Chapter 2: The Funeral

London, 1891. Former members of a British Army infantry regiment are being murdered. The investigators must uncover the secrets which link an incident in war-torn Sudan to an ancient evil, and prevent it from rising again.

Moderator: HoneyDog

HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Re: Chapter 2: The Funeral

Post by HoneyDog »

Sergeant Morrison is unfazed by this demand.

"You're mistaken sir. We don't have commissioned officers in the police. And my rank and standing is more than sufficient to conduct investigations without continual supervision. The officer in charge of the investigation is Inspector Banks. You are welcome to go to Dover Police Station to talk with him if you like".

Somewhat peeved, he asks for and receives the names and addresses of Paice and Norton.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Post by Rooter »

Dr. Francis Preston

"I think we can best be of assistance to the investigation by using our shared army background to learn more about the victim from those closest to him," Preston says. "For instance, as it appears a couple of us are members of this same club we could speak to the Colonel who was his commanding officer." He turns back to Sergeant Morrison. "I presume you are aware that another former member of the same unit died suddenly not long ago in odd circumstances?"
Juulm
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 6 years 4 months

Post by Juulm »

James WInter

I agree with the doctor, i have the strong feeling that the reason of the murders are conected.
Do you know anything about that officer?
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“No, I wasn’t aware” replies the Sergeant, looking interested. “Can you tell me more about this? Another man was murdered?”

“Well, it wasn’t ruled as a murder, just a tragic accident” explains Paice. “Another man from the battalion, Orland Reynolds, fell off the platform at Charing Cross Station and was killed by a train last week.”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"It might be worth a second look," says Reg. "If it wasn't an accident after all, there could be more clues. Perhaps someone should ask the witnesses if they saw a very tall man on the platform."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Paice laughs, albeit a little nervously. “Thanks for taking an interest everyone, but I’m sure that it’s just a terrible coincidence. You really shouldn’t trouble yourselves. The Dover police seem to have everything in hand. Sergeant, please contact me if you require anything else”.

He turns to Norton. “Are you coming back to London, Norton?” he asks.

Norton nods. The news about Reynolds obviously took him by surprise, but he says nothing.

"Well, I'll be sure to look into the reports regarding your friend Reynolds" says Morrison, "but unless there's something linking it directly to this case..." he spreads his hands in a gesture of supplication. "By the sounds of it, it was already ruled to be an accident".

Paice nods in affirmation.

Morrison touches his hat. "Good day to you gentlemen. Ma'am." He moves off, huddled against the cold.
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 14 years 5 months

Post by andyw666 »

Harry sniffs. As an aside to his colleagues, he mutters, "Commissioned or not, an inspector's the one with officer's epaulettes on his shoulders."
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Post by Rooter »

Dr. Francis Preston

"Well, what say we head along to the Army and Navy Club in Pall Mall for a refresher?" Preston suggests. "Maybe we'll run into the Colonel there and perhaps some others who knew the deceased. Norton, Paice here tells us you work there?" Perhaps that accounts for the smell of whiskey on the man's clothes despite not seeming drunk, he thinks.
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 8 months

Post by HelplessBystander »

"Perhaps a drink would be nice." Helena stated. "It seems most appropriate in a situation like this."
My Call of Cthulhu Campaigns:
Dead Men Walking (Looking for new members)
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“That’s right sir” replies Norton to Preston. “The Colonel and Major Gower were kind enough to fix me up with a job there. In fact, I’ll be working tonight. Perhaps the Major, and even the Colonel will be there.”

He glances doubtfully at Helena. “I’m afraid you’d have to use the waiting room, Miss. Gentlemen only, you know” he mumbles apologetically.

“Well, I’ll come along, and maybe I can introduce you. Shall we return to the station?” asks Paice.
OOC,Unless you want to do anything else here, I'll return the action to London and the club in a new thread tomorrow.
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 14 years 5 months

Post by andyw666 »

Harry looks much cheerier.

"That sounds more like it. A decent dinner, drinks, and perhaps a few hands of cards. Enough of this penance in the country!"
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

Helena intends to get involved, and heads off to find a clothing store.
OOC:   Can Helena find a clothing store or something to purchase male clothing to be used as disguise? It's okay if that doesn't work.  
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,Sorry, but Paice would never allow it. Is taking such a risk really necessary at this point? Helena can find another way into the club if she wants, but she won't be able to mix freely with the club goers. If you can't think of something else, try rolling Idea.
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

OOC:   sure, no worries. But if a stretch anyways.  
No, that would be too ridiculous, Helena thought, hiding a slight distance away from Paice, perhaps she could disguise herself as a hostess or as one of the workers there. Bribing one of the guards could work too, so long as it doesn't delve into the worst case scenario, then she should be fine. Worst comes to worst, she'll just sneak in the old fashioned way.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,Again, please consider the risk in proportion to the gain. They're only going to the club to try and talk to a couple of guys. Is there any point bribing or sneaking in to the place when getting discovered could involve the police being called? What do you expect to find out? If you like, roll Idea and if successful I'll give you a hint on what you can do.
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

Helena pondered slightly about risks and, ultimately, the benefits, and realised that it's probably not worth it.
IDEA 65%,[dice]0[/dice]

Return to “The Night of the Jackals”