Chapter 4: Turner's Blues

Boston, August 1928. The jazz age is in full swing, but there’s one trumpet player whose music does a lot more than merely inspire people to dance. An encounter in a nightclub will lead to the investigators being plunged into a sanity-shattering chain of events while they try to prevent greater catastrophe.

Moderator: HoneyDog

innsmouth
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 10 months

Re: Chapter 4: Turner's Blues

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

"That's very kind. if you're sure we won't be imposing on Auden?"
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 4 months

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael

"He never objects to me inviting guests. And we can call him in advance. I'm just... I'm just afraid he will want an explanation. Well, he is entitled to one, I mean, he really cares for me, and for you folks too, to an extent. And I don't know what to tell him."
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
innsmouth
Adept
Adept

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

"Tell him the body fell out of the coffin at the funeral we were attending and that we're all a bit shook up?"
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael

"Yes... yes, that's a good idea. Oh how much I hate lying to him... But this is safer this way."

Isadora tries to call her husband, George Auden, in his office or at home, to tell him that she and her friends are coming around to the house, and that one of them, Alice, will stay at the guest room for the night.
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Post by HoneyDog »

George is at the office. He’s happy to have Isadora’s friends visit, although he may have to work late and so won't be home until later. However, he offers his fine Canadian Whiskey in order for the heroes to take the edge off their day. This also gives them time to take care of business.

Later, they arrive at Isadora’s house as the sun is setting. Exhausted and hungry, the cook fetches them something to eat. They are able to finally sit down in private and discuss the one outstanding issue left from their adventure – what to do with the trumpet.
OOC,You've discussed three options: keeping it, destroying it, or playing it. Let's have your final decision.
innsmouth
Adept
Adept

Post by innsmouth »

OOC:   I think it goes in Isadora's safe - for now ...  
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael

Indeed, Isadora proposes to put the trumpet in her safe. At some point, she will want to study the strange hieroglyphs.

The safe box (hidden under her art supplies) already contains the quick sketches she made of the alien creatures up on the mountain, and the salvaged weapon. Isadora always carries the key to the safe on a silver chain around her neck.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Post by HoneyDog »

The trumpet is deposited in the safe, where it should be unable to cause any mischief, at least for now.

Later, George returns, and noting the companions' flagging spirits, regales them with tales of salacious gossip about members of Boston society. But exhaustion sets in, and soon everyone is asleep.

The morning papers carry an interesting story; it seems that several graves in the Dorchester North Burying Ground were vandalized, and some corpses were disinterred. Some local residents claimed to see what appeared to be walking corpses in the vicinity, but these reports are not seen as credible by the police, especially as they believe they have a culprit.

Leroy Turner, a jazz trumpeter with a record for marijuana possession, was found at the grave of his girlfriend Marnie Smeaton, holding her disinterred corpse. Turner's face was deeply scratched and he was babbling incoherently, apparently quite insane. He has been remanded to a state institution where he will undergo psychiatric evaluation, but one police insider stated that he is unlikely to stand trial.

Things begin to return to normal for the investigators. But a few weeks later, Isadora receives a package from Mitch Wester . It is a copy of the first album by the 5-Star Band, recorded a few days before the Manusco murder. One track contains a trumpet solo credited to Leroy Turner. The tune is entitled 'Dead Man Stomp'.
OOC,That's it guys, thanks again for playing.
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 14 years 4 months

Post by andyw666 »

Thank You,Thank you again, Honeydog, another fabulously entertaining adventure!
Zeppo
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 6 years 9 months

Post by Zeppo »

Thanks HoneyDog!

Return to “Dead Man Stomp”