IC: Ch 6: We're Safe Now, Right

The headline in the newspaper reads 'Huge Hounds Haunt Hockomock'. The police have closed the case as only being coyotes and a crazy farmer. But you know better when it comes to stories that don't seem quite right. Where do these black hounds come from, what do they want (besides their nightly chicken dinner)? And how do you stop them?

Moderator: BenTheRat

BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

IC: Ch 6: We're Safe Now, Right

Post by BenTheRat »

You wake up in the field, the horror of that place still in your minds. The knowledge no one should know, still swirling in your brains.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Re: IC: Ch 6: We're Safe Now, Right

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,I'm guessing Maria and Bret are too far gone to make any further contribution?
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 7 months

Post by HelplessBystander »

"Is everyone okay?" Tobias said, trying to distract himself with literally anything else except focusing on the dreaded things he saw.
Last edited by HelplessBystander on Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Call of Cthulhu Campaigns:
Dead Men Walking (Looking for new members)
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Post by Rooter »

Spoiler:
SAN loss from previous[dice]0[/dice]
Remaining SAN 54

Bret doesn't know what to think. Three people are gone and Miss Adams isn't looking too well.
OOC:   There was a mention of 1 for 1 Cthulhu Mythos points, if that includes the second SAN loss too then I make it 18 gained for Bret. Can Maria do anything with 96??  
Last edited by Rooter on Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

"Bret, how are you feeling right now?" Tobias enquired.
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

OOC:   Wow that was rough. Lots of bad rolling. At least 3 of you survived, well somewhat.

Maria, You dropped to 0 Sanity, you will be spending the rest of your life in an institution. You may role-play this however you like. You know about everything Cthulhu Mythos related, well 96% of it. Lots of rising from the sea, we are all going to die, Nylarthotop walks among us, etc...

Bret, you picked up 18 Cthulhu Mythos points, however you lost more than 20% of your sanity in 1 day, so you go insane, but it is treatable, with several months of PsychoAnalysis.
Bret,You are suffering from massive Explosive Rage. Almost anything will set you off, and once you go off, there is very little you won't do, including killing others.
Tobias, you picked up 17 Cthulhu Mythos points, if my math and memory is correct, and also lost more than 20%. Same as Bret, see above about treatment.
Tobias,You suffer from a severe split personality. During the day you are Tobias, but at night, you become very mentally deranged individual. This will take a couple months to play out. Starting with small animals, then larger animals and finally people. Lots of disections, while they are still alive. Think Fight Club but even more severe.

Joe looks around, "Is everyone alright? What the hell, can all that be true? How are we supposed to live like this?"
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Post by HoneyDog »

Maria is catatonic with shock, her mind completely shut down and wiped clean by the sight of Daoloth. Her eyes stare sightlessly into the distance.
OOC:   Poor Maria. Thanks for the game Ben! It was fun. I hope you run some more from your new book. Hopefully no-one will ever mess around in the swamp again, but we know that won't be the case...  
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

OOC:   Hey if you guys want to call it here we can. There isn't much left to do. You would get some Sanity awards, but otherwise just head back to town. Get Maria committed and try to get help for yourselves before you are arrested.

I know the game was a bit rough at the end with the bad rolls.
There was a way to avoid Daoloth, but you missed the opportunity.

I'd love some feedback. This was a playtest run, so feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on it.  
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"How do I feel? How do you think I feel you stupid son of a bitch?" Bret yells, jumping to his feet. "I never should have asked questions. Never should have..." He trails off in a helpless rage then turns on his heel and storms away from the swamp without looking back. Tomorrow he'll make an appointment with a shrink but right now there is only that vast and horrifying truth of the dread nature of reality, once learned, never forgotten.
OOC:   Thanks for the game, Ben. I enjoyed it. I guess we should have been quicker off the mark in the final showdown. Even starting with 80 Sanity wasn't enough for some of us to escape unscathed. If you're looking for critical feedback I don't have a whole lot to offer. Maybe some use of the 7th ed. difficulty variations on rolls if this is specifically intended to be a 7th scenario?  
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

"Alright, just calm down." After a minor argument with Bret, Tobias attempted to make belated amends. His head hurts, felt as though it was splitting in half. His breath became shallow and unstable. He knew he should head off somewhere and get himself checked in; Arkham Asylum sounded great. He needed to go and submit his paper anyways, he's sure that Arkham Asylum will treat him well... "I'm going get Miss Adams checked in, along with me, I suppose. Somethin' not quite with me, I feel like my head's gonna split inta two. Maybe a quick trip down the loony bin will do me a good fix, eh? I don't know whether I'm even in a fit enough case to finish my research paper. I suppose I'll have to ask a friend of mine to help me finish it."
OOC:   Yeah, everything's pretty great. Maybe you might want to adjust the difficulty level a bit to make the scenario more playable.  
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

OOC:   Yea this one was kind of a walk down insanity lane.

Maybe it was tougher online, but when I played it live it played out about the same way. of the 7 investigators, 4 made it out.
But if you figure out the monks are traveling backwards in time to you, and can get an amulet in the 2nd visit, you can get out before Daoloth shows up.

When I ran it live I did 3 mods, the first I really thought some people would die, but good dice rolling and they all made it out barely. Then this one 2nd and they lost 3. Then the last one they lost 1. They liked this the best because it was so different than other CoC adventures. And they had been playing for 20+ years.  
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

OOC:   Yeah, this has been a blast. Wanna wrap it up?  
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

Lets call it a wrap.

If you are interested in playing this character again, you gain the following awards:

1d10+2 for surviving
1d6 for not attacking the monks

If you used any Luck, you gain 1d6 back.

Also roll for any successful skills you used.

Thanks so much for playing guys, I enjoyed it.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

Oh yeah. Will definitely be using Tobias again at some point. Heck, he even become some sorta masked vigilante like a deranged batman as he prowl the streets of Arkham...or something. Anyways, great scenario. Will look to the release of your book.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,I think the fact that it was online was a factor. If we'd been sitting around a table, talking in real time, we could have had a lot of back and forth and figured out what was going on sooner. However, when we're online and can only post once a day (if that; I was unable to post during much of the finale due to being busy at conventions and traveling), it's much harder to work together to solve it, as the story moves forward before we have a chance to really compare notes. Some of the ideas I had were pointing in the right direction, but we couldn't put all the pieces together until it was too late.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

Agreed. Had similar notions about communication via PbP, but that’s something essential to the entire point PbP. Everyone got their own downtime, and experience the scenario through a delayed response.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

OOC:   Bret Parker:

SAN rewards:[dice]0[/dice][dice]1[/dice]
Skill increases:
Library Use 70[dice]2[/dice]
Spot Hidden 50[dice]3[/dice]
[dice]6[/dice]
Listen 50[dice]4[/dice]
Photography 40[dice]5[/dice]

Spot Hidden increased to 51

Sanity increased to 61  
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

After thinking about it, I plan to make a small change. The way its written after you are in the classroom talking, and you get the key the professor walks in, and bolts out starting the chase scene and escalating to the finale. Which is where the major events occur and people die/go insane.

The problem I had with the live version is the players wanted to surround the building and block all the exits before they went into the building. I kind of had to push things along to get the professor out the door before they were able to get around to the back of the building.
I think I thought the same thing with you and so pushed the story along.

Instead I think a better play is to not even have the professor in the building. He has run home to get some notes. Meanwhile, this gives you a better chance to study his notes on the chalkboard and engage with the students on everything they know about Daoloth.
This will give the players a better understanding of what is happening to them when they actually get to his realm.

If the players surround the building they will see him pull up in his car and off to the car chases. If they are all in the classroom, he will walk in, then immediately flee.

What do you think of that?
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

oh someone pointed out the indian curse hole felt out of place. that was just a random encounter you can have while tromping around the swamp. There are 20 random encounters, I just rolled that one for you.

I used the same one in the live play through with similar results, though they did almost lose their guy there. They travelled down to the Indian reservation to get more info on them and how they might remove the curse to free them. They figured out it was a red herring and moved back to tracking the hound.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,The change sounds like a good idea. There should be some kind of hint. Idea rolls for a hint might help too, if the players don't get it.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep

Return to “Hockomock Hounds”