Chapter 1a: Long Time, No See (Isadora & Norman)

A student has gone missing and the investigators have been tasked to find him. What is the connection to the mysterious abandoned railway tunnel at Chapochaug, which is rumoured to be haunted?

Moderator: HoneyDog

HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Chapter 1a: Long Time, No See (Isadora & Norman)

Post by HoneyDog »

Boston, November 23rd 1928

It is a cold and rainy late autumn morning in Charlestown as Isadora steps out of the cab in front of Mrs. Cosgrove’s boarding house. The place looks old but well-maintained, with a fresh coat of paint on the front door. Isadora shivers in the chill air and pulls her coat around her.

She knows that this is where Norman Owens stayed in his previous time in Boston, so she hopes that her gamble pays off and that he is here. She is pretty sure that he hasn’t left the city, at least not yet.

She walks up the steps and rings the doorbell. It is soon answered by an elderly lady, who gives a start when she observes Isadora’s unconventional clothing. To Isadora’s satisfaction, she confirms Norman’s presence, and calls out to him up the stairs.

Mr. Owens!” she cries, in a surprisingly strong voice considering her age. “You have a visitor!”

That done, she turns to Isadora. “I’m sure he’ll be down in a minute”. Her voice drops to a whisper. “He doesn’t work, you know” she says, sadly.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 4 months

Re: Chapter 1a: Long Time, No See (Isadora & Norman)

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael

"Well, I'm sure he will soon find something, he is a very reliable gentleman," Isadora says, trying to reassure the landlady.

Isadora takes of her gloves, and waits. She is relieved to find her old companion so easily. She went to the court hearing, but though it better not to approach him there... and she isn't even sure that Norman realized that she was sitting there, secretly cheering when the case against him was dismissed.
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Post by Tabs »

Footsteps thundered down the stairs.

"A guest, Mrs. Cosgrove?" Norman Owens halted abruptly when he saw who it was, "Mrs Carmichael. Tea--er--would you care for a cup?" Owens' face was distinctly pale.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Mrs. Cosgrove,Roll Spot Hidden to notice Isadora's wedding ring!! If successful, roll Sanity (1/1d3) :mrgreen: :lol:
Isadora Carmichael

"Yes, please. I'm sorry to call on you without notice, Mr. Owens," Isadora says, and follows Norman.

Norman might notice, that Isadora looks somewhat worn and tired, with dark circles around her eyes (no makeup or powder can mask them!). And are those small wrinkles?
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"A pot, Mrs. Cosgrove, and some of your delicious cakes"--Owens obviously knew how to butter-up the landlady. He led Isadora into the sitting room.

"I hoped we wouldnt meet again, but, to be frank, Mrs. Carmichael, I also hoped that we would." Owens instinctively took her hand--a sign of concern, no more: "God, you look tired!"
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael

"I am indeed tired, Mr. Owens," she admits when they finally settle down with the cake, tea, and hopefully, with Mrs. Cosgrove outside the room.

"During the last three years, my own curiosity and sheer chance have drawn me into the weirdest enterprises, full of peril to body and mind. Terrible things were revealed to me... things not unlike what we experienced at that wretched house. But each revelation brought more questions, led to more secrets.

"I was lucky to undergo these enterprises with a small circle of companions, friends, even. They kept me safe. Like you did."

She lifts her teacup, and produces a faint smile.

"But I'm sorry for striking such a somber note! I also hoped that we would meet again, and I am happy to see you! I hope your return is the continuation of our friendship, and also a new beginning for you! If I or my husband can be of any help in this situation, you can count on us."
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"Of course we are friends. Friends forever!" laughed Norman, and he saluted like the cub scout he once was. "Thank you--you're offer of help," and then, as an aside, "I think I may need it."

"I'm unhappy with your account of the last three years, since--since that awful house... It sounds like events have taken a turn for the worse. For that I'm truly sorry. And these friends you mention, do they keep you safe?"
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,It's been 8 years! Norman was in Canada for a long time. I tend to lose track of time myself.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael

"We take care of each other... But we don't keep each other safe. I mean, one of us often drags the rest into peril. Who knows, I might get a message this very evening from Dr. Balzac, the eccentric French physician, or Henry, the mystery author, or Alice, who now works at the Miskatonic University over in Arkham. A message, a simple ask for help in a matter that might seem trivial at first. But then turn out to be something different.

"And even when we don't seek trouble, trouble seems to find us."
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"'Trouble'?--I don't like the sound of that!" said Owens, most concerned. "But maybe exciting? My life is dull. I'm confined--you see, every time there is an unexplained arson in the city the police call on me first," he spoke quietly, obviously distressed and worn down.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael

"Exciting, definitely."

Isadora nods, understanding the true background of Norman's legal troubles. Then she asks a questions that's been bothering her, possibly all these long years.

"I recall that our understanding of otherworldly, or, say, supernatural phenomena were at odds... But what I experienced throughout these years only solidified my beliefs in the existence of a secret, hidden world, or many worlds, behind what we commonly perceive as reality and fact, and natural sciences.

But what about you?"
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"I want to tell you of all the exciting things I've done... alas, I cannot. Can you offer me some excitement? I think you can. Like you say, I don't share your beliefs, but whatever it was--about that house--sure made me feel alive!"
Honeydog,I'm keen to meet up with the others soon.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,Once Alice has finished her meeting at the university she'll contact Isadora. But that will take a couple of days to play out I'm afraid. Once you've finished with Isadora she'll return home and find a message from Alice, so you'll have to bring your conversation to a close within that timeframe.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

OOC,I enjoy roleplaying Isadora & Norman banters! But there is only so much we can talk about now, and ultimately we can wrap up this conversation at any needed moment. :mrgreen:
Isadora Carmichael

Isadora is usually too consumed by her own thoughts and visions to pay attention to what bystanders might think about her, but this time she really hopes Mrs. Cosgrove is not eavesdropping when Norman says "can you offer me some excitement?"... Even she suspects, that out of context this sounds quite raunchy!

"Sure! And I'm looking forward to introducing you to my friends."
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

ooc,Yeah, me too.
Owens caught Isadora's glance at the kitchen door and divined a possible, unintended innuendo; he ham-fistedly invented-- "Miss Stanhope. She's my fiancé--" but couldn't invent any further and halted abruptly, two spots of colour stinging his cheeks.

"More tea?"
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,The other thread will probably be finished tomorrow, so you can finish up anytime you like.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Mrs. Cosgrove reappears from the kitchen.

"Do you need anything? Perhaps some more tea?" She smiles warmly, glad to see that Norman has a friend, even if she is a little strange-looking.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael

"No, thank you, Mrs. Cosgrove! But this cake is indeed delicious, Mr. Owens was right!"

When they are alone again, Isadora continues the conversation, although she lowers her voice to a faint whisper.

"Sometimes the strange and unexplained events make me wonder whether they were all just a dream, a figment of my overwrought imagination. But I have tangible proof... Items of uncanny characteristics, of unknown origin.

"We were searching for a lost acquaintance, in the hills around Vermont. Oh, if only you were with us, with your wilderness experience! But what we found was even worse than the fatigue and frostbites. We encountered strange, flying creatures. Like insects, only bigger, much-much bigger. They welded... weapons, you might say? Weapons that spurted out cold air, freezing everything around us!! We were lucky to get away... and I grabbed one of these weapons. I have it in my home. Maybe some day I will find a scientist I can trust to study it."
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Owens nodded, wondering at her credulity.

"Maybe we--with your husband, of course--can meet up for dinner?"
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

isadora Carmichael

"Why, yes, certainly! Henry is awfully busy lately, but I'm sure he can free up some time next week for a dinner. You can come visit us at our home. I can show you my recent paintings."

"And maybe the artifacts as well..."
she adds after some hesitation.

She checks her elegant silver wristwatch.

"Oh, sorry, I have to go now. I have an appointment with my chiropractor."

Return to “The Chapochaug Tunnel Haunting”