Chapter 3: Hey! Mr. Trumpet Man

Boston, August 1928. The jazz age is in full swing, but there’s one trumpet player whose music does a lot more than merely inspire people to dance. An encounter in a nightclub will lead to the investigators being plunged into a sanity-shattering chain of events while they try to prevent greater catastrophe.

Moderator: HoneyDog

HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Re: Chapter 3: Hey! Mr. Trumpet Man

Post by HoneyDog »

Zeppo,Oh, no problem. Irrational anger is fine and we can go with that. It's going to bring out the occupants of the building though...
Zeppo
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 6 years 9 months

Post by Zeppo »

Spoiler:
OOC,
Cheers, DM. No worries I'm sure Balzac can handle them =)
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 14 years 4 months

Post by andyw666 »

Luck,65% and Balzac rolls... [dice]0[/dice]
Medicine,87% and Balzac rolls... [dice]1[/dice]
OOC:   If it matters, that's a critical success for Medicine.  
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

The horrific sight of the Joey being cut to pieces by bullets - murdered not once, but twice, right in front of their eyes, has been too much for some of the companions. Alice faints, and while Henry and Isadora try to aid her, they tremble with fear.

Balzac could not bring himself to witness the event, and thus has kept a hold on his sanity. He opens his eyes now to take stock of what has happened.
Balzac,[b]Balzac[/b] has enough experience of combat trauma to see from just a quick glance at [b]Turner[/b] that the event has broken his mind.
For Ron, the sight is too much, arousing in him an irrational anger which he is forced to give vent to. His shouts of outrage shock the three gangsters inside the room.

“What the hell…?” says the Boss. He pulls his gun from his waistband and turns around. The other unnamed man follows suit.

Little Jimmy, however, has clearly also been deeply affected by the murder. Perhaps it is the gruesome way in which he killed his friend, or the sight of his reanimated corpse to begin with. Hearing Ron’s shouts, he clasps the crucifix hanging around his neck.

“It’s judgement!” he shouts. “Judgement on us!” His eyes are wide, and almost starting from his head. His lips are bared in an anguished grimace.

“What the fuck are you talking about, Jimmy?” says the other man, who also looks to be in a state of shock.

“The devil brought him back. To punish us!” Jimmy takes his own gun from his waistband and begins to wave it wildly.

“Get a hold of yourself, goddamit” growls the Boss, who is sweating profusely.

Turner, still tied to his chair, begins to giggle.
OOC,Most of the luck rolls suceeded; you'll see the significance of that later. Don't forget that even if you passed the SAN roll, you still lose 1 point.
innsmouth
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 10 months

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

"I've got to get Aluce out of here!"

Henry carries Alice back towards the car ...
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Balzac sighs. "There is no saving Turner. Let's get out of here while we can!" He helps move Alice.

"Ron, come on! This is not our battle."
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 4 months

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael

Isadora helps carry Alice as quick as possible to the cab.
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Mr. Handy,Alice will have passed out for 1d10+4 combat rounds: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/561841]Temp SAn loss duration[/url]: [u]1d10[/u] [b]7[/b]+4=11. As everyone is leaving, shall we say about an hour of game time?
Zeppo,Ron will have his rage fit for 1d10+4 combat rounds: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/561842]Temp SAN loss duration[/url]: [u]1d10[/u] [b]5[/b] + 4 = 9. We've had about one round already, so Ron will continue to be enraged for some time. You can play it however you want, however you think Ron would probably act in such an extraordinary situation.
Zeppo
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Zeppo »

Ron grabs Balzac by the shirt.
"Don't go soft on me now," he growls
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,11 combat rounds would probably only be a few minutes, though there's no reason the temporary insanity couldn't last longer if you wish.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Mr. Handy,I was just thinking as Alice is likely to be driven away in the taxi. But she can come to on the way to the next destination. I'll leave it up to however you'd like to play it.
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Balzac looks frustrated. "Don't be a fool Ron! The trumpet man's mind is broken, we cannot save him. And those gangsters have bigger guns. We cannot win here and dying would be stupid."

Irritated, Balzac tears free, losing buttons if need be, and continues helping carry Alice. He keeps looking over his shoulder to see if said gangsters have appeared.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Ron,Inside the room, [b]Little Jimmy[/b] is still ranting about judgement. [color=#408000]“We bin judged, see? It’s Judgement Day. The dead are coming back to us.”[/color] The [b]other goon[/b] grabs him in an attempt to calm him down, seizing his wrist. As the two struggle, [b]Jimmy’s[/b] gun goes off and the man collapses to the ground. [color=#BF4000][b]“Jimmy!”[/b][/color] bellows the [b]Boss[/b], his face livid. [b]Jimmy[/b] stands still, foolishly staring at his outstretched hands, one of which holds his smoking gun. [b]Turner[/b] laughs in delight, but it is the laugh of a demented man. He raises his horn and starts to play.
Zeppo
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Zeppo »

Ron holds is calloused palm out.
"Let's have your pistol then, Balzac"
OOC:   Keeper, let me know when the temporary insanity is over please!  
innsmouth
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 10 months

Post by innsmouth »

Henry Glynn

Henry looks over his shoulder while helping Alice's limp form into the cab.

"Get in the damn car Ronald!"
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Balzac thrusts the little handgun into Ron's hand then continues helping lug Alice.

"Snap out of it Ron, this is not our war. If you go in there, I will not be following you."
Handgun,Colt 38 revolver with 5 rounds loaded, FYI.
Zeppo
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Zeppo »

OOC:   DM, can I hear any more that is going on inside?  
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Zeppo,I'll let you know when it's over, but there's about 7 rounds left, so he's still crazy for a while.
Henry & Isadora,Luckily, [b]Benny[/b] is still there with his cab, although his is frantic with worry. [color=#40BF00] “What the hell is happening!”[/color] he shouts. [color=#40BF00]“I heard a machine-gun! Jesus Christ!”[/color] Seeing [b]Alice’s[/b] limp form, he says [color=#40BF00]“Is she hit? Get her inside quick!”[/color]
Balzac & Ron,Inside the room, the undead form of the third goon is now grappling with [b]Jimmy,[/b] who is screaming incoherently. [color=#BF8000]“The hell with this!”[/color] shouts the [b]Boss[/b]. He runs out the door, towards the garage area, away from where [b]Ron[/b] and [b]Balzac[/b] are watching. [b]Turner[/b] has stopped playing. While the others are preoccupied, he tips his chair over and manages to loose himself from his bonds. He then runs out of the front of the shop, clutching his trumpet, laughing maniacally.
Zeppo
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Zeppo »

Spoiler:
DM,
Is there a half-decent chance to take a shot at the boss from where Ron is?
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,The Boss left the room, only Little Jimmy and the undead goon are left.

Return to “Dead Man Stomp”