Chapter 6a: The Museum (Harry and Helena)

London, 1891. Former members of a British Army infantry regiment are being murdered. The investigators must uncover the secrets which link an incident in war-torn Sudan to an ancient evil, and prevent it from rising again.

Moderator: HoneyDog

HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Chapter 6a: The Museum (Harry and Helena)

Post by HoneyDog »

Harry and Helena make their way to the Egyptian Wing of the museum. It is an impressive exhibit, full of the treasures looted from the land of that ancient civilization; sarcophogi, mummies, masks and gold statuettes abound. The companions look for someone who can help them, and are directed to one of the curators, a Doctor Smith.

Smith is an elderly man, with sparse white hair. He frowns impatiently.

“Yes yes”
he says, in a fussy manner. “What can I help you with? I’m very busy you know.”
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 14 years 4 months

Re: Chapter 6a: The Museum (Harry and Helena)

Post by andyw666 »

Harry raises his bowler politely. "Doctor, I shan't take more than a moment of your time. I am a positively rabid enthusiast for the Egyptian and have been contemplating making a substantial donation to the museum."

"Tell me though, do you have any exhibits here from Abadan, perchance?"
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“What?” splutters Smith. “Where? Never heard of it. Abadan? What? The is the British Museum man. Is it from Akhenaten’s reign? Hmm? Or Ptolemy? Could be Middle Kingdom. An offshoot of the Hittites, eh? Give me more information man!”
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 7 months

Post by HelplessBystander »

"Abadan would be a good leg away from the Middle Kingdom, from what I gather." Helena muttered quietly, before turning towards the Doctor Smith "Doctor, I don't suppose there's any artefacts donated by Colonel Hollingsworth?"
My Call of Cthulhu Campaigns:
Dead Men Walking (Looking for new members)
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“Colonel who? Never heard of him! We don’t have anything here from anywhere called Abadan.” Smith walks off, muttering.

Before the companions can react, they hear a soft, cultured voice from behind them.

“Abadan! That’s not a name I hear too often”.

Turning around, they are presented with a smartly-dressed man in his thirties or forties, of average build, although on the slight side. He wears a well-trimmed suit and a tie and hat. He has glasses, a small, neatly trimmed mustache and an easy smile. He dabs at his nose with a handkerchief.

“Allow me to introduce myself. I am Mounir Faez, a scholar, and I know a little more about Egypt than some of the pharaoh and tomb-obsessed professors here.”
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Harry turns around and beams happily. He politely tips his bowler.

"Captain Harry Addison, your servant sir. My companion and I would be jolly grateful for anything you could tell us about this Abadan place. Seems a chap I know from my army days may have access to some items of interest from the place. Question is, is the museum - or any other party - interested in collecting the stuff?"
OOC,Any chance of a Psychology roll to get some sense of Faez' emotions or motives?
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,Sure, you can roll if you like.
“Ah!” exclaims Faez. “You are referring to Colonel Hollingsworth, are you not, Captain? Yes, I am familiar with Abadan, and with the stories about that place. And I have met the Colonel.”

His face takes on a serious expression. “But how would you know about such an obscure place, if I may be so bold as to ask? Is it from the Colonel?”
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

"Good lord, no sir," Harry replies with force. "I am acquainted with Colonel Hollingsworth but I most certainly would not claim to be his friend. I very much doubt the colonel would tell me what day of the week it was, much less provide information on odd parts of the world."

"Chap I'm referring to is another party but - ahem - I'm afraid I'm not at liberty to reveal his name. I'm just making enquiries, finding the lay of the land as we used to say on campaign."

"Is this Abadan place special then?"

Psych,Harry's Psychology is 70% and he rolls... [dice]0[/dice]
OOC:   Crap!  
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Faez’ voice drops a notch.

“Well, it is the subject of some legends regarding a cult that is said to have resided there, a very ancient one. I have seen some writings on it in my homeland. They reputedly worshipped dark forces that predate those of the ancient Egyptians, the ones you can see around you here. Their first high priest had magical powers.”

He shrugs his shoulders and spreads his hands.

“In modern times, people scoff at what they see as superstition. But I have seen very strange things in my studies, so I know that it is not good to discount these things completely.”
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Harry nods agreeably. "Well, sir, you'd be hard pressed to find more superstitious people than soldiers, except perhaps sailors, lily-livered dolphin lovers. I myself would prefer to avoid all manner of curses and the like if I may."

"Can you tell me though, are the modern day residents of Abadan more agreeable types? I have met many fearsome warriors in North Africa."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Faez pauses to wipe his nose. “I am sorry, I am not used to such cold, it makes me ill.”

Thinking, he frowns. “The existence of the cult was known to local people, as is Colonel Hollingsworth’s raid, which is how I came to learn about it. Abadan itself doesn’t exist now, but I believe that there may be some cult members left. That’s why I tried to warn him, that he may be in danger from remnants of the cult who are plotting revenge. But he laughed at me and forced me from his house.” Faez looks angry.
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 7 months

Post by HelplessBystander »

Helena observed Faez as she attempted to determine whether he was telling the truth and discern his emotions.
Psychology 05%,[dice]0[/dice] ...[b]Helena[/b] does have really bad luck.
My Call of Cthulhu Campaigns:
Dead Men Walking (Looking for new members)
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Harry nods in sympathy. "It would be accurate to say the colonel has a unfortunate personality."

"You must believe firmly in the existence of these cultists if you've gone to the trouble of seeking out the colonel. Can you tell us more about them, the cultists?"
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Faez shakes his head.

“They were very secretive, not much is known about them. The gods they worshipped were said to be very powerful though, capable of great magics. But I did hear that they were rumoured to possess great wealth. And I do take seriously the rumours of their continued existence."

He pauses for a moment.

"It is interesting, is it not, to see that Colonel Hollingsworth also appears to be quite wealthy. His house is very large and filled with many expensive things. I did not think that army officers were paid so much.”
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Harry looks unconvinced. "It is not at all uncommon for officers in Her Majesty's Army or Navy, being gentlemen, to have a private income. And the colonel's wife may have brought a significant dowry with her."

"But tell me sir, are you aware that several members of the colonel's regiment have recently been murdered most violently?"
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Faez’ mouth drops open and he mutters something in his own language.

“Then my fears – they are true! The cult is here. They are looking for revenge! I must cable my colleagues in Cairo. Please, I beg you, try to reason with the Colonel. If you need me, I will be here at the Museum.”

He tips his hat. “Good day to you both.”
OOC,He leaves unless you try to ask him something else.
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Harry looks suitably surprised. "Is there anything you can tell us to help us identify these people or stop them? Anything at all?"
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Faez pauses and looks back. “Well, I don’t know very much, but I do know that the jackal is one of their symbols.”
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Harry wrinkles his nose. "Ugh! I've encountered those creatures while hunting in Africa, most unlikable. Very well, jackal symbols are to be watched out for."

"Thank you for your help, should you have need to, you can contact me through the Army and Navy Club."
Harry tips his bowler to Faez.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Faez nods and walks away.
OOC,What would you like to do now?

Return to “The Night of the Jackals”