Page 1 of 1

Chapter 4: Mysteries of The Sudan

Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:54 pm
by HoneyDog
London, Sunday December 10th, 10am
Lockharts.jpg
The companions meet again on a cold and cloudy day at Lockharts in West Smithfield near the Market. Although it might be a less salubrious meeting point for those of more refined tastes, it is fairly close to Reg’s East London abode. Here the heroes can get a cheap cup of tea or coffee and some hearty breakfast, and discuss their plans for the day. Being a Sunday, the Market is closed, and the area is fairly quiet.

Re: Chapter 4: Mysteries of The Sudan

Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:12 pm
by Rooter
Dr. Francis Preston

Preston lights his pipe. "As a physician it would not seem out of the ordinary for me to inquire after the colonel's health as I would on any house call. The recent deaths of two of his men is bound to have a detrimental psychological effect. I see it regularly in soldiers."

Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:45 am
by HelplessBystander
Helena nodded. "I have seen many similar incidents as well, you would be surprised at how frequent mental detriments appear."

Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:58 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, that strikes me as a good reason for a visit," says Reg, pausing to take a sip of his coffee.

Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:21 am
by HelplessBystander
"Good Doctor, shall we come along with you?" Helena asked.

Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:10 am
by andyw666
Harry, resplendent in fine morning suit, has been happily tucking into a cooked breakfast of bacon and eggs, accompanied by coffee. He had been regaling the company with tales of the excellent and very strong Turkish coffee he enjoyed while training troops for the Ottoman Empire. "The Ottomans have a proverb, 'Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.' And they make very fine ice cream too."

He pauses at Dr Preston's suggestion. "So your plan, doctor, is to make a foray on the colonel's abode under cover of a house visit to a patient you do not have, and indeed have never before meet?"

Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:45 am
by HelplessBystander
"I believe that is exactly what he is saying." Helena said, looking at Harry.

Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:27 am
by Rooter
Dr. Francis Preston

"I merely venture to suggest that I am willing to give aid where it is necessary. He is, after all, your superior officer and whether he will be receptive to the advances of the lower ranks will depend upon his personality. A physician may be more readily accepted. But I see no reason to worry as we are all bound by ties of service, are we not? Our primary concern must be for the safety of these soldiers."

Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:43 pm
by andyw666
Harry raises his eyebrows in doubt but waves his coffee cup expansively. "I'm not criticising your alleged plan of attack, just clarifying details. Don't let my concerns dissuade you."

"Happily, I shall be nowhere nearby. I shall be conducting some research into the history of the Buffs. If there is a connection between the murder of the sergeant major and the death of the second chap, and I'm still not convinced there is, the common element would seem to be the regiment. Which leads one to wonder if they made some enemies with very long memories and apparently the ability to strike even here on our green islands."

"I thought I might take young James with me."

Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:18 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,Remember, today is a Sunday.

Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:07 pm
by Rooter
Dr. Francis Preston

"Well, time is pressing and all this sitting around in clubs eating and drinking isn't getting us anywhere. We ought to have gone directly to the house since if the colonel is a churchgoer we may have missed him by now. I'll hail a carriage for those of us who wish to go." Preston gets to his feet.

Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:31 am
by andyw666
OOC,What - research wise - is open in London on a Sunday in the Gaslight era? The British Library?

Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:22 am
by Mr. Handy

"Do we know which church is his?" asks Reg. "It might be worth paying it a visit and seeing if he shows up there. If he doesn't, that in itself would be cause for alarm."

Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:39 am
by andyw666
Harry, finishing his breakfast, pulls out a pipe and lights it up.

"Sunday! I had forgotten. I believe the British Museum is open Sunday afternoons, however. That might be a good place to start."
OOC,Would Harry already have access to the British Museum Reading Room? It's discussed on p.56 of the Gaslight rules. He is a somewhat literate character and does have a university educated background...

Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:07 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,No, you need to apply in writing and in my experience you have to specify exactly which book you want to read, you can't really walk off the street and go browsing. In honesty, the events you're investigating are too recent to have been written about.

Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:38 am
by andyw666
Harry pauses for thought. "Might be too hard on a Sunday. I wonder if the War Office would have any records of the Buffs' activities? Or the Colonial Office I suppose? Otherwise, I could head back to the Club and just ask about, see if anyone had heard anything?"
Newspapers,Is there a good newspaper archive anywhere in Victorian London? The Gaslight rules mention a Newspaper Room also at the British Museum?

Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:24 am
by HelplessBystander
"Pardon me for the foolish suggestion, but couldn't you check the papers for the recent military events?" Helena suggested timidly. "Perhaps the London Times had covered these events, if I'm not mistaken. These events generally gets reported."

Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:25 pm
by andyw666
Harry nods agreeably and puffs on this pipe. "I don't think it's a foolish suggestion and I should very much like to check back issues off the papers, but where does one go to check back issues? Does the Times itself have back issues available to read?"

Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:39 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,Sorry Andy, but it's[i] Sunday[/i]. Apart from places to eat and drink, all other businesses will be closed. Government offices will certainly be closed. Would you all like to go to the Colonel's house? I can move the action there.

Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:38 am
by andyw666
OOC,Hmmm, well, I would tend to say the Victorians were very conscious of class and social guidelines. Harry, despite his roguish persona, is somewhere approaching upper class and views barging in on the colonel without good excuse as a significant social faux pas. Having said that, speaking meta, I don't want to slow the game down. Maybe Harry can just hang out at the Club and ask around about the Buffs?

Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:45 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Is there any way we can find out what church the colonel attends? If so, we can go there.

Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:47 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,It's at least 10.30 - by the time you get to Hampstead it should almost be lunchtime, so church services will have been and gone. You'll just have to call at his house. Harry can call at the club then. I'll set a scene for him, and everyone else can call at the Colonel's house. I don't think calling unannounced in these circumstances will be seen to be too rude. I'll set it up later today.

Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:05 am
by andyw666
OOC,Sounds good.

Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:26 am
by HoneyDog
Harry,[b]Harry [/b]returns home to change and then heads to the Army and Navy Club in time for lunch. As he arrives, the man on duty at reception tells him that [b]Major Gower[/b] got his message, and will be at the club at 7pm that evening if he would like to meet then.
Reg & Helena & Preston & Winter,[b]Reg, Helena, Preston and Winter[/b] take a cab up to Hampstead. Not knowing the exact address, the cabbie asks passersby and is directed to Kandahar House. The time is now a little after 12pm. It is situated north-west of the village center, covering several acres of land. It is surrounded by an 8-foot brick wall, with a single gate at the front which opens onto a circular drive. The house itself is an impressive 3-stories, and is situated at what must be the center of the enclosure. A fountain sits in front. Visible to the rear is what looks like a large garden. To the west of the house is what looks like outbuildings; perhaps stables or a carriage house. [ooc]Everyone, you can roll Idea.[/ooc]

Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:06 am
by Mr. Handy

Something occurs to Reg.
OOC,Idea roll (75% stat) outside Kandahar House: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:35 am
by andyw666
Harry is rather pleased to hear this good news and hopes his friends have at least equal luck with the colonel. He settles down for a good lunch, lubricated with something pleasant from the vine.
OOC,[b]Harry's[/b] plan is to drift about the Club for the afternoon, buying people drinks, looking to see if anyone can contribute anything on what the Buffs got up to in The Sudan, or failing that, any other tales of The Sudan (which has been an ongoing problem for Britain for some time). His pretext will be that he is working on another book of military reminiscences.

Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:23 am
by HoneyDog
Harry,[b]Harry[/b] learns a couple of things from his afternoon at the club, but nothing which sheds any light on the deaths. The 2nd Buffs had suffered a lot of casualties in the Sudanese Campaign, with many wounded or sick from disease. Although no blame is attached to [b]Colonel Hollingsworth[/b], it is known that he had taken a hard line with the locals as a result. There are no specific details forthcoming, and this is just hearsay. [b]Harry[/b] also learns that in fact another former officer of the 2nd Buffs is living in London. This is [b]Elliott Sangster[/b], formerly a medical officer who now has his own practice. It appears that he shuns his former army colleagues and doesn't frequent the club.

Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:24 am
by Rooter
Dr. Francis Preston
Spoiler:
Idea 70[dice]0[/dice]
"Quite a tidy little abode," Preston observes, approaching the house.

Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:44 am
by andyw666
Satisfied with his intelligence gathering efforts, Harry settles down to while away a happy afternoon at the Club playing cards with other chaps, and look forward to meeting the major at 7. He will still keep his ears peeled for any interesting chat.

Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:51 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,Helena Idea 65: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/580599]Idea[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]4[/b] Winter Idea 60: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/580600]Idea[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]38[/b]
Reg & Helena & Preston & Winter,As the carriage pulls up to the front of the house, it occurs to everyone that this property is far too grand for someone on a Colonel's pension to afford. [b]Hollingsworth [/b]must have an alternative and profitable source of income.

Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:41 pm
by Rooter
Dr. Francis Preston

"In fact one wonders how the Colonel gets along on an army pension. Must have some treasures in the attic." Preston alights and goes to ring the bell.

Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:10 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I was thinking the same," says Reg. "He probably has an inheritance or investments, I shouldn't wonder."

Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:42 am
by HoneyDog
Helena & Reg & Preston & Winter,The door is opened by a tall, elderly grey-haired man dressed in butlers livery. He registers no emotion as he regards the companions. [color=#008000]"May I help you?"[/color] he asks politely.

Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:09 am
by Rooter
Dr. Francis Preston

"Good morning, is Colonel Hollingsworth at home? We have mutual acquaintances at the Army and Navy Club and wished to discuss a matter of import." Preston gives their names.

Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:34 pm
by HoneyDog
The butler nods gravely as he peruses their calling cards. With a wave of his hand, he directs them to a reception room.

"Please wait here. I will inform the Colonel."

With that, he leaves the room.

After leaving our heroes to kick their heels for about ten minutes, he returns.

"I'm very sorry, but the Colonel is very busy. Could you explain the nature of your visit in more detail?"

Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:26 pm
by Rooter
Dr. Francis Preston

Preston feels it is best not to mention any specific details to the serving staff. "Suffice it to say that we come with a warning that his life is possibly in danger."

Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:08 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC:   I won't bother to hide the posts, so please read along Andy. Just don't forget to let Harry drop his monocle in his soup or something if he hears shocking news.  
The butler coughs, ever so slightly, but remains unperturbed. “I see sir, but, the Colonel was insistent regarding the nature of your inquiry”.

Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:10 am
by andyw666
OOC,A monocle! What an excellent suggestion. Very in keeping.

Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:35 am
by Mr. Handy

"This concerns the recent untimely passing of members of his regiment," says Reg.

Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:39 am
by HoneyDog
The butler nods in understanding. “I shall convey that to him, sir.”

Another fifteen minutes passes before the butler returns again.

“I’m terribly sorry, but the Colonel cannot meet with you at this time. He thanks you though for your interest, and suggests that you contact the police if you have any information regarding the death of Sergeant-Major Crouch.”

He extends his arm, indicating that they should leave.

Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:17 pm
by Rooter
Dr. Francis Preston

"As your master wishes," Preston says, turning to leave. At least they know the Colonel is safe, even if something doesn't seem quite right.

Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:20 pm
by HoneyDog
Unable to see the Colonel, the companions have no choice but to leave. They head towards the door.
Preston,Roll Luck at half.

Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:29 pm
by Rooter
Spoiler:
Half Luck 38[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:54 pm
by HoneyDog
In low spirits, the heroes trudge up the drive towards the gate, hoping to hail a Hansom back to London. The time is now 1 pm.
OOC,What would you like to do now?

Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:13 pm
by Rooter
Dr. Francis Preston

"I suppose we might meet again at the Army and Navy Club this evening. Perhaps we will run into some more accommodating faces." In the meantime he will head back to his practice.

Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:08 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, that's a good thought," says Reg. "Also, someone mentioned the British Museum before. It should be open in the afternoon."

Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:24 pm
by Rooter
Spoiler:
It's been stated that you need to apply in writing to the museum. Either way Preston will just go back to the club later.

Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:07 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,Shall I move things forward to the club? As I said before, it’s not possible to browse the British Museum reading room, and you don’t really have anything specific to search for anyway. As Helena cannot enter the club and HelplessBystander is away anyway I’ll rest his character until he gets back. I think Juulm might have left us so I’ll retire his character for now. That will leave four of you but the character will be there in case he comes back.
In low spirits, the heroes trudge up the drive towards the gate, hoping to hail a Hansom back to London. The time is now 1pm.

Everyone decides to return to their own business, and reconvene at a later time. Helena decides not to come to the Army and Navy Club tonight and she has some of her own affairs to attend to. She requests that the others send word to her when she is needed.

The Army and Navy Club, 6.30pm

Reg and Preston return to the club that evening hoping to find Harry, who is still there and in good spirits. He informs them of the information that he learned earlier that day.

They also receive a note from James Winter – he has received notice to cut his leave short and return to the regiment immediately, the reason unspecified. He hopes that the others will continue to research the mystery and help his uncle in his absence.

Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:16 pm
by Rooter
Dr. Francis Preston

"Dr. Sangster, eh? Yes, I know the name though we haven't met. Certainly must be the reclusive type given not a great number of us former army medics live in London. And Hollingsworth certainly seems the hard line type from what we saw or rather didn't see today. Well, let us see if the Major has an opinion on these events."

Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:20 am
by Mr. Handy

"It would be worth looking Dr. Sangster up," says Reg, "perhaps on the morrow. As a fellow man of medicine, you have the best chance of approaching him."

Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:32 am
by HoneyDog
At 7pm a man is shown to their table. He is thickset and formidable looking man in his late 30s or early 40s, although perhaps verging on the stout side, with an impressive moustache and beard. He is well-dressed in a tailored suit.

He eyes the investigators curiously. “I’m John Gowerhe says in a deep voice. “I had a note from a Captain Addison? You wanted to meet me”.

Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:20 am
by andyw666
Harry immediately rises and introduces himself formally to the Major.

"Major, so good of you to meet me. I am Captain Harry Addison, late of Prince Albert's Somersets, as indeed are my friends here. I believe we may have an acquaintance in common, a Mr Alan Paice, bookshop proprietor and formerly of the Buffs? I wonder if you could spare us five minutes of your time?"

Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:00 am
by HoneyDog
“Yes, I remember Paicesays Gower, as he shakes hands with everyone. “May I sit down then? What would you like to talk to me about? Is it Paice?”

Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:14 am
by Mr. Handy

"Actually, it's about Sergeant-Major Crouch," says Reg.

Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:18 am
by HoneyDog
“Oh yes, poor Crouch!” says the Major, signaling for the waiter. “Dreadful business! Why, do you gentlemen know something about it?”

Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:52 am
by Rooter
Dr. Francis Preston

"We are curious about the fact that this killing occurred so soon after the death of another soldier from the Buffs in less than usual circumstances, one Reynolds. We attempted to speak with Colonel Hollingsworth but he has proved to be somewhat difficult to deal with. Given this connection of their regiment and service in Sudan perhaps you might share what history you know of those concerned. Does anything strike you as unusual?"

Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:25 pm
by HoneyDog
Reynolds?” The Major furrows his brow. “I read about that, and I remember no foul play was suspected.”

The waiter appears, and he orders a carafe of Burgundy.

“A terrible accident, I believe. Has the situation changed now?” he enquires.

Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:55 pm
by andyw666
Psych,Any chance Harry can make a Psychology roll to learn anything about the Major's demeanour?

Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:59 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,Sure, go ahead.

Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:55 pm
by andyw666
Psych,Harry's Psychology is 70% and he rolls... [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:56 am
by HoneyDog
Harry,Gower doesn’t appear to be furtive or on edge, just curious and perhaps a little wary.

Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:04 am
by andyw666
Harry gives his friends a discreet "we can trust him" nod.

Waving his cigar expansively, he addresses the major. "Our mutual acquaintance, Mr Paice, alerted us to the murder of Sergeant-Major Crouch and also the death of the other member of your regiment in unusual circumstances. My friends are of the view this is a strange coincidence that deserves more attention than the police are giving it."

"Myself, I am less convinced. Having said that, I am planning on writing a book of reminiscences of former army men come home. What is of interest and concern to us all is if something that happened back when you are all in uniform may be returning to haunt you now."

"It is my understanding the Buffs served in the Sudan campaigns. Perhaps you would be kind enough to share some of your experiences on campaign?"

Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:59 am
by HoneyDog
The Major puffs out his cheeks. “I’m sure that it is just a terrible coincidence” he says confidently. “No doubt the murderer was an acquaintance of Crouch, and they had some disagreement.”

He takes a deep draught of Burgundy. “You want to hear about the Sudan, eh? You Prince Albert’s weren’t there, were you? It was a tough time, all right.”

Over the next hour he proceeds to give his account of his battalion’s service in Egypt and the Sudan, describing the heat, the dust, the flies, and the hard marching and fighting with the Mahdist forces, all the while enjoying several glasses of Burgundy. It all sounds quite familiar to our veterans. There don’t seem to be any particular references made as to why Reynolds and Crouch may have been targeted in the present. Gower seems to be particularly fond of cards, and speaks endearingly about the games he played with his fellow officers.

Outside the windows, a thick London fog has fallen.

Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:09 am
by Rooter
Dr. Francis Preston

"Are you very well acquainted with Colonel Hollingsworth, Major? The man seems to have ruffled a few feathers but we were at his Kandahar House earlier today and he is clearly dong very well for himself. How he affords a pile like that on an army pension is beyond me."

Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:47 am
by HoneyDog
Gower reddens. “Yes, I’m very well-acquainted with Colonel Hollingsworth he says in a low voice. “And I can assure you that he is a brave, honourable man – a dedicated and knowledgeable warrior. Why, he’s like one of the knights of old! I’m proud to have served alongside him!”

The Major is becoming more irate. “He deserves everything he has!” he says more loudly. One or two heads turn at adjacent tables.

Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:01 am
by Mr. Handy

"No doubt he does," says Reg in a reassuring tone. "He must have some other source of income, is all. An inheritance, or some wise investments, perhaps."

Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:13 am
by andyw666
Harry looks slightly alarmed at the turn the conversation has taken, and the danger of offending the major. He attempts to pour oil on troubled waters.

"Major, your loyalty to the colonel does you credit. And if he has other support than his army pension, that should be no surprise. Why, I myself could never have survived on just my army pay."

"Were there any unusual occurrences while the Buffs served in Africa? Beyond normal campaigning, of course."

Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:52 am
by HoneyDog
Gower seems placated by these words and calms down a bit. He hesitates a little before answering though. “No, nothing unusual. Look, as I said earlier, Crouch’s death will probably be the result of some local dispute.”

He finishes his wine and stands up. “Well, it was a pleasure to make your acquaintances, but I must be returning home now”. He holds out his hand to shake with the three companions.

Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:03 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you for your time, Major," says Reg, giving his hand a good, firm shake.

Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:37 am
by andyw666
Harry immediately rises and shakes the major's hand.

"So good of you to make time for us. Perhaps my friends and I are old men of action who still don't know when to withdraw from the field. Major, I hesitate to ask, but is there any way I could arrange a short meeting with the colonel? Just to absolutely ensure we have asked every question we should ask regarding the death of the sergeant-major and the other chap, of course."

"Any such meeting would be conducted with the utmost respect for the colonel, I assure you, on my word."

Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:37 am
by HoneyDog
“Well” says the Major. “I haven’t seen the Colonel much lately, but I will pass on the request to him when I see him next. I don’t expect that he will know much more about the matter though.”
OOC,I'll see if Wruter wants to ask about anything else before the Major leaves.

Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:10 am
by Rooter
Dr. Francis Preston

Preston shakes hands. "Good night, Major."

Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:56 pm
by HoneyDog
Gower collects his coat and leaves the club. The fog is even thicker now.
OOC,Are you all leaving too?

Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:07 am
by andyw666
Harry sighs. "Well that could have gone better."

"Are we any closer to even connecting the death of this other chap Reynolds to the sergeant major?"

Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:39 am
by Mr. Handy

"I don't think we know anything more yet," says Reg. "Perhaps tomorrow we can find out more about that incident, but I don't think there's anything more we can do tonight."

Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:49 am
by HoneyDog
Feeling somewhat deflated by their lack of progress, our companions leave the club and step out into the freezing, foggy night. As they discuss their next options, they hear the unmistakable sound of a police whistle being blown.

Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:08 am
by Mr. Handy

Reg races toward the sound of the whistle without hesitation, hoping there's something he can do to help.

Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:16 am
by andyw666

Harry groans. "Sergeant-major! Dammit, man, we are not on the Queen's shilling anymore!"

Muttering under his breathe, he claps one hand on his top hat and hurries, at a slightly more sedate and gentlemanly pace, after the S-M.

Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:12 am
by Rooter
Dr. Francis Preston

Preston does his best to keep up with the two former soldiers.

Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:09 pm
by HoneyDog
The companions race through the fog, in the direction of the whistles. As they come upon the scene, Reg in the lead, there are already two policemen there. They are staring up at a horrific scene illuminated by the light of a streetlamp; a man lays impaled on the spiked iron bars of a fence, with two of the spikes passing directly through his torso, and another through his shoulder. He is covered in blood, which also drips down the fence and is congealing on the ground. In the dim light, it is thick and black.

The constables are gaping in amazement – the fence is about 8 feet tall, and there are no adjacent buildings or trees that he could have fallen from.

“’Ow do we get ‘im dahn from ther’?”
wonders one of them out loud, shocked and aghast. “”Ow did ‘e get up ther’?”

“I’ll fetch a ladder” says the other, racing off.

The man is unmoving, and appears quite dead.

As the companions move closer, they can see that the man is Major Gower.
Everyone,Roll SAN. If you fail, roll 1d4 for loss.

Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:52 pm
by Rooter
Dr. Francis Preston
Spoiler:
SAN 75[dice]0[/dice]
Preston is aghast but manages to remain calm. "I'm a doctor," he tells the policeman and steps closer to examine the body although he knows there is nothing he can do.

Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:30 am
by Mr. Handy

Reg goes pale when he sees the Major, whom they had just been talking with minutes ago. "The blighter can't have gone far," he says, shivering. "Look for tracks." Unfortunately, he isn't a very good tracker himself.
OOC,Sanity roll (current level 55) for seeing the body: [dice]0[/dice] Sanity loss: [dice]1[/dice] Track roll (10% base skill) looking for tracks: [dice]2[/dice]

Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:38 am
by andyw666
SAN,Harry's roll is 70% and he rolls... [dice]0[/dice]
SAN Loss,[dice]1[/dice]
"Good heavens!"

Harry frantically clutches a handkerchief to his mouth and turns away, aghast. Struggling to avoid being ill, he attempts to divert his attention to looking for tracks through tear streaked eyes...
Track,Roll is 50% and he rolls... [dice]2[/dice]

Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:47 pm
by HoneyDog
Unfortunately, the ground is paved, and dry, and there are no footprints to be found.
OOC,Sorry, but it won't work here.
In the meantime, while the heroes are recovering from their shock, more bobbies have turned up, and two ladders have been acquired. They are put against the fence as the officers overcome their revulsion and see what to about extricating the corpse.

Suddenly, a low moaning sound issues from Gower – he’s still alive! Knowing he must be in unbearable agony, the seasoned constables gasp in shock. One of them can stand it no more and hides his face.
Everyone,Roll SAN again. If you fail, you appreciate what terrible pain Gower must be in, and lose a point.
"Oy!" says one of them, his face pale and taut in the light of the streetlamp. "I fink 'e's tryin ta say summing!"

Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:01 pm
by Rooter
Dr. Francis Preston
Spoiler:
SAN 75[dice]0[/dice]
His experience treating wounded soldiers allows Preston to stay focused. He climbs one of the ladders to do what he can. "Keep talking, stay calm..."
Spoiler:
Medicine 75[dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:06 am
by HoneyDog
Preston,Preston can see that Gower must have suffered major organ damage, and that lifting him off the spikes will surely kill him. Judging from the amount of blood loss, he likely doesn’t have long left anyway.
Gower is still moaning. More people are beginning to arrive.

”Oy! Wot you playing at, mate?” says the constable to Preston. ”This is p’lice bizness”.

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:24 am
by Mr. Handy

"It's all right, he's a doctor," says Reg.
OOC,Sanity roll (current level 51) for realizing the Major is alive: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:36 am
by HoneyDog
Reg's words seem to mollify the constable.

Gower is still trying to articulate something, but the sounds are being lost by the increasing noise of the gathering onlookers. Policemen have started to keep people back.

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:59 am
by andyw666
SAN,Harry's SAN is now 66 and he rolls... [dice]0[/dice]
Harry rounds on the public. In best military voice, he roars, "Everyone be quiet! Let the poor man speak his last words!"

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:30 am
by HoneyDog
Many of the surrounding people, including the police, are stunned into silence by Harry's assertive command.

Even so, it is very difficult to make out what the dying Gower is trying to say.
Everyone,Roll Listen. Reg and Harry get +5 'cause everyone shut up. Preston gets +25 as he is so close.

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:20 am
by andyw666
Listen,Harry's skill is 25 + 5 total 30% and he rolls...[dice]0[/dice]
In the brief silence, Harry is able to focus on the major's words.

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:12 pm
by Rooter
Dr. Francis Preston
Spoiler:
Listen 45+25=70[dice]0[/dice]
"Don't try to move him," Preston murmurs to the policemen. "He doesn't have long anyway."

He hears the Major's last words.

Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:43 am
by Mr. Handy

Reg is too far away to make out the words.
OOC,Listen roll (60% +5 = 65% skill) to hear the Major's last words: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:19 am
by HoneyDog
Preston & Harry,"Abadan... but it was real... alive" are the words Gower manages to speak.
Gower shudders and stops moaning. Preston feels for his pulse, but there is nothing.

Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:54 am
by andyw666

Harry wonders aloud, "How is this even possible, by God? How did he get up there?"

He sticks his monocle in his eye and scans the ground, then the fence near the major, looking for any strange thing that might offer some insight into this bizarre crime.
OOC,Track didn't work but can he make a Spot Hidden roll to search for any clues?

Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:44 am
by Rooter
Dr. Francis Preston

"He is gone," Preston informs the policemen. Before climbing down from the ladder he examines the body for any telling marks of a physical struggle or other indications of disturbance.

Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:30 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,Sorry Andy, there's no more clues. You've already had two!
Preston,It is difficult to see much due to the dim light and the amount of blood covering the body, but apart from the obvious wounds caused by the fence, there does not seem to be any other violence. At least, Gower’s face does not appear to have been touched.
The policemen almost seem to breathe a sigh of relief. Despite the tragedy, with the man's passing they don't have to witness his suffering. Now the scene must be secured.

The most vocal of the attending bobbies has begun to regard our heroes with a quizzical eye. He frowns as he looks at Harry while he is searching the locale.

“’Ere, what’s all this then?” he says sternly. “Do you blokes know anythin’ ‘bout wots goin’ on then"?

Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:49 pm
by Mr. Handy

Reg thinks it best to let Harry do the talking.

Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:58 am
by andyw666

Harry straightens up, turning to face the constable as he removes his monocle. He inhales deeply and his previously rather sick demeanour turns icey.

"I realise this is a terrible sight but I will thank you to keep a civil tongue in your head, constable. I am Captain Addison, late of the Somersets. You will address me as captain or sir."

"My colleagues,"
He points his cane in the direction of Reg and Preston, "And I were sharing a carafe of red with this gentleman at the Army and Navy Club not half an hour ago." Harry points his cane at the major.

"That poor gentleman is, or rather was, Major John Gower, late of the Buffs. That would be the Royal East Kent Regiment if you didn't know." Harry maintains a miffed face as he regards the unfortunate policeman.

Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:06 pm
by HoneyDog
“Oh, so you knew the poor blighter, eh?” says the constable, unimpressed by Harry’s bluster. “Mebbe you know who done ‘im in then, eh?”

But careful not to take it too far, he softens his tone. “Well, p’raps you’d like to talk about it wiv the detective. We’ve sent word fer ‘elp, so one should be on ‘is way. Would you gennlemen be kind enuf to ‘ang abaht a bit?”

Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:20 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I'd be pleased to assist the investigation however I can," says Reg.

Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:27 am
by HoneyDog
Gradually the police get the scene under control and set up a cordon to prevent bystanders getting too close. Meanwhile, our heroes watch and freeze in the cold December night. After about an hour, a man approaches them. He is of average height, clean-shaven and well-built – a tough-looking man. His clothing is well-worn, but not shabby.

“Good evening Gentlemen” he greets the companions, without offering to shake hands. “I’m Inspector Craddock of Scotland Yard. I’d like to talk to you about the deceased, but I have some things to attend to here. Why don’t you return to the Army and Navy Club and wait in comfort? I’ll try not to keep you waiting too long.”

Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:37 am
by andyw666

Harry is by now looking incandescent with rage.

"Inspector, this is too much! We came here in the first place as we heard the police whistle and thought one of your chaps was in trouble. We find a member of our club horribly killed. One of your men in uniform accuses me - me! -of complicity in murder. We freeze out here for an hour and now you haven't time to talk to us!"

"This is beyond the pale! What has come to pass that gentlemen - gentlemen! - are treated in such a disrespectful manner. Is this still England? I shall be writing a letter of complaint to your commissioner and my local Member!"

Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:50 am
by HoneyDog
The Inspector is completely unfazed by Harry’s anger.

“That’s your prerogative sir” he says. “I will talk to you all now then as you prefer. Please tell me who you are and how well you knew the deceased?”

Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:08 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm Reginald Smythe," says Reg, "former Sergeant-Major of Prince Albert's Somersets. I've only met the deceased this evening."

Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:33 am
by andyw666

Harry snaps out, "And I am Captain Harry Addison, also late of Prince Albert's Somersets. Although we are members of the same club, until this evening I had never met the late Major Gower. And I have no idea how the poor wretch managed to wind up impaled on the fence as he was. We arrived after the police."

Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:59 am
by Rooter
Dr. Francis Preston

Preston gives his credentials. "Staff at the Army and Navy Club will be able to testify that the Major left early after we had dined hence we were all still inside the Club when this tragedy must have occurred."

Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:45 pm
by HoneyDog
“Thank you” says Craddock. “One of my men will check on that. I appreciate your cooperation gentlemen. Although you only knew Major Gower a short time, do you have any ideas as to who did this or why it happened?”

Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:29 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I believe this murder may be related to the recent murder of Sergeant-Major Crouch, from the Major's regiment," says Reg. "There was also a private from that regiment who died recently. It was believed at the time that he fell off a train platform, but that might be worth a second look under the circumstances."

Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:40 pm
by HoneyDog
Craddock turns his steely gaze to Reg, intensely interested.

“The same regiment? I haven’t heard about this murder. Please tell me what you know.”

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:22 am
by Mr. Handy

"Crouch was murdered in Dover, strangled to death outside his home," says Reg. "Sergeant Morrison of the Dover constabulary is investigating the murder, under the supervision of Inspector Banks. A neighbor had seen someone very tall by near the back gate of his cottage the night of the murder. Whoever put the Major up on that fence must have been likewise very tall. The killer was very strong too. His windpipe had been crushed, the bones in the neck ground together, and bruises left by fingers were on his throat."

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:20 am
by HoneyDog
Craddock gives Reg his full attention as he listens.

“I see” he says as Reg finishes. “And you also mentioned a private who met with an accident?”

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:24 am
by Mr. Handy

"An apparent accident," continues Reg. "I wouldn't be so sure. There's a saying: once is happenstance, twice is a coincidence, three times is enemy action. The man reportedly fell from the platform at Charing Cross Station and was struck by a train last week. His name was Orland Reynolds."

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:21 am
by HoneyDog
Craddock takes notes. “I’ll be sure to follow this up. May I ask why you gentlemen are so interested in these matters? You seem to be conducting an investigation of your own.”

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:14 am
by Rooter
Dr. Francis Preston

"Our primary concern, sir, was to warn our service compatriots of the potential threat to their lives. It must be said that thus far our efforts have met with skepticism."

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:53 pm
by HoneyDog
Craddock taps his pencil against his notepad. “Well, if there is a connection between these deaths, and there might well be, I’m sure that any other threats will be taken more seriously.”

He pauses. “I take it from your words that Major Gower didn’t take your warning to heart. Also, that there are other former members who might be at risk. Do you know of anyone else?”

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:16 am
by andyw666

Harry has been attempting to regain his composure while occupying himself emptying, refilling and lighting his pipe.

Still sounding irked, he snaps out, "The two we could name are Colonel Hollingsworth and a Mr Alan Paice, a former junior officer. Paice is the uncle of one of our friends and he has a bookshop on Charing Cross Road. One presumes, however, that any member of that regiment may be in peril, if the hypothesis proves true."

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:09 am
by Mr. Handy

"We tried to warn the Colonel too," says Reg, "but he wouldn't receive visitors. He hasn't been seen out for some time. He hasn't been to the club, and he didn't even go to Crouch's funeral."

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:24 am
by HoneyDog
“Is that so?” replies the Inspector, jotting down the names and details.

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:40 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, we called upon him at Kandahar House," says Reg. "His butler went to tell him who we were and why we had come, then came back and said the Colonel wouldn't see us. I think under the circumstances he wouldn't refuse to see you. Kandahar House is quite nice, very posh. He couldn't possibly afford it on a colonel's salary, so he must have some other source of income."

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:29 pm
by Rooter
Dr. Francis Preston

"Inspector, I presume your men have been searching the area this past hour. Has any trace of an attacker been found? Did the officers who found him first notice anyone fleeing? The Major said something about 'Abadan' in his last words. Perhaps a name?"

Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:05 am
by HoneyDog
”We’re still in the process of searching. No doubt we will want to talk to the Colonel. I want to thank you gentlemen for your help. I will be following up on the information you’ve given me, so please leave this in our hands.”

Craddock bids the companions good night after asking them to contact him if they remember anything else of relevance. They are escorted from the scene.
OOC,Unless you want to follow up on anything else immediately, we can move to the next day. What would you like to investigate next?

Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:56 am
by Mr. Handy

"You're quite welcome, Inspector," says Reg. "Good evening."
OOC,Yes, I don't think there's anything else we can do tonight, so I'm ready to move to the next day. With libraries open on Monday, there should be a chance for those who are capable of doing so to do some research. We might want to take a closer look at [b]Reynolds[/b]'s death.

Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:38 am
by andyw666

Harry harrumphs and smokes his pipe but does touch his top hat to the inspector (he cannot bring himself to be truly discourteous).

To his colleagues, Harry suggests, "Shall we meet for breakfast again and plan the day?"
OOC,Seems we have several leads: follow up the colonel, the other doctor, the word abalad, arranging access to the British Library and following up whether the Buffs ever made the papers of the day.

Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:38 am
by Rooter
Dr. Francis Preston

"And if the killer strikes again whilst we are sitting about with our nosebags on? It seems to me our priority must be to urgently impress upon the remainder of the regiment the gravity of the situation. It would make sense for me to contact Dr. Sangster through our shared profession, while there are also Paice and Norton. Not forgetting the Colonel, of course. Applying to the Library will take days. But we now have a clue, this 'Abadan', which one of the other three may recognize and be more talkative to us than the Colonel about. In the interest of rapid action I submit we should interview the three individually first thing. Indeed if the killer is to be caught we may find ourselves needing to keep a constant guard upon them."

Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:45 am
by andyw666

Harry sighs and beckons his colleagues slightly further away from the good men of the Met, for a more private conversation.

"Doctor, no-one could doubt your pluck but we are former Army men and we act with a plan."

"Now firstly, need I remind you that your alleged bedside manner has so far failed to gain an audience with the colonel and very nearly caused a dispute with the late major. If we are to even attempt to convince the colonel, we need more of an idea of the lay of the land. Then we approach him during traditional visiting hours, 3pm ish."

"The other gentlemen may be easier to convince but I would still prefer we had more facts at hand. In any event, both the major and before him the sergeant-major were killed outside at night. Surely a few hours tomorrow morning will not be wasted conducting our researches."

"Secondly, guarding these gentlemen is not our role. If the authorities feel they are in danger, it is for the police to protect them."

"We can be of far greater service using our prior Army experience to determine if this is connected to the activities of the Buffs. That is where our worth lies. We will see that which the worthy inspector does not."

"None of which leads me to think starting with a good breakfast will be time wasted."

Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:56 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well said, Captain," adds Reg. "A soldier who misses breakfast runs the risk of missing lunch and supper as well."

Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:37 am
by andyw666

Harry looks for a street urchin interested in running a note to Helena, inviting her to breakfast at the same time and place, on the morrow.