Chapter 5: The Search for Answers

London, 1891. Former members of a British Army infantry regiment are being murdered. The investigators must uncover the secrets which link an incident in war-torn Sudan to an ancient evil, and prevent it from rising again.

Moderator: HoneyDog

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: Chapter 5: The Search for Answers

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Well, I didn't accomplish much," says Reg. "I did warn Paice, but he didn't have any further information. I tried to see Inspector Craddock afterwards, but he wasn't around. I suppose that's good. It means he's out investigating."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Post by Rooter »

Dr. Francis Preston

"I learned something from my talk with Dr. Sangster which may bear further investigation. He recalls that shortly after the Buffs were withdrawn to Egypt, somewhere near the Nile north of Aswan, Colonel Hollingsworth took a group of men on some kind of secret raid across the border. Both of the previous victims, the Major and Crouch, were among those men although he wasn't sure if the first victim Reynolds was. He does remember that they all came back in a shaken state. It is my hypothesis that something may have occurred on this secret mission for which someone is seeking revenge upon those involved. If this is the case then Dr. Sangster may be safe since he was not one of them, and it may be worth finding out whether the others, Paice and Norton, were in order to determine who might be the next likely target."
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 8 months

Post by HelplessBystander »

"Mister Norton knew of 'Abadan', and, well, at least he had helped me solve the mystery the Major's last words. Abadan was a place name, Middle-Eastern, if I have to guess. Perhaps the killings might have something to do this place, or maybe the killer is, in fact, from that very place." Helena offered.
My Call of Cthulhu Campaigns:
Dead Men Walking (Looking for new members)
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 14 years 5 months

Post by andyw666 »

Harry arrives slightly late in a flurry of overcoat, scarf, gloves, top hat, cane etc. Once some poor minion has managed to collect those items, leaving him in just black dinner suit and white bowtie, he collapses at the table and immediately orders a large scotch.

"Have I got a tale for you..." Harry goes on to describe the events with Colonel Hollingsworth and his wife, leaving nothing out.
OOC,Are we happy just to leave it at that and you all can read the events that took place in chapter 5d?
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

After hearing the story, Helena raised an eyebrow. “Quite right, it was certainly quite a tale. I do suppose this mean that the Colonel knew about what’s happening to the others. His reaction...though, I suppose it’s something worthy of note. I observed a similar reaction with Mister Norton. Fear, doubt, and an unwillingness to talk as threads of commonality. What do you quite make of this?”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Paice didn't seem to know about it," says Reg, "and he didn't recognise the word 'Abadan' either. I did ask him to put in a word with the Colonel, which I hope helped you get in to see him."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Dr. Francis Preston

"So Abadan is a place, then? This is helpful. It must be where the Colonel's raid took place near the Nile, assuming my theory is correct. I had intended to look up the area in an atlas. And it seems Paice was not part of this raid hence from what you say Norton may be the next likely target. As he works at the Army and Navy Club it may be as well to try to catch him there and keep an eye on him. And, since the Colonel is less than forthcoming, Norton seems to be our best chance to learn what happened in Abadan."
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

“Agreed. Anyone want to come with me to interview him?” Helena asked.
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Harry is in the process of ordering wine. "Off to the Club to interview that squib? Capital idea!"

"Old Norton's not going anywhere. May I suggest we have a quick, fortifying dinner, perhaps forego dessert, then make our way to the Club, what?"

"Then tomorrow to the British Museum would seem an idea."

"All this exposure to the countryside has put me in mind to have some lamb... Or oysters."
Harry collects himself and remembers there are ladies present. He produces his monocle and studies the menu.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 6 months

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,Shall we move things back to the club then?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Sure. Are we allowed to read the other threads now?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC:   Sorry I should have said - yes, everyone please read the other posts if you haven’t already.  
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

OOC:   Since Helena can’t officially enter the club, what can she do in the mean time?  
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Harry happily demolishes some lamb cutlets with a nice white. He is in such good humour after the day's successes, he offers to treat his friends the dinner. Meantime, between bites, he gives them all a detailed description of the current damsel in distress, Mrs Hollingsworth.

Once dinner is done, and hopefully before anyone has stuck a fork in their own eye to relieve the tedium, Harry happily dons his cloak and accoutrements, ready for a foray to the Club. He is contemplating good cognac and perhaps something sweet to make up for the lack of dessert. "Mustn't dally, what!"
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,You don’t have to enter the club to talk with Norton.
Finishing their meal, the heroes take the short cab ride through the chilly London night to the Army and Navy Club. There, they request another audience with Toby Norton, and are asked if they could talk to him around the back of the building by the kitchens, as he is working there.

Helena leads the way, and soon after they are joined by Norton, he is less than pleased to see them. He looks pale and drawn, and is obviously anxious about something. His are forever darting around, watching for something.

“What do you want?” he complains. “Why don’t you leave me alone? I don’t want to be out here.”
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Dr. Francis Preston

Preston steps forward. "We are here because we believe you know something about these murders. We have learned that you and the other victims were part of a secret raid across the Nile led by Colonel Hollingsworth to a place called Abadan. Tell us what happened on that raid. You must know that your own life is in grave danger. We will try to help you but you must help us."
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

“It would be the preferable if you cooperate.” Helena courtesied.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Norton’s eyebrows shoot up in surprise. “How do you know all that?” he asks. Then he shakes his head. “I swore I would never tell. None of us will.”
Everyone,Anyone is free to roll Spot Hidden.
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Spot Hid,Harry's skill is 50% and he rolls... [dice]0[/dice]
OOC,Can Harry make a Psychology roll to get some idea of Norton's true emotional state?
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,You don't need to Andy, he's obviously quite scared and anxious.

Return to “The Night of the Jackals”