CHAR GEN - GUIDELINES/DISCUSSION

[They] "transport beaver hides, the pelts of the black fox and swords from the farthest reaches of the Saqaliba to the Sea of Rum [i.e., the Black Sea]. The ruler of Rum [i.e., the Byzantine Empire] takes a tithe of them. If they wish, they go to the Tnys river [i.e., "Tanais", the Greek name of the Don River], Yitil [i.e., Itil, the ancient name of the Volga], or Tin [variously identified as Don or Seversky Donets], the River of the Saqaliba. They travel to Khamlij, the city of the Khazars whose ruler takes a tithe of them. Then they betake themselves to the Sea of Jurjan [Caspian Sea] and they alight on whichever of its shores they wish. ... Sometimes, they carry their goods from Jurjan by camel to Baghdad. Saqlab slaves translate for them. They claim that they are Christians and pay the jizya."

885-886, Ibn Khordadbeh writing about the Rus merchants who brought goods from Northern Europe and Northwestern Russia to Baghdad

Moderator: ghill

ghill
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

CHAR GEN - GUIDELINES/DISCUSSION

Post by ghill »

This thread is for guidelines for creating and discussing character ideas DO NOT post character creation details to this thread.

We'll use standard character creation from the book for generating stats. Please make the following rolls:

Roll 3d6 each for STR, CON, POW, DEX, and APP.
Roll 2d6+6 each for SIZ and INT.
Roll 3d6+3 for EDU.

Personal Wealth will largely be determined by your character concept and Keeper fiat.

You can use the sites dice rolling script to do your stats. You are free to distribute the 3d6 rolls amongst the five stats that are rolled on 3d6, as well as to choose which 2d6+6 roll goes to SIZ and which to INT. EDU can be raised by making your character older. If you're still not satisfied with your rolls, let me know and we'll work something out. If your rolls are abnormally low, I may permit a reroll of the entire set.

You'll also need to decide on your character's age. The minimum age allowed is EDU+6, but you can always choose to make your character older. For every 10 full years above the minimum, you get +1 to your EDU (which also gets you an extra 20 occupational skill points). However, for every full 10 years above 40 (i.e., starting at age 50), you must reduce one of the following stats by 1: STR, CON, DEX, or APP.

Your character has the following derived stats:
Idea: INT x 5
Luck: POW x 5
Know: EDU x 5 (maximum of 99)
Damage Bonus: Calculate STR+SIZ and consult the following table

12 or less: -1d6
13-16: -1d4
17-24: +0
25-32: +1d4
33 or more: +1d6
Maximum Hit Points: (CON+SIZ)/2 (round fractions up)
Maximum Magic Points: POW
Starting Sanity: POW x 5

Accounting (10%):
Art (05%):
Bargain (05%):
Climb (DEX+STR%):
Conceal (15%):
Craft (05%):
Cthulhu Mythos (00%):
Dodge (DEX x 2%):
Drive Horses (20%):
Fast Talk (05%):
First Aid (30%):
Hide (10%):
Insight (05%):
Jump (25%):
Library Use (EDU x 2%):
Listen (25%):
Medicine (05%):
Natural World (10%):
Navigate (10%):
Occult (05%):
Other Kingdoms (01%):
Other Language (01%):
Own Kingdom (Russ) (20%):
Own Language: Old Norse* (EDU X 5%):
Persuade (15%):
Pilot Boat (01%):
Potions (01%):
Repair/Devise (20%):
Ride Horse (05%):
Science (01%):
Shield (15%):
Sneak (10%):
Spot Hidden (25%)
Status (15%)
Swim (25%)
Throw (25%)
Track (10%)
Write Language (01%) (Old Norse runes)

*Old Norse - (Dǫnsk tunga / Norrœnt mál) Old Norse is a North Germanic language spoken in Scandinavia, the Faroe Islands, Iceland, Greenland, parts of Russia, France, the British Isles and Ireland.

Typical Character:

FREE FARMER, FISHERMAN OR WOODSMAN
You are the salt of the earth: as a well-to-do farmer or colonist, your community depends on your crops, and you work like a horse. As a fisherman, you are living in a
fishing community by a lake or by the sea. As a woodsman you exploit the forest: you might be a hunter, a honey gatherer or a woodcutter that produces charcoal. For whatever reason (well the potential profit to be made on either working as a crewman during what would be a quiet part of the year or through trading with the foreigners) you will have joined the crew of a trade ship.

Skills: pick one craft, drive horses or pilot boat or track, the natural world, navigate, sneak or swim, spot hidden or listen, and two other skills as personal specialities.

Money: 1d2+1 100 silver Dernier

Craftsman (eg Smith/Baker/Weaver) or Small Trader
Skills: Bargain, Craft (choose one), Fast Talk, Insight, Natural World, Own Kingdom and Status, One other skill is a personal Speciality.
Money: 1d2+1 100 silver Dernier + 400 dernier in product.

I'm open to other character concepts but the idea of this campaign is a slow exposure to the mythos and so people will develop and grow in power and wealth over time, hence starting with these lowly types.
Last edited by ghill on Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: EMBOLDENED/ITALICISED/UNDERLINED AND CHANGED FONT COLOUR TO RED IN ORDER TO ENSURE PEOPLE READ IT 13/01 - Added Craftsman/Trader details.
ghill
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Re: CHAR GEN - GUIDELINES/DISCUSSION

Post by ghill »

Dark Ages Quick Start Rules

The most important part of these rules is the equipment list at the back :)

Return to “Mare Balticum”