OOC

It's the summer of 2017 in small town Virginia. The tranquility the residents take for granted is shaken by disturbing news: Karen Parker is missing. To some she may be a friend or neighbor. To others, a daughter. But regardless of the relation, the investigators set out to bring her home. But ancient evils lurk everywhere, and as the investigators are about to discover, some are very close to home...

Moderator: Silver Priest

Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 5 months

Re: OOC

Post by Silver Priest »

More rolls:

[dice]0[/dice] 60 Beth attack

[dice]1[/dice] Tree

[dice]2[/dice] Tree

[dice]3[/dice] 70 Alex
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

And we are done. Thanks for playing guys, it was a really fun scenario for me to run, and I hope you all enjoyed. I was worried things were too railroadey for awhile, but hopefully the ending gave you enough freedom to act.

You all were pretty smart. Had you visited the grove at night, you'd all be pretty much doomed, as the Wild Ones were all alive then. I was surprised you all seemed to trust Peter. Nice as he was he was still a 0 san cultist, not to mention the reason Karen was lured to the town to begin with. He did mean well in his own alien way however. He earnestly believed sacrificing the three of you would convince Beth to spare Karen. Of course, she was going to kill him anyway.

(As for Beth she was also abducted by the Wild Ones years back. She's been long since broken and assimilated into their society, and any who drink of the tree's sap enough times becomes a Wild One. As a woman, Beth dominated the Wild Ones.But not being of Geverlon stock, she was never quite fully favored by the goddess. Karen however would have been, and Beth was enough of a zealot to happily cede her position to Karen. Had you not stopped her Karen too would have become a Wild Woman, but you managed to save her before she suffered too much(comparatively) to lose her humanity.)

The fight in the grove could also have gone very differently, had Tobias not bluffed very well. Without that bluff you'd have had to fight three people with guns, and I don't think your chances would have been very good. The only saving grace is that the cultists would not have wanted you guys dead, but being alive and captured is only a marginal improvement. One thing that never came up was Tobias elder sign. Had the Tree or Beth or any of the Wild Ones touched him, they'd have taken damage. Peter and the more mundane cultists could have still shot him, however, but It could have been an effective tool against the Mythos threat.

Lastly, I had to do a bit of a crossover with Delta Green there. I don't plan for this to be a campaign or anything to really come from it, but thought I'd give a little overview over what happened. Geverlon is eliminated as a threat, but its rot lives on. Daniel did save them a lot of work by destroying all the Wild Ones. Had he neglected that, they'd have taken some losses, as the one Wild One who can be active during the day(Father Allberry) would have revived his fellows and left them in wait for the raid. However they're also disappointing they did not get any corpses of the creatures to study. Considering how the other experiments turned out, however, this is almost certainly a good thing.

That's pretty much it. Hope you guys enjoyed. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to let me know. And thanks for sticking with me for the game. :)
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 7 months

Post by HelplessBystander »

It was an amazing game. Plenty of twists and turns, and I DID NOT REALISE Father Allberry was a Wild One, I thought he was just a generic cultist.

Though I had guessed that the scenario would involve Shub-Niggurath when the town was essentially only composed of women and a large forest. The Elder Sign turned to be essentially decoration this entire campaign. But if you’re planning some sort of Delta Green campaign next, I’d be happy to let Cotton’s character keep the Elder Sign. :)
My Call of Cthulhu Campaigns:
Dead Men Walking (Looking for new members)
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Thanks. Yes, there was little that revealed Allberry's nature as we played. The one big clue as to his nature was that Tobias did shake his hand, and he took damage from that. I believe I had all three of you roll to see if you picked up on his discomfort, but IIRC you either all failed or did not pursue it.

Some of the elements of the scenario were my own creation (such as Beth's backstory, and the Delta Green elements) but Allberry is an interesting figure. It's sort of written that he actually wants the cult to fail so he can go out and cause mischief in other areas. Had you all been captured I'd have probably brought him in and offered you all some Faustian bargain. As for a canon fate for him, I think he'd have taken the opportunity to get out of town and probably form his own cult somewhere else.

One thing I really liked about the scenario is how it gave most of the cultists their own motivation. All are insane, but ones like Peter can align with the players if approached correctly. The sheriff and deputy are another pair. In text whenever a man sleeps with a woman in Geverlon they are killed. But Alex and Mabel have had an ongoing relationship for several years, and lived in fear that they were going to be found out. They too could have been allies if the right screws were applied to them; even then though, they're indirectly responsible for quite a few deaths, and it would have been interesting to see if you guys would have been willing to let them go. As it stands they both me their ends at the tree. It only avoids attacking Wild Ones. Anyone else foolish enough to get close is fair game.

Glad you enjoyed though, and I think the way things turned out was pretty fun in its own right. :D
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

It was a great game, and thank you for running it! I hadn't realized at the time that Beth was the woman who had disappeared back in the 1990s, but it occurred to me when I read the epilogue here.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Cotton
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 2 months

Post by Cotton »

That was great thanks for running the game! I had a lot of fun and quite enjoyed the little hint at Delta Green at the end. If you plan on running anything else from that collection of scenarios I'd be interested in playing those as well. :D

Return to “Roots”