Chapter 2: The Search Begins

A student has gone missing and the investigators have been tasked to find him. What is the connection to the mysterious abandoned railway tunnel at Chapochaug, which is rumoured to be haunted?

Moderator: HoneyDog

HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Chapter 2: The Search Begins

Post by HoneyDog »

Friday November 23rd, 2pm
Garden Cafe, W College St, Arkham

The companions come together at this popular off-campus eatery for a late lunch and to discuss their course of action. Isadora and Norman have arrived by motor-car, curious to hear more details about the mystery they are embarking upon. Alice and Henry have filled them in with what they have learned so far, and the investigators plan what to do next.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: Chapter 2: The Search Begins

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Our best lead is the Chaopchaug Railway Tunnel," says Alice. "That's probably where he went, so we'll want to start looking for him there. We'll need to prepare, but we don't want to take too much time. He's been missing too long already. We'll need sources of light at the very least, and we may want to inquire of the locals about the tunnel. It does have a reputation, it seems."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Post by Tabs »

"How do you do?" greeted Norman Owens, a little too formal perhaps but in a pleasant manner. "Madam" he said to Alice, and "sir" to Henry; he sat beside Isadora.

He picked up on "sources of light": "I have access to expedition equipment, torches, lanterns--Naptha flares..."
innsmouth
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 10 months

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

"Delighted to meet you Mr Owens. We've heard so much about you from Isadora, and of course I've read about you in the Globe - in the Court Reports section."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'm pleased to meet you as well," says Alice, thinking that she's a little too young to be called "Madam." "That equipment will prove very useful, and your assistance is most welcome."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

in the Court Reports section."
Owens spent a little too long studying the menu chalked on a blackboard.

He replied to Alice: "Pleased to help, mad--er--miss."
innsmouth
Adept
Adept

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

"The steak is very good here." offers Henry.

"I expect you've had the pleasure of meeting Isadora's husband George. Isn't he a gent?"
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"Steak? Thank you, Henry, but no thanks," said Owens slightly puzzled, and "George Carmichael is a true gent, I'm sure, and a wonderful husband to my friend Isadora."
innsmouth,Are you roasting Owens? we've only just met...
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 4 months

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael

"Yes, time is running out. But we cannot run blindly into danger. Let's spend at least a few hours in a library and then asking locals. Maybe this place... what was its name? Chap? Hog? "

"Well, that wasn't fair at all," Isadora scolds Henry for his comment on Norman.
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
innsmouth
Adept
Adept

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

"Oh you don't mind my humour do you Mr Owens? I'm sure we'll get along famously."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"It's Chapochaug," says Alice. "Well, I'll have a steak. We can see what we can find out about the history of Chapochaug and the tunnel, and we can read Cornelia Price's paper, though we may have some difficulty understanding it. Dr. Balzac would have been able to make sense of it, but he's not around. We could ask Dr. Winside if he can translate it into layman's terms for us."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael

Isadora is still bitter about Henry's rudeness. This was definitely not how she imagined her old friend meeting her new friends...

"Do you have that paper? Or is it at the library? Mr. Owens, as far as I remember, you do have training in Natural History - perhaps you can check this paper?"
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
innsmouth
Adept
Adept

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

"There's a copy in the library. Periodicals are reference only. We also have permission to search the young man's rooms."
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"Well, Mr. Glynn," said Owens, "I'm interested in books, and you wrote The Ghastly Chamber. I think I'm saying that I would like to make the acquaintance of a bona fide author," he shot a glance at Isadora, hoping he had smoothed any choppy waters. Frankly, Owens was disposed to accept "humour" because he'd been kicking his heels for so long at his boarding house.

"Natural History? Yes, my thing! But not too scientific I trust--I may struggle if so. Cornelia Price? who is she?"
innsmouth
Adept
Adept

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

"Oh I see that one as juvenilia now. The Curse of the Gold Sarcophagus is much better, and the new one, The Music of Dr Cazlab is coming along well. It's set in Haiti, just before we occupied it back in '15. Alice is helping me with it. Cornelia Price is the author of the journal paper by the way. Say, this steak really is good."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Mm-hmm," says Alice with a grin, finishing chewing before speaking. "Yes, I've been typing Henry's novels, as well as acting as editor and proofreader. You're right, we do need to search Albert's rooms. We should do that next."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael

"Let's go there, then," Isadora says, standing up from the table. She barely touched her food.
innsmouth
Adept
Adept

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

As they rise from the table Henry gives Owens a friendly nudge and whispers:

"It's Auden by the way - the husband - not Carmichael."
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"Oh! right you are," Owens whispered back. "It's been several years since we last met," he explained.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Post by HoneyDog »

Taking Isadora's car, it is a fairly short drive over to East Pickman Street, where Baumgartner’s lodging house is located. It’s a fairly rundown place, with houses that have seen better days, just the kind of place that a graduate student with limited funds might stay.

The door is answered by a wizened crone who eyes the heroes up and down, being particularly enthralled by Isadora’s choice of a turquoise hat, to which is pinned one of her more intricate pieces.

“You’ll be the university folks then” says the crone, grimly. “I was told ye were coming. Come in then, and wipe yer feet.”

The companions enter the gloomy hallway. The house doesn’t seem heated and is cold, but the woman doesn’t seem to mind.

“Up the stairs, last room on the right. I unlocked it. Don’t touch the walls!”
she barks.

The investigators climb the creaky stairs to Baumgartner’s room. Opening the door, they are shocked to find that the place is filled with books and papers, covering all items of furniture except the bed. Baumgartner is obviously not one who cares much about personal grooming – clothing is everywhere too. It will probably take a while to sort through everything.
Everyone,You'd best roll Search

Return to “The Chapochaug Tunnel Haunting”