Lounge

A student has gone missing and the investigators have been tasked to find him. What is the connection to the mysterious abandoned railway tunnel at Chapochaug, which is rumoured to be haunted?

Moderator: HoneyDog

HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Lounge

Post by HoneyDog »

Welcome to the Chapochaug Tunnel Haunting! It's pronounced cha-po-chog in case you're wondering. This should be a relatively short adventure (by our standards) but still one in which the companions will need to take care. It will form part of what I hope is three adventures which are loosely-connected to Miskatonic University, so the action will return to the Arkham area and its surroundings.

I am thinking that Alice will have resumed her employment at Miskatonic and is asked by one of the deans to look into the disappearance of the student. He will approach her and then she can assemble the investigators to help. Norman will be staying at his old rooming house and Isadora will look him up

I will begin two threads to run simultaneously - one for Alice (and Henry, otherwise poor innsmouth will be idle), and one for Isadora and Norman to get reacquainted. Then we can merge them once the investigation starts. Try to post everyday and feel free to dialogue as much as you like. I'll start the threads as soon as I can. How does that sound?
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Re: Lounge

Post by Tabs »

Yep, looking forward to starting!
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 4 months

Post by evil_scientist »

Sounds great!

How much time has passed since the events of Dead Man Stomp? I think Isadora underwent deep sleep therapy, to deal with the horror she experienced and hopefully to regain some SAN.
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

I think that would include the use of barbiturates, which we know Isadora is partial to. I would give you a roll of 1d2 SAN gain, 'cause she has to be at risk of developing an addiction or withdrawal. Hopefully, solving this mystery without too much horror will set her right.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

I'll start a thread for Alice and Henry tonight. Alice is back at Miskatonic, working as secretary for Dr. Conrad Miller, Chair of the Biology Department. I'm taking dramatic license here, but I'm thinking that Henry is also living and writing in Arkham, and he and Alice have a thing again. He's using the university library for research, and has popped in to see Alice when she gets a summons about the missing student.

Hope that's okay with you.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Yes, that's good for me.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
innsmouth
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 10 months

Post by innsmouth »

Henry would be back staying with his Irish landlady in Arkham
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Once Alice has accepted the request she'll call Isadora to ask for help, and so there'll be a message waiting when she gets home.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Yes, I was trying to do some foreshadowing there ;) ;)
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

The beginnings and endings of these scenarios are really hard. It's so much easier when the characters know each other and have a reason to work together, but even then I have to think of a good setup. I'm always left wondering when I read these things; if I was a character, why the hell would I want to get involved? The Gaslight scenario I want to run is absolutely dreadful in that regard.

Your Sukakpak game is much tighter evil, and better for it I think. The characters have no choice but to work together.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

HoneyDog wrote:The beginnings and endings of these scenarios are really hard. It's so much easier when the characters know each other and have a reason to work together, but even then I have to think of a good setup. I'm always left wondering when I read these things; if I was a character, why the hell would I want to get involved? The Gaslight scenario I want to run is absolutely dreadful in that regard.

Your Sukakpak game is much tighter evil, and better for it I think. The characters have no choice but to work together.
I agree, hooks and motivation are the biggest problems in CoC! Most published scenarios start off with "your "friend" is in trouble and asks for your help" or "you inherit something"...

Sukakpak is a one-shot, with a fixed setting and characters. But there is a trade-off in that: it is harder to use the same characters in following adventures, unless they form a bond and decide to "investigate Mythos-related activity". But overall I still prefer to impose certain limitations on characters, so that I don't have to deal with illogical story hooks.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

In this format you have to, otherwise you'll spend months contriving some kind of situation whereby the characters get to know each other.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Indeed.

The next scenario I'm planning (also a one-shot) will require characters to be "wired" into the hook from the beginning.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Ooh! Any previews? Is it Classic?
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Sorry, another Modern game, set in the late 1970s... A scenario about cult deprogrammers. I'm still working on it, but hopefully will be good to go in December.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Intriguing! I'm enjoying the Sukakpak scenario. Perhaps an elderly Isadora can feature in it. Come to think of it, Norman would be well suited to the Alaskan wilderness.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

An 80-year old Isadora going to a new age health retreat at Mt. Sukakpak...
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

I have plans for Isadora... She'll need every last ounce / gram of sanity.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Post by Tabs »

Playing with the elderly! Now that could be interesting.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

In game time, Alice and Henry are about an hour ahead, so we can say that Isadora is able to receive the call from Henry when she arrives home.

Return to “The Chapochaug Tunnel Haunting”