Page 1 of 1

Chapter 3: Hey! Mr. Trumpet Man

Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:51 am
by HoneyDog
The investigators make their way to Leonard Court and the speakeasy. Leonard Court is a small cul-de-sac, so it isn’t difficult to locate the blue door. Knocking on it results in a peephole in the door being opened. A practiced eye regards the companions for a moment, and then a voice says, “Whatchoo want?”

Stating that they were sent by Mitch Wester is the key to the door opening. The interior however, is about as far from the Blue Heaven as it’s possible to get. The building is old and dingy, with sawdust strewn on the floor, and is poorly lit. The denizens are mostly black and working class. Several pairs of eyes turn to stare at the newcomers, but most however are concerned with their drinks, and many seem to be on their way to drunken oblivion. There won’t be much hope of some quality booze here though.

There is a bar against the far wall, tended by a surly looking man, who glares at the heroes suspiciously. Leroy Turner can be seen by himself at a table, staring into his drink with a faraway expression on his face. His trumpet lays on the table next to him.

Re: Chapter 3: Hey! Mr. Trumpet Man

Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:31 am
by Zeppo
Ron walks over and leans on the bar and orders himself a drink.

"And one for that gentleman too," he says, nodding in Leroy's direction. "By the way, I like the door on this place. Is there a story behind it?"

Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:32 am
by HoneyDog
The Barman stares blankly at Ron.

“It’s a door Mister. That’s it.”

He pours two ‘whiskies’.

Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:57 am
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

"...and one for me too, please," says Isadora, stepping up to the bar. Self-medicating with alcohol is a bad thing... but she needs a drink to steady her nerves after the funeral.

"Just let's be careful when talking to Turner," she says to Ron. "We don't want to scare him or anything."

She takes her drink, and walks over to Turner's table.

"I'm sorry, may we sit down with you?"

Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:11 pm
by HoneyDog
Turner looks up as Isadora speaks to him. His expression doesn’t change, although he visibly tenses. He is obviously wondering what this is about.

“Well, go ahead”
he says, with a noticeable Louisiana accent.

Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:08 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you," says Alice, taking a seat. "Mitch Wester and the rest of the band went down to the hospital after the funeral. I must say, you're a very good trumpeter. Our friend Dr. Balzac here plays the trumpet too, but you're better at it than he is." She gives Dr. Balzac a shrug and a smile. "I'm sorry, Dr. Balzac, but it's true."

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:16 am
by HoneyDog
“You were at the funeral? Weren’t that something? Ain’t never seen anything like that before.”

Turner looks at Henry and obviously recognizes him from the night before.

“You folks was at the Blue Heaven too, weren’t you? Trouble must follow you around”. He chuckles, then suddenly looks wary.

“Is there something I can help y’all with? You be needing a horn player?”

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:42 am
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"I'm not sure if trouble is following us or if we're following trouble." Henry replies.

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:00 pm
by HoneyDog
Turner gives Henry a quizzical look, unsure of how to take his statement. He knocks back his drink and lays the glass on the table.

"Well, it was nice seeing you folks, but I gotta get."

He starts to rise from his chair.

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:26 pm
by Mr. Handy

"We have seen something like what happened at the funeral before," says Alice. "It happened last night, at the Blue Heaven. You couldn't see it from where you were, but we could. The man who was shot, he got back up again too."

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:26 pm
by HoneyDog
That's real interesting Miss" says Turner, after a slight pause. "But I don't know why you're telling me. That shooting was nothin' to do with me". He picks up his horn.

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:53 am
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

"Please, Mr. Turner... This is not about the shooting. I'm afraid that trouble is following you... Please, let us help."

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:57 am
by HoneyDog
Turner stops and stares at Isadora.

“How do you mean Miss?” he asks. “What kind of trouble?”

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:02 am
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

"The strange kind," Isadora says, struggling to translate her vision into words. And she is still slightly shocked by the funeral. "Do you ever feel... unusual? Like something weird is following you around, destroying your life, like a curse?"

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:07 am
by HoneyDog
Turner looks amused. “Well, apart from losing my girl, nope, I can’t say that I do”.

He sits back down abruptly. “Look, if you wanna ask me strange questions, you’d best get me another drink.”

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:52 am
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

Henry gets Turner a drink.

"Say, I'm real interested in who taught you to play and where your got that trumpet of yours?"

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:05 pm
by HoneyDog
Turner eagerly takes a gulp of his drink. “I bin playing since I could walk. My daddy showed me how.” He sits back down in the chair. As he does so, he raises up his trumpet.

“This beauty!” he exclaims. “Such a sweet sound. It was given to me by Mr. Louis Armstrong, no less. Last week I was playing in South Boston with a scratch band. I went outside for a smoke, and Mr. Armstrong, he walks up to me and says “Leroy, you’re such a good player, I want you to have one of my horns.” And he gave it to me, right there.”
Everyone,You can roll Psychology.

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:37 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael
Psychology 20%

[dice]0[/dice]

Isadora misses the subtle undertones.

"Well, the instrument is only worth as much as the player... But say, is Mr. Armstrong your teacher, or mentor of sorts?"

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:50 pm
by Zeppo
Ron takes a large swig of his drink and rather enjoys it.
Spoiler:
Psychology
Psychology at 5
Rolled 61
http://orokos.com/roll/557108
We should ask what happened to his girl he thinks to himself.

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:02 pm
by innsmouth
Spoiler:
Henry Psychology 11 [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:30 am
by andyw666
OOC,5% Psychology and Balzac rolls... [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:48 am
by Mr. Handy

"That was very kind of Mr. Armstrong," says Alice. "He's not only very talented, but he recognizes talent when he sees it."
OOC,Psychology roll (60% skill) about [b]Turner[/b]: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:15 am
by HoneyDog
Turner laughs at Isadora’s question. “No, he never taught me. That was the only time I met him. He’s far too busy to be spending time on someone like me.”

He nods towards Alice. “That’s very kind of you, Miss”.
Everyone,You can roll Know. (Sorry it's about the trumpet)

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:19 am
by Mr. Handy

Alice has of course heard of Louis Armstrong.
OOC,Know roll (80% stat) in the speakeasy: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:55 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,Everyone's gone shy so I'll roll for you. Get ready! Isadora Knowledge 40: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/558050]Know[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]41[/b] Henry Knowledge 65: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/558051]Know[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]13[/b] Balzac's a trumpet player - I'll give it to him. Ron Knowledge 80: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/558052]Know[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]34[/b]
Alice & Henry & Balzac & Ron,As Turner brandishes his horn, you notice something quite unusual about it. Trumpets usually only have three valves, but this one has four.

Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:24 am
by andyw666
Know,[b]Balzac[/b] has a 99% and rolls... [dice]0[/dice]
OOC:   Critical success if it matters  

Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:48 am
by Mr. Handy

"That's certainly an unusual trumpet," says Alice, giving it an admiring look. "Most of them only have three valves. What does the fourth one do?"

Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:08 am
by HoneyDog
“It gives me a real sweet sound, I guess”. Turner smiles, then finishes his drink.

Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:13 am
by andyw666
Balzac looks intrigued. "Monsieur, I play the trumpet a little myself, but as a humble amateur. I cannot compare to your mastery. I am most interested in this make of trumpet. Can you tell me who the maker is, or can I see the maker's mark?"

Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:58 am
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"Say Balzac, I'd love to hear you play a quick tune on that fine instrument."

Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:56 pm
by HoneyDog
Turner hesitates for a moment – he is obviously a little wary about letting others handle his beloved instrument, but he lets Balzac take it.

Its silver finish is also quite unusual – it is crackled, much like the skin of a reptile. Looking inside the bell, those standing close can see an encircling ring of strange symbols.

Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:31 pm
by Zeppo
The symbols mean very little to Ron.
Spoiler:
Occult,
Occult of 5
Rolled 50
http://orokos.com/roll/558270
"So what happened with your girl?" he asks Leroy, offering the trumpet player a cigarette.

Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:38 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

Isadora, mesmerized by the unusual instrument, takes a closer look at the symbols. Is it something she might have seen before? Maybe in one of the tomes of the Theosophic Society's extensive library? Or during her own disjointed researches?

Occult 45%
[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:08 pm
by HoneyDog
Turner takes the cigarette from Ron and lights up. He answers in a voice which is quiet and inoffensive, but which is also pained and unwilling to elaborate.

“She was killed by a car. Probably a drunk driver. They never found out who it was. They didn’t look particularly hard, but then…”. His jaw suddenly clenches; he doesn’t want to talk about this. He holds out his hand.

“My horn, please” he says in a quiet, determined voice.
Isadora,Isadora does not recognise the symbols, but she can determine that they don't resemble any occult script that she knows about - this is something new, or at least very rare.

Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:49 am
by andyw666
Balzac reverently reverses the trumpet and hands it back to Turner.

"Of course, Monsieur. I quite understand how personal one's musical instrument becomes. You are too kind even to allow me to hold it."

"I know I am from across the border, but I must confess I do not recognize the maker's trade mark. An American craftsman perhaps?"

Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:20 am
by Mr. Handy

Alice isn't sure what the symbols mean. "Could you please play something for us?" she asks. "I'd love to hear you play again."
OOC,Occult roll (5% base skill) about the symbols: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:09 am
by HoneyDog
“I’ve no idea what the markings mean” admits Turner. “This horn is obviously handmade, it’s not from any of the big manufacturers.”

Crinkling his eyes towards Alice, he says, “How can I refuse such a request?”

Raising the trumpet to his lips, he plays a tune, not jazz, perhaps not readily identifiable, but maybe with roots in an older kind of music his ancestors brought with them from Africa. The attention of the entire speakeasy becomes focused on him, and the sweet melody hangs in the air. It is a tune which feels full of longing and loss, but also joy and love. After it is over, the bar gives him rapturous applause. One drunkard cheers so loud he falls over. Some of the others come over and press drinks on Turner, which he accepts, bowing deeply. Soon after, the speak gets back to normal.

Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:06 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you," says Alice, applauding with complete sincerity. "That was wonderful!"

Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:03 am
by HoneyDog
"You're welcome" replies Turner. "But now I really should be going. It was nice to meet you all."

He heads for the door, a little unsteady on his feet.

Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:18 am
by andyw666
Balzac raises his bowler to Turner. "Bonne journée, Monsieur."

Puzzled, Balzac then pulls out his notebook and attempts to draw the markings he saw on the trumpet.

"Shall we perhaps adjourn to a café to consider further?"

Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:04 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"A good plan Dr Balzac. After that I think I'll go and see Verena since she wasn't at the Blue Heaven before the trouble last night."

Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:09 am
by Mr. Handy

"It's just as well she wasn't there, considering what happened," says Alice. "Let's go, then."

Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:03 am
by HoneyDog
The companions leave the speakeasy and head to the end of the street, which is empty apart from a taxi idling a bit further up. Leroy Turner can be seen at the end of the road, stumbling a little.

Suddenly, a grey Packard rolls around the corner and skids to a halt. Two white men jump out and bundle Turner in, and the car pulls off. The whole thing is over in seconds.

Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:30 am
by andyw666
Balzac watches on with some amazement. Turning to the others with a look of exasperation, "What is going on here? Who are these criminals who shoot people in night clubs and abduct trumpet players by day? Should we call the police? Do we think they can be trusted to care?"

"And just to be clear, what I said earlier was just to calm the crowd. That man in the coffin was very very dead. He had been embalmed. His getting out of the coffin falls into the same inexplicable, beyond current science category as our recent experiences in Vermont or at that quaint farmhouse."

OOC,Can the team make Know rolls or anything to identify which criminal organisation these men might belong to?

Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:39 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,You could, but it's a very, let's say, passive action, considering the situation.

Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:58 am
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

Henry hails the taxi and bundles everyone in before the Packard disappears out of sight.

"If you'd be so good as to follow that car. We'll pay double!"

Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:47 pm
by HoneyDog
The cabby has obviously witnessed at least part of the event. He quickly gets over his surprise on hearing Henry's offer to double the fare.

"Sure!" he says,springing into action. "Hang on, folks".

He pulls away from the curb, in the direction of the Packard.
OOC,Cabbie Drive 60: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/559471]Drive[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]6[/b]
The Cabbie, whose name the companions can see from his ID is Benny, expertly navigates the busy streets and traffic and quickly catches up with the Packard, staying a couple of cars behind.
OOC,You can use this opportunity to speculate as to the kidnappers. Everyone can roll knowledge,but Balzac has to roll at half, as his score is so high and he won't be that familiar with the city.

Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:54 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

"Is it... the Mob?" guesses Isadora, pronouncing the word as if it was in a foreign language. She doesn't follow news much, but has heard her husband talking about criminal organizations.

Knowledge 40%
[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:58 pm
by Zeppo
"I've got an odd feeling that I know who those men are," Ron murmurs
Spoiler:
Know,
Knowledge of 80
Rolled 43
http://orokos.com/roll/559494

Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:33 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"This fellow sure can drive eh Balzac?"

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:16 am
by Mr. Handy

"You must be right," Alice says to Isadora.
OOC,Know roll (80% stat) about the kidnappers: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:17 am
by andyw666
Know,Half Balzac's Know is 50% and he rolls.. [dice]0[/dice]
Balzac nods happily at the display of driving skill. "Nice driving, Monsieur."

"I have no idea what we will do when that car arrives at its destination though."

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:33 am
by Zeppo
"I've got a couple of ideas," growls Ron.

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:28 am
by HoneyDog
Isadora & Alice & Ron,You might have come across the name of [b]Archie 'The Boss' Bonato[/b] in the newspapers; his gang has been particularly active lately.
Benny expertly tails the Packard, whose occupants seem to be completely unaware that they are being followed. The car heads out of the city center towards the waterfront.

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:18 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"Looks like we're heading for the waterfront."

Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:50 am
by Mr. Handy

Alice keeps her thoughts to herself for now. Benny might not be so eager to chase these guys if he realizes for whom they probably work.

Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:32 am
by andyw666
Balzac ponders. "I wonder - although clearly these men are not behaving ethically - if our trumpet player qualifies as ethically behaved himself? Still, we cannot allow such a talent to be wasted, I suppose."

Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:59 am
by HoneyDog
The Packard continues on into a rundown warehouse area, full of weed-filled lots and shabby buildings. This section has obviously seen better days. The Packard finally pulls in and parks beside a large garage. The companions can see two heavy trucks parked adjacently.

Benny halts the cab and everyone can see four men exit the Packard. Turner is among them, being pulled along. One of the other men has his trumpet. They enter the garage.

"Whaddyu folks wanna do?" asks Benny, his eyes wide.

Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:48 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"We could call on the police, but it might be too late for Mr Turner ..."

Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:01 pm
by Zeppo
"Let's see what they want with our trumped player", Ron hops out of the cab and listens carefully to see if he can overhear anything.
Spoiler:
Listen,
Listen of 75
Rolled 24
http://orokos.com/roll/560265

Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:21 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,You'll have to move to the building if you want to hear anything, you're too far away now.

Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:17 am
by Mr. Handy

"Benny should stay here with the cab, keeping the motor running," suggests Alice. "We may need to get out of here in a hurry. The rest of us can then get closer and try to find out what's happening."

Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:34 pm
by HoneyDog
Benny nods. “You best be careful folks. I want to collect my fare!”

The heroes leave the cab and move quietly towards the garage. There is no-one outside; it seems that the gang are not expecting any visitors. The companions find that they can move behind the trucks which face out of the garage. At the rear of the garage is a wide room, a depot perhaps, which faces onto an alley.

The door to the depot is open, and the windows which face the alley have drawn blinds, but these are old and ragged, so it will be possible to see and hear what goes on inside. Daring souls might even try entering through the door…

Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:41 am
by Mr. Handy

"I think these guys might work for Archie 'The Boss' Bonato,'" Alice whispers as she creeps closer to a window so she can hear and see what's going on inside the depot.

Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:43 am
by HoneyDog
Everyone looking inside can see two of the men from the car tying Turner to a chair in the room, passing the ropes around his body so that his arms are free. He looks apprehensive, and is sweating freely.

“Wot you want?” he says “I dint do nuthin to you gentlemen”.

“Shut up” says the third man from the car. The investigators recognize him as the gunman. He is holding Turner’s trumpet and is regarding him coldly.

As the other two men finish their tying, a fifth man walks in. He is a large, powerful looking man in his forties, a little fat around the belly but still tough-looking, wearing shirtsleeves. A long cigar is sticking from his mouth.

Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:16 am
by andyw666
Balzac pulls out his little Colt 38 Special but holds it carefully pointed at the sky. He indicates to the others to keep quiet and keep watching.

Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:57 pm
by HoneyDog
The big man stands silently regarding Turner, who visibly grows more apprehensive.

Eventually the man says, “Is this the boy?”

“Yes” says the gunman.

“Tell me again what you saw, Joey. More briefly, this time.” says the big man.

Joey recounts the previous events from his perspective.

“I followed that group who was at the Blue heaven to the funeral. That jazz band was there too. As this boy started playing his horn, the guy in the coffin bust out and started walking. I couldn’t believe it, but then I remembered that last night people saw Manusco walking around after I shot ‘im. And this boy was playing then, too.”

Joey suddenly smacks Turner across the back of his head. “My girl, Laurette, she’s colored see, she tells me it’s that voodoo shit. Mebbe we could use it.”

The big man snorts derisively. “Still sounds like bullshit to me, Joey. Are you sure about this?”

“Sure I’m sure Boss replies Joey eagerly. He’s sweating though.

The Boss is silent again, puffing on his cigar. Eventually he says “No screw-ups Joey, like with Manusco”.

Joey stiffens. “No way Boss.”

“Cause that was a dumb piece of work, Joey. Keeping Blue Heaven closed is costing me a lot of dough. We got two trucks full of booze to offload out there, remember? All you had to do is warn the guy, and you went and blew his damn head off. Now I gotta get a new accountant.”

He puffs some more, while the other men shift their feet anxiously. A look passes between the boss and one of the men next to Turner, beside Joey.

“Okay Joey says the Boss. “I’ll bite. Let’s give this a try. I want you to shoot yourself.”

The room seems to suddenly stand still.

Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:53 pm
by Mr. Handy

Alice watches silently, horrified and fascinated.

Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:30 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

Isadora unconsciously grabs Alice's arm and holds on to her while watching the events unfold.

Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:38 am
by HoneyDog
Joey’s face visibly twitches, but otherwise he doesn’t move.

The Boss sighs. “Look Joey, this here black boy, according to you, can bring you back to life. So what’s the problem? Shoot yourself.”

Turner’s eyes are wide with panic. “I can’t do nuthin’ like that. You folks is crazy”. The man on the other side of him smacks him across the head to silence him.

The Boss spits on the floor in disgust. Little Jimmy, you do it” he commands.

Joey’s hand goes to his jacket as he turns to the man next to him. Meanwhile, the Boss has pulled his own weapon. He shoots Joey, and as he collapses, he shoots him again in the heart. The reports of the gunshots echo though the room.

Little Jimmy bends over Joey. “He’s dead, Boss”.

The Boss shakes his head. “I always told him that gun was too big for a fast draw.” He turns to Turner. “Okay jazz man, do your thing. Give him the trumpet.”

Little Jimmy
hands over the instrument. Turner is shaking in panic, his wide eyes fixed on the Boss. “Blow goddammit!” shouts the Boss.

Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:46 am
by andyw666
Balzac, fearing what may happen next, crouches down and squeezes his eyes shut. He no longer feels strong enough for such assaults on his psyche.

Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:07 am
by HoneyDog
Shakily, Turner raises his trumpet to his lips. The light in the room reflects off the instruments crackled finish. He swallows hard, moistens his lips, and soon the sound of ‘High Society’ fills the room.

Sure enough, Joey’s blood-drenched corpse begins to twitch. Recoiling, Little Jimmy and the other thug step away, towards the Boss. Slowly, Joey sits up.

The room now becomes filled with the curses of the astounded watchers. These include Turner, who has stopped playing and is watching in amazement.

“Keep going boy!” shouts the Boss. Turner begins to play again.

Seeing the Boss, Joey starts to lurch toward him, blood streaming from his mouth. As the men back away, Little Jimmy picks up a Thompson gun from a desk, and fires a burst into Joey.

As the corpse spasms and twitches, Turner begins to giggle. To those watching, it seems that maybe something has torn itself loose within him. He starts to play ‘Tiger Rag’. As the music plays and the bullets spray, the corpse dances and jerks in a macabre waltz. Soon the room is splattered with blood and gore as the heavy .45 slugs tear Joey apart. His shredded body falls to the floor, and Little Jimmy drops the empty weapon.

The men cross themselves and go to the desk where they start to fix drinks from some bottles, shaking their heads. They are obviously very shaken up. Turner stops playing, and silently sits regarding the corpse, his eyes wide, his face twitching and drenched with sweat.
OOC,Everyone must roll for SAN, if your character dared to witness this awful event. Penalties are 1/1d6. Please also roll Luck. And lastly, you can roll Psychology, or Ron and Balzac can roll Medicine as to Turner's mental state.

Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:37 am
by Mr. Handy

Alice did not have enough time to look away, and the sight overwhelms her.
OOC,Sanity roll (current level 64) for seeing [b]Joey[/b] rise: [dice]0[/dice] Sanity loss for seeing [b]Joey[/b] rise: [dice]3[/dice] Idea roll (65% stat) to avoid temporary insanity - failure is good: [dice]4[/dice] Luck roll (65% stat) outside the depot: [dice]1[/dice] Psychology roll (60% skill) about [b]Turner[/b]: [dice]2[/dice]

Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:11 am
by HoneyDog
Mr. Handy,It looks like temporary insanity for poor Alice. You can choose something suitable for the situation if you like, if not roll 1d10 and we'll see if something appropriate comes up.
OOC,Don't forget to keep track of your sanity everyone! This scenario is quite a drain on it. There's likely more horror to come.

Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:40 am
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

Isadora's curiosity triumphs over her instinct of self preservation. She cannot avert her eyes, and witnesses everything - yet she is somehow able to process it. She holds on even tighter to Alice, and tries to comfort her. "We... we will think of something..." she whispers.
Rolls,[b]Sanity 58[/b] [dice]0[/dice] [b]Luck 65[/b] [dice]1[/dice] [b]Psychology 20[/b] [dice]2[/dice]

Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:20 am
by Zeppo
Spoiler:
Dice
Sanity check failed
http://orokos.com/roll/561039

Sanity loss 6
(new sanity 19)
http://orokos.com/roll/561040

Luck passed (13 / 35)
http://orokos.com/roll/561041
Ron bangs his fist on the window.
"Let him go, you bastards" he screams, face going red with fury. "Let him go!"

Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:55 pm
by innsmouth
Spoiler:
Henry Sanity 60 [dice]2[/dice]
Spoiler:
San Loss [dice]3[/dice]Sanity now 57
Spoiler:
Henry Luck 65 [dice]0[/dice]
Spoiler:
Henry Psychology 11 [dice]1[/dice]
Henry half screams and clutches on to Alice and Isadora.

Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:50 pm
by Mr. Handy

Swooning, Alice faints dead away in Henry's arms.

Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:55 pm
by HoneyDog
Zeppo,It looks like Ron has temporary insanity too. You can choose to have a fit, or you can roll 1d10 and we can pick a condition. Just be aware of the possible consequences of what Ron has done above, you can change if you like.

Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:21 am
by Zeppo
Spoiler:
OOC,
Sorry, I'd meant for the outburst of anger to be his temporary insanity. I'll roll with it anyway, since I've said it, but feel free to roll 1D10 for a condition for him.

Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:31 am
by HoneyDog
Zeppo,Oh, no problem. Irrational anger is fine and we can go with that. It's going to bring out the occupants of the building though...

Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:33 am
by Zeppo
Spoiler:
OOC,
Cheers, DM. No worries I'm sure Balzac can handle them =)

Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:14 am
by andyw666
Luck,65% and Balzac rolls... [dice]0[/dice]
Medicine,87% and Balzac rolls... [dice]1[/dice]
OOC:   If it matters, that's a critical success for Medicine.  

Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:41 am
by HoneyDog
The horrific sight of the Joey being cut to pieces by bullets - murdered not once, but twice, right in front of their eyes, has been too much for some of the companions. Alice faints, and while Henry and Isadora try to aid her, they tremble with fear.

Balzac could not bring himself to witness the event, and thus has kept a hold on his sanity. He opens his eyes now to take stock of what has happened.
Balzac,[b]Balzac[/b] has enough experience of combat trauma to see from just a quick glance at [b]Turner[/b] that the event has broken his mind.
For Ron, the sight is too much, arousing in him an irrational anger which he is forced to give vent to. His shouts of outrage shock the three gangsters inside the room.

“What the hell…?” says the Boss. He pulls his gun from his waistband and turns around. The other unnamed man follows suit.

Little Jimmy, however, has clearly also been deeply affected by the murder. Perhaps it is the gruesome way in which he killed his friend, or the sight of his reanimated corpse to begin with. Hearing Ron’s shouts, he clasps the crucifix hanging around his neck.

“It’s judgement!” he shouts. “Judgement on us!” His eyes are wide, and almost starting from his head. His lips are bared in an anguished grimace.

“What the fuck are you talking about, Jimmy?” says the other man, who also looks to be in a state of shock.

“The devil brought him back. To punish us!” Jimmy takes his own gun from his waistband and begins to wave it wildly.

“Get a hold of yourself, goddamit” growls the Boss, who is sweating profusely.

Turner, still tied to his chair, begins to giggle.
OOC,Most of the luck rolls suceeded; you'll see the significance of that later. Don't forget that even if you passed the SAN roll, you still lose 1 point.

Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:39 am
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"I've got to get Aluce out of here!"

Henry carries Alice back towards the car ...

Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:33 am
by andyw666
Balzac sighs. "There is no saving Turner. Let's get out of here while we can!" He helps move Alice.

"Ron, come on! This is not our battle."

Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:16 am
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

Isadora helps carry Alice as quick as possible to the cab.

Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:35 pm
by HoneyDog
Mr. Handy,Alice will have passed out for 1d10+4 combat rounds: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/561841]Temp SAn loss duration[/url]: [u]1d10[/u] [b]7[/b]+4=11. As everyone is leaving, shall we say about an hour of game time?
Zeppo,Ron will have his rage fit for 1d10+4 combat rounds: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/561842]Temp SAN loss duration[/url]: [u]1d10[/u] [b]5[/b] + 4 = 9. We've had about one round already, so Ron will continue to be enraged for some time. You can play it however you want, however you think Ron would probably act in such an extraordinary situation.

Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:44 pm
by Zeppo
Ron grabs Balzac by the shirt.
"Don't go soft on me now," he growls

Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:17 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,11 combat rounds would probably only be a few minutes, though there's no reason the temporary insanity couldn't last longer if you wish.

Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:04 am
by HoneyDog
Mr. Handy,I was just thinking as Alice is likely to be driven away in the taxi. But she can come to on the way to the next destination. I'll leave it up to however you'd like to play it.

Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:19 am
by andyw666
Balzac looks frustrated. "Don't be a fool Ron! The trumpet man's mind is broken, we cannot save him. And those gangsters have bigger guns. We cannot win here and dying would be stupid."

Irritated, Balzac tears free, losing buttons if need be, and continues helping carry Alice. He keeps looking over his shoulder to see if said gangsters have appeared.

Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:21 pm
by HoneyDog
Ron,Inside the room, [b]Little Jimmy[/b] is still ranting about judgement. [color=#408000]“We bin judged, see? It’s Judgement Day. The dead are coming back to us.”[/color] The [b]other goon[/b] grabs him in an attempt to calm him down, seizing his wrist. As the two struggle, [b]Jimmy’s[/b] gun goes off and the man collapses to the ground. [color=#BF4000][b]“Jimmy!”[/b][/color] bellows the [b]Boss[/b], his face livid. [b]Jimmy[/b] stands still, foolishly staring at his outstretched hands, one of which holds his smoking gun. [b]Turner[/b] laughs in delight, but it is the laugh of a demented man. He raises his horn and starts to play.

Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:20 am
by Zeppo
Ron holds is calloused palm out.
"Let's have your pistol then, Balzac"
OOC:   Keeper, let me know when the temporary insanity is over please!  

Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:52 am
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

Henry looks over his shoulder while helping Alice's limp form into the cab.

"Get in the damn car Ronald!"

Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:07 am
by andyw666
Balzac thrusts the little handgun into Ron's hand then continues helping lug Alice.

"Snap out of it Ron, this is not our war. If you go in there, I will not be following you."
Handgun,Colt 38 revolver with 5 rounds loaded, FYI.

Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:28 pm
by Zeppo
OOC:   DM, can I hear any more that is going on inside?  

Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:03 am
by HoneyDog
Zeppo,I'll let you know when it's over, but there's about 7 rounds left, so he's still crazy for a while.
Henry & Isadora,Luckily, [b]Benny[/b] is still there with his cab, although his is frantic with worry. [color=#40BF00] “What the hell is happening!”[/color] he shouts. [color=#40BF00]“I heard a machine-gun! Jesus Christ!”[/color] Seeing [b]Alice’s[/b] limp form, he says [color=#40BF00]“Is she hit? Get her inside quick!”[/color]
Balzac & Ron,Inside the room, the undead form of the third goon is now grappling with [b]Jimmy,[/b] who is screaming incoherently. [color=#BF8000]“The hell with this!”[/color] shouts the [b]Boss[/b]. He runs out the door, towards the garage area, away from where [b]Ron[/b] and [b]Balzac[/b] are watching. [b]Turner[/b] has stopped playing. While the others are preoccupied, he tips his chair over and manages to loose himself from his bonds. He then runs out of the front of the shop, clutching his trumpet, laughing maniacally.

Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:04 pm
by Zeppo
Spoiler:
DM,
Is there a half-decent chance to take a shot at the boss from where Ron is?

Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:12 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,The Boss left the room, only Little Jimmy and the undead goon are left.

Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:22 am
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

"She is in shock!" Isadora explains to the driver. "G-get the motor going! ...please!"

She glances back towards the building, nervously. Where is Balzac and Ron? Are they coming already?

Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:47 am
by andyw666
Balzac shouts: "Turner! What is going on? What have you done?"

Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:49 pm
by HoneyDog
Henry,[color=#80BF00]“Quick then, get her in!”[/color] [b]Benny [/b]helps [b]Henry[/b] get [b]Alice[/b] into the back of his cab.
Isadora,Glancing back, [b]Isadora[/b] can see the [b]Boss[/b] climb into the cab of one of the trucks parked in the garage.
Balzac & Ron,[b]Balzac[/b] shouts after [b]Turner,[/b] but he’s gone. The reanimated thug has seized [b]Little Jimmy[/b] around the neck, and is squeezing his throat. [b]Jimmy[/b] beats ineffectually at his assailants chest and face.

Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:52 pm
by Zeppo
Spoiler:
Can I take a shot at the reanimated corpse? I'm not really clear on the situation, am I shooting through a window?

Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:12 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,The windows are closed, which will give a penalty if you attempt to shoot, but only for the first shot.

Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:38 am
by Zeppo
Spoiler:
I assume the handgun gets a couple of shots per round? Let's go for it then!

Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:19 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,You can have two shots, the first with a -10 penalty.

Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:12 pm
by Zeppo
Spoiler:
Dice Rolls,
First shot 58 - misses
Second shot 70 - misses
http://orokos.com/roll/563267

Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:12 pm
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Those rolls for the shots were not valid. The rolls were against 1d00 instead of 1d100, which is why they both came back as 0.

Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:50 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,Thanks Mr. Handy. Zeppo, please roll again and edit your post accordingly .

Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:32 pm
by Zeppo
Spoiler:
It's done!
Despite his anger, Ron takes careful aim before he squeezes the trigger. However, the shattering glass startles him and his shots go wild.

Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:17 am
by HoneyDog
Balzac & Ron,The deceased mobster finishes his grisly work. [b]Little Jimmy[/b] ceases to struggle, and his face turns purple as he gasps his last breath. The reanimated corpse stands and lets out a scream of rage and anguish, then crumples to the floor, lifeless.
Isadora & Henry,[b]Alice[/b] is safely in the cab and [b]Benny[/b] has the engine running. As they stand there wondering what has become of the others, one of the trucks parked in the garage moves out. It passes the parked cab.
Everyone,Everyone can hear sirens in the distance.

Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:26 am
by Zeppo
Ron aims two (I assume?) more shots at the reanimated corpse.
Spoiler:
Dice,
91 - misses
15 - hits
http://orokos.com/roll/563862

Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:28 am
by HoneyDog
Ron & Balzac,The shot thuds into the lifeless corpse on the floor.

Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:34 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

"Come on already!" Isadora nervously screams out of the cab's window to Balzac and Ron. She knows that they cannot risk an encounter with the police.

"If they don't come to us right now, we might have to leave them behind..." she mumbles to the others.

Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:15 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"I'm only waiting for Balzac. If he doesn't get here soon this Ron character will have to look after himself!"

Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:23 am
by andyw666
Balzac fills his lungs and roars at Ron, "Ron, we must run or we will be arrested!! The thugs are dead and we must find the trumpet man!! He must be stopped!!"

Whether Ron follows or not, Balzac races to the taxi.

Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:14 am
by Zeppo
Ron flees along with Balzac. As he goes he wipes down the pistol and flings it into some neighbouring undergrowth.

Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:35 am
by HoneyDog
Everyone piles into the cab and Benny takes off at speed. On the way out, the cab passes a patrol car heading in the opposite direction.

“What the hell happened back there?” demands Benny. “I only stayed ‘cause that boy got kidnapped and I figured you folks was going to find out where they took ‘im, but I didn’t expect a war to break out! Are you in trouble? Wait, I don’t wanna know! You’d better tell me where you wanna go now, and I expect a very big tip!”

Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:59 am
by andyw666
Balzac looks at the others, trying to get his brain working. "Fear not, Monsieur, you shall get the large tip indeed. Take us downtown for now, thank you."

He pauses to pull out a distinctive blue pack of Gauloises, lights one up then passes the pack around. The taxi fills with the aroma of strong French tobacco and Balzac cracks a window out of consideration for the ladies.

Balzac, hands no longer shaking, then quickly checks Alice's vitals.

"Well, mes amis, we are once again in the merde. What now, should we take Alice somewhere to recover or should we keep trying to find the mad trumpeter?"
OOC,Let me know if he needs to make a Medicine roll for Alice.

Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:12 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Don't worry, Alice will recover soon, in another 3 turns. Sorry Mr. Handy, you have to kick your heels a bit longer.

Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:13 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,That's okay. It's just as well that [b]Alice[/b] stays passed out a while longer, as I'm leaving for a convention tomorrow anyway.

Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:03 am
by andyw666
Balzac pulls out his pocket watch with one hand and takes Alice's pulse at her wrist with the other. He feels her forehead with the back of his hand. "Fear not, the young lady will recover shortly. What state her psyche is in, I cannot say, but we have all suffered in that regard."

Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:29 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

"And what state Turner is in!.. He is now indeed a mad trumpeter. Although I suspect that his instrument might be the source of this madness! Have you all seen those queer symbols on it?"

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:58 am
by andyw666
Balzac shakes his head sadly. "My impression was the trumpeter's mind has snapped permanently. But what damage might he cause now? And how would we stop him even if we could find him?"

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:51 pm
by HoneyDog
Zeppo,Ron's temporary insanity is finished; he can begin to calm down and be more rational now.

Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:09 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

Isadora's eyes roll upwards, she lets out a muffled scream, and pushes her back against the cab's cushions. Vile visions fill her mind. But this seizure lasts only a few seconds.

"What if... what if..." she gasps, trying to catch her breath.

"What if he now will want to use this power? Bring back the dead?"

Suddenly, a realization dawns on her.

"His girlfriend..."

Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:19 pm
by Zeppo
"Well at least we know where we'll be able to find him," says Ron.

Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:42 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

"We need to find out where she's buried... maybe Mr. Turner's band mates know?"

Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:08 pm
by HoneyDog
Mr. Handy,Alice can regain consciousness now.

Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:22 am
by Mr. Handy

Alice's eyes flutter open. "Wh-what happened?" she mumbles.

Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:35 am
by andyw666
Balzac takes Alice's pulse at her wrist again. "You fainted Mlle, but you are safe now, as much as any of us is."

"The funeral home we have the card for, Morgan & Dupuy, surely they would know where the trumpet player's wife is buried?"

Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:44 am
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

"I don't think she was her wife. And we don't know her name. And there can be dozens of other funeral homes in town!" Isadora is a bit desperate. "But it's worth a try, of course. But we need to contact the musicians first, to get the name at least."

Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:22 pm
by HoneyDog
Benny pulls over at a call box, and sits there, drumming the wheel nervously. Checking the telephone directory, there is a listing for Mitchell Wester in Dorchester.
Everyone,Whomever calls Mitch Wester needs to roll Luck. Anyone is also welcome to roll Psychology in regards to Benny.

Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:32 pm
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

"It's ok Alice you're safe now. We all are."
Spoiler:
Henry Psychology 11 [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:43 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael
Psychology 20%
[dice]0[/dice]

Isadora swings into action and dials Mitch Wester, hoping he is available.

Luck 65%
[dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:21 pm
by HoneyDog
Isadora hears a mans voice on the line.

Hello, Mitch Wester speaking."

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:21 am
by Mr. Handy

Alice wraps her arms around Henry and leans into him, still a little dizzy and lightheaded. "Thank you," she says. "I know I fainted. I meant, what happened after I fainted?"
OOC,Psychology roll (60% skill) about [b]Benny[/b]: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:35 am
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

"Oh, hello, Mr. Wester, this is Isadora Carmichael speaking... uh, we met at the Blue Heaven, and then at the funeral... I'm sorry to disturb you, but this is about Mr. Turner. I'm afraid he's in deep, deep trouble, and I (and my friends want to help him)... But I need some information you might know."

If Mitch Wester doesn't object, she asks: "We need to find Mr. Turner, and we think he went to his girlfriend's tomb. Do you know where's she buried?"

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:42 am
by HoneyDog
Wester is silent for a time.

"What kinda trouble, Miss Carmichael? he asks.

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:01 am
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

Isadora considers her options for a second. She knows, that she is not a great bluffer, and might offend Mr. Wester with a transparent lie. But would Mr. Wester believe the truth? He might just do so, after all, he witnessed the weird events at the funeral. Finally Isadora decides to start with the mob angle - something more understandable.

"Thank you, Mr. Wester, for hearing me out.

"Mr. Turner attracted the attention of bad men... bad men with guns. They kidnapped him, but then there was a shootout, and Mr. Turner escaped. But they abducted him because they think Turner's music can... bring back the dead. I know this sounds insane! But that's what happened at the ballroom, and at the funeral.

"But even if Turner's music has nothing to do with those uncanny events, he himself is now convinced that he can raise his girlfriend. And we're afraid that if he doesn't succeed, he will commit suicide."

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:30 am
by HoneyDog
Wester is silent again. Isadora can almost hear him thinking.

"It's a pretty crazy tale alright. But everything is crazy when it comes to Leroy and that trumpet".

He is quiet again.

"He'll be at Dorchester North Burial Ground. Her name was Marnie Smeaton. I'll come as soon as I can but it might take a while. God bless you for helping him." Isadora can hear the gratitude in his voice.
Isadora,Isadora gains one SAN point.

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:44 am
by innsmouth
Henry Glynn

Henry gently cradles Alice.

"We carried you back to the car - three of us."

"Not that it needed three of us." he adds blushing.

"Turner has gone off crazy and we're worried what he will do next. Isadora is on the telephone trying to track him down."

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:53 am
by evil_scientist
Isadora Carmichael

"Thank you, Mr. Wester!" says Isadora, and hangs up.

"Dorchester North Burial Ground is where we need to be... let's go! Mr., uh, Mr. Benny, I'm sure you know the way."

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:27 pm
by HoneyDog
Alice,[b]Benny[/b] is very tense, but [b]Alice[/b] can tell that in fact it’s due to excitement rather than fear.
“Yeah, I know it” replies Benny. “But we haven’t discussed my fee. This is danger money, you know. You folks are mixed up in some crazy stuff. You’d better make it worth my while.”

He’s very serious. Nevertheless, he pulls away from the curb and out into the street, on the way back to Dorchester.
OOC,I'll begin a new thread tomorrow, as we near our horrific climax. Feel free to post in this thread anything you want to continue talking about.

Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:58 am
by andyw666
Balzac pulls $20 out of his pockets in various crumpled notes and hands them to Benny. "Monsieur, we'll double that if you just stay with us the rest of this journey."

Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:02 am
by HoneyDog
Jimmy glances at the money and curls his lip.

"You can double it and then double it again" he says. "Half now, and I'll wait at the cemetery for you. But if it gets too hairy, I'm gone."
OOC,We'll move to the new thread now.