Chapter 5: The Search for Answers

London, 1891. Former members of a British Army infantry regiment are being murdered. The investigators must uncover the secrets which link an incident in war-torn Sudan to an ancient evil, and prevent it from rising again.

Moderator: HoneyDog

HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Chapter 5: The Search for Answers

Post by HoneyDog »

London, Monday December 11th, 10am
Lockharts.jpg
The day is another cold one. A mist hangs over the city, leaving everything covered in a film of condensation. The inhabitants of Britain’s capital trudge through the streets, wrapped up against the cold. The city is a sullen, dark place, full of mystery and foreboding.

The friends meet again at Lockharts near the great meat market at Smithfield, which today in contrast is a bustling hive of activity. Our heroes set about the task of fortifying themselves against the unpleasant weather with a filling breakfast. However the shocking events of last night cast a pall over the meeting, and it is certainly not the happy affair of last Friday’s reunion.
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 14 years 4 months

Re: Chapter 5: The Search for Answers

Post by andyw666 »

Harry, resplendent in a fresh morning suit, indefatigably attacks another cooked breakfast, chatting about coffee being illegal in the Ottoman Empire a century ago. (And noting the restorative benefits of coffee in a hot climate filled with women expecting attentive adoration from the English chap come to train their soldiers, what.)

Once the eggs, bacon et al are dispensed with, he inserts his monocle and produces his little notebook and pencil.

"Right ho, what do we need to follow up? I'm thinking we divide and conquer."

"This afternoon - during visiting hours this time - perhaps someone should call upon the colonel. I suppose we should alert old Paice to be en garde. We also should speak with the other doctor, someone needs to look up the word abalad, we need to see about arranging access to the British Library and following up whether the Buffs ever made the papers of the day. Does The Times keep a collection of back issues?"
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Post by Rooter »

Dr. Francis Preston

Preston paces restlessly, puffing on his pipe. "As I was saying last night, with lives at risk it is imperative that we communicate our suspicions to those concerned. There simply isn't the time for books and newspapers. Now, I concede that the Colonel will benefit from a more authoritative approach hence I will leave him to you. I will contact my colleague Dr. Sangster at once. That leaves Paice and Norton. We must warn each of them and ask if the name Abadan rings a bell. And I still say it may be necessary to keep watch on them if neither they nor the police take our suspicions seriously. But we shall see what they have to say about the Major's death."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"That sounds like a good plan to me," says Reg. "I can approach either Norton or Paice, and Miss Jerkins can speak to the other, whichever she prefers."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Harry will ensure that Helena is up to date with the pertinent events of the previous evening.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,Mr Handy, please decide which person Reg wants to talk to, and I’ll set up a thread for you.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,I'll talk to [b]Paice[/b], then. [b]Helena[/b] is more subtle, so she'd be better suited to talk to [b]Norton[/b].
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Harry is busy making notes in his notebook of who's doing what...

"My plan is to return home quickly, send off a request to the Library for access, then spend the morning scouring about wherever one might find people from North Africa. See if anyone had any views on the Sudan, or that word."

"I shall visit the colonel at 3pm sharp. Perhaps he would accept an invitation to drinks at the Army and Navy?"

"Chaps, someone very dangerous is out there. I intend to collect a more serious revolver when I go home. You should all give some thought to your safety."

OOC,Does Harry know where migrants from North Africa, Egypt, and particularly the Sudan might be found in London town? The ports perhaps?
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,My knowledge is limited but I’m not aware of any African communities in London at that time. Harry could visit the docks in East London if he wanted. They could be pretty dangerous though.
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 7 months

Post by HelplessBystander »

"I...think I can volunteer to speak with Norton, that is, if any of you gents don't plan to do so." Helena volunteered quietly, her presence here had being largely in the background. She disliked being annoyingly passive, after all, nothing good comes of it.
My Call of Cthulhu Campaigns:
Dead Men Walking (Looking for new members)
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,Okay, I'll set up individual threads for everyone: Preston will visit Sangster, who has offices in Harley Street (any doctor would know to look there; Harry will visit Hollingsworth (at his house I presume) at 3pm, after visiting the docks. Please, forget about the library! I've already said that you'll find nothing there. If anyone mentions a library again, I'll deduct Sanity. From myself. Reg will go to Paice, who will be at his shop, and Helena can visit Norton, who works at the Army & Navy Club. Maybe you can arrange to meet later this evening to discuss your findings.
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

OOC:   Sure. Whatever works.  
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,Sure. Let's say then you'll all agree to meet at Simpsons-in-the-Strand at 6 that evening.
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

OOC,I was trying to preserve story continuity with the library reference. The idea was Harry sends off a letter of request which wouldn't be immediately responded to within the next few days, so he moves on to other avenues of investigation. Forget it though.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,I see Andy, I misunderstood. No offence meant.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Then I shall visit Paice," says Reg. "I'll carry my knife at all times now, but I haven't a revolver, and my hunting rifle might draw some odd looks."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

6 pm, Simpsons-in-the-Strand
simpsonsdivan.jpg
It is another cold, foggy December evening. The companions are together again at Simpsons, discussing the day's revelations.
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

Helena stayed outside for awhile, careful to observe whether she, or anyone else, had been followed.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

There doesn't seem to be any suspicious characters lurking around.
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

Helena enters the Simpsons.

Return to “The Night of the Jackals”