IC: Ch 5: Where the Hell are we?

The headline in the newspaper reads 'Huge Hounds Haunt Hockomock'. The police have closed the case as only being coyotes and a crazy farmer. But you know better when it comes to stories that don't seem quite right. Where do these black hounds come from, what do they want (besides their nightly chicken dinner)? And how do you stop them?

Moderator: BenTheRat

BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Re: IC: Ch 5: Where the Hell are we?

Post by BenTheRat »

The images of 6 men fade away, and you feel a sense of impending dread.

You hear another pop, like a rubber band snapping. You no longer see your other investigators.
Tobias,you're sitting at a table, a small child is crying in the background. A woman you recognize as your mother is also crying. You feel a pain on your face, as if someone had hit you. Your nose was bloody as was your lip. Your pants were torn and scuffed. It was the day you had gotten into the scrap, though you can't remember the boys name now, you do remember he had been bullying you. Your father stood in front of you. "What is this?" he asked. "Suspended for fighting!! How many times do we have to go over this? You have to do better, Tobias. The family is counting on you." You remember the day clearly now, the disappointment on your fathers face, the yelling, then a quick smack across the face. Your mother and younger sister crying, the feeling of failure, and uselessness. OOC: Take a Sanity 1/1d6 check
Maria,You are standing back in the swamp, but you are no longer in your swamp gear, you are in your favorite play dress when you were 11 years old. It was dark, you remember coming into the swamp on a dare, but you'd gotten turned around. You spin around but all your friends have run off, you are alone. The sounds of the animals and insects die down, and a glowing light is up ahead of you. You follow it, despite feeling you are heading deeper into the swamp. You've heard stories of children going into the swamp and never coming out, could this be you. Poor Maria Adamovic lost in the swamp, never found. You continue to chase the small light but something in the trees to your left breaks your concentration. It was large, your skin turns pale white, something in the back of your mind nags at you. That day you thought you saw something, but your mind had always blocked it out. Here you were reliving that scene. You wanted to run to scream, but you were just a spectator here, the choices you made were long sense determined, as if fate would foretell this outcome. The beast stepped out from behind the tree. It was large, hairy and when it stood on its hind legs was easily over ten feet tall. The smell was overpowering, you remember the smell the most. The smell of rotten onions and fish. You realized you were screaming before you even heard the sound. Your feet were running as fast as they could take you. The beast right on your trail... OOC: Take a Sanity 1/1d6 check
Bret,You're sitting at your desk at the Bridgewater weekly, it was a calm day. You look down at the headlines in the paper in your hand. "[i]Bridgewater Bigfoot[/i]" it read. You were pretty proud of it. You wish the pictures had been less fuzzy, but you knew it was there and real. Finally, you would get the respect you deserved, perhaps even an award. You smiled as you read through what you wrote, then the scene swirled, you were at dinner that night, waiting at the restaurant for her to show. She never really supported your work at the weekly. She always wanted you to do real "journalism", you were sure this story would change her mind. You feel the ring in your pocket, tonight you would get the courage to ask her. As she came in, you could see the anger on her face. She storms over to the table and you barely have a chance to stand when she hurls a copy of the weekly at you. "What the hell Bret? Journalism, is that so hard? What is it with your fascination with the swamp? Bigfoot, are you serious? That's it, we are done. I'm not going to be the laughing stock of the town because of you." She turns and storms out. You couldn't even get a word in. Then you hear someone in the crowd whisper, "Maybe he should go date bigfoot." and some small laughter. As you spin around you realize everyone in the restaurant is looking at you. "It's real I tell you." you say the words to the crowd and quickly realize the crowd has turned on you. "Yea right buddy," and more laughter, more insults and disparages were thrown your way, and soon the whole restaurant crowd was laughing at you. What were you thinking? What was wrong with these people? OOC: Take a Sanity 1/1d6 check
Eddie,you are standing in a cave, the familiar feel of the shotgun in your hand, the Star Spawn looming above you only feet away. Your friend, Norman, distracting the beast while Alyssa ran, a look of terror and confusion on her face. You fire but can't seem to stop the beast from grabbing Norman with its tentacles. The screams echo in your ears as the monstrosity almost played with poor Norman. As the tentacles pulled, one of Norman's arms could no longer hold against the sheer physical force and was ripped from his body. The screams shifted from terror, to pain. You cannot tear your eyes away as the tentacle around Norman's waist continued to squeeze around his body until the screaming stopped and Normans body exploded into a hundred pieces into the mouth of the beast... OOC: Please take a Sanity 1/1d6 check.
Dr. Porter,Not sure if you are still following, so won't do a big write up like the others. you are in a different time. A horrible event that changed your life forever. OOC: Take a Sanity 1/1d6 check.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 7 months

Post by HelplessBystander »

SAN 63,[dice]0[/dice] SAN LOST: [dice]1[/dice] Current SAN 60
Tears streamed down his eyes as he remembered the moment. Tobias sobbed uncontrollably, and found that he couldn't respond. He remembered feeling like this: helpless, as though a bystander in his own life. An outcast in his own family and stranger to be picked upon by the kids at school.

"It's not my fault...I swear it, mam. 'Sah not my fault—" He said, chocking in fits as he tried to defend his actions to his mother. Ignoring his father.

He shouldn't have done that, but then again, he remembered the odd rush of adrenaline as he had beaten up the bully. Channeling the feelings he had felt then, tried to stand up for himself. Tobias attempt to look stoic, but failed. He was too young to maintain a poker face. Signs of wear, stress, and sadness etched itself into his face.
Last edited by HelplessBystander on Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Call of Cthulhu Campaigns:
Dead Men Walking (Looking for new members)
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Post by HoneyDog »

Maria
SAN,SAN 43: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/571542]SAN[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]49[/b] [url=http://orokos.com/roll/571543]SAN loss[/url]: [u]1d6[/u] [b]5[/b] Now at 38 Idea 90: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/571544]Idea[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]71[/b] Maria now has Temporary Insanity - please let me know what happens next.
Mad with panic and fear, and screaming at the top of her lungs,Maria runs blindly through the swamp, her only thought being to get away from the creature behind her.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

While Eddie knows that what he is seeing isn't actually happening now, the fact that it did happen gets to him.
OOC,Sanity roll (current level 20) for the flashback: [dice]0[/dice] Sanity loss: [dice]1[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Post by Rooter »

Spoiler:
SAN 73[dice]0[/dice]
Angry and embarrassed, Bret turns to flee from the mocking laughter even while conscious that what he's seeing is just a vision of the dead past.
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

Maria,you are frozen in fear, you may not move, but are aware of everything around you.
As you hear another pop, you are all back into the realm the chasm not far from you, the scratching noise is at the top, ready to reveal itself, you hear a noise behind you, and you see the 6 men in robes, all of them with a pendant around their necks.

"Welcome to the realm between dimensions, where are great lord Daoloth lives."
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Tired of being toyed with, Bret makes a grab for one of the pendants.
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

Tobias does the same.
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

Tobias and Bret,make a % roll for me.
They seemed surprised by your quick assault, and don't seem to do much besides step back.

"We will gladly give you one, but only one."
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

[dice]0[/dice]

Tobias grunted and looked at them with a fierce expression. "And why is that? Surely we'll need the pendants to escape this damned place. We had enough of being toyed with."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Five of those pendants we've seen before," says Eddie, "but one of them is new. I think we should take the new one." He examines the pendants to see which of them was not one of the original five.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

Tobias is uncertain of the effects of the pendant and how to get out of this realm.
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

"No, all are the same, how have you seen these as we only give to those that travel here?" They reply.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

"Yeah well, maybe we would've acted differently if you guys, oh I don't know, bothered to explain things!" Tobias said angrily. "What was that just then? Why did we see that?"
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice]
"Maybe these aren't the same guys we saw before," Bret suggests.
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

Tobias sighed. "So, are you guys the same bunch of people that we saw before?"
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

"We are the only one's here. Daoloth allows it to prepare the chosen for him. This is the realm between dimensions, as such different dimensions of sight, sound, and time are always trying to push there way into our realm." One of the members removes his amulet and offers it. He very much looks like the one that did not have one in your earlier visit, but you cannot be sure. "Whoever has the key can open the doorway to leave. But you must hurry, he is here."

The professor looks nervous, "On second thought, I'm ready to go home."

Joe looks a little wide eyed, "I sure as hell aint going to be no chosen."
Maria,you are now free to act.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"Miss Adams has the key," Bret says, taking the amulet and passing it to Maria.
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

Tobias agrees. The amulet can be given to Miss Adams.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Eddie nods, anxious to get out of here.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death