Roots

It's the summer of 2017 in small town Virginia. The tranquility the residents take for granted is shaken by disturbing news: Karen Parker is missing. To some she may be a friend or neighbor. To others, a daughter. But regardless of the relation, the investigators set out to bring her home. But ancient evils lurk everywhere, and as the investigators are about to discover, some are very close to home...

Moderator: Silver Priest

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: Roots

Post by Mr. Handy »

"So do we," says Catherine. "We were hoping that she'd come here. If she hasn't, that makes me worried. When was the last time you had contact with her?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 6 months

Post by Silver Priest »

"I sent her a letter about a month ago. I've been looking to get in touch with her for some time, and the adoption agency gave me her information. We exchanged a few letters back and forth. She mentioned she'd be visiting me soon. I assumed this would be after her 18th birthday, but that's not for a few weeks yet. I do hate to think she got lost on her way here." Joy looks upset. "The woods around here are vast and difficult for folks unaccustomed to them to navigate. If she tried to make it on foot I fear she may have lost her way."

"If you truly do think she's lost, I suggest contacting the sheriff and letting her start a search. I'd offer to help look for her but i don't go into the woods. The other side of Owle Creek, just north of town, that's where my husband died. Car accident, just a few months after we got married. I was left to raise Karen alone. You understand why I had to give her up. But I've never stopped thinking about her. Not one single day. I wanted to bring her home
."
OOC:   Psychology rolls tell you Joy does not seem all that saddened by Karen going missing. She doesn't seem particularly happy about it either, but there's no real emotion to her words. Also, there's one other thing she let slip here that may raise some questions. If you can't remember feel free to roll idea.  
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 8 months

Post by HelplessBystander »

"Well, that's strange, I thought the adoption agency don't disclose information like this without the consent of both parties. Furthermore, I'm sure they would've contacted me in a situation like as well." Tobias said, raising an eyebrow. "Ms. Henderson, I don't suppose you would mind elaborating a bit more on the situation surrounding how you knew about Karen, now, would you?"
IDEA 80,[dice]0[/dice]
Last edited by HelplessBystander on Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Call of Cthulhu Campaigns:
Dead Men Walking (Looking for new members)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, how did you get her information from the adoption agency?" asks Catherine. "I wouldn't think they could just give that out, especially as she isn't eighteen yet."
OOC,Psychology roll (65% skill) about [b]Joy[/b]: [dice]0[/dice] Idea roll (65% stat) about what [b]Joy[/b] said: [dice]1[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Indeed, both Tobias and Catherine recall the email from the adoption agency to Karen specifically said they could not give out any information about her birth mother, or indeed, give any information to them about her. Of course that was standard procedure. There's a possibility someone within the agency could have given the records over without permission, but it would be very illegal and surely heavily frowned upon.

Joy's expression narrows, and a flash of something like annoyance crosses her face upon being questioned. "I don't know what more you want from me. I spoke to a woman at the agency and she was sympathetic. She understood a mother's desire to be with her child. She gave me Karen's address and that was how I contacted her, though yes, she did encourage me to keep things quiet."

"I really wish I could help more than that, but I can't. You're welcome to search the house or interview my neighbors; but she's not here."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you, we would like to take a look around," says Catherine.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Joy tuts disapprovingly but motions for them to do so.

It's a small home, quiet and unremarkable. Joy seems to like romance novels and knitting. There's only one bedroom, and bed in it. The few closets are packed with what look like homemade doodads, suggesting a tendency to hoarding but nothing otherwise incriminating. Unless there's a secret passage, Karen's not here.

Joy does have some pictures up, but they're always only of her or an older woman who looks to be her mother. Neither baby Karen nor her late husband are pictured at all.

After they've searched the house to their satisfaction, Joy speaks again. "If you're satisfied now, I really would prefer you leave. I don't wish to be rude, but I'd really rather be alone. I am worried sick about Karen however. Please contact the sheriff and let her handle things. If Karen's around here, she'll find her." If nothing else, she shows the trio to the door.
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

"Actually, Ms. Henderson, do you mind allowing a few moments of your time to answer a few more of my questions?" Tobias said with as much politeness as he could muster. "Who are your neighbours, do you mind describing the type of people you associate with in the town? That would be appreciated. Furthermore, where were you and what were you doing during the morning around 7~8 am on Sunday? Do you know the sheriff of this town personally? I would appreciate it if you answer these pointless little questions that an old man like me has."
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

OOC:   I think this will require a persuade roll.  
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

Fast Talk 65%,[dice]0[/dice]
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Joy looks very angry, and like she's about to snap, but something in Tobias grandfatherly concern seems to touch her. Still annoyed, she nonetheless cooperates.

"Everyone on this street can attest to me, and you're more than welcome to ask them questions. At that time I was home. Believe me, if I left the house people would notice. It's not exactly common.

"The sheriff? Yes, I know of her. It's a small town, sir. I know everyone. We're not close, if that's what you're asking. She's a little younger than me and we've never much interacted socially."

Her look softens, and she sighs. "Look, all of you seem like nice enough people, and I understand your concern. But Karen's not here. If she turns up, I'll give y'all a call. But here's something to consider. If Karen decided to run away, she clearly must have been unhappy in her home life. I don't mean to make any insinuations, I'm sure her adopted family did as well as they could. But sometimes a girl craves knowing where she came from. If y'all love Karen as much as you seem to, maybe you should respect that."

"By all means do whatever you think is best, but personally I advice you folks to leave Geverlon. There's nothing for you here."
If there's nothing else, she shows everyone to the door.
OOC:   Two things. First, any of you can feel free to roll psychology any time you wish to try and confirm if someone's telling you the truth. I'll save you the time and tell you Joy seems sincere with everything she's just said. Secondly, everyone can roll idea. Success indicates that none of you have received calls from people who you'd expected to have, such as Karen's parents or the police.  
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

IDEA 80,[dice]0[/dice] [ooc]Can I spend one point of luck to make that an extreme success? :D[/ooc]
Tobias realised something. He found a deeper connection.
Cotton
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 3 months

Post by Cotton »

Daniel is angered by the woman's suggestion that Karen would run away because she was unhappy at home, and is about to say so but stops when he realizes that no one has called to check in.
Spoiler:
Idea: 50%
[dice]0[/dice]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Shouldn't we have gotten some calls by now?" asks Catherine, taking out her smartphone and checking for a signal. "I wonder if there's even cell service out here."
OOC,Idea roll (65% stat) about the phones: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

OOC:   That's a good enough roll for Tobias and Catherine that I can give you guys more, and will when it becomes noticeable. ;)  
Indeed,a quick check of the phones indicates that there is absolutely no signal. This is rather unusual. Even though Geverlon is rather isolated, it's maybe an hour away from larger metropolitan areas. It could be the forest that surrounds the town is interfering with the signal. Or there could be a something blocking cell signals from getting out of the town. But that too would be highly unusual. Not to mention rather concerning. Why would a town want to keep its contact with the outside world limited?

The team should be able to make it back to Paradise Falls and reconnect with friends, families, and colleagues, and that seems to be what Joy wants them to do. But Karen is still missing.
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

Tobias realised that there's something deeply wrong here in this town. First, with the suspicious actions of the residents, intentionally misleading explanations, and now, it is discovered that Geverlon doesn't even have working cell service. With one possible reason be the forests around town interfering with the signal. He worries about his family, but he knew through his gut instincts that Karen is in this town. "Something unusual is going on. Let's interview the neighbours and get to the bottom of the truth as quickly as possible."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"All right," says Catherine, "but at some point we're going to have to get far enough away from here to call Paradise Falls. Otherwise, they may send out a search party to find us."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

The investigators spend an hour or so visiting Joy's neighbors. Most of these folks seem hesitant to speak to outsider,s but they seem more receptive to Catherine then the others. All express sympathy for Karen's disappearance, but claim to know nothing about it. And many of them vouch for Joy's location.

There are a few things that stand out to Catherine and Tobias. First, most of the neighbors seem to be single women. The few men they meet are likewise not married. Not a single person they have encountered so far has been married. In a small town like Geverlon that seems rather unusual. And while there are children around they do seem to disproportionately favor girls. Maybe 8 of the 10 kids they see are girls, all of whom are being raised by a single mother. Asking questions about these children's fathers get a dismissive answer. They died sometime back, though most are evasive as to exactly when.

Secondly, the answers the residents of Geverlon give are somewhat uniform. All suggest asking the sheriff for help, and letting her handle it.It's almost like they're reading from a script. Pressing any further gets nervous looks and vague responses, and they are quickly asked to leave.

Finally, Catherine and Tobias have noticed something perplexing. A few of the residents they've spoken to have the same exact red birthmark on the back of their right hands as Karen does. While they can't of course examine everyone in town, everyone, man, woman, or child, who they've been able to see has had the birthmark in the exact same place. It should be nearly impossible. And none of the investigators can escape the feeling that there is something very unusual about this town.

Tobias especially feels this. Maybe it's his old adventures, but something about Geverlon seems related to that which he was once on the active lines of fighting.
OOC:   Everyone can make a san roll 0f 0/1 due to these recent developments. The town for all its small town charm is not normal, and it is becoming increasingly disturbing. The question becomes, what's your next course of action. As a reminder, here's a map of the town and surroundings  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"There's definitely something hinky about this place," says Catherine. "There are just so many things that are off about it. Why are there so few men? Joy clearly doesn't trust men. Even the priest reacted weirdly to Tobias. I think we should head back part of the way until we can get a cell signal and then call the Parkers and fill them in on what we've found so far before we dig deeper."
OOC,Sanity roll (current level 65) about Geverlon: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Cotton
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 3 months

Post by Cotton »

There's something about this town that gives Daniel an uneasy feeling. "Yeah that's probably for the best. Maybe I can talk to my coworkers and get some help looking for Karen."
Spoiler:
San: 60%
[dice]0[/dice]

Return to “Roots”