Page 1 of 1

Chapter 2: The Search Begins

Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:34 am
by HoneyDog
Friday November 23rd, 2pm
Garden Cafe, W College St, Arkham

The companions come together at this popular off-campus eatery for a late lunch and to discuss their course of action. Isadora and Norman have arrived by motor-car, curious to hear more details about the mystery they are embarking upon. Alice and Henry have filled them in with what they have learned so far, and the investigators plan what to do next.

Re: Chapter 2: The Search Begins

Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:18 am
by Mr. Handy

"Our best lead is the Chaopchaug Railway Tunnel," says Alice. "That's probably where he went, so we'll want to start looking for him there. We'll need to prepare, but we don't want to take too much time. He's been missing too long already. We'll need sources of light at the very least, and we may want to inquire of the locals about the tunnel. It does have a reputation, it seems."

Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:04 pm
by Tabs

"How do you do?" greeted Norman Owens, a little too formal perhaps but in a pleasant manner. "Madam" he said to Alice, and "sir" to Henry; he sat beside Isadora.

He picked up on "sources of light": "I have access to expedition equipment, torches, lanterns--Naptha flares..."

Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:25 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"Delighted to meet you Mr Owens. We've heard so much about you from Isadora, and of course I've read about you in the Globe - in the Court Reports section."

Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:29 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm pleased to meet you as well," says Alice, thinking that she's a little too young to be called "Madam." "That equipment will prove very useful, and your assistance is most welcome."

Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:31 am
by Tabs
in the Court Reports section."
Owens spent a little too long studying the menu chalked on a blackboard.

He replied to Alice: "Pleased to help, mad--er--miss."

Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:05 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"The steak is very good here." offers Henry.

"I expect you've had the pleasure of meeting Isadora's husband George. Isn't he a gent?"

Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:02 pm
by Tabs
"Steak? Thank you, Henry, but no thanks," said Owens slightly puzzled, and "George Carmichael is a true gent, I'm sure, and a wonderful husband to my friend Isadora."
innsmouth,Are you roasting Owens? we've only just met...

Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:02 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

"Yes, time is running out. But we cannot run blindly into danger. Let's spend at least a few hours in a library and then asking locals. Maybe this place... what was its name? Chap? Hog? "

"Well, that wasn't fair at all," Isadora scolds Henry for his comment on Norman.

Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:17 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"Oh you don't mind my humour do you Mr Owens? I'm sure we'll get along famously."

Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:40 am
by Mr. Handy

"It's Chapochaug," says Alice. "Well, I'll have a steak. We can see what we can find out about the history of Chapochaug and the tunnel, and we can read Cornelia Price's paper, though we may have some difficulty understanding it. Dr. Balzac would have been able to make sense of it, but he's not around. We could ask Dr. Winside if he can translate it into layman's terms for us."

Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:53 am
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

Isadora is still bitter about Henry's rudeness. This was definitely not how she imagined her old friend meeting her new friends...

"Do you have that paper? Or is it at the library? Mr. Owens, as far as I remember, you do have training in Natural History - perhaps you can check this paper?"

Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:48 am
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"There's a copy in the library. Periodicals are reference only. We also have permission to search the young man's rooms."

Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:55 am
by Tabs
"Well, Mr. Glynn," said Owens, "I'm interested in books, and you wrote The Ghastly Chamber. I think I'm saying that I would like to make the acquaintance of a bona fide author," he shot a glance at Isadora, hoping he had smoothed any choppy waters. Frankly, Owens was disposed to accept "humour" because he'd been kicking his heels for so long at his boarding house.

"Natural History? Yes, my thing! But not too scientific I trust--I may struggle if so. Cornelia Price? who is she?"

Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:10 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"Oh I see that one as juvenilia now. The Curse of the Gold Sarcophagus is much better, and the new one, The Music of Dr Cazlab is coming along well. It's set in Haiti, just before we occupied it back in '15. Alice is helping me with it. Cornelia Price is the author of the journal paper by the way. Say, this steak really is good."

Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:51 am
by Mr. Handy

"Mm-hmm," says Alice with a grin, finishing chewing before speaking. "Yes, I've been typing Henry's novels, as well as acting as editor and proofreader. You're right, we do need to search Albert's rooms. We should do that next."

Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:09 am
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

"Let's go there, then," Isadora says, standing up from the table. She barely touched her food.

Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:15 am
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

As they rise from the table Henry gives Owens a friendly nudge and whispers:

"It's Auden by the way - the husband - not Carmichael."

Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:22 pm
by Tabs
"Oh! right you are," Owens whispered back. "It's been several years since we last met," he explained.

Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:21 pm
by HoneyDog
Taking Isadora's car, it is a fairly short drive over to East Pickman Street, where Baumgartner’s lodging house is located. It’s a fairly rundown place, with houses that have seen better days, just the kind of place that a graduate student with limited funds might stay.

The door is answered by a wizened crone who eyes the heroes up and down, being particularly enthralled by Isadora’s choice of a turquoise hat, to which is pinned one of her more intricate pieces.

“You’ll be the university folks then” says the crone, grimly. “I was told ye were coming. Come in then, and wipe yer feet.”

The companions enter the gloomy hallway. The house doesn’t seem heated and is cold, but the woman doesn’t seem to mind.

“Up the stairs, last room on the right. I unlocked it. Don’t touch the walls!”
she barks.

The investigators climb the creaky stairs to Baumgartner’s room. Opening the door, they are shocked to find that the place is filled with books and papers, covering all items of furniture except the bed. Baumgartner is obviously not one who cares much about personal grooming – clothing is everywhere too. It will probably take a while to sort through everything.
Everyone,You'd best roll Search

Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:40 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael
Spot Hidden 40%

[dice]0[/dice]

Isadora expects to find lots of books on fungi.
Isadora fears that she might find some actual fungi "samples". Baumgartner is not a very clean person.

But Isadora is actually interested in seeing whether Baumgartner had any interests other than fungi. Any odd books or items?

Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:49 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,Sorry, I meant Spot Hidden, not Search. I had my Delta Green head on.
Baumgartner seems to have had no kind of filing system at all. Luckily, there are no fungi growing in dark corners though. Isadora finds a photo of Baumgartner with a morose looking couple, who judging by their looks must be his parents. But there is nothing untoward about his belongings, it seems.

Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:47 pm
by innsmouth
Spoiler:
Henry Spot Hidden 25 [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:17 am
by HoneyDog
Henry locates a state survey map of north-eastern Massachusetts. Baumgartner has made numerous markings on sites east of Aylesbury, but one location is circled – Chapochaug Mountain.
OOC,Alice and Norman can still roll.

Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:52 am
by Mr. Handy

Alice tsks. "So disorganized!" she exclaims. She searches around, but she can't make sense of anything, as there doesn't appear to be any sort of system.
OOC,Spot Hidden roll (55% skill) searching the rooms: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:14 pm
by Tabs
He looked at Isadora's find. "Did they appear morose already or is that due to their son, I wonder?" And he also scrutinised Henry's map, "I love maps" he stated.

Spot Hidden 25% N.B. Natural History 50%

Spot [dice]0[/dice]

"A reflection of the man himself, Miss Stanton?" said Owens. He frowned at the clutter, "So much mess, it's like searching a haystack and we're unsure that there is a needle."

Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:28 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

Henry shows the map to Owens.

"Know that area at all?"

Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:35 pm
by Tabs
"Hmmm, let me take a closer look." Owens smoothed the counterpane and lay the map upon the bed.

Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:03 pm
by HoneyDog
Chapochaug is in a location not far from the hamlet of Dean’s Corners, although the larger town of Aylesbury is also nearby. Referred to as a mountain, the map shows that it is in fact a ridge. The port of Dunwich is to the north-east, and the Miskatonic River is to the north. A tunnel is marked on the map, as is a disused trunk line. It seems that the new line parallels the Aylesbury Pike, but the tunnel is located not too far from a nameless access road which runs off the Pike.

Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:41 am
by Mr. Handy

"Most likely, Mr. Owens," says Alice. "I think that map is the only needle we're likely to find in all this mess."

Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:48 am
by Tabs
"This tunnel marked on the map" said Owens, studying it carefully "points us directly to the place. 'X' marks the spot."
Honeydog,Is it worthwhile questioning the housekeeper?

Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:32 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC Everyone,No, she doesn't know anything. She only cares about her rent. Unfortunately, your rolls mostly haven't been so good. You'll all have to act on the information that you have now, unless you can dig up more somewhere else.

Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:54 am
by Mr. Handy

"Shall we see if we can learn anything more about Chapochaug and its history at the library?" suggests Alice.

Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:03 am
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

"I agree! Can you bring non-students along?"

Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:20 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"Alice can get us in almost anywhere at Miskatonic"

Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:40 pm
by Mr. Handy

"They won't mind," assures Alice. "They let Henry in there earlier."

Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:10 am
by HoneyDog
Suitably informed, the heroes leave the dismal lodging house and it's grumpy landlady, and return to Miskatonic. The sun is beginning to set and the temperature is dropping as they enter the library and go to the history section on the first floor. There are some volumes on local history included.
Everyone,Its Library Use roll time.

Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:27 am
by Mr. Handy

Alice can't find anything on Chapochaug.
OOC,Library Use roll (55% skill) researching Chapochaug: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:49 am
by innsmouth
Spoiler:
Henry Library Use 40 [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:20 pm
by Tabs
"I had hoped that my university days were behind me," said Owens to Isadora as they entered the Miskatonic.

He started to leaf through any almanacs regarding the county, looking especially for mention of Chapochaug and its tunnel.

Library Use 25% [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:21 am
by HoneyDog
Henry manages to find an entry in a recent book on local history. Everyone crowds around to read.
The Chapochaug Tunnel.pdf
(245.13 KiB) Downloaded 62 times

Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:15 am
by Mr. Handy

"My, that tunnel's dangerous!" says Alice. "I fear for what may have happened to young Albert Baumgartner, and did you notice it's supposedly haunted too?"

Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:05 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"I don't really believe in ghosts - just demons, aliens and the mob."

Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:16 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael
Library Use 33%

[dice]0[/dice]

Isadora reads through Henry's find, and peruses the library stacks some more...

Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:45 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC Everyone,There are no more volumes in the History section, but I’ll let you carry Isadora’s successful roll if you can think of what other section you want to look in next. Alice already had an idea.

Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:28 am
by Mr. Handy

"Let's check the periodicals section next," suggests Alice. "There could be reports in the newspapers about these incidents."

Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:51 am
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

Isadora helps Alice with the periodicals. Glancing to the side, and seeing Owens there too, she gets flashback to an old story about a haunted house that got her started down on this dangerous and mind-warping path...

Her fingers flip through the index cards and catalogs, and almost instinctively find something important.
OOC,Bringing over that roll to this action then! Thanks, HoneyDog!

Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:06 pm
by Tabs
Owens looked around at the others who seemed busy and exhaled--due to his own lack of success.

"Anyone for refreshments," he offered.

Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:22 am
by HoneyDog
It takes some time, but Isadora finds something in an Aylesbury local paper from a few years back which references Chapochaug.
Chapochaug article.pdf
(57.16 KiB) Downloaded 50 times
OOC,I was actually referring to something Alice said earlier. The hint is in the words she used. But well done anyway. There's another section which should be of interest - if you can't think of what it is, roll Idea. You can have one more search before the library closes at 8.

Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:10 pm
by Tabs
Owens Idea roll [dice]0[/dice]

Doh!

He returned from the cafeteria with a pot of tea, which he'd absentmindedly filled with sugar.

Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:30 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

Henry splutters on the sugary tea.

"Should we try the folklore section?"

Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:01 am
by Mr. Handy

"That's as good an idea as any," says Alice. "There was something else I said earlier that may point us in the right direction, but I can't quite remember what it was."
OOC,Idea roll (65% stat) to remember what she said: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:17 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,innsmouth is close enough.
Enquiring at the reception desk as to a section on folklore, Henry is told that there are sections for Mythology and the Occult on the third floor.
Everyone,Head upstairs and make one last Library Use roll.

Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:20 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael
Library Use 33%

[dice]0[/dice]

The words Occult and Mythology make Isadora's mouth water.

Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:40 pm
by HoneyDog
Isadora’s nose for the occult soon turns up a reference to Chapochaug in a book on the supernatural in Massachusetts.
Book article.pdf
(250.2 KiB) Downloaded 52 times
However, the library will close soon, and the companions must depart with their newfound knowledge.

Posted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:39 am
by Mr. Handy

"I think we've found everything we can," says Alice, "and not a moment too soon. Let's call it a night and set out in the morning."

Posted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:48 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,What do you all think? Do you want to call it a night and resume tomorrow, say over breakfast, or are you dying to plan your course of action now?

Posted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:45 pm
by evil_scientist
OOC,We can plan over a light evening snack

Posted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:34 am
by Tabs
"Sure," said Owens. "This time I'll do a better job with the tea," he added hopefully.

Posted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:11 pm
by HoneyDog
The heroes drive to Anton’s Restaurant in South Powder Mill Street. Anton’s is known in Arkham for its good but cheap Italian food, and Isadora is able to pick up a light but filling sandwich.

Armed with their new knowledge, the investigators are able to plan their next course of action.

Posted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:49 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Once we get supplies, I think we should go to Aylesbury and ask around about Chapochaug before we go to the tunnel," suggests Alice.

Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:18 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"That's a good idea Alice. We'll need flashlights of course, and perhaps some medical supplies - if we find Albert he'll likely be in poor condition. We can set out in the morning. Mr Owens do you drive?"

Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:45 pm
by Tabs
"I do," replied Owens. "Count on me for any equipment, just say the word... Er--do we want any weapons?"

Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:43 am
by Mr. Handy

"That wouldn't hurt," says Alice. "Well, not us, anyway. I've discovered I'm rather good with a shotgun."

Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:57 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Shall we move the action to the morning then? I can start a new thread. You can pick up supplies and discuss anything else you need to then. Actually, you'll come to Dean's Corners before Aylesbury as you travel west along the Aylesbury Pike, so you might want to stop there instead of going to Aylesbury and doubling back to the Tunnel. Dean's Corners is tiny though, so do your shopping in Arkham. So, I take it you want a shotgun, some flashlights, cold weather clothing - let me know what else you need when we play.

Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:18 pm
by evil_scientist
OOC,Probably no time for Isadora to go back to Boston first and get her frost ray blaster from outer space?

Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:59 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,She can travel back to Boston tonight and then meet up again with the others in Arkham in the morning. It might be more acceptable to her husband too!

Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:22 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I'm ready to move forward.

Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:14 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,Let's begin a new thread then.

Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:55 am
by evil_scientist
HoneyDog wrote:
OOC,She can travel back to Boston tonight and then meet up again with the others in Arkham in the morning. It might be more acceptable to her husband too!
Isadora travels back home for the night, and returns with some alien weaponry wrapped in a towel...

Re: Chapter 3: The Chapochaug Tunnel

Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:15 pm
by Tabs
Owens listened to Alice's list and nodded appreciatively. "A young lady"--he was conscious of his earlier faux pas--"who knows her expedition gear is a rare thing. I'm mightily impressed!" and he bowed. "A shotgun?..." he puzzled.
OOC:   Owens will also take a shovel and trowel.  

Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:12 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, Mr. Owens," says Alice. "This isn't my first outing, and as secretary for professors who sometimes plan expeditions, it falls upon me to make the arrangements. As for the shotgun, it could be useful if we run into wild beasts or the like. I'm actually not a bad shot."