Roots

It's the summer of 2017 in small town Virginia. The tranquility the residents take for granted is shaken by disturbing news: Karen Parker is missing. To some she may be a friend or neighbor. To others, a daughter. But regardless of the relation, the investigators set out to bring her home. But ancient evils lurk everywhere, and as the investigators are about to discover, some are very close to home...

Moderator: Silver Priest

Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 5 months

Re: Roots

Post by Silver Priest »

Peter does not answer, his gaze focused on the burning statue. Though he takes no move to put it out, he seems hesitant.

Catherine looks out back into the tress, and it is then she sees some shapes among them. Her heart leaps into her throat before she realizes they are human, though that's hardly better. There appear to be two people hiding out in the forest, though not in the same area the team had come from. They don't seem to have noticed Catherine has seen them yet, and both are remaining still and seeming to want to avoid notice. But their clothes gave them away, the colors standing out against the forest backdrop.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 4 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"There's a couple of people hiding over there," whispers Catherine to the others, pointing them out to them. "Peter, do you recognize them?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 7 months

Post by HelplessBystander »

Tobias clutches his bottle of herbicide within his hands. It's not lethal, but it can serve as a distraction if needed.
My Call of Cthulhu Campaigns:
Dead Men Walking (Looking for new members)
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Peter eyes go wide. He looks and shakes his head in the negative.

Then he raises his shotgun and shouts. "We know you're there. Come out with your hands up!"
OOC:   Both Catherine and Tobias get the impression that Peter is not as surprised as he's acting, though he does seem hesitant about something.  
Sure enough, two people emerge from out of the trees. One is a woman the investigators have not seen before, but she's wearing a police uniform that would seem to suggest she's involved with law enforcement. The other is Deputy Alex Steel, the man who had interviewed them back in Geverlon. Alex has his sidearm drawn, and the woman, who looks about a decade older, carries a shotgun. Both of them are not aiming at the investigators at the moment, and are obeying Peter's orders. For now they are still a fair distance away, and don't seem inclined to make sudden movements.

"Put that thing down before you hurt someone, Mount." The woman says, looking annoyed. Then she turns her focus to the rest of you, her gaze steely.

"You're trespassing. And I believe Deputy Steel made it clear you were to leave town."

"Y'all just could not leave well enough alone." Alex chuckles, but there's something unsettling about it.

It is then that the newcomers noticed the statue Tobias had set on fire. Alex looks startled. But the woman looks furious.

"And you've committed vandalism on historical artifacts as well. I'm only going to say this once. Drop your weapons and get down on the ground. You're all under arrest."
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

“And what is two police officers doing here in the middle of woods? Don’t tell me that this is part of your routine work shift. Officers, on what grounds can you determine that I’m trespassing? According to the proper police procedures, unless you can prove that this is private property, you cannot arrest us for tresspassing. In fact, you could lose your jobs for harassing a senior citizen.” Tobias retorted, “Also, destroying historical artefacts? Again, good luck proving that in court. Unless you could identify these statues as either a local heritage, protected property, or are part of a tourist attraction, or as public artwork, then you can’t even arrest us for vandalism.”

“This is a warrentless arrest outside of your territorial jurisdiction, officers. The forest technically expands beyond the property lines of Geverlon and are technically not an area where the County sheriff’s deputies can make a legal arrest. Even detainment requires the prerequiste of a commited felony. This isn’t private property nor is it a historical landmark, so there’s no crimes commited here. Any arrest or detainment is illegal and are grounds for legal action. I assure you that it’s conversation can and will be used against you if unlawful actions are going to be pursued.” Tobias held up his satellite phone, showing that he is in fact recording this entire conversation.
Fast talk 65%,[dice]0[/dice]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Catherine wishes Peter hadn't shouted to them, and she's not entirely sure she trusts him. She keeps an eye on the situation but says nothing for now.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Cotton
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 2 months

Post by Cotton »

As Tobias converses with the two officers, Daniel tries to take stock of the situation, mainly he wants to know if there is a place he and the others could run for cover if shooting starts.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Daniel and the others can see several trees and statues spot the area around them. Getting behind one of them could provide something in the way of cover, but would not be without risk.
OOC:   We'll say any of you can reach cover in a round, and it will lower anyone's chance to hit you by 20%, at least until someone gets close. However, running for cover and attempting to do anything else in the same round (such as attack) will lower your rolls by half.  
The two officers of Geverlon listen with bemusement to Tobias, and the old man realizes that his words, typically so convincing, are falling on deaf ears.

"Nice speech, but I think you'll find we in Geverlon operate a bit differently. Your artificial laws have no place here. "

"And we don't appreciate outsiders coming in and poking their noses where they don't belong." Alex adds.

"So, I'm only going to ask you one more. Drop your weapons, get down on the ground, and put your hands behind your heads. Failure to comply and I will use deadly force, but I'd rather not spill your blood." And then the sheriff looks at Peter. A short moment passes before he nods and turns his shotgun towards the group.

"I truly am sorry about this," he says. "But It would be better for everyone if do what she says."
OOC:   Assuming you refuse, we'll be in combat starting the next round. No surprise round, we'll act in Dex order.

Daniel
Alex
Catherine
Sheriff
Peter
Tobias

Catherine, Tobias, and Peter are probably all in point blank range of one another.

Do note I'm not necessarily encouraging you guys to have a shootout here. You could do what they say and surrender, or attempt to convince Peter to not shoot any of you. But just wanted to give you the info if you decide that's your best option here.  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Don't do this, Peter," says Catherine, looking imploringly at him. "You're not a killer. You care about Karen, and you know what will happen to her if we don't find her in time. They'll do the same thing to us as well - and to you. They know you've betrayed them by leading us here. No matter what they tell you, they'll make sure you face the same fate. Your only chance is to side with us."
OOC,Persuade roll (65% skill) to convince [b]Peter[/b] to switch sides: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"Oh Catherine, you don't understand. I'm doing this to save Karen. You really think we can just come in here and take her away? Geverlon, The Wild Ones... They'll come after us. And they'll never stop looking. To save someone intended as a sacrifice is a grave sin. But I meant what I said. I don't want any harm to come to her. So I'm going to exchange the three of you for Karen." He nods to Tobias, respectful. "He had the right idea. If you three are offered up to the Wild Ones, I'll be able to take Karen home and ensure no further harm comes to her.

"I do wish It didn't have to be this way. But you can't fight this. Please, you all want to save Karen just as much as me. So do the right thing. If I have to kill any of you it's just going to make it more difficult to get Karen out of here safely
."
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

"Wait! Iä, iä, Shub-niggurath! C'hupadgh halma Shub-Niggurath. We are also fellow worshippers of the Great Mother. Let us prove our faith to you as guests of your sanctum, not as intruders." Tobias bluffed, trying a different approach. "I know of the Old Texts, and the Old Ways that you practise. In fact, I have personally glimpsed visions of the Great Elder Beings. I have seen the truth, the universe before me, having entered the realm of Daoloth once before. We too, are on the same sides as you."
Fast Talk 65%,[dice]0[/dice]
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Tobias words seem to get a response. Peter looks at the sheriff in confusion, and Alex slightly lowers his weapon. The sheriff though still looks at him, her expression unreadable.

"Interesting. You clearly know of our ways, outsider. Though I cannot prove you are a follower of The Mother." She smiles and looks towards the Tree, and lets out an indecipherable series of calls, lyrical and nonsensical at once. Then she looks back. "But she can."

The Tree begins to move ever so slightly, and the center of it comes away like butter, or an automated door opening as people get close to it. Out of the tree step two women, who quickly find themselves on the ground.

The first woman naked and beautiful, though in an otherworldly sort of way. Her raven hair is long and flows down her breasts, and she wears only a necklace around her bare neck. Her bottom half however is exactly like the statues, and her legs end in powerful hooves like that of a goat.

The second woman is Karen. She too is naked, though her body is entirely human. She stands only slightly behind the other woman(?). When she notices the investigators, her eyes widen slightly, though it is difficult to determine in precisely which way.

"Who summons me?" The first woman speaks. Hesitantly the sheriff steps forward.

"I did, Wild Woman. These three outsiders have been trespassing on our sacred territory. What's more, they've destroyed one of your people."

The woman looks towards the burnt statue, then back towards the three investigators. "Is that so? Well, the night of the Dance is approaching. These three will do nicely."

"There's more, Wild Woman," the sheriff continues. "The old man spoke the language of The Mother. He claims they are supplicants outside the Tribe."

"Really?" And now the figure seems curious. Her gaze sweeps over all three of the outsiders, looking hungry and intrigued in equal measure. "Curious indeed. Why did you intrude upon our sacred lands and destroy one of The Mother's worshipers? Of the flock or not, I would be within my right to mate or kill each of you. perhaps I still will."

"I believe they were looking for me," Karen speaks for the first time. "They're my family. And my teacher."

"Karen!" Says Peter. "I thought you were going to be..."

The Wild Woman lets out a delightful little laugh. " Sacrificed, is that it? Oh no no no. We found this poor lost little lamp just off the road. She had lost her way. And once we learned she was from Geverlon," She gently began to stroke Karen's face. " We knew we had to induct her into the tribe. If any of you had concern for this little lamb, you needin't be. She's found her place here."

"You may call me Beth. It is an old outdated name from a useless culture, but my true name is unpronounceable to those not graced by our Mother's love. Do the three of you all claim to belong to Our Mother's flock?" she asks.
OOC:   Some significant san loss here.

First,to see the two women emerge from the tree, Catherine and Daniel can take 1/1d4+1. The sight itself was bad enough, but it confirms that there is clear supernatural involvement here,and would probably be world shaking. Tobias, having already confirmed this worldview long ago, can take 1/1d3. It's not quite as shocking to him but still profoundly terrifying.

For seeing Beth, each of you can also take 1/1d4. No San loss for Karen yet, who is just a naked teenager(though given some of your relationships towards her, the sight is very likely still disturbing.)

Finally, can everyone please make two psychology rolls, one for Karen and one for Beth?  
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

SAN 71,[dice]0[/dice] [dice]1[/dice] SAN CHECK FOR SEEING BETH: [dice]3[/dice] SAN LOST: [dice]4[/dice] IDEA 80: [dice]6[/dice] SAN REMAINING: 65
Tobias trembled slightly, but managed to control himself. "Fair Lady, I assure you, I was unaware that The Mother had graced her presence here in Geverlon, I had planned to induct Karen into her embrace once she's of age. I believe our rites are the one and the same; induction and baptisation into new life by the family members. I assure you, we were family and she was to be reborn under my supervision. It would be safer. I had far more knowledge of the rites from witnessing them over time. Do you profess to be more 'touched' than me? One who had tread into their domain before?"

"Of course. You'll excuse me for the destruction of the Wild One. It was a part of my ritual as much as yours invoked Mating and Murder. My rituals are more inclined towards...destruction. Furthermore, I was unaware that the one I had slain was family. Please, do excuse me." Tobias continued. He hoped the other will get the hint and follow his story, after all, it seems like if his story is contradicted, then they would all die.
Psychology 60%,[dice]2[/dice] [dice]5[/dice]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Catherine is shocked to see the women emerge from the tree, but the sight of Beth herself barely affects her. "I'm a new convert," she says. "He is much more knowledgeable and wise than I."
OOC,Sanity roll (current level 63) for seeing the women emerge from the tree: [dice]0[/dice] Sanity loss: [dice]1[/dice] Sanity roll (current level 61) for seeing [b]Beth[/b]: [dice]2[/dice] Psychology roll (65% skill) about [b]Karen[/b]: [dice]3[/dice] Psychology roll (65% skill) about [b]Beth[/b]: [dice]4[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Cotton
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 2 months

Post by Cotton »

Daniel is disturbed by the appearance of the two women, and by the thing calling itself Beth, but he manages to keep his composure. He says, "Indeed. Tobias has been revealing his knowledge to Catherine and myself little by little. Excuse us, we did not realize our mistake."
Spoiler:
San: 58%
[dice]0[/dice]
San: 57%
[dice]1[/dice]
Psychology: 05%
[dice]2[/dice]
[dice]3[/dice]
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

OOC:   Please excuse the slight delay.  
Daniel can't get a read on either of the women, but Catherine and Tobias have better luck. Beth is completely inhuman and from the modern human definition insane, and violently so. If not addressed in the right way she may very well snap. Karen is clearly submissive to this woman, both out of some admiration and a sense of fear. Her mental state over the past few days has taken a beating, and if nothing is done she may very well be conditioned and end up like Beth. But currently there's more to her than that, and behind her strained smile there's a palatable sense of fear and a situation in which she feels utterly out of control.

Beth does not seem to like Tobias, but after he's finished she gives a stiff nod in respect. "Fair enough. Far be it from me to tell a fellow worshiper how to follow The Mother. I welcome you and your pupils, and you may travel in these woods unmolested. But Karen is mine. She is of Geverlon stock, came here on her own volition, and will be inducted into The Mother's service tomorrow night. It is an exciting time, for you, darling." She continues to stroke Karen's hair and speaks soothingly to her, almost motheringly.

"I'm ready." Karen responds, her eyes glazed over and unfocused. Due to the horrors she has seen both Tobias and Catherine can speculate that she's suffering from some form of PTSD.

"Not yet. But you will be, darling." She turns back to the trio. "But of course, where are my manners? Whenever followers of the Mother meet, it is customary for us to celebrate. And that requires a sacrifice." She regards Peter. "You there. I've not seen you at our last few meetings with the townsfolk. You've left Geverlon?"

Peter nods, his eyes downcast. "That's right."

"Yet you still hold to our ways?"

"Of course, Wild Woman."

"Excellent darling. Drop your weapon and kneel."

There's the slightest hint of hesitation, but Peter does so. Beth turns, retries something from the tree, and holds out her hand.

"This is the sacrificial dagger, blessed by The Mother herself. As our guests, it falls on you to do the honers. Stab him, bathe in his blood! " She waits expectantly, her eyes already widening in excitement.
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

Tobias stared st the dagger offered for a long while. "Perhaps we could perform the stabbing at a more...ceremonious time. Sacrifice him at Karen's induction. I'm sure that is the ultimate induction. A baptism of blood, wouldn't it? Karen, do you want to give your opinions on this? Speak up."
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Do not worry. I have something special planned for Karen's induction." Beth explains. " And it would not do to abandon our old traditions." She waits to see if either of the others wish to kill Peter.

Karen looks towards Peter, then Beth, who simply smiles. "Please young one, give your thoughts."

The teenager is quiet for a moment before she speaks. " You should do what she says." Her tone is expressionless.

"Good girl."
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

Tobias looked painfully at Karen for a few moments, before he turned towards the two officers.

"Well? What are you two officers waiting for, string him up over our heads. If you want us to bath in the lad's blood, then we need to hang him over our heads. I assume you at least understand how gravity works, yes?" He snapped at the officers. Tobias signalled to the two behind him that it is all a ruse, follow along and make it up as they go.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'll bring you the knife, Master," says Catherine, taking it from Beth's hand and bringing it over to Tobias, reasoning that it's safer for the weapon to be in their hands than in Beth's.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Roots”