Page 1 of 1

Chapter 3: The Chapochaug Tunnel

Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:36 pm
by HoneyDog
November 24th, 1928, 10am

Arkham General Store, E Main St, Arkham.

The companions meet here after breakfast to purchase extra supplies. The store sells firearms so they are able to pick up a shotgun, plus flashlights for exploring the dark tunnel, and assorted sundries.
OOC,I’ll leave it up to you guys to announce what extra stuff you need. Alice should be able to charge it as expenses to the university (maybe not the shotgun though), as long as you don’t get too extravagant. You can announce it by ooc.
After shopping, they set out in Isadora’s car to connect to the Aylesbury Pike and travel west towards Dean’s Corners. Wrapped up in the draughty car, they move at a good pace through the frigid winter landscape. Luckily though there hasn’t been any substantial snowfall yet, so the roads are easily passable, and they make good time.

They arrive at Dean’s Corners at about 11.15. The village is very small, with under ninety inhabitants. There are a few small stores in the main street, so it should be a good opportunity to pick something up for lunch. Traffic through the village between Arkham and Aylesbury is enough that strangers don’t raise any eyebrows among the locals.
OOC,You can discuss your plans more or engage with the locals. You might want to get some directions to the tunnel if you don't feel like searching around for it, but the map you found at Baumgartner's should give a pretty good idea as to its location.

Re: Chapter 3: The Chapochaug Tunnel

Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:52 am
by Mr. Handy

"We should talk to the locals," suggests Alice. "They may have seen young Baumgartner when he came this way, and they may know something about the tunnel."
OOC,We should also get canteens, which we'll fill with water, trail rations, a compass, rope, and climbing spikes, as well as chalk to mark our trail in the tunnel.

Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:39 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC:   Can we keep discussions on what you want to take to the previous thread? It's a bit out of place here Tabs so I'll move it if you don't mind. Here, think about what you want to do in Dean's Corners. We'll just assume you buy everything in Arkham.  

Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:44 pm
by Tabs
"Yes, let's," replied Owens. "In a small place like this they must remember Baumgarten. Was that his name?" he wondered.

Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:42 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Close," says Alice. "It's Baumgartner. Albert Baumgartner."

Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:40 pm
by Tabs
"That's the chap," said Owens. "Now, the nearest eatery. A hot drink and sandwich would hit the spot.

"Miss Stanton, Alice if I may, you're working as Putnam's secretary?"

Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:10 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I had been, until he passed away earlier this year," replies Alice. "For several months I worked as Henry Glynn's typist, proofreader, and editor. Then I came back to Miskatonic University to be Dr. Miller's secretary."

Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:15 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"My work has suffered terribly since." Henry adds.

Posted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:21 am
by HoneyDog
There is a small diner in the Main Street with seating for about ten. A middle-aged woman is tending the counter. The only other occupant is a man in his fifties, who is wearing work overalls. The woman greets our heroes in a friendly manner and indicates some seats.

"I'll take your order when you're ready." she tells them.

Posted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:56 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, ma'am," says Alice. "We're looking for a young man named Albert Baumgartner. He may have stopped by here on his way to Chapochaug some time ago." If she has a description of him, she describes him.

Posted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:13 am
by HoneyDog
The woman shakes her head. "Doesn't sound familiar Miss" she says. "You said he's headed to Chapochaug Mountain?" she asks.

Posted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:10 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"That's right - he was doing scientific work."

Posted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:34 pm
by Tabs
innsmouth wrote:Henry Glynn

"My work has suffered terribly since." Henry adds.
"No doubt, sir!" chuckled Owens.
The woman shakes her head. "Doesn't sound familiar Miss"
Owens was very complimentary about the snacks when he browsed them, "Lovely stuff!" and he rubbed his hands together in anticipation. "Who should we talk with--someone who may have seen our chap, Baumgartner?"

Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:04 am
by evil_scientist
Owens was very complimentary about the snacks when he browsed them, "Lovely stuff!" and he rubbed his hands together in anticipation. "Who should we talk with--someone who may have seen our chap, Baumgartner?"
Isadora Carmichael

"Are there any scientist or researcher types in town? A doctor, perhaps? Or anybody who spends a lot of time in the surrounding forests?"

Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:08 pm
by HoneyDog
The other customer’s attention is caught by the mention of Chapochaug. Both he and the proprietress grimace at the mention of that place.

“Can’t say he rings a bell with me either” says the man. “But he may have gone on to Aylesbury and gone to Chapochaug from there”.

The woman nods in agreement. “Visits to the mountain aren’t forbidden, but they aren’t encouraged, particularly to the tunnel. There’s no-one like that around here Miss” she says to Isadora, “but there’s a watchman who’s supposed to look out over the area, and he likes to prowl around the mountain”. She ignores the derisive snort of the other customer as he hears this description. “If your lad was up around the mountain, he might have seen him. He goes by the name of Erastus Hutchinson. Don’t expect him to be too friendly though” she frowns. “Now, what would you like?”

Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:36 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"A beef sandwich please. And Mr Owens here would like some of those sour pickles. Where would we find this Erastus fellow?"

Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:01 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'd like a grilled cheese sandwich," says Alice. Henry has already asked the question she would have, so she waits to hear the answer.

Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:04 am
by HoneyDog
As the woman goes to the kitchen to see to their orders, the customer continues talking.

“I believe he’s taken to living in the old maintenance building outside one of the tunnel entrances. He’s s’posed to check on the tunnel daily, you know, to make sure it’s not falling apart and that no more darned kids have gotten themselves killed in it, but I doubt he does. You’ll probably find him roaming the mountain”.

He rolls his eyes. “What do you expect, he’s from Dunwich”.

Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:02 pm
by Tabs
"Why do the natives have such outlandish names?" commented Owens.

Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:40 pm
by HoneyDog
“Natives!” exclaims the man. “Sheesh!”

With a dark look, he takes his food to the other end of the counter.
OOC:   Unfortunate words from an explorer! Let's hope that his pickles are free from native phlegm.  

Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:35 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you," says Alice as her order arrives. "Mr. Hutchinson sounds like exactly the fellow we need to see. If Albert Baumgartner went up there, he wouldn't have escaped Mr. Hutchinson's notice. Can you please give us directions to the maintenance building?"

Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:12 am
by HoneyDog
OOC:   I edited the above post to help it fit into the narrative flow. Apologies for my busy fingers.  

Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:47 pm
by HoneyDog
“Well, sure Miss” says the proprietress. “But strictly speaking the tunnel is out of bounds. Entry is forbidden. Sure, local kids go there on dares, and older ones use it for other purposes” (she colours slightly here), “but I really don’t advise fooling around Chapochaug”.

She lays the companions' food down, and begins to fill their coffee cups.

Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:15 pm
by Tabs
Owens didn't intend to be offensive. Nevertheless, when a plate of pickles is set before him he checks it over carefully for any suspiciously slimy extras.

Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:47 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, we'll be careful," says Alice, "but we would like to speak to Mr. Hutchinson and find out if he's seen the young man." She takes a bite out of her sandwich, savoring the melted cheese.

Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:32 am
by HoneyDog
“Well, if you’re sure” the woman sighs. “There’s an access road just off the Pike a couple of miles out on your right side. Head up it and you’ll come to a gate with ‘no trespassing’ signs around it. You’ll find the tunnel. Hutchinson’s shack should be there too. Please be careful.”

Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:56 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

"Thank you for the information," says Isadora, and finishes her sandwich and coffee.

"I think we are good to go," she says to the others. She checks the time on her wristwatch.

Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:37 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, thank you," says Alice. She finishes her grilled cheese and dabs her mouth with a napkin. "Okay, I'm ready."

Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:49 am
by HoneyDog
The investigators return to their car and set off along the Pike. Sure enough, after about ten minutes they spot the access road and turn up it. Alongside it, there are some low stone walls marking the boundaries of local properties. The ridge of Chapochaug can be seen ahead, dark with tree cover.

They come to a closed wooden gate marked “Boston and Maine Rail Road”. Signs saying ‘Private Property’ and ‘No Trespassing’ are positioned alongside it.

Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:09 am
by Mr. Handy

Alice looks around to see if the shack is visible from here.

Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:57 am
by innsmouth
Henry examines the gate to see if it will open or if it is easy to scale.

Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:43 pm
by Tabs
"We're just visiting and won't be trespassing," said Owens.

Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:12 pm
by HoneyDog
No shack is visible but the gate is unlocked and opens easily.

Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:36 pm
by innsmouth
OOC:   If the road goes no further we'll continue on foot taking our gear.  

Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:25 am
by Mr. Handy

"Looks like we have to go inside to find the shack," says Alice, working up her courage.

Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:44 am
by HoneyDog
A rough track big enough to be used by a car continues to the tunnel.

Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:50 am
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

"Let's use the car," Isadora says. She is not keen on hiking... She sits still, nursing the bundle that hides the alien blaster on her knees.

Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:21 pm
by HoneyDog
The car eases gently towards the tunnel and stops. The mouth of the tunnel looms ominously ahead, its interior dark and foreboding.

As the companions climb out of the car and take in their surroundings, they can that the steep slopes of the mountain are rocky and densely wooded, although many of the trees have lost their leaves, and is divided by steep gullies. Definitely climbable, but no easy stroll. The undergrowth is denser on the lower slopes which are covered in small brush and scrub trees, and which have retained their foliage. Higher up the trees are much taller and older.
Everybody,You can make a Natural History or Biology roll.
There appears to be a trail which begins near the base of the tunnel entrance and leads up - over the tunnel.

Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:23 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael
Natural History 10%

[dice]0[/dice]

Isadora usually only encounters nature on her nightmarish / dreamy landscape paintings, but this time she has an insight about their surroundings.

Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:52 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I think we should follow the upward trail," says Alice. "That's most likely to lead to the shack."
OOC,Natural History roll (12% skill) about the tunnel entrance area: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:35 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"Good idea Alice."

Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:41 pm
by Tabs
Natural History 50% roll [dice]0[/dice]

'Er--I can't quite work it out,' said Owens.

Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:27 pm
by HoneyDog
Isadora,It appears to Isadora that maybe the trees on the higher slopes have never been logged, the growth is all original. The tunnel may have been the first real noticeable human impact on the area.
OOC,Do you all want to take the trail instead of entering the tunnel?

Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:35 pm
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I do.

Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:30 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

Isadora doesn't have any formal training in biology or sciences, but perhaps she somehow managed to connect to this landscape on a profound natural level. She takes in the primordial beauty and... dread of this mostly untouched land.

"This is an ancient place," she says, and shivers.

"Let us take the trail."

Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:07 am
by HoneyDog
With Isadora’s dark thoughts in their minds, the heroes set off up the trail. The cold wind blows through the trees and the sound of a whippoorwill can be heard. The companions pass a pile of jumbled stones.
Everyone,You can roll Idea or Knowledge about the stones.
Halfway through their hike, about twenty minutes later, the companions begin to notice something odd about the rocks of Chapochaug. They seem to have a rough angularity which makes them appear to have been almost…artificially assembled? There is an uncanny orderliness to them…
Everyone,You can roll Geology about the rocks.

Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:19 am
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael
Idea 70%

[dice]0[/dice]

Geology 1%
[dice]1[/dice]

Isadora has some ideas about the pile of jumbled stones...

Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:30 am
by innsmouth
Spoiler:
Henry Geology 1 [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:08 am
by Mr. Handy

Something about the stones seems very familiar to Alice.
OOC,Know roll (80% stat) about the stones: [dice]0[/dice] Geology roll (1% base skill) about the rocks: [dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:16 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,I'll roll for Norman to keep things moving; Geology 31: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/583503]Geology[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]71[/b]
Our heroes may be disconcerted by the strange rock formations, but it occurs to Isadora and Alice that the pile of stones is probably the remains of a sighting pillar, used to align the ends of the tunnel during construction, and therefore has no sinister overtones.

After about 45 minutes, the heroes reach the other tunnel entrance. Sure enough, not far away, stands a rather decrepit looking shack; what must be an old maintenance building. A thin line of smoke spills from the chimney. Outside a line of pelts can be seen, drying in the weak winter sun.

As the companions reach the ground and look at the tunnel entrance, they can see the number ‘1869’ engraved over the top, with the intertwined initials ‘A’ and ‘N’. There are two wooden signs sunk into the ground, saying “DANGER” and “TUNNEL UNSAFE” in faded red letters. They have been defaced by what looks like pitting caused by small caliber bullets – obviously the result of target practice. The wind whistles eerily through the tunnel, whose secrets are carefully hidden away in the darkness of its interior.
Norman,Roll Luck.

Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:09 am
by Mr. Handy

"Looks like he's home," says Alice, pointing at the smoke. "Shall we knock?"

Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:15 am
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

"Yes. And I think we can be straightforward about our motifs: we came here to find a lost person. I see no need to burden ourselves with subterfuge."

Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:23 am
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"Agreed" says Henry. He approaches the door and knocks on it.

Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:58 am
by HoneyDog
Despite Henry's knocking, no-one comes to the door.

Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:36 am
by Mr. Handy

"I wouldn't think he'd go out with a fire going," says Alice. "Perhaps he's nodded off, but the knocking should have woken him. Shall we peek inside?"

Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:03 am
by Tabs
Norman Owens Luck 50% roll [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:56 pm
by HoneyDog
“Hey there!”

Suddenly there is a shout from behind the investigators. They turn and see a man approaching from the trail behind them.

“What are you folks wanting, eh?”

As he comes nearer, the companions can see that he is a middle-aged man with unkempt hair and a beard, dressed in shabby-looking overalls. He wears a misshapen cap on top of his head, and carries a double-barreled shotgun under his arm. He carries a brace of dead squirrels over his shoulder. He is very ugly, with a large nose. His mouth is drawn back in a sneer.

He stops not far from our heroes, eyeing them suspiciously.

“Can’t ye read the signs, eh? This is private property!”

He frowns in displeasure.

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:28 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm sorry for the intrusion," says Alice, "but we came here looking for you, presuming you're Mr. Hutchinson. We're looking for a student from Miskatonic University named Albert Baumgartner who we have reason to believe came here. We were hoping you'd seen him." She describes Albert to him.

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:45 am
by HoneyDog
“Yeah, I saw ‘im, that foreign fella” says Hutchinson, sullenly. “A few days ago. Said he wanted to collect rocks or summat from the tunnel. But you shouldn’t be messin’ around here. It’s private property.”

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:05 am
by Mr. Handy

"No, we just want to find him and bring him back to Arkham safely," says Alice. "He never returned, and we're worried about him. He shouldn't be messing around here either. Did he actually go in the tunnel?"

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:29 am
by HoneyDog
“Well, that’s where he said he wanted to go” Hutchinson replies. “And you say he didn’t return? You’re lookin’ for ‘im?” He seems to be slowly beginning to understand the situation.

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:02 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, that's right," says Alice. "He's gone missing, and this is the last place he was seen. He most likely is still inside the tunnel."

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:42 am
by HoneyDog
Hutchinson looks worried. “Well, I walked through just yesterday mornin’. D’int see ‘im.”

He turns his head and looks over his shoulder at the tunnel, muttering under his breath, and then turns back.

“You wanna go in there and look for ‘im?” he asks.

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:08 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, I think we'd better," says Alice.

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:36 am
by HoneyDog
“Weeell…” drawls Hutchinson, uncertainly. He doesn’t seem to want to let the investigators go in, but also seems concerned about the missing Baumgartner. He glances back over his shoulder again at the tunnel, an anxious expression on his face.

“I ain’t s’posed to let no-one in. I don’t want any trouble”.

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:29 am
by Tabs
"We won't cause any trouble, sir," said Owens. "Just a quick visit, so that we can honestly tell the folks back in Arkham we did look for Baumgartner."

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:42 am
by HoneyDog
Hutchinson nods. ”Okay then, but don’t be too long. It ain’t no good to stay too long in the tunnel.” He still looks apprehensive.
A note about equipment,I'm guessing most if not all your stuff is still in the car though. If you want to go in this entrance, you should list what you have now.

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:48 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"Thank you Mr Hutchinson. I understand the tunnel is a dangerous place, but is there anything in particular we should beware of?"

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:05 pm
by HoneyDog
Hutchinson suddenly turns his ugly face toward Henry with an intense look, but then his eyes seem to go vacant, as if his mind is wandering elsewhere.

“It… sometimes…” he says vaguely, and falls silent, staring at nothing in particular. He seems to have withdrawn inside himself.

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:27 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"Right then" says Henry, "We'll watch out for that."

Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:49 am
by Mr. Handy

"Should we get some things from the car first?" asks Alice.

Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:18 pm
by Tabs
"I wanna go fetch my shovel and trowel, and Alice's chalk could be useful," said Owens.

Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:39 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,Do you want to walk back over the trail to the car? It will takes about 45 minutes, which means it will be about 1pm when you arrive. There's plenty of daylight left though so you don't have to worry about time. Do you want to talk to Hutchinson more?

Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:51 pm
by Mr. Handy

"We'll need flashlights, of course," says Alice, "and we should bring food and water. Mr. Hutchinson, do you have a map of the tunnels?"

Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:33 am
by HoneyDog
Hutchinson is jerked out of his daze by the question.

”Tunnels?” he says, confused. ”There’s only one.”

Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:04 am
by Mr. Handy

"Oh, it's just that I saw another tunnel entrance at the base of the trail," says Alice. "I guess this must be the other end."

Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:33 am
by HoneyDog
The companions set off back along the trail after saying farewell to Hutchinson, who warns them not to stray off as he has set animal traps.

After another 45-minute hike without incident, they arrive back at the car and equip themselves. The entrance to the tunnel stands behind them, its mouth looming ominously.

Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:21 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Well, let's go inside," says Alice, getting her flashlight ready.

Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:42 pm
by Tabs
Owens rested the shovel upon his shoulder. "Let's go!"

Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:44 am
by HoneyDog
Bracing themselves, the companions enter the tunnel.

There is a fair amount of graffiti around the entrance, mainly just initials and dates scratched into the brickwork, some encased in love hearts. The light of course is very dim but not pitch black, as our heroes move further in it is obvious that there is a faint source of light coming from somewhere. The tunnel smells musty and damp.

The dimensions of the tunnel are about twenty feet tall and twenty-four feet wide. There are two lines of tracks running parallel, which while in fair condition would probably need some repair to get working properly again. The walls have been hewed from the rock but are bricked over at certain points, and are subject to more graffiti. Mostly everything seems intact. There are white lines painted what seems to be every ten feet, but these are faded. Debris, mostly broken bottles, is scattered around the entrance but decreases further in.

After walking for about ten minutes, the heroes come across a collapse – the brickwork has caved in, which has created a heap sloping down from the wall of bricks, which covers one set of the tracks. It is easily passable though.
Everyone,Roll Spot Hidden.

Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:11 am
by Mr. Handy

Alice shines her flashlight right on something of interest.
OOC,Spot HIdden roll (55% skill) in the tunnel: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:23 am
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael
Spot Hidden 40%

[dice]0[/dice]

Isadora advances through the tunnel, with a flashlight in one hand, and the alien weaponry (still wrapped in rags) tucked under her other arm. The musty odor unnerves her, and she ties her scarf to cover mouth and nose. With all these actions, though, she misses what's there to notice...

Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:41 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn
Spoiler:
Henry Spot Hidden 25 [dice]0[/dice]
Henry shines his flashlight around in the darkness.

Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:06 pm
by Tabs
Owens Spot Hidden [dice]0[/dice]

He did see something unexpected...

Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:17 pm
by HoneyDog
Alice & Norman,A strange flickering light has flashed along the stone walls of the tunnel.

Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:31 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Did you just see that light flicker?" asks Alice, pointing it out to the others. "Maybe it was Albert."

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:32 am
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"Probably just out flashlights glinting off the wet rock."

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:12 pm
by Tabs
"Yes, I saw it too," answered Owens.
OOC:   Whereabouts?--the tunnel's ceiling, near the rubble, opposite the rubble.  

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:00 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC:   As I wrote, in the rock wall. The brick collapse is to your right; the lights were off to your left.  

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:14 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

Isadora examines the ruined brickwork: did it collapse recently?

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:04 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Yes, the rubble looks fresh.

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:15 am
by Mr. Handy

"I think we should take a closer look," says Alice.

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:31 am
by HoneyDog
The heroes shine their flashlights over the rubble, looking for anything untoward. There is nothing in the pile of bricks itself, but by examining the rock wall they formerly covered, it seems apparent that something from behind the bricks may have forced them to come loose.
Everyone,You can roll Geology about the rock wall. I guess Norman is the only one with a realistic chance at this, but you might get lucky.

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:33 am
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

"We have to be careful, this collapse is recent," she warns the others.

Geology 1%
[dice]0[/dice]
OOC,"You might get lucky" :o ;) :lol: :lol:

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:31 am
by HoneyDog
Despite her warning, Isadora stumbles on a brick and bangs her head against the rock wall.
Isadora,Lose 1 HP! Critical failure must be punished.

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:30 pm
by Tabs
Owens Geology roll [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:19 pm
by HoneyDog
Norman,Carefully examining the tunnel wall, [b]Norman[/b] notices a fault within the rocks. It is likely that this fault might stretch much further back. The composition looks crystalline.

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:41 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Isadora, are you all right?" asks Alice.
OOC,Geology roll (1% base skill) about the rocks: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:54 pm
by Tabs
"Apologies," said Owens, tearing his eyes away from the tunnel wall which he'd been examining closely. Miss Carmichael, I trust..." but his voice trailed away, "There's a fault within the rock--probably stretches far back. It seems crystalline..." he poked his trowel at it.

Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:14 am
by HoneyDog
Everyone,You can roll Spot Hidden while looking in the fissure.

Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:49 am
by Tabs
Owens Spot Hidden roll [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:17 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

Henry peers into the fissure.
Spoiler:

Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:58 am
by Mr. Handy

While Alice had had perfect vision before, it was hard to make out what was in the fissure.
OOC,Spot Hidden roll (55% skill) looking into the fissure: [dice]0[/dice] Does my earlier Spot Hidden critical success help?

Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:37 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Okay then, as none of the others were successful.
Alice,There, just for an instant - Alice sees the same light that she saw before, coming from inside the rock. It is difficult to determine exactly what the source of the light is, but in the brief flash she got, it looked soft - more organic than mineral.

Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:20 am
by Mr. Handy

"There, I saw it again!" says Alice, shining her light through the fissure. "The light isn't coming from the rocks. It's soft, whatever it is. Perhaps it's phosphorescent fungi."

Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:36 am
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael
Spot Hidden 40%

[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:57 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Sorry ES, I didn’t know if you would be able to reply.
Isadora,Isadora also saw the light, and got a glimpse of the organic-looking thing that emitted it.

Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:10 am
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

"Fungi? I don't like the sound of that... You should cover your mouth as well," Isadora proposes to the others. "It's fungi that have spores, right?"

Isadora wonders - could the growth of the fungi (if there are indeed fungi) force and push the brickwork to fall apart? Or corrode the bricks in any way?

"Should we proceed further?"

She shines a light into the tunnel.

Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:41 am
by Tabs
"Maybe, Miss Carmichael," said Owens. "But I think that we should do a little excavation here first--remove some bricks and whatnot. Let's cover our noses, though--good idea of yours."

Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:07 pm
by HoneyDog
The heroes begin to move the bricks, stacking them to one side. After about 15 minutes though, they cleared more than halfway down, but are yet to uncover anything of interest.

Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:14 am
by Mr. Handy

"We should keep it up," says Alice. "I know I saw something."

Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:46 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Sorry guys I had it in my head that you were looking in the bricks which had fallen. But just to make it clear, the bricks are covering the rock wall. The light came from a fissure in the rock wall. If you want to get to it, you’ll have to go through the rock and you’ll need proper tools.

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:18 am
by Mr. Handy

"I don't think we can get through the rock wall with what we've got," says Alice.

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:00 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"I guess we'd better explore further."

Henry proceeds cautiously in the direction of Isadora's light.

Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:52 am
by HoneyDog
Shortly thereafter, they come across a curious sight. Propped against the tunnel wall, an animal skull has been mounted atop a long branch. Underneath it, scratched in charcoal, is the legend “en touto nika”. On the ground, several crates are stacked, which are topped by extinguished candles.

Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:34 pm
by Tabs
"Latin, I think," said Owens, "'This sign conquers.' Maybe some kind of primitive protection?"

Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:10 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"Could it be kids playing around?"

Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:50 pm
by HoneyDog
Everyone,You're welcome to roll EDU x1 about the writing.

Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:13 pm
by innsmouth
Spoiler:
Henry EDU 13 [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:22 am
by Mr. Handy

"Would a better translation be 'By this sign, conquer'? Emperor Constantine claimed he had a vision of a cross and heard those words, which led him to convert to Christianity. Of course, this looks like Greek, not Latin."
OOC,EDU x 1 roll (16% stat) about the writing: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:50 am
by Tabs
Mr. Handy,My google-fu is weak.
"I salute your education, Alice," said Owens warmly. "Mr. Glynn, surely not kids. If those people in the village represent the locals then I would say it's impossible--unless," he wondered, "they have access to knowledge but do not understand it really?"

EDU roll [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:34 pm
by HoneyDog
Henry,It is indeed Greek, and is attributed to the Emperor Constantine.

Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:30 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"I do believe Alice is right. You've been bested Mr Owens!" says Henry.

Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:57 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you," says Alice. "Well, we'd better bring that skull on a pole with us. I have a feeling we're going to need it."
OOC,I didn't use Google, I just happened to know it, but without the initial translation I probably wouldn't have gotten it. [b]Alice[/b] actually flubbed her roll.

Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:10 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,I think we're supposed to be relying on what the characters would know, not our own knowledge or using google.

Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:59 pm
by Tabs
"Absolutely, Mr. Glynn, and very happy to have been," said Owens and bowed.

Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:14 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael
SAN roll,[b]Sanity 64[/b] [dice]0[/dice]
Isadora wants to say something about the strange items they find, but she is suddenly overtaken by a fit of some sorts and loses balance, falling to the ground unless somebody catches her.

"We are in grave danger! The tunnel will collapse soon... We have to be quick!"

Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:40 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

Henry moves to steady Isadora.

"Say, what makes you think that Mrs Carmichael?"

Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:27 am
by Mr. Handy

"How long have we got?" asks Alice, snatching up the pole with the skull on it. She takes this seriously. "Do we have enough time to make it through to the other end, or had we better turn back?"

Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:31 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

""I don't... I don't know," says Isadora, breathing heavily. "I had this terrible vision of rocks collapsing and men screaming. It might be just the place bringing out the worst of me -- but I cannot be sure. Sometimes the things are see are real."

Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:13 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Maybe you didn't see the future, but the past," says Alice. "Remember that article we found about the tunnel collapse?"

Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:31 am
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"We'll let's get along anyway - we've still got a missing student to find."

Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:58 pm
by HoneyDog
The heroes venture on, perhaps somewhat more warily now. Perhaps the darkness and the dank odour, combined with their knowledge of the tragic history of this place, oppresses them. The occasional flashes of light along the rock walls seem to add to the otherworldliness of the tunnel.

After about ten minutes of trudging along the tracks, the companions notice a nimbus of light playing down from the ceiling of the tunnel onto the ground. There is a pungent smell here, like ammonia. Getting closer, they see that it must be a ventilation shaft.
Everyone,You can roll Listen.

Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:05 pm
by Tabs
Owens' Listen roll [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:54 am
by Mr. Handy

Alice hears something.
OOC,Listen roll (60% skill) in the tunnel: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:33 am
by HoneyDog
Henry & Alice,Henry and Alice can hear rustling above from the shaft, together with squeaking and chirping.

Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:23 am
by Mr. Handy

"Did you hear that?" asks Alice, pointing up at the shaft. "There are animals moving around up there. Bats and birds from the sound of it."

Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:12 pm
by innsmouth
Spoiler:
Henry Listen 25 [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:05 pm
by Tabs
"Is there any way to access the ventilation shaft?" wondered Owens.
OOC:   How wide is it?  

Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:14 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,About 10 feet across. It’s too high for you to reach without a ladder or something, you’d have to access it from above.

Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:07 am
by evil_scientist
OOC,What kind of light sources are we using? Hand-held electric torches of an early make (I think they were available in the 1920s)? No open fire, right? I'm afraid of gas blowing up in our faces...
"Just how long is this tunnel?" Isadora wonders. For her, it seems like a neverending underground journey, and coupled with her vision, it unnerves her greatly.

She looks up the shaft. Is the sky visible? Is it possible to guess the height of the shaft (the distance from the surface)?

Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:40 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,I've been assuming that you've been using electric torches. I hope you brought extra batteries!
Isadora can feel the draft on her face as she looks up the shaft. She can see movement – what must be bats – inside the shaft. The top looks a long way up – at least 100 feet.

Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:07 am
by Mr. Handy

"I don't see how we could get up there," says Alice, looking up and shaking her head.
OOC,Yes, we have flashlights.

Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:12 pm
by Tabs
"Yeah, we'd need to be acrobats," said Owens. "Onward down the tunnel."

Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:46 am
by HoneyDog
The heroes leave the shaft behind and walk on. About another fifteen minutes pass by uneventfully – it seems that the companions are alone, with only the oppressive darkness of the tunnel for company.

Eventually they reach what looks like another ventilation shaft. The light seems much dimmer here – it could be that they have reached the centre of the tunnel. Broken glass is scattered around the base of the shaft. They companions shine their torches around, looking for anything of interest.
Everyone,Roll Spot Hidden.

Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:50 am
by Mr. Handy

It is too dark for Alice to see much.
OOC,Spot Hidden roll (55% skill) in the tunnel: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:21 am
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael
Spot Hidden 40%

[dice]0[/dice]

Isadora's light shines on something.

Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:26 am
by HoneyDog
Isadora’s torchlight momentarily illuminates a shape – it looks like the figure of a man. It instantly disappears up the tunnel ahead of them.

Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:47 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn
Spoiler:
"Could it be Albert?" whispers Henry.

Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:01 pm
by Tabs
Owens' Spot Hidden [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:38 pm
by HoneyDog
Henry’s torch beam picks out the fleeing man. It is hard to make out any details, but the companions can hear his agitated voice. The words don’t sound like English.
Everyone,You can roll Know to identify the language.

Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:45 pm
by innsmouth
Spoiler:
Henry Know 65 [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:13 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael
Knowledge 40%

[dice]0[/dice]

Isadora might not understand the language, but she's heard it spoken before!

Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:50 am
by Mr. Handy

"Is that German?" asks Alice.
OOC,Know roll (80% stat) to identify the language: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:54 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,It is indeed German! If Norman rolls successfully, he can confirm it too.

Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:10 am
by Tabs
Owens' roll [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:56 am
by Mr. Handy

"That must be Albert," says Alice. She moves forward, calling out. "Albert Baumgartner! Wait!"

Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:22 am
by HoneyDog
But the fleeing figure doesn't wait. He is gone, further up the tunnel.

Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:10 am
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael
OOC,On Keeper's orders... [b]Sanity 64[/b] [dice]0[/dice]
"Let's go! Before he gets hit!" Isadora shouts, cryptically. The others probably don't understand what would the man get hit by in the empty tunnel.

Isadora dashes after the figure.

Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:01 am
by HoneyDog
The companions dash after the figure. Running up the tunnel, find they find that they can no longer see him in the torchlight. But they can now see that on either side of the tunnel is a narrow passage cut into the rock.

Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:28 pm
by Tabs
"I don't s'pose you know which side tunnel he went down, Miss Carmichael?" said Owens.

Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:47 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

Isadora tries to concentrate... insights and visions come to her uninvited. But can she open her mind, trace the man's astral footprint? A thin silver shimmer, perhaps?

Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:59 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,Not this time! You’ll just have to take a look.

Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:43 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

Henry produces a Dime from his pocket and flips it on the back of his hand.

"Let's go this way!" he says, pulling Alice with him to the right hand tunnel.

Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:50 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

"Wait a second," Isadora says, and shines her light at the tunnel's floor, and then down both passages, hoping for an old-fashioned physical track.

Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:22 pm
by Mr. Handy

Alice also looks around to see if Albert left any footprints in the dust.

Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:35 am
by HoneyDog
A quick investigation soon reveals that the dust is disturbed in both passages, and in fact they don't go very far – they enter into what could be rooms.

Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:49 am
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

Isadora follows Henry and Alice into the right hand passage, then, scanning the surroundings with her lamp.

Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:30 pm
by Tabs
Owens' SAN roll [dice]0[/dice]

Owens was motionless for a minute, looking at the floor and "miles away."

Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:17 pm
by HoneyDog
As Norman is lost in his reverie, the other companions enter the room.

It seems that this was formerly a maintenance space, perhaps to store equipment, although looking around there is nothing of use now. There are shelves built into the walls, although the wood is now in a poor condition. The air smells heavily of damp. There are a few old crates on floor, and a mishmash of debris – old cans, bits of paper, cigarette butts and the like. What looks like a bedroll is against the wall.
OOC,All present can roll Spot Hidden in this sordid spot.

Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:21 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael
Spot Hidden 40%

[dice]0[/dice]

Isadora hates this place, and doesn't spend too much time exploring it...

Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:05 pm
by innsmouth
Spoiler:

Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:10 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"Do keep up Mr Owens, this is no time for daydreaming."

Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:43 am
by Mr. Handy

Alice is about to suggest checking the other direction when she spots something.
OOC,Spot Hidden roll (55% skill) in the room: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:02 am
by HoneyDog
Alice,What looks like some sheaves of paper are tucked under the bedding.

Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:25 am
by Tabs
"Yes--yes. Sorry," said Owens. And he hurried after the others. He looked at Henry Glynn and blinked repeatedly, "Must have got something in my eye"--but his explanation sounded very lame.

Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:28 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael
Tabs wrote:"Yes--yes. Sorry," said Owens. And he hurried after the others. He looked at Henry Glynn and blinked repeatedly, "Must have got something in my eye"--but his explanation sounded very lame.
Isadora notices Owens' strange behavior. Outside Henry's hearing range she asks him: "Is everything alright?"

Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:10 pm
by Tabs
"Okay--I'm okay, thank you," Owens replied. "Delusions--about a train wreck. Very vivid."

Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:23 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

Isadora stops and grabs Norman's arm.

"And I saw a man getting hit by a train!"

Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:16 am
by Mr. Handy

"I didn't have any visions," says Alice, "but I did see this." She triumphantly pulls out the stack of papers from beneath the makeshift bed and begins to look through it. "He may have written this, or it could be something he used in his research. Either way, it should have some answers."

Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:00 pm
by Tabs
"Good spot!" said Owens. "I wonder what they say..."

Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:29 pm
by HoneyDog
The contents of the papers seems to be mostly scribbled mathematical formulae; incomprehensible. But there are a few notations in English which stand out.

“I’ve seen it! The vision! They live again!”

“The creature! God help me!”

“It can be done! C was right!”

Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:35 pm
by Mr. Handy

"The 'they' that live again," muses Alice, "could they be the men killed in the accident? I wonder who C is? I guess we'll only know if Albert explains it to us. We'd better check the tunnel on the other side. He must have gone that way."

Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:52 am
by HoneyDog
Cautiously, the heroes enter the other passage. It is a room like the first, but in a far worse state of repair. It dank and moldy. A substantial crack over an inch wide runs across the floor from one wall to the other. Emanating from it is a faint, rather putrid scent. There is an old wooden case in the centre, from which can be seen the familiar glow of the spores, but in far greater numbers.

Cowering on the floor in the far corner, shielding his face from the companions, is a dirty, emaciated figure.

Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:32 am
by Mr. Handy

"Albert Baumgartner, I presume," says Alice. "It's all right, we're friends. Your professor sent us to find you. He was getting worried about you." She holds out her canteen to offer him some water.

Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:30 am
by HoneyDog
The man is indeed Baumgartner. At Alice’s proffered hand, he recoils in terror, muttering to himself. He seems completely petrified.

Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:36 am
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

"Please, we have to get out of here. This place is dangerous," Isadora tries to reason.

Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:38 am
by Tabs
"Yes, let's go," said Owens.

Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:57 pm
by HoneyDog
Baumgartner mutters in German but then screams, a hideous yet pitiful sound. His eyes are transfixed on the crack in the floor. He pulls at his scalp in sheer terror, and makes motioning gestures with his hands, as if to ward something away.

Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:29 am
by Mr. Handy

"Don't be afraid," says Alice in a soothing tone. "We're here to help you."
OOC,Psychoanalysis roll (1% base skill) to try to calm [b]Albert[/b]: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:09 pm
by Tabs
Owens' SAN roll [dice]0[/dice] :!: idea roll [dice]1[/dice]

"More delusions," thought Owens, and he's mentally staggered by the images, but luckily it all becomes a blur.

He said: "I think that we ought to go, now!"

Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:23 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,Sorry I should have said, fail a SAN roll here and it’s 1d6 loss. Even a pass costs 1 SAN. Tabs, you can still avoid temporary insanity though.

Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:36 pm
by Tabs
Owens' SAN loss [dice]0[/dice]
OOC:   Have I got SAN muddled again?  

Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:39 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,If you fail your SAN roll you roll for loss, and if you lose 5 or more you must roll Idea. If you pass, you've understood the nature of the horror you've faced, and your mind is sent temporarily insane! but if you fail its okay. But you only lost one point anyway.

Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:50 pm
by evil_scientist
OOC,Does Isadora lose 1 SAN automatically as well?
Isadora Carmichael
SAN 64

[dice]0[/dice]

Isadora stares transfixed at the crack in the rock as well, and grabs her stomach. She almost vomits, but keeps it together.

"Gr-grab him and go, quick, quick!" she says to Henry Glynn, who seems to be the most stable of them all.

Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:56 pm
by HoneyDog
Anyone,You can roll Spot Hidden in regards to Alfred.

Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:13 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael
Spot Hidden 40%

[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:39 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn
Spoiler:
Spot Hidden 40 [dice]0[/dice]
Henry grabs Albert and Alice and attemps to leave with them.

Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:26 am
by Mr. Handy

Alice is too busy trying to get out of there to notice anything.
OOC,Spot Hidden roll (55% skill) about [b]Albert[/b]: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:30 pm
by Tabs
Owens' Spot Hidden [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:50 pm
by HoneyDog
The investigators grab Baumgartner and manhandle him through the passage and out of the awful maintenance room, back into the tunnel. His senses seemed dulled and he is apathetic and doesn’t resist, although they can feel him shaking with fear. He is weak and smells terribly.

As the companions decide what to do next, they are confronted with a sight so hideous it stops them in their tracks. Coming toward them across the railway sleepers is a horrific creature, about three feet long, and blue-black in colour. It seems to have insect-like plating at irregular intervals over its body. Slime leaks between these plates, and numbers of whip-like tendrils of sickly pale yellow extend outwards to distances of almost eight feet. No eyes are visible, but it can obviously sense our heroes as it moves remorselessly towards them, its tendrils lashing.

Baumgartner screams in horror, his eyes rolling back in his head. The creature draws closer…
OOC,Roll SAN at the sight of this unspeakably vile monstrosity. If you pass, you still lose SAN. Henry and Alice, roll 1d2. Norman and Isadora lose 1. If you fail, roll 1d6+1!

Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:04 pm
by innsmouth
Spoiler:
Henry SAN 65 [dice]0[/dice]
Spoiler:
SAN loss [dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:01 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael
SAN 64

[dice]0[/dice]
Current SAN 63

Isadora screams - then freezes - then screams again. She witnessed the monstrosity before in a vision, but in real life, it's even worse... but perhaps the preliminary vivid nightmare prepared her mind to cope.

As soon as she regains control over herself, she unwraps the alien weaponry, and aims it at the creature... And hopes to get the operation right.

Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:37 am
by Mr. Handy

Alice screams in abject terror, taking her shotgun and pointing it at the abomination, hoping it will actually be hurt by the blast.
OOC,Sanity roll (current level 64) for seeing the creature: [dice]0[/dice] Sanity loss for seeing the creature: [dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:45 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Alice didn't mention taking her shotgun into the tunnel... is she carrying that plus the skull-on-a-pole? ;)

Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:13 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,We went back to the car to get our stuff before entering the tunnel, and I wouldn't have gone into the tunnel without it considering the possible danger. That was the whole point of bringing it. I'd forgotten I was carrying the skull-on-a-pole. I have to hold a flashlight too, and while I could carry the shotgun slung on my back or over my shoulder or something, I wouldn't be able to fire it without using both hands. I could hand off my flashlight and the pole to someone else to free up my hands. If nobody is willing to take them, then I could brandish the skull on the pole to see if it wards off the creature.

Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:20 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Okay. What kind of shotgun is it - pump-action or double-barreled? As per your last post, you would have had to drop the skull-on-a-pole and your flashlight to bring the shotgun up though.

Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:03 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,It would probably be double-barreled. I don't think I actually specified.

Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:46 am
by Tabs
Roll SAN at the sight of this unspeakably vile monstrosity [dice]0[/dice] [dice]1[/dice]

Owens readied his shovel. "We're all going to die!" he thought, quaking, but said: "Those without a weapon shine your torches and light up the beast."

Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:48 am
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

Seeing that she is struggling Henry takes the flashlight from Alice

Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:30 pm
by HoneyDog
Suddenly one of the creatures tendrils lashes out, close enough so that the heroes can see the nasty barb at the tip. It narrowly avoids Baumgartner, who wails again.
OOC,[url=http://orokos.com/roll/594635]Tendril Attack 50[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]64[/b] Now you can act. Isadora is first, then Alice, but this turn Alice will need to free her hands, unsling the shotgun and cock it, so she misses out. Henry is holding Albert and a flashlight, so Norman is free to use the shovel to attack with if he wishes. Isadora’s alien mist weapon does 1d10 points of damage. She has 35% skill (25% base skill but she has had a little practice). The mist moves more slowly than a bullet, and luckily the creature seems quite slow-moving.

Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:42 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael
Mist Weapon Attack 35%

[dice]0[/dice]

Mist Weapon Damage
[dice]1[/dice]
OOC,Yes!!
Isadora utters a short prayer (invoking all and any benevolent entities that might be present in this forsaken tunnel) and activates the weapon...

Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:49 pm
by HoneyDog
Isadora,As the creature is slow and due to the lingering mist, roll once more for damage.

Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:55 pm
by evil_scientist
Extra damage
[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:07 pm
by HoneyDog
The creature stops and shudders, its tendrils quivering. But suddenly again, tendrils shoot out, two this time, aimed at Isadora and Henry.
Attack on Isadora,[url=http://orokos.com/roll/594661]Tendril Attack on Isadora 50:[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]58[/b]
The tendril whips past Isadora's face, but luckily she is unharmed.

Henry, however, is not so lucky...
Attack on Henry,[url=http://orokos.com/roll/594664]Tendril Attack on Henry 50:[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]36[/b]
The tendril rips through Henry's jacket, and tears a piece of flesh from his arm. The pain is excruciating. The companions watch in horror as a gaping maw opens on the creature's back, and the tendril disappears inside. It has eaten a piece of Henry!
Henry,[url=http://orokos.com/roll/594665]Tendril damage[/url]: [u]1d2[/u] [b]1[/b]. Henry suffers 1 point of damage.
Everyone,You are free to attack again - Isadora, then Alice, and Norman if he really wants!

Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:57 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

Clutching his wounded arm Henry attempts to stagger out of range of further attacks.

Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:01 pm
by HoneyDog
Henry,Do you still have hold of Albert?

Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:13 pm
by innsmouth
OOC:   If possible Henry will drag Albert with him but I guess it depends on his level of discomfort ...  

Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:17 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,I'll assume you both get out of harm's way for the time being then...

Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:12 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael
Mist Weapon 35%

[dice]0[/dice]

Isadora tries to hit the foul creature again, but misses...

Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:46 am
by Mr. Handy

"Henry!" cries Alice. She also hands Norman the skull on a pole when he took the flashlight as she draws her shotgun. "Try using that against the creature," she says, taking aim, "it might do something. So might this." She squeezes the trigger and blasts the monstrosity!
OOC,I think the way the mist weapon works is that once you hit a target (or rather area, since it's an area effect weapon), you don't need to roll to hit in future rounds, you just keep doing damage. Also, that first attack was a critical hit. I'm presuming we're at point blank range, since it's close enough to hit us with tentacles. Shotgun roll (34% x 2 = 68% skill) shooting at the creature, point blank: [dice]0[/dice] Damage to creature from 12-gauge shotgun shell: [dice]1[/dice] At what point in the round can I fire the second barrel?

Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:49 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Sorry Mr.H, we're not point blank - I described earlier, the tendrils have an 8 foot reach. It's best not to get too close.

Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:55 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Then we are at point blank range. Point blank is equal to DEX in feet, which in my case is 11. 8 feet is well within that.

Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:15 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,I understand! My apologies. You've given it a good blasting, but you won't be able to follow up yet... or may not want to.
The creature shudders again and stops moving forward, it's tendrils waving feebly. Alice’s shotgun blast has opened a deep wound on its back, but from this a noxious cloud begins to form. The stench of ammonia begins to grow, causing our heroes to recoil in disgust.
OOC,The cloud is poisonous, with a potency of 7. Henry and Albert are outside it, but Norman, Alice and Isadora are caught. You’ll have to use the resistance table to roll against it! Failure causes nausea and temporary blindness which lasts 3d10 minutes.

Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:19 am
by Mr. Handy

Alice has heard horror stories of gas attacks in the trenches of the Great War, but she never imagined she'd be subject to something similar. Coughing and spluttering, she is barely able to withstand it. "Fall back!" she cries, trying to get out of the cloud of gas.
OOC,Resistance Table roll (CON 13 vs. POT 7 = 80% chance) to resist the gas: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:52 am
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael
CON 9 vs POT 7 60%

[dice]0[/dice]

Isadora is lucky, as she covered her nose and mouth earlier with her scarf. It's not a gas mask, but gives her a chance to retreat out of the cloud. Her eyes water.

Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:56 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Isadora is free to attack again if she wishes. The beastie is almost done.

Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:59 am
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael
Mist Weapon 35%

[dice]0[/dice]

The mist disperses in the tunnel, unable to hurt the creature...

Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:05 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Let's see what happens to Norman.

Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:43 am
by Tabs
Owens' rolls: Resistance [dice]0[/dice] and shovel attack [dice]1[/dice]
OOC:   oh yes! gotta be a hit. Damage?--roll for me if you wish.  

Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:11 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"Well played Mr Owens!" Henry encourages.

Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:29 pm
by HoneyDog
With a mighty swing, Norman brings the shovel down on the beast, in the place where it is already injured. The unfortunate creatures tendrils give one last shake, and then it is still. The ammonia is overwhelming now though.
OOC,A mighty blow, well struck. It was too easy to vanquish that creature though, I should have made it more difficult. I’m too soft on you all! You should get away from the ammonia now. You have Albert too.

Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:59 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"Let's get out of here."

Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:28 pm
by HoneyDog
The companions begin the long walk back down the tunnel, bearing the almost catatonic Albert, and gladly leaving the unknown monstrosity behind them. It seems like days ago that they entered this place, but now that they are leaving, they can gladly put the horrors they experienced behind them, at least for now.

By the time they reach the tunnel entrance the shadows are beginning to lengthen. Exhausted and shaken, they are gratified to finally reach Isadora’s car which is waiting for them. Putting Albert in the back seat, they can see that there are traces of the illuminated spores in his nostrils and on his lips. He is breathing heavily, and has a faraway look in his eyes. In the light of day, he is indeed in sorry shape. He doesn’t seem to have eaten in days, and is likely very dehydrated. His hands and face are covered with multiple scratches, and his clothes are filthy. He stinks.

Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:07 am
by Mr. Handy

Braving the smell, which really isn't as bad as the smells in the tunnel, Alice holds her canteen to Albert's lips and pours a little down his throat, taking care not to go too quickly. Sometimes drinking too fast when one is dehydrated can cause problems. Once he has some water in him, she shares her rations, again giving him a little piece at a time so as not to overdo it. "We should take him to a hospital," she says.

Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:59 am
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

Isadora wraps the weapon. She is trembling - the true horror of the encounter is only getting to her now that the adrenaline is gone.

"Yes, Henry needs care as well."

Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:41 pm
by Tabs
Owens put his arm round Isadora. "You've opened my eyes, Miss Carmichael; I was impressed by your display," he said, thinking of her with the alien mist blaster gun.

He also thought about his shovel embedded in the creature, "That's a dollar ninety I'll have to pay to the expedition faculty for misused equipment."

Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:44 am
by Mr. Handy

"Worth every penny," says Alice, going over to help Henry, but she has no idea how to deal with...whatever this is. "You need to get to a hospital too."
OOC,First Aid roll (60% skill) treating [b]Henry[/b]'s wound: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:05 pm
by HoneyDog
Doing what they can for Henry and Baumgartner, the companions drive back to Arkham, arriving just after nightfall. Baumgartner is admitted at once, and Henry’s arm is stitched and bandaged, the nurse remarking on the unusual nature of the possum bite. Baumgartner is suffering from dehydration but has no serious physical injuries. He is almost catatonic though, and a psychiatric evaluation is requested.

Alice informs Dr. Winside at home by telephone that Albert has been found, and he comes to the hospital at once to see him.
OOC,What yarn will you spin to account for these events?

Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:34 pm
by Mr. Handy
OOC,We'll say that [b]Albert[/b] was under the influence of the spores of the fungus he was collecting, which seems to have mind-altering effects (which would account for anything he says about monsters or other strange things). [b]Henry[/b]'s injury was caused by an enraged possum that was probably likewise under the influence of the fungus, which we killed.

Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:59 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,That'll work!
Evidence of the mysterious spores is found in Albert’s nostrils, which are taken by Dr. Winside to study. He and the police are effusive in their praise for the companions, and in the following days they receive many congratulations, and accordingly their reputations in Arkham are enhanced. Alice is awarded $200 for her services, which she is free to share among her friends. She is highly regarded by the university now, and in the following weeks is encouraged to renew her studies if she wishes; the university will help with costs.

Norman’s reputation also experiences an uplift. Owing to his cold-environment experiences, he is invited to consult and possibly join the university’s planned expedition to the South Pole…

Henry's heals without problem, although he has a nasty scar. He is granted free access to the university library, except the restricted collection of course.

Once rested and free of the spores, Albert does undergo a gradual improvement. Before he is able to talk candidly about his experiences though, after a few weeks his family bring him back to Germany to make his recovery, and he transfers his studies to a university there.

Dr. Winside makes a study of the spores, finding them to indeed be a new species. Whether there is indeed any truth in the rumours of their properties, well, he keeps that to himself. The last thing the university need is a new Herbert West