The Parlour

London, 1891. Former members of a British Army infantry regiment are being murdered. The investigators must uncover the secrets which link an incident in war-torn Sudan to an ancient evil, and prevent it from rising again.

Moderator: HoneyDog

HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

The Parlour

Post by HoneyDog »

Hi Everyone, welcome to The Night of the Jackals, and thanks for playing. This is my first time to run a Gaslight scenario, and I hope you enjoy it.

This particular adventure really has no hook to speak of, so to avoid months of playing 'getting to know you' before the investigation starts, its better if your characters already know each other. As Mr. Handy has an ex-soldier character in mind, former army comrades would be an ideal link, especially as this game has military overtones. So please select an ex- or serving soldier.

It would also be preferable if your character was an officer, as some scenes will take place at a gentlemen's club. This means that your character will either be upper class, or at least middle class. If they are retired, please select an appropriate occupation.

The characters would have been members of the same regiment, which might have a bearing on their background. Infantry and some cavalry regiments recruited geographically (and still do), for example the Connaught Rangers recruited from the counties of western Ireland (Mayo, Galway etc.), so this would be reflected in the character's background. The supporting services such as the Royal Engineers or Service Corps would be more diversified however. if you can't decide on the unit, I'll select one for you.

One of the main NPCs is the uncle of one of the characters. He is Alan Paice, formerly a lieutenant in the Royal East Kent Regiment (known as the Buffs) and who now has a bookshop in the Charing Cross Road. His unit is the one which served in Sudan and is now under threat. You can learn about the Buffs and the Mahdist War here to give you some background: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffs_(Ro ... _Regiment) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahdist_War

Can one of you select yourselves to be his nephew?
Juulm
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 6 years 3 months

Re: The Parlour

Post by Juulm »

My chars name and story can easily be edied to fit the family bounds with alan if you wish to
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Thanks for volunteering to be the nephew, you don't have to change your story or name. He can be your maternal uncle.
Juulm
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 6 years 3 months

Post by Juulm »

HoneyDog wrote:Thanks for volunteering to be the nephew, you don't have to change your story or name. He can be your maternal uncle.
alright, i hope i didn't get myself a family curse with that ;)
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Now everyone is ready, we can begin. I'll start the thread later tonight.

The companions will be meeting for a reunion, reminiscing about their service days and time in the colonies, and generally catching up.
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 7 months

Post by HelplessBystander »

Oh man, I'm so sorry, I didn't realise the thread already started. I'll hop in.
My Call of Cthulhu Campaigns:
Dead Men Walking (Looking for new members)
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 14 years 4 months

Post by andyw666 »

Team, I'm holidaying this week in a tiny beach town, I do have phone internet but may not be as prolific in my posting. - Andy
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

It sounds awful Andy. Try not to go insane from lack of internet access.
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Fear not HoneyDog. The beach, fish + chips, over eating, over drinking, some fishing, and numerous visits to the cafes shall help fight off the SAN loss.

BTW, and forgive me if everyone knows this already, but in reference to Capt Harry's comments, technically the ranks of Inspector and above were commissioned officer ranks in the British police forces at that time.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Like I said, it sounds awful! The place is probably crawling with Deep Ones.

I had thought that the commissioning of officers was a military thing, and such stuff was avoided in the police, but I'm really not an expert, so I apologise if I'm in error. Harry has irritated the Sergeant anyway, and you won't be getting anything else out of him!
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Excellent! It wouldn't be Gaslight without some inter-class "interaction"!!
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Merry Xmas!
Attachments
a25a8f56942d4c106b0e79f4e11b476b--handmade-ornaments-handmade-christmas.jpg
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Happy Holidays Everyone! Especially Cthulhu worshippers.
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Lockhart's is a coffee house referred to in the Sherlock novel The House of Silk by A Horowitz. I have no idea if it actually exists! Good story by the way, a decent effort at a licensed Holmes novel. Good audio book too. Grim though.
You stowed your case at the left luggage office and went with her to a coffee house. Might it have been Lockhart's? I'm told the coffee there is particularly good.'
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Lockhart's Cocoa Rooms were the Victorian equivalent of Starbucks, or to be more anglocentric, Costa Coffee. I don't have an address, but there was probably one in the West End.
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Ha! There you go, learn something every day. I am reassured to know my reliance on Mr Holmes (as interpreted by Mr Horowitz) was well placed.

Somewhere in my bookshelf, I know I have some kind of source book on Victoria's London. Must go find it.

PS. Exclusive extract: House of Silk | Herald Sun
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/ipad/exclus ... 1514331001
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Happy New Year Everyone. Keep praying to the Great One.

As HelplessBystander is away, I'll roll for him to keep things moving. juulm too - I hope we haven't lost him!
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

SAN rolls hate me.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Get ready, that was only the first...
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 7 months

Post by HelplessBystander »

Sorry for being so inactive. China's making keeping up with RPs difficult. Will try to squeeze one in at one point in time.
My Call of Cthulhu Campaigns:
Dead Men Walking (Looking for new members)

Return to “The Night of the Jackals”