The Parlour

London, 1891. Former members of a British Army infantry regiment are being murdered. The investigators must uncover the secrets which link an incident in war-torn Sudan to an ancient evil, and prevent it from rising again.

Moderator: HoneyDog

Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Re: The Parlour

Post by Rooter »

Despite what my character says I'm not knocking your approach andyw - I was actually thinking the library mentioned at the army and navy club might have a role for research at some point in the game but since our keeper has let slip otherwise we'll just have to crack on and preserve HD's sanity.
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 14 years 4 months

Post by andyw666 »

All good.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Post by HoneyDog »

All your mini-threads are played out. Shall we advance to 6 pm, and you are back together to discuss your findings? We will go back to the original Chapter 5 thread.
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

I should have mentioned, I'm on a course interstate this week, can only post a bit in the evenings. Cheers, Andy
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Golly! I don't know what that is, but have fun.
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Sorry, I meant interstate as in not in my home city but in another city in another state. Otherwise, very unglamorous I'm afraid.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

I have to get used to this Gaslight lingo!
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

:D
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Who dares to ask for the address of the late Major Gower? What yarn will you spin to convince the stoic staff of the Army and Navy Club? Who will take up this challenge?

I like your new icon Wruter. Is that the project you were working on by chance?
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Preston could say he was the attending doctor at the murder and needs the address for his records or to write a death certificate.

Thank you, HD, it is. I have a story being published soon in a new companion book for the game Ghastly Affair.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

That is a good idea.

Congratulations on getting your story published!
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

That would be an acceptable approach.

Congratulations Wruter! So the scenario has become a story now?
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

That's very cool, congrats. It is my life dream to get something published!
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 7 months

Post by HelplessBystander »

Yep, congratulations! :)
My Call of Cthulhu Campaigns:
Dead Men Walking (Looking for new members)
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Thanks for the congratulations.

Not a scenario, HD, basically I wrote a novel based on the backstory of a character I was playing in the game just for fun, I contacted the game's publisher directly about it and they accepted it as an official tie-in. They wanted this new short story about the same character for inclusion in this companion book along with all the (more important) game content. A bit unusual, really.
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Hmm, that doesn't look so good.

For what it's worth, the Gower address thing was just covering all bases, in case he still had important treasures stashed at his place, which we could have checked eventually (or have the police check). Obviously, the main game for Harry was next morning at the museum with one person to talk to and one potential suspect, now we'd got some idea what was going on.

I have no clue why Helena decided to even go the path of getting Norton's address, I thought it was exceedingly evident Norton was hiding out in the Club, he'd given us the pertinent info, and all I wanted was Gower's address. And I'm not trying to start an argument here but, Helplessbystander, given the parameters of the game, a female spy was going to have access problems. A Hollywood-esque Cockney urchin from Mary Poppins would probably have had more luck. Sometimes, your favorite character just won't fit in.

Well, fuck it, I was really enjoying this game. Let me know if you decide to kick it off again sometime, Honeydog.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

I don't think we should give up on the game. I think you're doing a fine job as Keeper, HoneyDog, and I'd like to continue playing.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 7 months

Post by HelplessBystander »

No offence taken, andyw666, I think I had been a bit to out of the left field on this one as well. If I pissed you off as a KP, HD, I really do apologise. It just goes to show that my skills as a PL needs improvement, honestly, I did have a different character idea in mind when I had joined the scenario. I do hope we get to finish the scenario.

HD, if it really did bother you that much that my character didn't fit into the plot, I promise that I am willing to submit a new character to have a stronger fit into the overall plot. It's genuinely not my intention to be the annoying ass that no one wants around the table. I wasn't trying to be passive-aggressive to the KP, but after rereading my posts, I could see that my posts could be interpreted that way. Sincere apologies. You are doing a fine job as a keeper.

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to run the game.
My Call of Cthulhu Campaigns:
Dead Men Walking (Looking for new members)
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

As you all want to continue I'll carry on, I don’t want to have wasted your efforts.

I understand about the Gower address Andy – it wouldn’t have taken long to look into, but there’s no way for you to get it now. Just letting you know it wouldn’t have made any difference.

HelplessBystander, your character is fine, you just need to understand that what you do affects the others that you’re playing the game with too. So if your character behaves badly, or is caught doing something wrong, it’s going to have consequences for the others. If I'm asking you to reconsider your actions, its because I have this in mind. Please try to play as a team; there will be times when your character cannot play a full part due to the circumstances, but we can make up for that at a later point. And you yourself admitted to the passive-aggressive thing – please, it’s really not an endearing trait and I fail to see why you want your characters to act that way. And it’s not just this game.

I feel I’m being too bossy and trying to push you all in a particular direction; I’m sorry for that and I’ll be more flexible.

Shall we start the game at the next day? You can decide which clues you want to follow up.

I'll check out your story Wruter.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

I don't know if I'll get a file of the book or anything but if I do I'll send you.

A fresh start the next day sounds good. I'm sure we've all learned something from this experience.

Return to “The Night of the Jackals”