Page 1 of 1

Chapter 1b: A Request for Help (Alice & Henry)

Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:52 pm
by HoneyDog
Friday November 23rd, 1928 9.30am
Miskatonic University, Arkham

Alice is busy typing a letter to the Dean of Sciences at another East Coast University, and thinking about the turn of events that brought her here. She was surprised to get a call from Dr. Conrad Miller, but not displeased. The chief of the Department of Biology at Miskatonic University intimated that she was held in regard among the faculty, who had been disappointed that there had not been any suitable positions for her after the death of her mentor, Professor Putnam. When a place became available as his new assistant, the opportunity, and the good pay raise that came with it, proved irresistible, and he said yes to Dr. Miller’s offer. It feels good again to walk through the hallowed halls of Miskatonic, whose very walls seem to reverberate with learned thought.

Through the door behind her, she can hear the voice of Dr. Miller, who has been on a call with Dr. Homer Winside, the senior member of the Botany faculty for the last fifteen minutes. As she knows that the two men possess a mutual dislike (but grudging respect) of each other, she wonders what might be going on between them. Her thoughts are suddenly interrupted by the appearance of Henry Glynn, who has entered the admin offices of the department and is heading towards her. He stops before her desk.

Re: Chapter 1b: A Request for Help (Alice & Henry)

Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:15 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"Can't stop long - on my way to the library - but I've just come by to tell you that the engagement announcement will be in the paper on Monday. Oh, and a postcard arrived from Balzac."

Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:34 am
by Mr. Handy

"That's great, and it's good to see you!" says Alice with a smile. "How is Dr. Balzac doing? Any better?"

Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:45 am
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"Indeed, your cousin Emily has made a perfect match and I was happy to take care of the notice. Do you think it will be a Spring wedding?"

"As for Balzac, no idea, I never could read his writing!"

Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:06 pm
by HoneyDog
These happy asides are suddenly interrupted by Dr. Miller, who has finished his call. Exiting his private office and intent on speaking to Alice, he gives a start when suddenly looking at Henry. Yet the information he conveys is too urgent to worry about the prying ears of strangers.

Alice” says Dr. Miller in a soft but concerned voice. “Would you mind going to see Dr. Winside? He has an urgent matter to talk to you about. I’d very much appreciate you hearing him out.” His eye falls again on Henry, and he shuffles his feet uncomfortably. He bends closer to Alice.

“Don’t let Homer talk you into anything you don’t want to do” he warns.

Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:20 am
by Mr. Handy

Alice nods. "I'll go talk to him right away, Dr. Miller," she says, rising. "If you'll excuse me," she adds to Henry, heading out of the office.

Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:22 pm
by HoneyDog
Alice makes the short distance to Dr. Winside’s office. She knocks, and a voice invites her in.

Homer Winside is standing behind his desk, and invites Alice to sit down by indicating the chair opposite. He is of medium height, and is entering middle age. A man of modest appearance, his rather average features are offset with a shock of blond hair which seems to stick up directly from his head. Many people seem to get their eyes drawn to it when conversing with him, but he never seems to notice.

He is an expert on tropical plants, and is known for having a rather gruesome side, being very knowledgeable about plant toxins and their effects. The room is artificially hot due to the large number of orchids which dot the room, and Alice finds herself starting to sweat.

“Thanks for coming, Alice he says, in a deep voice, as she sits down. “I want to get right to the point”.

He sits down and puts his hands on his desk, looking Alice straight in the eye.

“I want to ask for your help in finding one of my graduate students. He’s been gone since last week, when he went to do fieldwork to collect some fungal samples, but he had an important paper due three days ago, and should have been back for that. It’s behavior which is completely out of character for Albert, who takes his studies very seriously, and so naturally I became concerned.”

He pauses. “I know that this request may seem a little odd, but we know about your success in finding that missing journalist in Vermont last summer. We were all very impressed. I’m wondering if you could help me now. I contacted the police of course, but their attitudes were less than enthusiastic when they learned about Albert’s German nationality. There’s still a lot of bad feeling for some people, it seems.”

He leans forward suddenly.

“I must ask you to keep this in strictest confidence, Alice. Are you familiar with the name of Herbert West?”

Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:23 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

Henry heads to the library to research primitive instruments for his new book The Music of Dr Cazlab. He hopes to catch Alice later to hear about her meeting.

Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:07 am
by Mr. Handy

"I think I've heard his name before," says Alice. "He's with the Department of Medicine, isn't he? Thank you for your compliments on my abilities, Dr. Winside, but I did not do it alone. I have friends who helped me find the missing journalist, and I'd need to enlist their help again if I'm to find Albert."

Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:29 am
by HoneyDog
“Certainly” says Winside. “But we’ll come to that later. West is no longer at the university, I have no idea where he might be now, I doubt anyone does. But his apparent research is what concerns most. Apparently, he was of the notion that dead tissue can be reanimated, and conducted experiments accordingly. Preposterous of course, but there is always a smattering of interest in his theories amongst some of the students when they get to hear about him”.

He stops and taps his fingers on the table. “I fear that Albert might have developed an interest in that regard. One of the ingredients of West’s supposed re-animation solution was a fungal spore, and that is Albert’s research interest. It may be a coincidence, but I feel I need to keep an eye on him. I know that he has heard about the rumours about West, and was making more enquiries.”

He sighs and leans back. Albert’s not a bad chap, far from it, he’s just… single-minded. Research interests take precedence over other aspects of life. I’m sure you’ve encountered the type.”

He looks at Alice again. “So there you have it. I want to know where Albert is, mainly just because I’m concerned about him, but I don’t want him to end up in trouble. Will you help me? Miller has given his permission, and all your expenses will be paid, plus a commission for your trouble. Of course, please get any help you need, although I’m not sure that our budget can stretch very far.”

Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:23 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'll do what I can," says Alice, not wanting to leave Albert in possible danger. "Do you know who was the last to see him, and where or when that was? Where would he have gone to collect the samples?"

Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:40 am
by HoneyDog
“Splendid!” Winside beams, but then frowns. “Honestly I’m sorry to say, in response to your questions, I don’t know, only that it was in Massachusetts. Albert is quite guarded about his research, he believes he is onto some exciting new discovery. He wanted to make a full disclosure when he had all the information. Likewise, having his head buried in books and papers, he doesn’t seem to have much of a social life as far as I can tell. The library was a favoured haunt of course.”

He hands Alice a piece of paper. “This is the address of his rooming house here in Arkham. I’ve already contacted his landlady and she has given permission for us to search it for any indication as to where he is. His last name is Baumgartner. Here, I have a photo.”

He hands Alice a group photo which contains himself and several other people. Albert is the tall one in the back, with glasses.” He indicate a studious –looking young man in his early twenties with blond hair and slim figure.

He stands up and walks to the door. “This is much appreciated Alice. Please keep me informed as to what you find. Unless you have any more questions, I wish you the best of luck.”

Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:07 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you," says Alice, taking the paper and the photograph. "This should be enough to get started. I'll let you know what we find." She heads to the library next to fill in Henry.

Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:25 am
by HoneyDog
Henry is in the university library, to which Alice has managed to get him granted visitor’s privileges. He is deeply engrossed in a book when she approaches him, but he stops and listens intently when she relates her conversation with Dr. Winside.

Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:38 am
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"Well if you want us to get involved in this I suppose we should call Isadora. She won't forgive us if she misses out on one of our adventures!"

Henry studies the photo.

"He does look familiar - maybe I've seen him here in the library. Say what do think would make spookier music - a digeridoo or some bongos?"

Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:16 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Bongos, I suppose," says Alice, "but nothing could be spookier than that trumpet..." She shivers. "I still have nightmares. We should ask about Albert Baumgartner here in the library. He spent a lot of time here, so I'm sure the librarians remember him. And you're right, we should call Isadora. I'll also need to go back to Dr. Miller to let him know I've taken up Dr. Winside's offer."

Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:31 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"Good idea. Let's speak to the Librarian and then call Isadora. And don't worry about that wretched trumpet - it's safely locked away from any use."

Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:42 pm
by HoneyDog
The intrepid pair approach the Library desk and show the photo to the librarian on duty.
OOC,Roll Luck.

Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:51 am
by Mr. Handy

Fortunately, the librarian does seem to recognize Albert.
OOC,Luck roll (65% stat) to see if the librarian recognizes [b]Albert[/b]: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:51 am
by HoneyDog
“Yes, I do know him” says the librarian. “German lad, I think. Likes to get stuck into the books and journals. What do you want him for?”

Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:16 am
by Mr. Handy

"He's gone off somewhere to collect fungal samples," explains Alice, "and he hasn't returned. We're trying to find him so we can make sure he's all right. Do you know what he was reading recently?"

Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:37 am
by HoneyDog
The librarian frowns, thinking hard.

“I’m sorry, I couldn’t tell you the exact titles, and we don’t keep individual records for students. For him though it was always books and journals about botany…erm, yes, fungi mainly I think…”

Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:10 am
by Mr. Handy

"Okay, thank you," says Alice. "Do you know how long ago he was last in here? Does he have any materials still checked out?"

Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:28 am
by HoneyDog
“I’m sorry, I don’t know” frowns the librarian. “And we don’t have lists of what students check out , we’d have to look at the individual book title, I’m afraid. And of course, he wouldn’t be able to check out journals.”

Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:27 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you for your help," says Alice, turning to Henry. "Let's call Isadora."

Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:31 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,You can roll idea.

Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:21 am
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"I hear he was a bit of a loner but do you know if he had any associates?"

Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:20 pm
by HoneyDog
The librarian is distracted by students waiting around the desk, wanting to check out books.

“I would have no idea…”

He glances around and spots a student who has just appeared. Daniel! Can you help these folks?”

Daniel is a pale looking but heavily freckled young man. He has a name tag which reads Daniel Reardon, Student Librarian.

“Yes, that’s Albert Baumgartner, I’ve spoken to him sometimes. He was always busy with research though, I never saw him with any friends. But he’s a post-grad, they don’t mix with us.”

OOC,You can still roll Idea!

Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:24 pm
by innsmouth
Spoiler:
Henry Idea 70 [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:25 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"Thanks for your help Daniel."

Henry turns to Alice:

"I guess we might find some library books in his rooms."

Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:31 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,You're asking about the wrong thing.

Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:16 am
by Mr. Handy

"I was thinking that too," says Alice when something else occurs to her.
OOC,Idea roll (65% stat) in the library: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:20 am
by HoneyDog
Alice,Perhaps finding out what academic journals Baumgartner might have been using lead to a clue?

Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:04 am
by Mr. Handy

"Do you know which journals Albert read?" asks Alice.

Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:12 am
by HoneyDog
"He's a botany student, isn't he? There's several choices. Do you know which geographical area? Or possibly which field?" asks Daniel.

Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:25 am
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"Funghi of Massachuesetts. Is there a periodical on that?"

Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:47 pm
by HoneyDog
Daniel turns and starts leading the way to the journals section. His freckled brow is furrowed as he thinks of a response.

“Nothing as specific as that I think” he says, as he climbs the stairs to the second floor, which holds periodicals and books on science. “There is one possibility though”.

As they reach the journals, he scans the titles. “Here we are. The Massachusetts Botanical Society Journal. All about the flora of our fine state” he says in his strong South Boston accent. Holding up his hand in farewell, he moves off.

The journals are quite extensive however, it might be a long search.
OOC,You'll need to roll LIbrary Use.

Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:58 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn
Spoiler:
Henry Library Use 40 [dice]0[/dice]
Henry rifles through the journals:

"There sure are a lot of plants in this neck of the woods ..."

Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:09 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,Perhaps Henry can go give Isadora a call then. WIth luck,she should be able to arrive by early afternoon, just in time for a nice spot of lunch.

Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:33 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"Where's Balzac when you need him! I'll call Isadora now and see if she can help us out. I haven't heard from her for a while - I wonder what she's been doing."

Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:41 am
by Mr. Handy

After notifying Dr. Miller that she will be helping Dr. Winside, Alice helps Henry look through the journals, with better results.
OOC,Library Use roll (55% skill) looking through the journals: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:59 am
by HoneyDog
Alice finally finds something of interest from 1919. It is titled "Atypical Ascocarp Structures in Subterranean Fungoids" by Cornelia Price of Smith College. It describes highly unusual spores with rare, perhaps unknown properties, found in the Dunwich area. The article's contents are largely intelligible to a lay reader though, and the nature of the properties is not discussed.

The time is now 11.30.

Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:40 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"That's interesting. I'm not sure how it helps us yet but we should make a note of it. Let's call Isadora now. We can always come back later and do more research."

Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:25 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, let's call her," says Alice. "We might find more information in Albert's rooms, but I think Dunwich is most likely where he went, if that's where the fungi grow."

Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:50 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Would Alice like to call Cornelia Price now?

Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:13 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Yes, that's a good idea.

Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:23 am
by HoneyDog
Alice and Henry return to the reception desk where Alice borrows the phone and requests the operator to connect her to Smith College. She asks to be put through to Cornelia Price.
Alice,Roll Luck!

Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:27 am
by Mr. Handy

Alice is in luck.
OOC,Luck roll (65% stat) calling [b]Cornelia Price[/b]: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:30 am
by HoneyDog
Alice gets put through. The line rings, and a voice answers.

"Hello? This is Cornelia Price."

Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:15 am
by Mr. Handy

"Good morning," says Alice. "This is Alice Stanton. I'm the secretary of Dr. Miller at Miskatonic University, but right now I'm doing some work for Dr. Homer Winside, the botanist. I'd like to ask you some questions, if you don't mind, regarding a paper you wrote in 1919, 'Atypical Ascocarp Structures in Subterranean Fungoids.' Did you already happen to receive a call about this paper recently from a student named Albert Baumgartner, by any chance?"

Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:34 pm
by HoneyDog
Ms. Price’s surprise is almost tangible.

“Why, yes” she says. Dr. Winside, you say? Yes, I actually met Mr. Baumgartner about three weeks ago. He came to talk to me specifically about my paper. What is this about, Miss Stanton?”

Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:48 am
by Mr. Handy

"He went searching for fungal samples," explains Alice, "and he has not returned. We believe he was looking for the samples mentioned in your paper, in the Dunwich area."

Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:55 pm
by HoneyDog
“Oh”. There is silence on the line for a moment. Alice begins to wonder if Ms. Price is still there, then her reply comes.

“The samples I wrote about came from an abandoned railroad tunnel under Chapochaug Mountain. It’s south-west of Dunwich, between Aylesbury and Dean’s Corners. I told Mr. Baumgartner about the location. Of course, it’s possible that other samples exist elsewhere; indeed Mr. Baumgartner thought that there might be other locations, but it’s Chapochaug that we talked about.”

She pauses again. “Oh, I do hope nothing has befallen him. He’s an earnest young man, if possessed by some odd ideas regarding that fungus. Chapochaug is an eerie place, I can’t say that I relish the memory of it.”

Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:56 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, what you've told me will be very helpful," says Alice. "Hopefully we can find him now that we know where he's gone. Out of curiosity, what were his odd ideas about the fungus?"

Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:49 am
by HoneyDog
“Well, the spores are very unusual. I’ve never seen anything like them, before or since. A unique cell structure. But Mr. Baumgartner ascribed possible attributes to them which were sheer conjecture, erm… he seemed to think that they might possess miraculous medical properties, including the ability to reanimate dead cells. I really can’t see how he could have come to that conclusion. Quite extraordinary! He seemed quite reserved up until he began talking about this idea.”

Alice can hear the astonishment in her voice.

“Well, the best of luck to you Miss Stanton. Please call me again if you or the police need my help. I hope you find him safe and sound.”

Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:12 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you again," says Alice. "Goodbye, and have a nice day." After Alice finishes the call, she fills in Henry and then calls Isidora to let her know.