Chapter 2: The Next Day

Boston, August 1928. The jazz age is in full swing, but there’s one trumpet player whose music does a lot more than merely inspire people to dance. An encounter in a nightclub will lead to the investigators being plunged into a sanity-shattering chain of events while they try to prevent greater catastrophe.

Moderator: HoneyDog

HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Chapter 2: The Next Day

Post by HoneyDog »

The investigators awaken the next morning, with the previous day’s events still fresh in their minds. The shocking violence and its bizarre aftermath ended in nightmares for some. But they are determined to get to the bottom of the mystery.

A look at the morning paper reveals some details about the shooting. The victim has been identified by his wallet as Peter Manusco, a self-employed accountant with no previous record. It is believed that he entered the Ballroom in a moment of weakness, and was mistaken for some criminal foe. It is reported that despite the gunshot, and being mortally wounded, he somehow willed himself to be alive, and tried to reach help but was again cut down, ironically by the very aid he sought.

The Mayor’s office announces the closure of the Blue Heaven Ballroom, offering thanks that such a cesspool of crime and vice has been located. The manager, Mr. Roland Marlow, has been arraigned on charges relating to the Volstead Act. A Bureau of Investigation agent, Roger Daniels, was present at the club and confirms the sale of alcohol.
OOC,All can roll Idea. (It's not about what you read in the article, but about another source of information.)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: Chapter 2: The Next Day

Post by Mr. Handy »

Something occurs to Alice when she reads the story in the newspaper.
OOC,Idea roll (65% stat) about the newspaper article: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 14 years 4 months

Post by andyw666 »

Idea,Is 70% and [b]Balzac[/b] rolls... [dice]0[/dice]
Balzac had managed to get some sleep via insane quantities of Canadian whisky. The morning finds him horribly hung-over and reading the papers with shaking hands...
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 4 months

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael
Idea 70

[dice]0[/dice]

Isadora has strange dreams... But "some ideas arrive in the form of a dream", as someone once said.

In the morning, she snatches the newspaper before her husband can read it. Luckily, he is mostly interested in the business and the theater section, which she hands over during breakfast.
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,To keep things moving I'll roll for Henry and Ron. Henry Idea 70: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/551980]Idea[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]89[/b] Ron Idea 45: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/551981]Idea[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]36[/b]
Alice & Balzac & Isadora & Ron,Looking at the paper, or standing at the newsstand, you remember or see that Boston also has the [i]Boston Guardian[/i], a newspaper for the city's black community. Maybe it might have some relevant information? The newspaper is very different to the [i]Globe[/i], both in tone and content. It is concerned solely with events and stories concerning matters pertinent to Colored Society. There is a long story on Marcus Garvey, an article on sharecropping in the south, and it's implications for Black health, education and general livelihood. It doesn't seem to overlap with other newspapers. There is no mention of the Manusco murder. [ooc]Can you think where in the paper there might be some useful information? If you [i]really[/i] can't think of it, roll Idea.[/ooc]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Alice flips to the obituary section. If there's a funeral, that means someone has died.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Alice & Balzac & Isadora & Ron,Turning to the obituaries section, you can see the funeral announcements. A funeral and procession is scheduled today for 11am at Morgan and Dupuy for Frederick Lincoln Fayette. The procession will be led by his brother-in-law, bandleader Mr. Mitchell Wester.
OOC,Will you all meet up at the funeral at 11? The time now is say about 8am. Is there anything else you want to do?
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Balzac will stagger around to Isadora's about nine am, bearing patisserie breakfast, to discuss tactics for crashing a coloured funeral.
OOC:   Do the party know anything about the deceased, whose funeral it is?  
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC:   Balzac was too hungover to read the above post!  
Zeppo
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 6 years 9 months

Post by Zeppo »

OOC:   Like a bad smell, Ron turns up again with Balzac.  
innsmouth
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 10 months

Post by innsmouth »

OOC:   Having no Boston lodgings Henry will have stayed at Auden's place and so will be up to speed via Isadora  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We need to dress the part," says Alice. "We should wear black and dress formally. Isadora and I ought to wear gloves and veils as well."
OOC,[b]Alice[/b] would probably be staying there too,
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

OOC:   Sorry, what I meant was can we make any kind of roll to know something more about this Frederick guy? The guy whose funeral we are gate crashing.  
"I only have this green suit but I can wear a black bowtie." Balzac offers.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 4 months

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael

When all the people crash at her house, Isadora privately asks them to keep silent about yesterday's events... She doesn't want her husband to get nervous. She also asks them to refer to today's funeral as that of a distant relative of Balzac.

She puts on a black dress, and an elegant veiled hat, and gives something similar to Alice as well. If their dress sizes don't match up, she offers a big black stola-type garment that Alice can wear over her usual clothes.
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
innsmouth
Adept
Adept

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

Much of Henry's wardrobe is now splattered with blood and space fungus but he still has the grey suit and will impose upon George to lend him a suitable tie.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

andyw666 wrote:
OOC:   Sorry, what I meant was can we make any kind of roll to know something more about this Frederick guy? The guy whose funeral we are gate crashing.  

innsmouth wrote:Henry Glynn

Much of Henry's wardrobe is now splattered with blood and space fungus but he still has the grey suit and will impose upon George to lend him a suitable tie.
OOC:   Andy - Don't worry. To get more information, you'll have to search out earlier editions of the newspaper.  
OOC:   Why on earth would Henry not wash the space fungus out of his clothes?  
innsmouth
Adept
Adept

Post by innsmouth »

OOC:   Dry clean only  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Alice chooses a black dress that, while light and sleeveless to keep her from overheating in the hot August weather, is not as revealing as the one she had worn the night before. A pair of black gloves and a hat with a veil complete the ensemble.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,Everyone seems ready to head out. Does Balzac want to find out more information first? If not, I'll direct everyone to the funeral.
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

OOC,No, [b]Balzac[/b] is increasingly unhinged and erratic so he's happy to wing it without further ado. None of this research business.
OOC:   A distant relative of Balzac's?  

Return to “Dead Man Stomp”