Roots

It's the summer of 2017 in small town Virginia. The tranquility the residents take for granted is shaken by disturbing news: Karen Parker is missing. To some she may be a friend or neighbor. To others, a daughter. But regardless of the relation, the investigators set out to bring her home. But ancient evils lurk everywhere, and as the investigators are about to discover, some are very close to home...

Moderator: Silver Priest

Re: Roots

Postby HelplessBystander » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:11 am

Tobias knocked on the door and saw the man. Not quite sure whether the guy was older or younger than him. He wondered how the man heard that they were looking for a girl so quickly.
OOC:  
HelplessBystander rolled 1d100:
68
 
My Call of Cthulhu Campaigns:
Dead Men Walking (Looking for new members)
User avatar
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 718
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:16 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Roots

Postby Mr. Handy » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:42 am

Image

"Thank you, Father," says Catherine. "It's kind of you to take us in on such short notice."

Spoiler:
Spot Hidden roll (60 / 2 = 30% skill) outside the house:
Mr. Handy rolled 1d100:
24
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 29891
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Roots

Postby Silver Priest » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:25 am

"No trouble, my dear." Allberry responds. Tobias thinks he's younger than him, perhaps in his late seventies. "Now come in. Please, make yourselves at home."

Spoiler:
Catherine noticed that upon touching Tobias, The Father's grin strained slightly and he quickly ended his contact with the older man.With the other investigators, he had lingered for longer.


The home is small, but cozy more than cramped. Father Allberry leads the trio into a sitting room and quickly returns with drinks. He hands a cup of hot coffee to each, but does not seem insitant that they drink. He settles down into a chair himself, looking as though the movement pains him.

"Now, Althie told me you're all looking for a young lady? Would you care to describe her further?" He listens intently to any description the investigators give, taking a sip from his cup from time to time.

OOC:   I assume you tell him everything, let me know if you want to omit any details  


"Interesting, though I'm afraid I can't be of much help. I haven't seen this Karen. I do know Joy in passing. Henderson, I believe her surname is. But honestly I can't remember the last time she left Geverlon. She likes to keep to herself, you understand. She's never mentioned a daughter during ah, confession, either. I'd ring her up, but it is rather late. but if you'd all like to visit her tomorrow I'd be happy to accompany you. Serve as a bit of an intermediary." Though his tone is serious, he continues to smile reassuringly.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 994
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:12 pm

Re: Roots

Postby Mr. Handy » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:23 am

Image

"Here's a picture of Karen," says Catherine, showing him one of the pictures they had printed. "What can you tell us about Joy Henderson, and about Geverlon?"
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 29891
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Roots

Postby Silver Priest » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:43 am

Father Allberry takes the picture and examines it carefully.

"She's a very pretty girl. It would be a shame if harm had befallen her, but I promise you that nothing would have happened to her in Geverlon.The townsfolk are a peaceful stock."

"Joy Henderson has like most of us lived here her entire life. She was married once, briefly, but her husband passed sometime ago. She rarely gets out. She's friendly enough, mind, but not much interested in company.

"As for Geverlon? Oh, we've been here since before America! The town was established in 1760, by explorers who happened upon the area and a local Indian tribe. Unlike most such encounters in the area, the two groups managed to integrate and the town quickly grew into a small, peaceful village. We've never been a metropolis, understand; presently we harbor about 800 souls. But we're a nice, friendly little community who haven't forgotten the importance of hard work and family.

"The name Geverlon actually derives from the natives that inhabited the area. It means Tree Of Life, or Iron Wood, depending on whom you ask
."

The Father finishes his coffee. "If you have any more questions I am of course all ears. If not however, I'll show you to your accommodations."
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 994
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:12 pm

Re: Roots

Postby HelplessBystander » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:01 am

“Interesting. This...I’ll see whether any of these information become relevant. Thank you for your help. Please, do show us our accomodations.” Tobias fingered his gun, eyeing the man suspiciously. Something about him—no, the whole town doesn’t seem right. They are all acting too unnaturally. It’s almost as if their actions were...anticipated by the townsfolk. Something is very wrong.
My Call of Cthulhu Campaigns:
Dead Men Walking (Looking for new members)
User avatar
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 718
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:16 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Roots

Postby Silver Priest » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:00 am

OOC:   If you have any further questions do feel free to ask, but I'll move us on.  


"Please, follow me." Father Goodberry leads the investigators down the hallway. Two rooms are across from one another here. He turns to the group with an apologetic look upon his face. "You'll have to sleep in separate rooms, I'm afraid. They each only have two beds."

He opens the first door. The bedroom is largely unremarkable, if a bit small. Two beds are here however, along with closet space and a dresser.

"I think the gentleman should sleep in here. Madame, you can sleep in the other room. Normally it is my own, but I have business to attend to and will just stay in my study tonight. You are our guests, after all. "He continues to smile. "The bathroom is just down the hall. Goodnight to you all. And try not to worry; it's all under control." He heads back into the living room and leaves the three of you to settle in.

OOC:   Everyone can give me a spot hidden roll as you examine the bedrooms.  


Spoiler:
The rooms are not only dated, dust has accumulated on much of the furniture throughout the house as well, suggesting it sees little use. In addition, despite being a priest's home there's no religious icons anywhere that any of you can see.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 994
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:12 pm

Re: Roots

Postby HelplessBystander » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:11 pm

Spoiler:
HelplessBystander rolled 1d100:
27


For a devoutly religious person, it is unusual for them to not have religious symbols or statues in the guests' room. Many religions advocate hospitality, and no guardian statues or scriptures seemed...odd. No statues of Jesus Christ nor signs of a bible or any indication of religious beliefs. Tobias believes that unless they have something to hide, there should be some sort of religious symbolisms in the guest room.

Geverlon...Tree of Life...all of it sounds awfully Pagan. There may be a root of nature worship behind the history of the town. Unusual backstory there.

He checks the closest and everywhere else. Attempting to find any out of the ordinary. If worst comes to worst, he'll have a look around by pretending to go to the toilet. "Quick question, am I correct in assuming that we are resting in the house of the Lord?"
My Call of Cthulhu Campaigns:
Dead Men Walking (Looking for new members)
User avatar
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 718
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:16 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Roots

Postby Silver Priest » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:46 am

The unusual lack of religious symbols are concerning, but there are no signs of anything Tobias can recognize as belonging to the occult or even darker things he had stumbled upon throughout his life.

He encounters Father Allberry in his study, and poses the question to him. The man chuckles. "One could say everywhere belongs to the Lord, don't you think? But yes, I am a priest. Overt religious symbols may make some folks uncomfortable, and I have no wish to do so. But if you or your friends would like me to proselytize..." his grin widens. "However, I imagine your search for this Karen will take precedence at the moment. So please, don't let me keep you. Get some rest and we can visit Joy in the morning."
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 994
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:12 pm

Re: Roots

Postby Cotton » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:21 am

Image

Daniel notices the lack of religious iconography, the dust on the furniture, and Tobias' nervousness. Once they're both alone in their room he says, "Do you think there's something about Karen that the Father isn't telling us? I can't put my finger on it exactly, but something seems off about this town."
Spoiler:
Spot Hidden: 65%
Cotton rolled 1d100:
46
Cotton
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 361
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:18 am

Re: Roots

Postby HelplessBystander » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:00 am

"Yeah, I think so too." Tobias muttered uncertainly.
My Call of Cthulhu Campaigns:
Dead Men Walking (Looking for new members)
User avatar
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 718
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:16 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Roots

Postby Silver Priest » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:44 am

The next morning comes after perhaps uneasy sleep for our investigators. But they all rise, still in one piece.

Father Allberry offers a simple breakfast. It is nowhere near as good as the diner.

"So, I imagine you would like to start by interviewing Joy. I'd be happy to accompany you. She can be rather shy with outsiders. I think having me around would encourage her to be more talkative."

It would seem the investigators now had a choice. Did theywant the Father to accompany them, or did they instead want to try and confront Joy alone?
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 994
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:12 pm

Re: Roots

Postby HelplessBystander » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:42 am

Tobias do not trust the priest. He would much rather do the interview without the priest shadowing their every move.
My Call of Cthulhu Campaigns:
Dead Men Walking (Looking for new members)
User avatar
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 718
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:16 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Roots

Postby Cotton » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:04 am

Image

Daniel is certain he'll be able to handle the interview without the odd priest's help.
Cotton
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 361
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:18 am

Re: Roots

Postby Mr. Handy » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:25 am

Image

Catherine is also suspicious of the priest, particularly from the lack of use of what he said was his own room, and she would prefer that the three of them interview Joy without him.

Spoiler:
Spot Hidden roll (60% skill) in the bedroom:
Mr. Handy rolled 1d100:
46
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 29891
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Roots

Postby Silver Priest » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:14 am

Father Allberry is kindly informed his presence is not required. He takes this news as well as anything else, and continues to grin.

"Ah, well fair enough. I may just get in the way. Well then; good hunting." He lets them leave without another word.

Joy's home is another modest structure on another street filled with more or less identical homes. The front is painted white and she has a beautiful flower garden that is flourishing on the patio just outside her home.

A knock on the door soon has it open, and a woman answers. She is mousy, looking rather quiet and unassuming. If this is Joy, she looks little like Karen in either appearance or personality.

Spoiler:
Image


"Yes?" The woman says, her voice quiet and carrying with it a soft southern twang. "Can I help you?"

OOC:   Anyone making a psychology roll can tell the woman's nervous, especially of Tobias and Daniel. Her eyes seem to focus on them more than Catherine.  
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 994
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:12 pm

Re: Roots

Postby Mr. Handy » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:22 am

Image

"Good morning," says Catheine. "Are you Joy Henderson?"

Spoiler:
Psychology roll (65% skill) about the woman:
Mr. Handy rolled 1d100:
55
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 29891
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Roots

Postby Silver Priest » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:46 pm

The woman seems to relax ever so slightly when Catherine is the first to speak, but she still seems cautious.

"Yes I am. May I help you?" She keeps the door only half open and does not extend an invitation.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 994
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:12 pm

Re: Roots

Postby HelplessBystander » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:47 am

Spoiler:
HelplessBystander rolled 1d100:
51


Tobias grimaced as he observed the change in Joy's expression. She knew about them. Something's definitely going on. She's not supposed to know anything about them. Disguising his expression, he feigned politeness, "Bonjour, Madame. I am here to enquire after my granddaughter, I am of the understanding that you're her biological mother, no? She had ran away from home recently. Va savoir pourquoi !"

He threw his hands up in the air as he said so in resignation.
My Call of Cthulhu Campaigns:
Dead Men Walking (Looking for new members)
User avatar
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 718
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:16 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Roots

Postby Silver Priest » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:31 am

"Oh. I see." Reluctantly, Joy opens the door and motions. "Please, come in."

She leads the group to a table in the kitchen and offers them all a seat.

"You said that Karen ran away? She's not here. I hope she's alright," she asks with concern.

OOC:   I won't even make you roll. Her reaction shifts from resignation to your visit to concern very quickly. It's too early in the conversation to tell if she's trying to mislead you all, however. You'll need to ask some more questions and then roll psychology to see to that.  
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 994
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:12 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Roots

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron