Chapter 4: Mysteries of The Sudan

London, 1891. Former members of a British Army infantry regiment are being murdered. The investigators must uncover the secrets which link an incident in war-torn Sudan to an ancient evil, and prevent it from rising again.

Moderator: HoneyDog

HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Chapter 4: Mysteries of The Sudan

Post by HoneyDog »

London, Sunday December 10th, 10am
Lockharts.jpg
The companions meet again on a cold and cloudy day at Lockharts in West Smithfield near the Market. Although it might be a less salubrious meeting point for those of more refined tastes, it is fairly close to Reg’s East London abode. Here the heroes can get a cheap cup of tea or coffee and some hearty breakfast, and discuss their plans for the day. Being a Sunday, the Market is closed, and the area is fairly quiet.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Re: Chapter 4: Mysteries of The Sudan

Post by Rooter »

Dr. Francis Preston

Preston lights his pipe. "As a physician it would not seem out of the ordinary for me to inquire after the colonel's health as I would on any house call. The recent deaths of two of his men is bound to have a detrimental psychological effect. I see it regularly in soldiers."
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 8 months

Post by HelplessBystander »

Helena nodded. "I have seen many similar incidents as well, you would be surprised at how frequent mental detriments appear."
My Call of Cthulhu Campaigns:
Dead Men Walking (Looking for new members)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, that strikes me as a good reason for a visit," says Reg, pausing to take a sip of his coffee.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

"Good Doctor, shall we come along with you?" Helena asked.
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 14 years 5 months

Post by andyw666 »

Harry, resplendent in fine morning suit, has been happily tucking into a cooked breakfast of bacon and eggs, accompanied by coffee. He had been regaling the company with tales of the excellent and very strong Turkish coffee he enjoyed while training troops for the Ottoman Empire. "The Ottomans have a proverb, 'Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.' And they make very fine ice cream too."

He pauses at Dr Preston's suggestion. "So your plan, doctor, is to make a foray on the colonel's abode under cover of a house visit to a patient you do not have, and indeed have never before meet?"
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

"I believe that is exactly what he is saying." Helena said, looking at Harry.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Dr. Francis Preston

"I merely venture to suggest that I am willing to give aid where it is necessary. He is, after all, your superior officer and whether he will be receptive to the advances of the lower ranks will depend upon his personality. A physician may be more readily accepted. But I see no reason to worry as we are all bound by ties of service, are we not? Our primary concern must be for the safety of these soldiers."
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Harry raises his eyebrows in doubt but waves his coffee cup expansively. "I'm not criticising your alleged plan of attack, just clarifying details. Don't let my concerns dissuade you."

"Happily, I shall be nowhere nearby. I shall be conducting some research into the history of the Buffs. If there is a connection between the murder of the sergeant major and the death of the second chap, and I'm still not convinced there is, the common element would seem to be the regiment. Which leads one to wonder if they made some enemies with very long memories and apparently the ability to strike even here on our green islands."

"I thought I might take young James with me."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,Remember, today is a Sunday.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Dr. Francis Preston

"Well, time is pressing and all this sitting around in clubs eating and drinking isn't getting us anywhere. We ought to have gone directly to the house since if the colonel is a churchgoer we may have missed him by now. I'll hail a carriage for those of us who wish to go." Preston gets to his feet.
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

OOC,What - research wise - is open in London on a Sunday in the Gaslight era? The British Library?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Do we know which church is his?" asks Reg. "It might be worth paying it a visit and seeing if he shows up there. If he doesn't, that in itself would be cause for alarm."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Harry, finishing his breakfast, pulls out a pipe and lights it up.

"Sunday! I had forgotten. I believe the British Museum is open Sunday afternoons, however. That might be a good place to start."
OOC,Would Harry already have access to the British Museum Reading Room? It's discussed on p.56 of the Gaslight rules. He is a somewhat literate character and does have a university educated background...
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,No, you need to apply in writing and in my experience you have to specify exactly which book you want to read, you can't really walk off the street and go browsing. In honesty, the events you're investigating are too recent to have been written about.
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Harry pauses for thought. "Might be too hard on a Sunday. I wonder if the War Office would have any records of the Buffs' activities? Or the Colonial Office I suppose? Otherwise, I could head back to the Club and just ask about, see if anyone had heard anything?"
Newspapers,Is there a good newspaper archive anywhere in Victorian London? The Gaslight rules mention a Newspaper Room also at the British Museum?
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

"Pardon me for the foolish suggestion, but couldn't you check the papers for the recent military events?" Helena suggested timidly. "Perhaps the London Times had covered these events, if I'm not mistaken. These events generally gets reported."
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Harry nods agreeably and puffs on this pipe. "I don't think it's a foolish suggestion and I should very much like to check back issues off the papers, but where does one go to check back issues? Does the Times itself have back issues available to read?"
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,Sorry Andy, but it's[i] Sunday[/i]. Apart from places to eat and drink, all other businesses will be closed. Government offices will certainly be closed. Would you all like to go to the Colonel's house? I can move the action there.
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

OOC,Hmmm, well, I would tend to say the Victorians were very conscious of class and social guidelines. Harry, despite his roguish persona, is somewhere approaching upper class and views barging in on the colonel without good excuse as a significant social faux pas. Having said that, speaking meta, I don't want to slow the game down. Maybe Harry can just hang out at the Club and ask around about the Buffs?

Return to “The Night of the Jackals”