skill) outside the club: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:20 am
by HoneyDog
Reg & Helena,They can smell whiskey on Norton's breath.
Norton is still unconvinced. “What has any of this got to do with Abadan? Who even told you about that?” He wipes his mouth with the back of his hand.

Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:23 am
by HelplessBystander
"Are you drunk whilst working, Mr. Norton? This is highly improper." Helena squeaked, feigning a look of shock and proper dismay.

Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:24 am
by HoneyDog
Norton curls his lip in disgust. “Stop wasting my time. I talked to you out of respect for Mr. Paice, but leave me alone now. Goodnight.”

He turns to walk back inside.

Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:40 am
by HelplessBystander
Helena made a mental note to follow him later.

Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:03 pm
by Rooter
Dr. Francis Preston

"I say we wait and follow him when he leaves. If he is attacked..."

Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:34 pm
by andyw666
Harry looks doubtful. "What if he has accommodation on the premises? A room or servants quarters out the back somewhere?"

"I suggest covert observation from the lounge. And I think we're dealing with this particular squib the wrong way. You're being too nice. Next time, I suggest we bark orders and make threats, that's the world he's used to."

"In any event, the Club cognac won't drink itself so I'm off to find a chair by a fire."

Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:38 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,So your plan is to watch Norton? If Harry goes into the club, what are the rest of you going to do?

Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:43 pm
by Rooter
Dr. Francis Preston

Preston looks around for a vantage spot at the back of the building from where the kitchen exit where Norton is working can be observed whilst remaining hidden.

Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:16 pm
by Rooter
Dr. Francis Preston

"Oh! It's still only 8pm. Norton isn't likely to finish work until late so we had best wait inside until closing time."

Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:31 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Don't forget, as a woman Helena cannot enter.

Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:25 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,The club is pretty much open 24 hours - it's possible to stay overnight. How will you know if he has left? Guys, you've had two opportunities to talk to Norton but you didn't really ask him anything. I wrote that he's scared and anxious, and he is obviously a drinker. He knows about Abadan, and he wanted to know how you knew, and you never answered him, so he got fed up. He doesn't want to talk about it, but maybe he can be persuaded somehow?

Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:46 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I didn't really have much chance to talk to him, as I can't post during the day on weekdays. I would have liked to tell him that the Colonel told us about Abadan.

Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:03 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Sorry Mr. H, you didn't get to ask your questions. Would you like another opportunity?

Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:11 am
by Mr. Handy

"It was Colonel Hollingsworth himself who told us about Abadan," says Reg as Norton starts to walk away. "Everyone who has been murdered so far was on that mission to Abadan. Since you were as well, your life is in danger - which I think you realise."
OOC,Yes, please.

Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:16 am
by HoneyDog
At the mention of the Colonel, Norton walks back. He looks confused.

“The Colonel told you about Abadan? Why? He made us swear to keep it a secret.”
OOC,I've edited some of the posts above accordingly.

Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:06 am
by Mr. Handy

"We first heard the word out of the mouth of Major Gower," says Reg. "It was the last thing he ever said, when he was dying after being waylaid last night, after he left the club. It wasn't until the Captain here went to speak to Colonel Hollingsworth about it that we knew what it meant." He glances at Harry to allow him to continue.

Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:18 am
by andyw666

Harry glares at Norton.

"Listen, squib, I've had about enough of your nonsense! We know there was a secret expedition to this Abadan place. Hollingsworth, Gower, Crouch, Reynolds, you, who else? We know people who went on the mission are dying. Horribly. You can talk to us or you can talk to the police."

"And your employers would not like you drinking on the job either. As a club member, I feel pretty certain my word would be accepted and you would be out on your ear, what."

"So tell us about Abadan."

Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:40 am
by HelplessBystander
Helena stayed at the back and observed Norton’s reactions.

Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:50 am
by HoneyDog
Norton takes a flask from his pocket and takes a long pull. He glances around again before beginning to speak.

“Yes, I was on the raid. We’d heard that there was a cult there, and the Colonel were worried that there might be more Mahdist activity. So forty of us fit ones set out to Abadan.”

He looks off into the distance. “It wasn’t really a village, just a few huts. There was a temple, underground it was. They were having some kind of service there”. He shudders. “There were something about that place, I don’t know what it was. Unnatural like, like it didn’t belong. Nothing like all the other usual mumbo-jumbo you’d see in Africa.”

He drinks again, apparently unmindful of Harry’s threat. “We killed all them cultists, and Hollingsworth and Gower swiped all their stuff.”

Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:25 am
by Rooter
Dr. Francis Preston

"Do you recall if Reynolds, the first victim, was among those who took part in the raid?"

Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:02 pm
by HoneyDog
”Yeah, Reynolds was there. I suppose he didn’t have an accident after all, then.” Norton looks even more frightened.

Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:34 am
by Mr. Handy

"Did any of the enemy survive the raid?" asks Reg. "Someone clearly seems to be seeking revenge."

Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:45 am
by HoneyDog
”No.” Norton shakes his head firmly. ”We killed all them we found there.”

Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:47 am
by HelplessBystander
"All that you found doesn't necessarily mean all that is capable of seeking revenge." Helena suggested.

Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:51 am
by HoneyDog
”True” replies Norton. ”It’s pretty clear that there were more of ‘em, from some other place I suppose.”

Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:33 pm
by andyw666

Harry looks intrigued. "When you say that Hollingsworth and Gower - ah - swiped all their stuff, what exactly do you mean? What 'stuff'."

Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:32 pm
by HoneyDog
Norton

“Well, there was some gold laying around. Some coins, some statues and things. Jewels too. I don’t know much about that stuff. But the Colonel and Major Gower got it sold and had it shared among us. That’s mainly why it was so secret. You know, only them that was there should get a taste. A reward, like.”

The Colonel didn’t take any money. He gave it all to us. But there was some other stuff. I do remember that old Nick helped ‘imself to this queer lookin’ mummy. Funny little bloke ‘e was, all withered an’ brittle, dry as dust. Layin’ in ‘is little coffin.”

Norton shudders again. “Gave me the willies, it did.”

Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:49 am
by Mr. Handy

"What are Nick's surname and address?" asks Reg. "We need to warn him too. Also, any of the other men who were at Abadan that you recall."

Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:04 am
by HoneyDog
Nick is HollingsworthNorton tells Reg. “It’s only him and me now that I know of who was on that raid. Some of the others were killed later on, some retired but I don’t know where they are. Not in London, I don’t think.”

“I ‘ope you catch the blighter” he says anxiously. “I’m not coming out of ‘ere until ‘e’s found. Now, does that answer your questions? Can I go back inside?”

Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:11 am
by andyw666

Harry gives his friends a shrug and indicates by nodding that they should come back to the front of the Club for a quick chat (minus Norton).
OOC,Is there any easy way to find out the address of the late Gower?

Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:50 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,The club might be able to tell you.

Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:15 am
by HelplessBystander
OOC:   Could Helena go to the front desk and ask?  

Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:57 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Yes, but you’ll need a good reason for why you want it.

Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:20 pm
by Mr. Handy

Reg follows Harry around to the front.
OOC,Maybe we could see if [b]Norton[/b] knows [b]Gower[/b]'s address.

Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:59 pm
by Rooter
Dr. Francis Preston

"Just one more thing, Norton. Do you happen to know the Major's home address? He was the one who helped you to attend Crouch's funeral, wasn't he?"

Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:23 am
by HoneyDog
"He had a place on Belgrave Square, I don't know which number" replies Norton. "But being dead, I don't see how he can help you."

Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:34 am
by andyw666

Harry heads around to the front of the Club, pulls out his pipe, fills and lights it while he waits for the others. He disappears into a cloud of expensive and aromatic smoke.

Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:41 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Who wants to try and get the address?

Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:58 am
by Rooter
Dr. Francis Preston

Preston thanks Norton before heading after the others.

Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:43 am
by andyw666
OOC,I think Helena was going to put her spook skills to use badgering the front desk for Gower's address?

Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:58 am
by HelplessBystander
Helena walked to the front desk and made a professional smile towards whoever happened to be manning the desk at that moment. "Good evening, sir. Do you mind if I could ask a question?"

Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:59 am
by HoneyDog
"How may I help you Miss?" says the gentleman.

Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:11 am
by HelplessBystander
"An acquaintance of Mister Norton's had visited from out of town recently. He wasn't much of a gentleman and had asked me to help him get in contact with him again? I do apologise for any implied rudeness, but may I inquire after the residence of Mr. Norton? I was under the impression that he was an employee here and that you could help me with the issue at hand." Helena said, waving a fan in front of her face, feigning a confused expression whilst making eye contact with the gentleman in front of her. For good measure, she pretended to blush.
Fast Talk 70%,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:14 am
by HoneyDog
The man looks confused. "Norton has a room here. Haven't you just spoken to him?"

Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:52 am
by HelplessBystander
"I see. He lives on the premise? That's very helpful. You have my gratitude, good sir." Helena said, "That said, it is a very good question, I'll admit that, my kind sir, the dialogue we had exchanged were interesting as well, Mr Norton was a perfectly kind and helpful gentleman, though he did seemed to be awfully lax and inattentive about his work shifts. Are all employees here as inattentive and absent-minded as Mr Norton were during work?"

Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:11 am
by HoneyDog
The man's face turns red. "That's a rather rude assertion. You do realize that women aren't allowed into the club, don't you?"

He turns to the male companions present. "Please escort your lady friend from the premises,sirs." he says, with an edge in his voice. "Goodnight to you all."

Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:29 am
by HelplessBystander
"I don't imagine I'll need anyone's help to leave. My good sir. And I don't recall having ever suggested that I wanted to enter the club?" Helena said politely, "As I had suggested, I was merely enquiring after Norton's place of residence as a favour for an acquaintance. Of course, however, one would assume that someone working in your position to be more understanding of the demands of customers and other such matters. It would appear that I was proven wrong."

Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:41 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,I don't follow this - what exactly are you trying to achieve here by insulting this man? I think Harry is outside, are Reg and Preston present?

Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:56 am
by HelplessBystander
OOC:   I wasn't actively trying to insult the man. I was simply attempting to divert attention away from the fact that I was doing something suspicious beforehand (i.e. talking to Norton and such matters), furthermore, I was just trying to find where the person's bottom line was and whether there's anymore information that I could pry out of him by being passive-aggressive. I apologise if my intention wasn't conveyed correctly. I didn't take the consequences of antagonising him and by extension the club, seriously because I could always roll for disguise and have Helena conduct the investigation under a different identity.

I think I could use this opportunity to clear up some previous incidents of miscommunication as well, since I got the feeling that we aren't communicating as effectively as I would like to hope. My reasoning for originally planning to do a disguise roll and attempt to enter the club was because of the fact that I assumed it was to be a very important location that I would like to gain more information on, and I was somewhat confused by the fact that you had then said there was no point to the actions as there's nothing of interest there. It legitimately confused as to what you would've liked me to do at that moment, since you seemed to have stressed the importance of several interactions many times, I would've assumed that you would want me to be there during those interactions. I was, apparently, wrong.

I hope that you could understand my line of thought and that we attempt to make sure that similar confusion doesn't come in the future. I hope that I didn't offend you or anything by coming off as a bit strange. I would hope to communicate more efficiently with you, the KP.  

Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:11 am
by andyw666
OOC,Yup, Harry is outside the front of the Club, puffing away contentedly. Actually, my interest was in Gower's address.

Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:33 am
by Rooter
Dr. Francis Preston

Preston steps forward. "Our pardons, I believe the lady is overemotional following the recent tragedy involving Major Gower. I was the attending physician at the scene and require his address for the records and the official death certificate. Perhaps you have the house number, I am already aware he lived somewhere on Belgrave Square." He gives his professional credentials.

Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:59 pm
by HoneyDog
"Goodnight, sir" says the man firmly. He snaps his fingers and a burly-looking thug appears.
OOC:   Okay to address your points. Maybe you need to think a bit more carefully about what you write, and pay attention to what you read:

1. They wanted Gower’s address, not Norton’s. Everyone had already been freely directed to Norton by the reception and had talked to him together, so why you determine that to be suspicious I don’t really understand.
2. Your character was rude and insulting in her insinuations. Being passive-aggressive is being rude. Do you not understand that?
3. I said at the very beginning that everyone should make a character who is an army officer, as we would be setting scenes at this club. You chose to ignore that and made a female character. At that point in the game when the characters first went to the club, they only went to chat with Major Gower. There was no real reason to suspect any conspiracy at that point. There is nothing to find at the club. No clues, no cult activities, just contacts – Gower and Norton. That's why I advised you not to go deeper. Disguising yourself and risking exposure could have put your character out of the game. And I’m sure you’re aware that these games take months to play – why do we have to construct weeks of dialogue for scenes which don’t go anywhere?

Guys, there is nothing to find at Major Gower's, so there is no point in getting his address.

This thread is finished now. I could start a new one for the next day but I don't think I'm doing a very good job in keeping this flowing so maybe let's just finish the game here. I'm busy and I can't be arsed dealing with all this passive-aggressive nonsense. Sorry for wasting your time.