Chapter 3: Hey! Mr. Trumpet Man

Boston, August 1928. The jazz age is in full swing, but there’s one trumpet player whose music does a lot more than merely inspire people to dance. An encounter in a nightclub will lead to the investigators being plunged into a sanity-shattering chain of events while they try to prevent greater catastrophe.

Moderator: HoneyDog

HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Chapter 3: Hey! Mr. Trumpet Man

Post by HoneyDog »

The investigators make their way to Leonard Court and the speakeasy. Leonard Court is a small cul-de-sac, so it isn’t difficult to locate the blue door. Knocking on it results in a peephole in the door being opened. A practiced eye regards the companions for a moment, and then a voice says, “Whatchoo want?”

Stating that they were sent by Mitch Wester is the key to the door opening. The interior however, is about as far from the Blue Heaven as it’s possible to get. The building is old and dingy, with sawdust strewn on the floor, and is poorly lit. The denizens are mostly black and working class. Several pairs of eyes turn to stare at the newcomers, but most however are concerned with their drinks, and many seem to be on their way to drunken oblivion. There won’t be much hope of some quality booze here though.

There is a bar against the far wall, tended by a surly looking man, who glares at the heroes suspiciously. Leroy Turner can be seen by himself at a table, staring into his drink with a faraway expression on his face. His trumpet lays on the table next to him.
Zeppo
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 6 years 9 months

Re: Chapter 3: Hey! Mr. Trumpet Man

Post by Zeppo »

Ron walks over and leans on the bar and orders himself a drink.

"And one for that gentleman too," he says, nodding in Leroy's direction. "By the way, I like the door on this place. Is there a story behind it?"
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

The Barman stares blankly at Ron.

“It’s a door Mister. That’s it.”

He pours two ‘whiskies’.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 4 months

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael

"...and one for me too, please," says Isadora, stepping up to the bar. Self-medicating with alcohol is a bad thing... but she needs a drink to steady her nerves after the funeral.

"Just let's be careful when talking to Turner," she says to Ron. "We don't want to scare him or anything."

She takes her drink, and walks over to Turner's table.

"I'm sorry, may we sit down with you?"
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Turner looks up as Isadora speaks to him. His expression doesn’t change, although he visibly tenses. He is obviously wondering what this is about.

“Well, go ahead”
he says, with a noticeable Louisiana accent.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you," says Alice, taking a seat. "Mitch Wester and the rest of the band went down to the hospital after the funeral. I must say, you're a very good trumpeter. Our friend Dr. Balzac here plays the trumpet too, but you're better at it than he is." She gives Dr. Balzac a shrug and a smile. "I'm sorry, Dr. Balzac, but it's true."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“You were at the funeral? Weren’t that something? Ain’t never seen anything like that before.”

Turner looks at Henry and obviously recognizes him from the night before.

“You folks was at the Blue Heaven too, weren’t you? Trouble must follow you around”. He chuckles, then suddenly looks wary.

“Is there something I can help y’all with? You be needing a horn player?”
innsmouth
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 10 months

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

"I'm not sure if trouble is following us or if we're following trouble." Henry replies.
Last edited by innsmouth on Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Turner gives Henry a quizzical look, unsure of how to take his statement. He knocks back his drink and lays the glass on the table.

"Well, it was nice seeing you folks, but I gotta get."

He starts to rise from his chair.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We have seen something like what happened at the funeral before," says Alice. "It happened last night, at the Blue Heaven. You couldn't see it from where you were, but we could. The man who was shot, he got back up again too."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

That's real interesting Miss" says Turner, after a slight pause. "But I don't know why you're telling me. That shooting was nothin' to do with me". He picks up his horn.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael

"Please, Mr. Turner... This is not about the shooting. I'm afraid that trouble is following you... Please, let us help."
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Turner stops and stares at Isadora.

“How do you mean Miss?” he asks. “What kind of trouble?”
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael

"The strange kind," Isadora says, struggling to translate her vision into words. And she is still slightly shocked by the funeral. "Do you ever feel... unusual? Like something weird is following you around, destroying your life, like a curse?"
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Turner looks amused. “Well, apart from losing my girl, nope, I can’t say that I do”.

He sits back down abruptly. “Look, if you wanna ask me strange questions, you’d best get me another drink.”
innsmouth
Adept
Adept

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

Henry gets Turner a drink.

"Say, I'm real interested in who taught you to play and where your got that trumpet of yours?"
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Turner eagerly takes a gulp of his drink. “I bin playing since I could walk. My daddy showed me how.” He sits back down in the chair. As he does so, he raises up his trumpet.

“This beauty!” he exclaims. “Such a sweet sound. It was given to me by Mr. Louis Armstrong, no less. Last week I was playing in South Boston with a scratch band. I went outside for a smoke, and Mr. Armstrong, he walks up to me and says “Leroy, you’re such a good player, I want you to have one of my horns.” And he gave it to me, right there.”
Everyone,You can roll Psychology.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael
Psychology 20%

[dice]0[/dice]

Isadora misses the subtle undertones.

"Well, the instrument is only worth as much as the player... But say, is Mr. Armstrong your teacher, or mentor of sorts?"
Zeppo
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 6 years 9 months

Post by Zeppo »

Ron takes a large swig of his drink and rather enjoys it.
Spoiler:
Psychology
Psychology at 5
Rolled 61
http://orokos.com/roll/557108
We should ask what happened to his girl he thinks to himself.
innsmouth
Adept
Adept

Post by innsmouth »

Spoiler:
Henry Psychology 11 [dice]0[/dice]

Return to “Dead Man Stomp”