915 AD - The Voyage Starts

[They] "transport beaver hides, the pelts of the black fox and swords from the farthest reaches of the Saqaliba to the Sea of Rum [i.e., the Black Sea]. The ruler of Rum [i.e., the Byzantine Empire] takes a tithe of them. If they wish, they go to the Tnys river [i.e., "Tanais", the Greek name of the Don River], Yitil [i.e., Itil, the ancient name of the Volga], or Tin [variously identified as Don or Seversky Donets], the River of the Saqaliba. They travel to Khamlij, the city of the Khazars whose ruler takes a tithe of them. Then they betake themselves to the Sea of Jurjan [Caspian Sea] and they alight on whichever of its shores they wish. ... Sometimes, they carry their goods from Jurjan by camel to Baghdad. Saqlab slaves translate for them. They claim that they are Christians and pay the jizya."

885-886, Ibn Khordadbeh writing about the Rus merchants who brought goods from Northern Europe and Northwestern Russia to Baghdad

Moderator: ghill

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: 915 AD - The Voyage Starts

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Is this Guyer Sawface?" wonders Aethelwulf aloud, though he has no way of knowing. Though he's not usually very perceptive, he can't help but notice something.
OOC,Luck roll (50% stat) finding the body: [dice]0[/dice] Spot Hidden roll (25% base skill) finding the body: [dice]1[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Cotton
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 2 months

Post by Cotton »

Image'
Valbrand was not paying much attention as he walked along, and so when his shipmates found the body and stopped he ended up stumbling into one of them. Realizing what they have found, he says, "Ah, just our luck."
Spoiler:
Luck: 40%
[dice]0[/dice]
Spot Hidden: 55%
[dice]1[/dice]
ghill
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Post by ghill »

Garpur is first around the bend in the path and sees the body
Gapur,At the same time he sees a dark shape disappearing off into the trees a wolf perhaps
Both Gapur and Aethelwulf the man whoever he is is still alive but close to death.
OOC:   Its clear to both men the man on the ground has a broken kneck  
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 7 months

Post by HelplessBystander »

Luck 75%,[dice]0[/dice]
Spot Hidden 25%,[dice]1[/dice]
Gandalf looked at the dying man in front of him with horror, "Somebody should try and save the poor sod. I don't it would be in good faith to leave 'im like that."

He attempts to try and save him with what little he knows of the medical arts.
First Aid 30%,[dice]2[/dice]
My Call of Cthulhu Campaigns:
Dead Men Walking (Looking for new members)
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 6 years 1 month

Post by Starspawn338 »

Garpur scans the forest quickly before he kneels before the dying man. "Did any of you see that wolf running off through the trees? They usually run in packs so keep an eye out."

He looks at the man and shakes his head slowly. "Not sure if there's anything we can do for him. His neck's broken. Don't move him until he's stabilized, Gandalf."
First Aid,First Aid 40 [dice]0[/dice] A critical success!
Garpur does what he can to stabilize the man's neck and upper body.
Life is a tragedy to those who feel
Life is a comedy to those who think
Life is a fantasy to those who game
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Garpur makes the man as comfortable as he can but realises there is nothing he can do the man’s death comes only the Aesir or the White God on the cross can help him now. As Garpur makes him comfortable the man starts to speak what sounds like the local tongue (Magyar) the only word any of the group sounds like black stone repeated several times before he slips away.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Should we take him back to Olaf?" asks Aethelwulf, alert to his surroundings. "He'll know if this was Guyer or not. He also needs to know that whoever killed him may still be nearby."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

OOC:   Guyer is a Norse like yourselves this man is going by his clothes almost certainly a local  
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Starspawn338 »

OOC,Was there any bite marks or blood or is the neck just broken like someone (or some thing) snapped it?
"I don't think this is Guyer. We best not run back to Olaf until we find him. I say we scout ahead along the trail but everyone keep your eyes open. I swear I saw something running off as we showed up."

Garpur wonders out loud, " What was he trying to tell us? Something about a black rock. Call out if you see anything that matches that."
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

Gandalf nodded, "I suppose I will, I suppose I will."
Cotton
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cotton »

Valbrand scans the tree line, his spear at the ready. "Are you sure it was a wolf friend? I mean would they not have stayed to eat their kill?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Aethelwulf has his sword and shield in hand. "He didn't look like he was bit at all," he says. "His neck was broke. This looks more like the work of a man to me. Let's keep going forward."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

“Yes. Let’s move forward.” Gandalf said, agreeing.
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Having decided to move on, you do the right thing and start to lift the man into a tree so the wolves can't get at him as you do so a small black stone drops from his clenched fist.

The stone is the size of a hen's egg, black in colour and with a smooth surface someone has carved runes on its surface (not in Norse) it feels slightly warm to the touch although this could well be because it has been gripped in the man's hand.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"The dying man seemed to think it was important enough to use his last words," says Aethelwulf. "Let's keep it."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

Gandalf agrees.
Cotton
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cotton »

If someone else has not already, Valbrand will pick up the black stone. "Indeed, but I think we should keep it to ourselves for now. If,
perhaps, the stone is worth something we could split that amongst the four of us alone."
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Starspawn338 »

Garpur shrugs. It's a runestone. What could it possibly be worth?

Shaking his head, he finishes securing the stranger in the tree and heads back down the trail.
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

After another hour or so's walk along the trail, the woodland starts to thin slightly there is more grass and new growth as though a clearing is starting to grow back over. At about the same time you notice the unusual absence of birdsong and other forest noises you also realise that you are standing in the centre of a ruined village the huts and local equivalents of longhouses appear to have been burnt down many years ago. A quick perusal of the ruins indicates that the weather and animals have ensured there is nothing of value here.

Walking briskly through the village and into the thicker forest on the other side you see a large gray wolf nipping flesh off what appears to be a headless body which lies on the trail, the wolf skulks off as soon as you appear. Approaching closer you find what looks to be an overnight camp and three other decapitated bodies scattered around the trail all are dressed as you'd expect trappers to be (clothing made of thick furs)

There is also a fourth stranger more mysterious corpse which cannot be identified, it is naked, eviscerated and in a very advanced state of putrefaction.

SAN CHECK 1/1D3+1
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Starspawn338 »

Sanity Roll,Sanity 65 [dice]0[/dice] OOC: Do I mark the Sanity loss on my character sheet now?
Garpur stops short at the sight of the carnage. He's never seen anything like this before in his life. He's been scared but this is a new feeling, an unsettled feeling. Spear gripped tightly in his right hand, he leans against a tree to steady himself.

Return to “Mare Balticum”