Chapter 3: The Chapochaug Tunnel

A student has gone missing and the investigators have been tasked to find him. What is the connection to the mysterious abandoned railway tunnel at Chapochaug, which is rumoured to be haunted?

Moderator: HoneyDog

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: Chapter 3: The Chapochaug Tunnel

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Henry!" cries Alice. She also hands Norman the skull on a pole when he took the flashlight as she draws her shotgun. "Try using that against the creature," she says, taking aim, "it might do something. So might this." She squeezes the trigger and blasts the monstrosity!
OOC,I think the way the mist weapon works is that once you hit a target (or rather area, since it's an area effect weapon), you don't need to roll to hit in future rounds, you just keep doing damage. Also, that first attack was a critical hit. I'm presuming we're at point blank range, since it's close enough to hit us with tentacles. Shotgun roll (34% x 2 = 68% skill) shooting at the creature, point blank: [dice]0[/dice] Damage to creature from 12-gauge shotgun shell: [dice]1[/dice] At what point in the round can I fire the second barrel?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,Sorry Mr.H, we're not point blank - I described earlier, the tendrils have an 8 foot reach. It's best not to get too close.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Then we are at point blank range. Point blank is equal to DEX in feet, which in my case is 11. 8 feet is well within that.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,I understand! My apologies. You've given it a good blasting, but you won't be able to follow up yet... or may not want to.
The creature shudders again and stops moving forward, it's tendrils waving feebly. Alice’s shotgun blast has opened a deep wound on its back, but from this a noxious cloud begins to form. The stench of ammonia begins to grow, causing our heroes to recoil in disgust.
OOC,The cloud is poisonous, with a potency of 7. Henry and Albert are outside it, but Norman, Alice and Isadora are caught. You’ll have to use the resistance table to roll against it! Failure causes nausea and temporary blindness which lasts 3d10 minutes.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Alice has heard horror stories of gas attacks in the trenches of the Great War, but she never imagined she'd be subject to something similar. Coughing and spluttering, she is barely able to withstand it. "Fall back!" she cries, trying to get out of the cloud of gas.
OOC,Resistance Table roll (CON 13 vs. POT 7 = 80% chance) to resist the gas: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 4 months

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael
CON 9 vs POT 7 60%

[dice]0[/dice]

Isadora is lucky, as she covered her nose and mouth earlier with her scarf. It's not a gas mask, but gives her a chance to retreat out of the cloud. Her eyes water.
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,Isadora is free to attack again if she wishes. The beastie is almost done.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael
Mist Weapon 35%

[dice]0[/dice]

The mist disperses in the tunnel, unable to hurt the creature...
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,Let's see what happens to Norman.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Post by Tabs »

Owens' rolls: Resistance [dice]0[/dice] and shovel attack [dice]1[/dice]
OOC:   oh yes! gotta be a hit. Damage?--roll for me if you wish.  
innsmouth
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 10 months

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

"Well played Mr Owens!" Henry encourages.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

With a mighty swing, Norman brings the shovel down on the beast, in the place where it is already injured. The unfortunate creatures tendrils give one last shake, and then it is still. The ammonia is overwhelming now though.
OOC,A mighty blow, well struck. It was too easy to vanquish that creature though, I should have made it more difficult. I’m too soft on you all! You should get away from the ammonia now. You have Albert too.
innsmouth
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 10 months

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

"Let's get out of here."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

The companions begin the long walk back down the tunnel, bearing the almost catatonic Albert, and gladly leaving the unknown monstrosity behind them. It seems like days ago that they entered this place, but now that they are leaving, they can gladly put the horrors they experienced behind them, at least for now.

By the time they reach the tunnel entrance the shadows are beginning to lengthen. Exhausted and shaken, they are gratified to finally reach Isadora’s car which is waiting for them. Putting Albert in the back seat, they can see that there are traces of the illuminated spores in his nostrils and on his lips. He is breathing heavily, and has a faraway look in his eyes. In the light of day, he is indeed in sorry shape. He doesn’t seem to have eaten in days, and is likely very dehydrated. His hands and face are covered with multiple scratches, and his clothes are filthy. He stinks.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Braving the smell, which really isn't as bad as the smells in the tunnel, Alice holds her canteen to Albert's lips and pours a little down his throat, taking care not to go too quickly. Sometimes drinking too fast when one is dehydrated can cause problems. Once he has some water in him, she shares her rations, again giving him a little piece at a time so as not to overdo it. "We should take him to a hospital," she says.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael

Isadora wraps the weapon. She is trembling - the true horror of the encounter is only getting to her now that the adrenaline is gone.

"Yes, Henry needs care as well."
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Post by Tabs »

Owens put his arm round Isadora. "You've opened my eyes, Miss Carmichael; I was impressed by your display," he said, thinking of her with the alien mist blaster gun.

He also thought about his shovel embedded in the creature, "That's a dollar ninety I'll have to pay to the expedition faculty for misused equipment."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Worth every penny," says Alice, going over to help Henry, but she has no idea how to deal with...whatever this is. "You need to get to a hospital too."
OOC,First Aid roll (60% skill) treating [b]Henry[/b]'s wound: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Doing what they can for Henry and Baumgartner, the companions drive back to Arkham, arriving just after nightfall. Baumgartner is admitted at once, and Henry’s arm is stitched and bandaged, the nurse remarking on the unusual nature of the possum bite. Baumgartner is suffering from dehydration but has no serious physical injuries. He is almost catatonic though, and a psychiatric evaluation is requested.

Alice informs Dr. Winside at home by telephone that Albert has been found, and he comes to the hospital at once to see him.
OOC,What yarn will you spin to account for these events?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,We'll say that [b]Albert[/b] was under the influence of the spores of the fungus he was collecting, which seems to have mind-altering effects (which would account for anything he says about monsters or other strange things). [b]Henry[/b]'s injury was caused by an enraged possum that was probably likewise under the influence of the fungus, which we killed.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “The Chapochaug Tunnel Haunting”