Chapter 7b: Walk like an Egyptian (Preston & James)

London, 1891. Former members of a British Army infantry regiment are being murdered. The investigators must uncover the secrets which link an incident in war-torn Sudan to an ancient evil, and prevent it from rising again.

Moderator: HoneyDog

HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Re: Chapter 7b: Walk like an Egyptian (Preston & James)

Post by HoneyDog »

“I don’t doubt it. Yes, I work for the Cairo museum. I had heard rumours of the raid made by Colonel Hollingsworth during my research in Northern Sudan. To my horror, after making some enquiries here, I found them to be true.”

Faez stops a passing hotel staff member and requests some tea be brought to his room.

The room itself is a modest suite. There is a small foyer with a desk and chair, with a divan for relaxing. Faez indicates for our heroes to take a seat and takes the chair for himself. Some books and writing instruments lay on the desk. Another door leads off to what must be the bedroom. There doesn’t seem to be anything out if the ordinary.

“I take it that your friends informed you about their meeting with me?” Faez asks. “It was with great horror and sadness that I learned about the deaths of those soldiers. It would appear that the evil prophecy is coming to fruition. Colonel Hollingsworth has a lot to answer for.” He shakes his head grimly.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Post by Rooter »

Dr. Francis Preston

"Indeed. My friends are attempting to speak with him at this very moment. Tell me, Mr. Faez, and you realize that as a medical proffesional I do not ask this lightly, but do you believe it is possible for the dead to be reanimated?" Preston describes the events at Dr. Jordan's apartment. "These apparently deceased men wore masks of canines or jackals. Is this not the symbol of Anubis or somesuch Egyptian deity?"
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Faez listens aghast to this tale. “I have heard tell that there exists magic do raise the dead and have them do your bidding” he finally says. “Of course, to rational minds it sounds fantastic, but there is truth to it. And you have witnessed it, sir.”

He dabs his nose with a handkerchief. Just then, there is a knock at the door – the tea has arrived. Faez thanks the porter and pours tea for everyone. After taking a sip, he continues.

Colonel Hollingsworth must be persuaded to part with this mummy. I fear that its dark power may have corrupted him. Gentlemen, do you think that this can be done?”
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Dr. Francis Preston

Preston accepts the tea. "Of course I hope so but if we cannot persuade him then perhaps only the police can intervene. But what is this dark power you speak of? Does it have something to do with the prophecy written in the scrolls and this Nyarlathotep?"
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“I know not of this… Nyarlathotep, you said? I have no idea as to the content of the scrolls. I am hearing this for the first time, after all. As I told your friends, the cult is shrouded in mystery, not much is known about them. The jackal is their symbol, and it does represent Anubis, so perhaps they worship him in some capacity.”

Faez puts down his teacup.

Colonel Hollingsworth committed a grave act – murder and theft. He stole from the cult, and has prospered through his theft. So I am thinking that such a man can be easily corrupted, and the dark powers of the cult might win him to their cause, whatever it may be.”

He picks up his tea again, then puts it down.

“If we can persuade him to part with the mummy, then we will now that he is not corrupted. My colleagues and I at the Cairo Museum could take care of it. It may not pose a danger in its native land. Let me consult with them. I can then plan a course of action.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Dr. Francis Preston

"Yes, that sounds like a good idea. But do you not fear reprisals from the cult if you become involved?"

Preston studies the man closely, attempting to determine if he is being entirely forthcoming.
Spoiler:
Psychology 35%[dice]0[/dice]
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“Of course, there is always a risk” replies Faez. “But this cannot be allowed to continue. Perhaps, tomorrow, I could join you at Hollingworth’s mansion after consulting my colleagues?”
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Dr. Francis Preston

"Very well. I shall make arrangements with my companions to meet there at a convenient time. Thank you for meeting with me, Mr. Faez." Preston drains his tea and gets up to leave, intending to head back to the Army and Navy Club for the night.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“Excellent!” say Faez, standing. “Please send a message here to the hotel when you are ready. Together we will beat this curse”.
OOC,Perhaps we’ve lost Ebinthetropics. I’ll mail and see if he wants to join you.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

James returns to his flat while Preston checks in at the Army & Navy Club. As he is approaching near the back entrance, he hears a strange noise from where the rubbish bins are stored. It sounded like a gasp?
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Dr. Francis Preston

"Hello there?" Preston cautiously approaches the bins.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Walking cautiously around the bins, Preston is greeted by a horrific view. Laying with his face frozen in absolute terror, eyes staring, mouth agape, is Toby Norton. Rubbish is strewn around him; he was obviously taking out the bins when he was attacked. He lays at an unnatural angle - his back seems to have been broken. The little man is a hideous, but pitiful sight.
OOC,Roll SAN for this tragic scene - if you fail roll 1d3 for loss. Also, roll Spot Hidden.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Dr. Francis Preston
Spoiler:
SAN 73[dice]0[/dice]Spot Hidden 55%[dice]1[/dice]
Though shocked and appalled, Preston's training quickly takes over. "Help!" he cries, raising the alarm. Then he kneels beside Norton, feeling for a pulse.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Norton is obviously dead. Preston can see a man, fleeing into the foggy night.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Dr. Francis Preston

"Stop!" Preston runs after the fleeing man, drawing the revolver from his pocket.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Preston pursues the figure, but the gloomy night is getting foggier by the minute. It is hard to make him out in the murk.
OOC:   Roll Luck. If you succeed, you keep on his trail and get closer as he is slower than you. You can attempt a shot, but as you are both moving and due to the fog you have a -15% penalty, and you always run the risk of hitting a bystander.  
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Dr. Francis Preston
Spoiler:
Luck 75%[dice]0[/dice]
Despite the gloom Preston manages to close the gap on his quarry but doesn't dare attempt to fire. If he can just get close enough to grab the man or at least identify him...
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

As Preston nears the shambling figure he notices its head – the long ears, the snout-like face – a jackal!
OOC:   Roll Luck once more. Success will put Preston in range of grappling the figure, if he wants, or a shot at 20%.  
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Dr. Francis Preston
Spoiler:
Luck 75%[dice]0[/dice]
Spoiler:
Grapple 25%[dice]1[/dice]
Gaining on the culprit, Preston tries to grapple him but is unable to take a firm hold.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

The jackal-masked figure turns and swings its fist.
Fist/Punch,Fist 65: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/607315]Fist[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]5[/b] Damage 1d3+1d4: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/607317]Fist damage[/url]: [u]1d3+1d4[/u] [b]5[/b]
The blow connects to Preston's chest, breaking a rib and knocking him breathless to the ground, where he lays in agony. The figure flees into the fog.
OOC:   Sorry Wruter, critical success: he got Preston good.  

Return to “The Night of the Jackals”