Chapter 3: The Chapochaug Tunnel

A student has gone missing and the investigators have been tasked to find him. What is the connection to the mysterious abandoned railway tunnel at Chapochaug, which is rumoured to be haunted?

Moderator: HoneyDog

HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Chapter 3: The Chapochaug Tunnel

Post by HoneyDog »

November 24th, 1928, 10am

Arkham General Store, E Main St, Arkham.

The companions meet here after breakfast to purchase extra supplies. The store sells firearms so they are able to pick up a shotgun, plus flashlights for exploring the dark tunnel, and assorted sundries.
OOC,I’ll leave it up to you guys to announce what extra stuff you need. Alice should be able to charge it as expenses to the university (maybe not the shotgun though), as long as you don’t get too extravagant. You can announce it by ooc.
After shopping, they set out in Isadora’s car to connect to the Aylesbury Pike and travel west towards Dean’s Corners. Wrapped up in the draughty car, they move at a good pace through the frigid winter landscape. Luckily though there hasn’t been any substantial snowfall yet, so the roads are easily passable, and they make good time.

They arrive at Dean’s Corners at about 11.15. The village is very small, with under ninety inhabitants. There are a few small stores in the main street, so it should be a good opportunity to pick something up for lunch. Traffic through the village between Arkham and Aylesbury is enough that strangers don’t raise any eyebrows among the locals.
OOC,You can discuss your plans more or engage with the locals. You might want to get some directions to the tunnel if you don't feel like searching around for it, but the map you found at Baumgartner's should give a pretty good idea as to its location.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: Chapter 3: The Chapochaug Tunnel

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We should talk to the locals," suggests Alice. "They may have seen young Baumgartner when he came this way, and they may know something about the tunnel."
OOC,We should also get canteens, which we'll fill with water, trail rations, a compass, rope, and climbing spikes, as well as chalk to mark our trail in the tunnel.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC:   Can we keep discussions on what you want to take to the previous thread? It's a bit out of place here Tabs so I'll move it if you don't mind. Here, think about what you want to do in Dean's Corners. We'll just assume you buy everything in Arkham.  
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 3 months

Post by Tabs »

"Yes, let's," replied Owens. "In a small place like this they must remember Baumgarten. Was that his name?" he wondered.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Close," says Alice. "It's Baumgartner. Albert Baumgartner."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"That's the chap," said Owens. "Now, the nearest eatery. A hot drink and sandwich would hit the spot.

"Miss Stanton, Alice if I may, you're working as Putnam's secretary?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I had been, until he passed away earlier this year," replies Alice. "For several months I worked as Henry Glynn's typist, proofreader, and editor. Then I came back to Miskatonic University to be Dr. Miller's secretary."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
innsmouth
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 10 months

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

"My work has suffered terribly since." Henry adds.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

There is a small diner in the Main Street with seating for about ten. A middle-aged woman is tending the counter. The only other occupant is a man in his fifties, who is wearing work overalls. The woman greets our heroes in a friendly manner and indicates some seats.

"I'll take your order when you're ready." she tells them.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you, ma'am," says Alice. "We're looking for a young man named Albert Baumgartner. He may have stopped by here on his way to Chapochaug some time ago." If she has a description of him, she describes him.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

The woman shakes her head. "Doesn't sound familiar Miss" she says. "You said he's headed to Chapochaug Mountain?" she asks.
innsmouth
Adept
Adept

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

"That's right - he was doing scientific work."
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

innsmouth wrote:Henry Glynn

"My work has suffered terribly since." Henry adds.
"No doubt, sir!" chuckled Owens.
The woman shakes her head. "Doesn't sound familiar Miss"
Owens was very complimentary about the snacks when he browsed them, "Lovely stuff!" and he rubbed his hands together in anticipation. "Who should we talk with--someone who may have seen our chap, Baumgartner?"
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Owens was very complimentary about the snacks when he browsed them, "Lovely stuff!" and he rubbed his hands together in anticipation. "Who should we talk with--someone who may have seen our chap, Baumgartner?"
Isadora Carmichael

"Are there any scientist or researcher types in town? A doctor, perhaps? Or anybody who spends a lot of time in the surrounding forests?"
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

The other customer’s attention is caught by the mention of Chapochaug. Both he and the proprietress grimace at the mention of that place.

“Can’t say he rings a bell with me either” says the man. “But he may have gone on to Aylesbury and gone to Chapochaug from there”.

The woman nods in agreement. “Visits to the mountain aren’t forbidden, but they aren’t encouraged, particularly to the tunnel. There’s no-one like that around here Miss” she says to Isadora, “but there’s a watchman who’s supposed to look out over the area, and he likes to prowl around the mountain”. She ignores the derisive snort of the other customer as he hears this description. “If your lad was up around the mountain, he might have seen him. He goes by the name of Erastus Hutchinson. Don’t expect him to be too friendly though” she frowns. “Now, what would you like?”
innsmouth
Adept
Adept

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

"A beef sandwich please. And Mr Owens here would like some of those sour pickles. Where would we find this Erastus fellow?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'd like a grilled cheese sandwich," says Alice. Henry has already asked the question she would have, so she waits to hear the answer.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

As the woman goes to the kitchen to see to their orders, the customer continues talking.

“I believe he’s taken to living in the old maintenance building outside one of the tunnel entrances. He’s s’posed to check on the tunnel daily, you know, to make sure it’s not falling apart and that no more darned kids have gotten themselves killed in it, but I doubt he does. You’ll probably find him roaming the mountain”.

He rolls his eyes. “What do you expect, he’s from Dunwich”.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"Why do the natives have such outlandish names?" commented Owens.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“Natives!” exclaims the man. “Sheesh!”

With a dark look, he takes his food to the other end of the counter.
OOC:   Unfortunate words from an explorer! Let's hope that his pickles are free from native phlegm.  

Return to “The Chapochaug Tunnel Haunting”