Page 1 of 1

IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:06 pm
by BenTheRat
Date/Time: September 10th: 10 AM

You return to Mr. Jenkins' farm to pick up the trail. As you arrive, the farmer is on the side of his porch working on a chicken pen.

Re: IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:56 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Good morning, Mr. Jenkins," says Eddie with a wave. "We're going to try to track down that hound. Would you like to come with us?"

Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:22 pm
by BenTheRat
"Morning, gents, ma-am. Good luck tracking. I've got work to do around here. Be careful out there," the farmer says.

Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:17 am
by HelplessBystander
"Good Mornin', Mr. Jenkins. Thanks for the advice, we'll keep in mind to be careful out in the swamp." Tobias said cheerfully, making sure that he left good impression on the farmer.

Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:29 am
by Rooter

"Howdy," Bret greets the farmer. "Do you happen to know of any native Indian folks living hereabouts?" To the others under his breath he says, "Do you guys think we should maybe try to buy one of his chickens to use as bait since we know the hound has a taste for them?"

Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:03 am
by HelplessBystander
"Sounds Iike an idea. But how frequently will 'the Hound' make the trip? From what I gathered, it had hunted just last night, the chances of luring 'it' out with just chicken is slim. We would need more than that in order to lure the Hounds out." Tobias analysed reasonably.

Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:50 pm
by CrackheadC.
Dr. Porter steps out of his car wearing outdoorsy clothing that is both ill-fitting and out of style - perhaps these were clothes from when the man was younger and more fit. He digs through his trunk for his old hunting rifle before walking over to the rest of the group, careful to leave the gun unloaded.

"A bait chicken wouldn't be a bad idea - I'm sure Mr. Jenkins would rather get some money out of them rather than have them all devoured by the hounds for free. As for the frequency of its hunts - well most things eat everyday, so unless this thing is planning on hibernating, I'm betting it will want to eat again today." The doctor says.

Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:05 pm
by HelplessBystander
Tobias said with a grimace. "There's little description of its habits, and assumptions could be deadly. We 'assume' creatures such as these are going to be benign and wouldn't attack us, yet there's no evidence to prove this point either. We do not know enough to make that assumption. We should split up into two groups: the first group can go and play the waiting game with the Hounds while the second group can trek into the Swamp to go search for it. How's that?" It was obvious that he doesn't like the prospect of entering the Swamp; he felt a forebording air exuding from it. He doesn't trust the Hounds to be benign and are expecting the worst-case scenario and bought his trusty hunting knife in his pocket. Not that it'll stand a chance against anything larger than a grown man, but it comforts Tobias that at least he have a weapon that he'll know how to use.

Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:38 pm
by HoneyDog
Maria sighs. "If I'm not mistaken, the hound comes at night" she says patiently. "So if you want to lure him, you might as well stay here, as he comes here regularly anyway".

Talking to Eddie and Doctor Porter, she asks, "Did you get a sense of where the cheering was coming from in relation to our current location? I've been in the swamp as a child. It can be easy to lose your sense of direction, so we should perhaps fix our bearings using the farm."

She bats her eyelids, so as not to appear too intelligent.

Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:42 pm
by BenTheRat
Eddie and Dr Porter,you both agree the cheering came from the North-west. Though the hound had run more to the West when he ran off.
Mr. Jenkins smiles at the prospect of selling a chicken, "Yea I'll sell you one for $2 if you want one. Alive or dead, just let me know which way you want it."

The sun is up and the chill has disappated into a warm muggy morning. You see clouds moving in from the West.
OOC,if anyone has any skill chance of telling weather, let me know and roll.

Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:59 pm
by Rooter

"Hey, who said anything about waiting until night?" Bret replies to Miss Adams. "You think the hound is just going to roll over for us to tickle its belly if we find it? I figure the chicken might come in handy and if it doesn't then I'll just roast it for dinner tonight." He hands over the two bucks for a dead chicken.

Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:47 am
by Mr. Handy

"The cheering came from the northwest," says Eddie, "though the hound fled to the west. It must have turned north at some point." He looks around to see if he can see any tracks.
OOC,Track roll (20% skill) to find the hound's tracks: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:58 am
by HelplessBystander
"My good sir, do you need any help with that?" Tobias said politely to Eddie, as he attempted to help him find any Hound-related tracks that are hidden from plain sight.
Spot Hidden 50%,[dice]0[/dice]

OOC:   My one true nemesis: the dice. Hey Wruter, do you think Bret will join in on the hunt for Hound tracks and do a 'Spot Hidden' roll?  

Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:34 am
by Rooter

Bret looks around following the others' gazes but isn't exactly sure what they're looking for.
OOC:   Spot Hidden 50%[dice]0[/dice]  

Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:43 am
by HelplessBystander
OOC:   Alright, so no one saw anything suspicious. Damn.  
Tobias pressed his body close to the ground and scoured every inch of it closely, searching for even the tiniest sign of abnormality before ultimately giving up as he could see no signs of abnormality there.
Track 10%,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:50 am
by HoneyDog
Maria looks around for any signs too, but she is not used to this sort of thing.
Spot Hidden,Spot Hidden 25: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/549747]Spot Hidden[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]42[/b]

Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:45 pm
by BenTheRat
You go out past the fence and search around for the tracks or anything that would indicate the hound was there and come up empty.

You look back at the farm and see the farmer looking at you.
OOC:   You have a couple options here, with the string of bad luck rolls. You can give up and devise a new plan.
You can head into the swamp in a west direction, the way you think the hound went.
You can head into the swamp in a north west direction, the way you think the cheering came from.  

Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:38 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC:   Doctor Porter still owes us a roll. Maybe he will save us.  

Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:05 am
by HelplessBystander
OOC:   Doctor Porterrrrrrr.....wooooo.... *que spooky noise*  

Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:23 pm
by BenTheRat
OOC:   Just to keep the game moving. Doc looks around [dice]0[/dice]  
Dr. Porter had walked a few feet further ahead of the rest of you towards the west, "Is that a chicken feather up ahead?" There in the high grass he walks further up ahead and plucks a white feather out of the grass. "I don't know how old this is, but it's definetely a chicken feather."

Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:37 pm
by HoneyDog
"This must be the trail!" exclaims Maria. "Well spotted Doctor!"

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:26 am
by HelplessBystander
"It might the trail, but we don't know from how long ago this was. Going down that path might not be the best course of action without a map and a good idea of how deep into the Swamp it'll take us." Tobias said, attempting to be the voice of reason.

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:51 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, well done," says Eddie. "There will be more feathers dropped along the way, no doubt. All we have to do is follow them."

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:32 am
by HoneyDog
Maria hopes to reassure Tobias.

"We have a compass, and if we mark out trail as we go, it should prevent us from getting lost. If the path becomes impassable, we can reconsider our options"

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:32 am
by HelplessBystander
Tobias shrugged. "I'm afraid I must play the devil's advocate and voice doubt to your plans. How are we going to mark out our trails? Animals might destroy any attempt to do so if we tried using marking and signs that could be easily removed, right? Furthermore, I read somewhere that compasses won't work in certain situations and I think we need to check whether our compass are able to find true north and hydrate ourselves before we venture too far in." He said, pointing out a few details in the plan that didn't quite sit well with him to Maria before turning to face Eddie to shower him with skepticism as well. "Besides, are we going to find these trail of chicken feathers easily? Chicken feathers aren't known for easily recognisable nor would it be easy to distinguish them from all the other miscellaneous rocks and leaves littering the undergrowth, Mr. Donovan. To further elaborate my point, the chicken feathers took us nearly five or so attempts before finding this aged feather; are we going to repeat this process every five minutes or so whilst trekking? I sure hope not."

Tobias scowled at the morning sun, it was already making him slightly sweaty; he wasn't much of a morning person anyways. Entering the swamp will be slightly taxing for him and his paranoia is setting in slightly.

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:56 am
by HoneyDog
Maria rubs her temples, she thinks she’s getting a headache.

“Look” she says. “I’m going, and I’ll take my chances. As I said before, you don’t have to come. In fact you might feel more comfortable back at the library.”

She moves ahead, looking for more feathers.

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:16 am
by HelplessBystander
Tobias stared at the woman with some annoyance beginning to show on his face. "Look here, lady. I had just bought a few hard-earned dollars' worth of hiking clothin' and I've got a paper to write about the happenin's inside the swamp. I'm just saying that Accidents happen in swamps, some good friends of mine once travelled into a swamp and got lost fer two days straight with no food or water. We need to be careful in that bloody swamp." He tried to control himself; he really did, but he still ended up having a little outburst. He took deep breath and counted to five before continuing, "Look, all I'm saying is that you've got to be mad as a Cut Snake to go into this swamp with no preparation or double-checkin' of any sort. We gotta do our part to check for flaws in our plan and hope that everything turn out all right, okay?" He said towards Maria in the calmest tone he could manage at that moment, making sure to not sound like an angry idiot.

He attempted an apologetic smile to try and make up for his outburst. He didn't mean to offend, but he's pretty damned sure he did. With that in mind, he quietly retreated to the back of the group without making eye contact with Maria. His carefully maintained air of professionalism and composure no longer there as his carefully hidden Australian accent played up again, he knew he sound like a country hick when his Australian accent shows its tail; that's why he generally try his best to not sound like a foreigner...unfortunately, he still did.

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:28 am
by Rooter

"Looks like she already went, buddy." Bret says cheerfully, wondering why the farmer didn't answer his question about the Indians. "I don't think there's any chance of hiring a guide, do you? Besides, the big guy looks like he can handle anything," he adds, pointing to Eddie. "Plus, we have Dr. Porter on hand to take care of our mosquito bites for us. I'd say we're all set to go." Not wanting to miss anything, he tucks the chicken under his arm and hurries after Miss Adams, keeping an eye out for more feathers.
OOC:   Spot Hidden 50% for another feather[dice]0[/dice]  

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:35 am
by HelplessBystander
"Great, looks like we are all set. Do you think we can convince the farmer to guide us? I mean, he is a resident of the area. He probably knows more about this place than we do." Tobias said with a weaker tone. Attempting to find True North on his compass and trying plot out a rough course based on the general directions they're heading in on a badly-drawn map.

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:09 am
by HoneyDog
Maria cuts a large 'X' on the trunk of an adjacent tree with her pocketknife.

"I'll do this as we walk" she says.

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:49 pm
by HelplessBystander
Tobias furrowed his eyebrows discreetly and said nothing in response. He quickly followed suit and continued into the Swamp with the group.
Navigation 10%,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:15 pm
by BenTheRat
OOC: Bret, sorry, missed that question. he would have said that most of the indians had been moved to the reservation just to the north, but once and a while you see them poking around the swamp.

The five of you head out tredging into the swamp, some not so certain as to your course of action, others convinced this is the right call. An 'x' is carved onto a tree and off you go. There is no trail to follow per se, and you head in a general westerly direction. Tobias is having a hard time getting his compass to settle properly.

At the beginning you can still see some of the farms that tend to sprout up on the edge of the Hockomock, but within 15 minutes, even those had disappearred into the maze of trees you are going through. You are still pretty sure you could get back to the farm from where you are at. Still no trails, just tall grass. On occasion your foot would find a soggy spot and sink down, so you would bear a little to the left to avoid it. But now you fear you maynot be travelling west any longer.
OOC:   Everyone make either a track or spot hidden roll for me.  

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:43 pm
by Rooter
OOC:   Is the Spot Hidden roll I just made okay?  

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:49 pm
by BenTheRat
OOC:   thats fine wruter  

Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:26 am
by HelplessBystander
Tobias vigilantly peered into the undergrowth. He knew they were pretty damned close to being lost since they were all veering off-track from their intended direction, but he knew now may not be the time to discuss this as there's still a chance to get back on track to where they originally planned to go. Therefore, he was pretty damned sure that he's supposed to be looking for something. Thus, he continued to try and act helpful by trying to find any clues just to quickly get this over and done with.

"Aha!" He said triumphantly, as he discovered something hidden.

Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:26 am
by Mr. Handy

Eddie can't see any feathers along the route.
OOC,We should carve arrows on the trees rather than Xs, to also indicate direction. Spot Hidden roll (61% skill) in the swamp: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:44 pm
by CrackheadC.
"Smart thinking marking the way, did someone think to bring a flashlight in case it is dark before we get back?" Dr. Porter says as he keeps an eye open for more tracks.
Spot Hidden 30%,[dice]0[/dice]
OOC:   Sorry for the late reply, I went into the city the other day to meet with some friends I hadn't seen in a while -
Tied one on and you know how it goes.  

Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:24 pm
by HelplessBystander
Tobias shrugged. "Well, I probably should've; but I didn't. No flashlights. Sorry." He presented his bag that was noticeably absent of a lash light as proof. ""We do happen to have some food and temporary camping supplies like sleeping bags. We're good for a night. I guess."

OOC:   No worries. Happens to the best of us.  

Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:27 pm
by HoneyDog
Maria

"I have one" says Maria absently, concentrating on locating landmarks.
Spot Hidden,Spot Hidden 25: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/550884]Spot Hidden[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]97[/b]

Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:34 pm
by BenTheRat
Tobias and Brett,You see a break in the tall grass up ahead, could be a trail.
The sun gets higher in the sky as you hear a clock tower in the distance chimes out 12 noon. The sun is blocked out by the clouds as the last chime is heard. The smell of rain is in the air as you carve an arrow into a nearby tree. The swamp takes on a whole different look as new shadows reach across the marshy land.

Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:58 pm
by Rooter

Bret points out a break in the tall grass up ahead which could be a trail.

Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:15 pm
by HoneyDog
Maria wipes sweat from her forehead with a small towel.

"Yes!" she says. "You could be right. Let's head over there."

Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:52 pm
by BenTheRat
You tredge through the tall grass about 15 feet and sure enough a small trail leading off to the right or left. It appears to be a game trail of some sort. There are tracks on the trail, most look older, could be deer, racoon and a canine track, but they look too small for the creature you saw last night. They are deep in the dirt, so probably made the last time it rained, which has been a couple weeks. There are tracks going both directions and some just crossing the trail.

Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:38 am
by Mr. Handy

"I brought a flashlight too, as well as food and water," says Eddie. "I'm not sure which way we go from here, but I'm inclined to think we should start heading north, as we've been going west. If we're still facing west, that means we need to turn right. I don't see the creature's tracks here, though, so maybe it went straight ahead for some distance before turning."

Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:42 am
by HelplessBystander
Tobias nodded absentmindedly, he honestly knew more about Latin past participles and conjugating French verbs than navigating his way around a swamp. He was honestly just basically following the group to wherever it takes him now. Even though he found a few track, but he hardly thinks is capable enough of navigating back out again without some help. He said to Eddie, "My good sir, you seemed to have a lot of good ideas. I guess we'll follow onward under this assumption, then. Anyone up for some bread and water?" He held up a packaged loaf of bread and a large container of water. He would've much preferred holding good beer and alcohol in his hands rather than the generic container of water, but hey, water's fine too.

Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:49 pm
by BenTheRat
OOC:   So what is the plan? Right now you are all standing on the small path discussing what to do.  

Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:14 pm
by HoneyDog
Maria

"Sure Eddie, that sounds like a good plan."

Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:35 am
by Mr. Handy

"All right, let's keep going," says Eddie.

Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:19 am
by BenTheRat
OOC:   so you are crossing the trail and continuing west? Just making sure I understood that right.  

Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:24 am
by HoneyDog
OOC:   No I believe we head north now.  

Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:06 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I thought we were going to continue west a little longer, seeing as there were no tracks that could have been the hound's on that narrow trail going north and south.

Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:10 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,I misunderstood. West it is then.

Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:40 am
by HelplessBystander
"Right. So we head west, and try and pick up the Hound's trails and then we stake out the place to observe and take some pictures beforehand heading back as soon as possible. Did I get that right? I'm assuming that's the plan." Tobias said, as he tried his best to identify the proper path down and contribute to the conversation.

Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:14 am
by BenTheRat
You cross the path and back into the woods, carving another arrow onto a tree. As you hike along a light rain begins to fall.
OOC:   Everyone make a track or spot hidden check.  

Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:27 am
by HoneyDog
Maria fastens her jacket against the rain. She searches for any signs of animal passage, but sees nothing. Hopefully she'll improve by the time this thing is over.
Spot Hidden,Spot Hidden 25: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/551521]Spot Hidden[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]58[/b]

Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:51 am
by HelplessBystander
Tobias shuffled his jacket over his head in an attempt to shield himself from the rain. The rain might wash away the tracks, but he still searched vigilantly for signs.
Spot hidden 50%,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:07 am
by Mr. Handy

Eddie can't see any indications of whether or not the hound went this way.
OOC,Spot Hidden roll (61% skill): [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:35 am
by Rooter
OOC:   Spot Hidden 50%[dice]0[/dice]  
"Hey, how about this?"

Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:41 am
by HelplessBystander
"Hey Bret, what did you see? Lemme have a look." Tobias said, quickly walking to the front the group to have a look at what Bret has found. He gazed in the general direction that has captivated The Journalist's attention; hoping to find some important clue that he missed amidst the undergrowth. It certainly is...peculiar.

Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:28 pm
by BenTheRat
As you were walking along the ground was getting more and more marshy. Everyone is glad for the high boots and those with waders are glad they took the time to get them. Everyone is continually looking for anything that would indicate the hound came this way, but you haven't seen a sign since the feather back at the farm.

The rain begins to fall harder. But instead of cooling things off, they just get muggy and hot. Sweat begins to roll down your face and back.

With a sudden lurch Brett grabs Eddie just as he was about to take a step. "hey, how about this, it doesn't look right."

Everyone gathers round and sure enough the ground doesn't look right. Something just seems off about it.

Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:31 pm
by HoneyDog
"Could it be quicksand?" wonders Maria. "Maybe we should find something heavy to test it."

Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:09 am
by CrackheadC.
Dr. Porter takes a chunk of bread from Tobias when offered and blissfully stumps through the swamp after the group, paying more attention to his food than where they are going.

He stops as everyone else does and takes a long hard look at the ground, "The lady could be right, quicksand is a potential threat, or perhaps a deep bog." Brushing the last of the crumbs off his hands Dr. Porter grabs the nearest branch and gingerly pushes down on the ground where Eddie was to step.

Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:51 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thanks," says Eddie, gulping and backing away from the odd ground. "We may need to backtrack and go north at the trail."

Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:57 am
by BenTheRat
The branch sinks down into the marsh and goes well past where Eddie would have stepped. As you go to pull it out, you feel the branch tug downward in your hand.
Dr Porter,make a Dex check for me.

Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:36 am
by HelplessBystander
Tobias stopped downwards to check the properties of the swampy marsh In front of him. "The thing is, since we are in front of a quicksand-like bog. Perhaps I should ask, how did the Hound get through this area? There's obviously a safe and easy method to go through this area that we haven't found yet. Since all accounts of the Hound described it as larger than an adult male, I think it would be safe to assume that, if such a path exists, it should be wide enough for us to go through." As he said that, he scanned his surrounding and check for any alternative pathways for them to take that are both reliably safe and reasonably efficient.

Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:09 pm
by BenTheRat
As Dr. Porter is checking the depth of the swamp pit, Tobias looks around for a clear path forward.

The trees and high grass make it difficult. You spot another of the "swamp pits" and you could pass between the two pits. Of course you don't know how many more are up ahead.

Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:10 pm
by HoneyDog
Maria

"I guess we should decide. Shall we press on, or go the other way?"

Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:00 pm
by BenTheRat
OOC:   Please don't make any further actions until Dr Porter (crackheadc) responds.  

Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:51 pm
by CrackheadC.
The branch sinks in deep and seems to tug a little. "I think it might be stuck on something." Dr. Porter says with surprise.
Dex vs 40,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:42 am
by BenTheRat
The branch pulls down fast and pulls the doctor down to the ground, his hand plunged into the swamp before he is able to let go of the branch that disappeared.
Dr Porter,It was like you couldn't let go of the branch until you were flat on your chest with your arm up to your shoulder in the swamp water. As you let go of the branch finally, you feel something grab your arm. Make a strength check.

Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:54 am
by HelplessBystander
"Hey doc, need a little help?" Tobias chimed in helpfully behind Doctor Porter, offering some help as he seemed to be halfway stuck in the bog. Tobias instinctively felt that the good doctor might need some assistance escaping the treacherous quagmire.

OOC:   Can I help Porter to get out? Do I deep to make a strength check as well?  

Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:04 am
by BenTheRat
OOC:   Right now only the Doctor. And FYI, if someones name is on a spoiler button, you aren't supposed to read them.  

Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:29 am
by HelplessBystander
OOC:   Okay, cool. What do you want me to do? Retcon the post or give an in-game for why I can't help? :)  

Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:57 am
by Mr. Handy

Eddie reaches out to grab hold of Dr. Porter and pull him back.

Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:02 am
by CrackheadC.
"Something has got my arm!" Dr. Porter shouts, panicked.
Str at 40,[dice]0[/dice]
OOC:   I assume this is happening within an instant or two of Porter testing the ground, thus why you might not be able to help immediately.  

Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:12 am
by HoneyDog
Maria, eyes wide, also rushes over to help the Doctor.

Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:20 am
by HelplessBystander
Tobias wasn't able to react immediately, but he came to Dr. Porter's aid as soon as logically possible. "Mr. Porter, are you okay?"

Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:20 pm
by BenTheRat
OOC:   It is as CrackHead described. He poked the stick in and got pulled down. It takes everyone a second to realize something is wrong and react. But the doctor needs to react first, before the rest of you. I know its tough in a PBF game as different people post at different times and some are more active than others.

Now if you had previously posted I'm right behind the doctor in case something happens, then yes, I'd let you react right away, even before the doctor. But everyone else was talking about finding new trails or going back, no one was really paying attention to the doctor. In fact you were looking for another trail. I hope that makes sense.  
It looks like the doctor slips and falls, arm deep into the swamp. Then a look of concern comes over his face as he calls out for help, he grasps for a branch as he is obviously stuggling and appears to being pulled into the swamp by his arm.

Eddie, Maria and Tobias race to his aid.
Eddie Maria Tobias,make strength checks for me.
Dr Porter,make a sanity 0/1d3 check for me

Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:36 pm
by HoneyDog
Maria reaches out for the Doctor and grabs his jacket, but whatever has him is too much for her.
Strength,Strength 40: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/552059]Strength[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]50[/b]

Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:06 pm
by CrackheadC.
Sanity 55,[dice]0[/dice] [dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:20 pm
by HelplessBystander
Tobias grabbed onto Dr. Porter's other arm that with as much strength as a strong nineteen year old college student could reasonably hope to muster. Helping Maria, Bret and Eddie to rescue the doctor. He moistening his lips with some sly satisfaction as Dr. Porter flopped around gasping and flailing about like a fish on dry land. "Hey Doc, something happen down there?"
Strength 80%,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:58 am
by BenTheRat
OOC:   jumping the gun. You were not able to pull him out on your own. Awaiting Eddie's test.  

Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:10 am
by HelplessBystander
OOC:   Apologies for being overenthusiastic again; I realised my mistake. I'll edit my post after Eddie finished making his STR test. Sorry. :(  

Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:05 am
by Mr. Handy

Eddie tries to pull, but whatever is pulling back is too strong even for him.
OOC,STR roll (75% stat) to pull [b]Dr. Porter[/b] out of the mud: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:04 am
by Rooter

Jolted into action by the doctor's cry of alarm, Bret picks up a branch from the ground and holds it out to the sinking man. "Here, grab on to this!"

Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:10 am
by HelplessBystander
OOC:   Alright. Apologies again for accidentally powergaming. I hope there's no hard feelings; Bentherat, so, what happens now that Eddie made the test and Bret did his thing? Was Dr. Porter successfully rescued? I am willing to alter my post to fit the narrative since I understand that I was being too over-eager before.
ヽ( ̄д ̄;)ノ  

Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:11 pm
by BenTheRat
Despite Tobias having a good hold and pulling, Eddie and Maria weren't able to get a good grasp. The doctor is getting pulled into the swamp. Whatever, has him, is not letting go and is stronger than you. Brett holds out a limb, but not before the doctor's head goes under the swamp water. He calls out "help me," just before he takes a big gulp of air and goes down.
OOC:   90% of the doctor is still above the swamp, only his right arm and now head are under the swamp water.
Brett, by the time you found a suitable limb and got it there, his head was going under and so now he can't really see it. His arm is being pulled on by one of the other 3. 2 legs, 1 arm - 3 investigators trying to save him. I don't think he can grab it anyway. So are you doing anything else?

Eddie, Maria and Tobias, please make another strength check to attempt to pull him out. You need 2 successes or 1 crit success.

Dr. Porter, you can hold your breath for this round, starting next round you will be making con checks. If you can think of something else you want to do, please post it.  

Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:36 pm
by HoneyDog
Maria

Gasping in horror as the Doctor slips under the water, Maria again attempts to grab him, put she can’t maintain a grip on his jacket. Whatever has him is very powerful.
Strength,Strength 40: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/552345]Strength[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]76[/b]

Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:53 pm
by HelplessBystander
Tobias swore something vulgar lightly under his breath as he saw Dr. Porter sinking deeper into the quagmire. It doesn't matter how or why this happened; Tobias was determined to pave through with all the strength of a college undergraduate on the Miskatonic baseball team.
Stength 80%,[dice]0[/dice]
OOC:   Okay, I'm going to spend my Luck points here to help Dr. Porter.  

Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:48 pm
by Mr. Handy

Eddie grunts and strains, pulling for all he's worth.
OOC,STR roll (75% stat) to pull [b]Dr. Porter[/b] out of the mud: [dice]0[/dice] In that case, I'd better spend 4 Luck to succeed.

Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:05 pm
by Rooter

Scarcely able to believe this is happening Bret tosses aside the useless piece of wood and peers down at the strange quagmire as the others pull on the doctor's remaining exposed limbs, trying desperately to see what lies beneath.

Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:57 pm
by CrackheadC.
Though his first instinct is to thrash, Dr. Porter tries his best to stay still and let his friends get a good hold on him.

Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:10 pm
by BenTheRat
With the struggling the water was sloshing around stirring up the mud making it difficult to see in the water. Dr. Porter tries to stop thrashing despite being drug deeper into the marsh. Dr. Porter's head right arm and both shoulders down to his chest are into the swamp.
Dr Porter,make a normal Con check. Also make a spot hidden check
Brett,make a spot hidden check.
Everyone Else,make a strength check

Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:05 am
by CrackheadC.
rolls,Con 50 [dice]0[/dice] Spot hidden 30 [dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:11 am
by BenTheRat
Dr Porter,Nice rolling. Since you crit success your con roll, you do not need to roll next round, you auto success. You obviously have your eyes closed as well.

Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:07 am
by HelplessBystander
Strength 80%,[dice]0[/dice]
OOC:   That...was so close. *phew*  

Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:36 am
by Mr. Handy

With a surge of adrenaline, Eddie pulls even harder.
OOC,STR roll (75% stat) to pull [b]Dr. Porter[/b] out of the mud: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:51 am
by HoneyDog
Finally Maria gets a decent grip on the Doctor, and she pulls with all her strength.
Strength,Strength 40: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/552556]Strength[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]17[/b]

Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:58 am
by Rooter
Spoiler:
Spot Hidden 50%[dice]0[/dice]
Bret's eyes widen as he peers into the swamp.

Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:02 pm
by BenTheRat
The three of you renew your efforts and with a mighty pull, the doctor comes up quickly, gasping for air. Whatever he was stuck on, released him. Dr Porter is covered in a muck from his chest up as he wipes the swamp water from his eyes.
Brett,as you stare down into the water you see a face staring back, It appears to be an Indian, his hair flowing in the water. His hand reaching up, calling for you. 1st please make a Sanity 1/1d3 check. 2nd please make a POW check for me. If you pass the POW check, you may act freely, if you fail, wait for me to tell you what is going on.

Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:43 pm
by Rooter
Spoiler:
SAN 80[dice]0[/dice]POW 80[dice]1[/dice]
SAN loss
[dice]2[/dice]
"Holy moly!" Bret exclaims, staggering back in surprise. "There's an Indian in the water!"

Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:31 pm
by HelplessBystander
"Sweet dzambhala! What the hell are you on about, Journalist? That outburst came out of nowhere, you scared the Bodhicitta out of me."Tobias yelped in a half-joking manner as Bret went on about something random. Tobias was, by no means, a Buddhist, but his father was an immigrant from The Orient, which made him and his younger sister privy to understanding eastern religions from a young age.

Fearing that he might have explain what a Bodhicitta is, he quickly added, "Don't mind me. It's nothing important. But, more importantly, what's going on, Bret?" He said with a somewhat serious expression towards Bret, something tells him that the fear and surprise on Bret's face is genuine. Hopefully, it's nothing important.

Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:34 pm
by HoneyDog
Maria staggers back, exhausted with the effort of rescuing Porter, but full of relief. Her hands are shaking so badly, she barely registers Bret's incredible remark. She looks at him in amazement, but he seems deadly serious, almost in shock.

Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:25 pm
by Mr. Handy

"In the water?" says Eddie, looking around. "Did he drown there, or is he standing up or something?"

Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:13 am
by Rooter

"He's floating under there reaching up and calling," Bret says in agitation, glancing again at the water. "See for yourself."

Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:58 am
by HelplessBystander
"Really?" Tobias said enquiringly, staring in the general direction that Bret has been staring at a few moments ago. "I see nothing suspicious hiding down in tha' swamp over there, mate. No weird Indians." He then proceeded to look at Bret with a weird expression of skeptical disbelief on his face.

Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:21 pm
by HoneyDog
Maria gingerly creeps over to the edge of the water and peers in.

Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:42 pm
by CrackheadC.
Dr. Porter coughs and wipes the swamp water off of himself. "I'd stay away from that, I didn't slip, something tried to pull me in."

Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:02 pm
by BenTheRat
Tobias,you are correct, you see nothing but water.
Maria,make a spot hidden check. If you fail you see nothing. If you pass wait for my instructions.

Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:36 am
by HoneyDog
Maria cannot see anything in the murky water. She has no doubt that there must be something down there though. She steps back again.
Spot Hidden,Spot Hidden 25: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/553044]Spot Hidden[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]71[/b]

Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:04 am
by HelplessBystander
Tobias trusted Dr. Porter's words and judged that it would be a dangerous idea to approach quagmires regardless of whether there's any weird Indians down under. He turned to Eddie, and said with an even tone "So, that do we do now? Do we continue on deeper into the Swamp or do we remain here for a few moments longer? Personally, I would advise against lingering. Something about this damned place is giving me the creepers..." He shivered for emphasis.

Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:14 am
by Mr. Handy

"I don't know how he's still alive down there," says Eddie. "We could try tossing him the end of a rope and pulling him out."

Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:35 am
by HoneyDog
“He might try to pull us in again” says Maria. “Why don’t we tie the rope to something, and he can pull himself out? He’s certainly strong enough”.

Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:32 am
by HelplessBystander
"That, sounds like a very bad idea. We don't know if whoever or whatever's down there means us harm. I suggest we leave this alone and continue our trek, since we only have a few hours' worth of daylight left."

Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:56 pm
by BenTheRat
As you are talking, the rain begins to intensify, and the sun goes down. Darkness quickly covers the woods and swamp.

Off to your right you see a small glow in the woods that stands out now that it is dark.

Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:51 pm
by Rooter

"If we stay out here any longer it'll be time for the hound's scheduled grocery trip to Mr. Jenkins' farm." Bret squints, trying to make out what the glow is coming from.

Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:02 pm
by BenTheRat
OOC:   Everyone can make a spot hidden check.  

Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:12 pm
by Rooter
Spoiler:
Spot Hidden 50%[dice]0[/dice]
The encounter with the Indian seems to have sharpened his eyesight...

Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:11 pm
by BenTheRat
Bret only,The light appears to have a small person controlling a ball of light. He is only about 3 feet tall and wearing a loin clothe. He has dark skin and black hair. He smiles and waves at you as to beckon to you. OOC: make a Sanity 0/1 test.
OOC:   I've started noticing people not putting their character names on their posts. Please do so, it makes my life so much easier. You can put it at the top, or include it in your post.  

Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:44 pm
by Rooter
Spoiler:
SAN 80[dice]0[/dice]
Bret blinks. "Uh, did you guys know there were midgets living out here?"

Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:39 pm
by Mr. Handy

"No," says Eddie, peering uselessly into the dark. "I sure can't see them. I agree with Maria, we should tie one end of the rope around a tree and toss the other to the Indian. We can't just leave him there."
OOC,Spot Hidden roll (61% skill) in the swamp: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:03 pm
by CrackheadC.
Dr. Porter peers out into the night, "Midgets you say?"
Spot Hidden 30,[dice]0[/dice]
OOC:   Ben, when you ask for name in the post, is this style acceptable or do you want the character's name as a header and the post to follow it?  

Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:32 am
by HelplessBystander
Tobias frowned as he stared at Bret with a complicated expression on his face. "If wasn't for the fact that I know for a fact that you aren't going insane, I'd have thought you are. I see no creepy Indians or weird dwarfs."

Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:59 am
by BenTheRat
OOC:   CrackheadC, yes that is just fine.  

Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:38 am
by HoneyDog
Maria also peers out into the darkness, but can't see anything. She knows something strange is going on, but is Bret's imagination starting to get the better of him?
Spot Hidden,Spot Hidden 25: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/553199]Spot Hidden[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]37[/b]

Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:48 pm
by BenTheRat
Everyone stares at the faint light up ahead, it bounces around for a bit, then goes dark. It is pitch black in the woods at this point, except for the occasional lightning to light up the woods.

Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:00 pm
by HelplessBystander
Tobias looked spooked. "What is that?"

Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:25 am
by Mr. Handy

Eddie takes out his flashlight and flicks it on so he can better see. "I've no idea," he says, taking out his rope and tying one end to a sturdy-looking tree. "I don't know how that Indian's still alive down there, but we can't just leave him. Where did you see him?"

Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:15 am
by BenTheRat
The area of concern that Dr. Porter fell into is not large, maybe 8' across.

Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:21 am
by HelplessBystander
"Hey, mister, you need help with the ropes?" Tobias volunteered in an attempt to be helpful. He knew that there's a few pieces of the puzzle that he's missing; otherwise, how else can he possibly explain the weird behaviour of others around him? Some form of survival instinct niggling at the back of his mind warns him of danger, and he decided that listening to that voice inside his head might be helpful from time to time.

Tobias secretly readied his knife hidden within his pocket, and was prepared to cut the rope as soon as possible in case anything strange popped up. With a smile on his face, he shuffled towards where Eddie was standing and pondered whether he should sabotage Eddie's attempts or to help him.

Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:32 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thanks, I think I've got this," says Eddie. He tosses the loose end of the rope into the area where Dr. Porter had been pulled into the water.

Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:53 am
by HelplessBystander
Tobias observed the boggy marsh attentively for any unexpected dangers.

Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:48 pm
by BenTheRat
Eddie throws the end of the rope into the water. At first the rope just floats at the top. As it absorbs the water, it slowly starts to sink down into the depths of the murk and muck.

You feel what could be a slight tug on the rope, as if someone is lightly pulling on the other end.

Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:11 pm
by HoneyDog
Maria watches the spot where the rope enters the water intently, her heart pounding.

Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:22 pm
by CrackheadC.
Dr. Porter will take up any extra slack on the rope or if there is none he will help brace Eddie, "Let me help, we don't want you falling in."

Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:45 pm
by Rooter

"I'm not sure if this is such a good idea," Bret mutters, peering nervously off into the surrounding darkness. After Indians and midgets he's expecting to see Bigfoot next.

Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:32 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thanks, doc," says Eddie, starting to pull on the rope. "You wouldn't be saying that if you were trapped down there," he adds to Bret.

Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:57 am
by HelplessBystander
"We need to assume the worst, otherwise, we might be attacked! The funny thing is, people tended to be a bit grouchy when they are trapped in a swamp for who-knows-how-long, eh?" Tobias said, with faux humour as he nervously eyed his surroundings. It's getting too dark around here for his tastes, and he was pretty sure that bad things happen when you are out in the wild after the sun goes down.

Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:12 am
by Rooter

"Well, call me crazy but I didn't get the impression this Indian, if that is what I saw, was trapped. More like he was trying to get us to join him..." Anxious to move on before they get stuck out here for the night Bret walks a little way ahead to scout out the land.

Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:54 am
by HelplessBystander
"Bret, don't go too far off. Whatever's in this swamp, I've got the impression that it is probably capable of killing us." Tobias warned Bret.

Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:25 pm
by BenTheRat
Eddie and Dr Porter,please make a strength check for me.

Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:36 am
by Mr. Handy

Eddie has to strain, but he is able to make some headway.
OOC,Strength roll (75% stat) to pull the Indian out of the swamp: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:55 pm
by BenTheRat
OOC:   awaiting Dr Porter. If he hasn't posted by tomorrow, I'll roll for him and move forward.  

Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:07 am
by CrackheadC.
Dr. Porter is ready for resistance this time.
Str 40,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:20 am
by BenTheRat
The rope pulls tight, and it looks like you are pulling out whatever it is, in the swamp. The rope begins to make ground as you take a step backwards.

Then suddenly the two of you fall backwards, and the frayed end of a rope pulls out of the swamp.

Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:45 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Clearly he doesn't want to get out," says Eddie. "All right, let's head back."

Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:55 pm
by BenTheRat
You look around with only Eddie's flashlight giving light in the heavy downpour. Shadows seem to be moving on their own.
OOC:   Everyone needs to make a spot hidden roll please.  

Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:25 am
by Mr. Handy

Eddie sees something in the darkness.
OOC,Spot Hidden roll (61% skill) in the swamp: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:08 am
by HelplessBystander
Tobias looked around alertly, gripping the hilt of knife harder as alertly scanned the surrounding. Something Within this Swamp is bringing out some of the paranoia within him. Oh what he wouldn't do to have a gun on him right at moment. As he attentively searched his surroundings, he spotted something.
Ooc,[url=http://orokos.com/roll/554746]Spot Hidden 50%[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]29[/b]

Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:44 am
by BenTheRat
You begin to stumble through the dark, directions are quickly lost as you slosh through the swamp that is even worse than it was before because of the rain.

At almost the same time Eddie and Tobias spot one of your carved arrows. You had strayed off your path some, but not much. As you get to the tree, thankful that you are not lost, at least not yet. A roar comes from the woods. It sounds some distance away, but you do not recognize it. Afterwards the other noises in the woods quieted down. Silence fell across the swamp. Even the rain let up suddenly so it is now only a small drizzle. A feeling of loneliness comes over you, like you are the only ones in the swamp this night.

Slowly the sounds of the insects and frogs return, and you don't feel so alone.

Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:12 am
by Mr. Handy

"Let's keep following the arrows until we get out of here," says Eddie.

Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:43 am
by HelplessBystander
"Leaving sounded like such a good idea right now..." Tobias uttered with brevity to his tone.

Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:50 pm
by BenTheRat
You follow your path of arrows, going from tree to tree, shadows jumping out at you, reaching out for you, nipping at your heels. Finally, you see the edge of the tree line and it's all you can do to not sprint out, the rain has stopped and the evening sun now hangs low on the horizon, barely visible over the top of the trees you just exited.
Spoiler:
Everyone, please make a sanity (0/1d3) check for me.

Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:31 pm
by Rooter
Spoiler:
SAN 80[dice]0[/dice]
"Well that was the most fun I've ever had," Bret says. "So what have we learned?"

Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:24 am
by HelplessBystander
Sanity 80%,[dice]0[/dice] FAILED SAN LOSS [dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:29 am
by HelplessBystander
Tobias walked out hurriedly, as he rubbed his palms together. He was nervous, and scared. There's very odd and very dangerous going on, and he's not quite sure sure whether he wants a slice of that cake. He breathed rapidly as he recalled some the things he saw; he was on the precipice of a panic attack.

Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:27 am
by HoneyDog
Maria is silent and brooding on the way back. The day’s events have confirmed for her something which she has long suspected – that the swamp contains supernatural entities, things which defy explanation. The hound, the Indian in the water, the strange lights. Now that it is confirmed for her, she knows that she can never look at the world in the same way. The thought chills her.
SAN,SAN 59: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/555185]SAN[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]100[/b] I'll assume that Maria loses 3 SAN - please let me know if there is an additional penalty. SAN 56.

Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:22 am
by Mr. Handy

"Not to go near underwater Indians," says Eddie. "Let's get back to the farm. We should be just in time for the hound to show up, and then we can track it if we can't bring it down."

Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:01 am
by BenTheRat
OOC:   everyone make a listen check.  

Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:05 am
by Mr. Handy

Eddie hears nothing unusual.
OOC,Listen roll (55% skill) at the edge of the swamp: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:15 am
by HelplessBystander
Tobias had nervously bit his fingernails as he cautiously stared at his surroundings with a sense of dread and panic rising up within him...
OOC:   Listen 40%, [dice]0[/dice]  

Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:49 am
by HoneyDog
Maria

Deep in her thoughts, Maria is not listening to anything around her.
Listen,Listen 25: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/555247]Listen[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]82[/b]

Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:43 am
by Rooter
Spoiler:
Listen 50%[dice]0[/dice]
Bret perks up. "Hey, what was that?"

Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:48 pm
by BenTheRat
Bret,you hear what sounds like yelling coming from up ahead at the farm.

Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:43 pm
by Rooter

"Sounds like someone shouting over at the farm. Maybe the hound already arrived." Bret breaks into a run, pulling the camera from his bag.
OOC:   Keeper, if I want to try taking a photo of something can I go ahead and make a Photography roll?  

Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:53 am
by Mr. Handy

Eddie also hurries, gripping his shotgun.

Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:43 pm
by BenTheRat
As you are approaching the back area of the small farm you see the farmer holding his shotgun.
The hound is in a homemade net of some kind and a young woman, probably around 19 or 20 is standing between the farmer and the black hound.

As you race faster to get there the hounds head turns toward you, its red eyes glaring into you, momentarily blinding you. You blink and the hound has somehow torn his way out of the net.
OOC:   Everyone make a sanity 1/1d6 check for me. If you fail and roll more than 5, take an INT test. If you pass that let me know. Otherwise, you are free to act.
If you were here yesterday, you must make the same check, but you cannot take more than 6 sanity between both tests. IE> if you suffered 3 points yesterday, and fail the test, you roll the d6 and if you roll 3-6, you suffer only 3 points more.  
You hear the farmer say, "Damn it girl, get the hell out of my way."
You hear her reply, "No, please don't hurt it."

Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:24 pm
by HoneyDog
Maria
SAN,SAN 56: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/555528]SAN[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]91[/b] SAN loss [url=http://orokos.com/roll/555529]SAN loss[/url]: [u]1d6[/u] [b]4[/b]
The sight of the hound freezes Maria in her tracks. She takes a step backwards, almost stumbling. It’s eyes – they seem to look through her very soul.

Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:02 pm
by CrackheadC.
Getting lost in the swamps. Being nearly drowned by what, a dead Indian? Seeing midgets and lights. It was all taking its toll on Dr. Porter as they finally made it out of the swamp.

Hearing the shouting, Dr. Porter races - as much as he can - back to the farmhouse with the others. There he found himself face to face with The Hound once more - he had girded himself best he could, but the red eyes seemed to cut through him. When the hound broke loose he readied his old rifle and shouted, "Are you okay? Should we go after it?"
Sanity Rolls,First the one I missed before: 0/1d3 [dice]0[/dice] versus 55 = Failure. [dice]1[/dice] Next for seeing the hound again. Since Porter has already lost 5 SAN from the Hound it is essentially a 1/1 SAN test so I'll drop again. Current Sanity: 53

Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:46 pm
by Rooter
Spoiler:
SAN 80[dice]0[/dice]
"So whose idea was it to go traipsing all around the swamp?" Bret wonders, readying the camera for photographic glory (even if the black and white film won't catch the red eyes.)
OOC:   Photography 40%[dice]1[/dice]  

Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:33 pm
by BenTheRat
OOC:   Bret is taking a picture, if others want to get a shot off, go ahead, it looks like the hound is about to head back into the swamp.  
Bret,sorry I didn't answer before, I would say yes. always feel free to roll a dice. At worst, I'll ignore it.
The hound is looking around, the eyes look like headlights peering around, judging all of you. The girl pleading with the farmer and then to you. "Don't shoot, he won't hurt you."

The hound begins to leap over the fence and towards the swamp woods once more.
OOC:   You have time for 1 action. Bret has used his.  

Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:53 pm
by HoneyDog
Maria

Unable to stop herself, Maria shouts out to the Hound.

"Wait! Tell us what you want!"

Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:26 am
by Mr. Handy

Eddie holds his fire. "Why don't you want it hurt?" he asks the young woman."What do you know about it?"

Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:56 pm
by CrackheadC.
Dr. Porter lowers his rifle, he wasn't that good of a shot and if The Hound kept up his pattern they would have another chance. "What do you mean him?" Porter asks.

Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:52 pm
by BenTheRat
The hound, if you can call it that, hesitates at the edge of the woods, looking back at you. The red glow from the eyes makes it difficult to see you, the creature definetely doesn't look natural. Turns and dissappears into the woods.

Your attention turns from the hound to the young woman in front of you. She is smiling still looking at where the hound dissappeared.

She turns at your question, like she isn't sure what to say. "I just don't think you should hurt it, it doesn't mean any harm."

Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:51 pm
by Rooter

"Shoot, I didn't get the photograph," Bret says. He turns to the young woman. "Howdy, I'm Bret Parker from the Bridgewater Weekly. And who might you be?"

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:40 am
by HelplessBystander
"Oh God! What the hell is that? That...thing?" Tobias gasped in horror, finally remembering to move. He had been frozen dead in his tracks the very moment he saw the figure of the hound. He trembled in fear as cold sweat dripped downwards like a waterfall. He collapsed on his knee. Panting and breathing heavily, jerking about in some hideous half-laughter as though some unspeakable dæmon possessed him.
OOC:   Sorry for not popping in yesterday. Had to go to a friend's house for dinner.
SAN 78,[dice]0[/dice] CURRENT SAN: 77

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:24 am
by BenTheRat
The girl smiled with a sweet smile, "Thank you so much for not shooting, all creatures deserve our respect." She says and turns to start walking away.

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:27 am
by Mr. Handy

"And I'm Eddie Donovan, a policeman from Boston," says Eddie. "Pleased to meet you, Miss."

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:51 am
by BenTheRat
The girl continues to walk towards the street, even picking up her pace.

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:57 am
by HoneyDog
Maria turns to the farmer.

“Do you know that girl?” she asks.

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:03 am
by HelplessBystander
"Mademoiselle, wait! Do you mind at least telling me you name?" Tobias reacted speed-walking after the woman. He was relatively suspicious of the woman's behaviour. Some instinct tells him to pursue the lady, she might know a bit more than she let on.
Charm 60%,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:47 pm
by BenTheRat
The farmer looks at you dumbfounded, "never seen her before tonight. When the net dropped down she came tearing out of the bushes."

Tobias begins to chase after the young woman who keeps walking looking back over her shoulder for a quick glance but doesn't answer you.

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:31 pm
by HoneyDog
Maria also starts after Tobias and the girl.

“She must know something” she thinks.

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:08 pm
by BenTheRat
OOC:   I really hate to do this, but I'm going out of town camping for the weekend. I'll be back Sunday afternoon and pick it up there. Please feel free to continue to post.

I'll catch up with everything Sunday and pick up things then.  

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:49 pm
by HelplessBystander
OOC:   No worries.  

Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:45 am
by Mr. Handy

Eddie also follows her.

Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:38 pm
by Rooter

"Sounds mighty suspicious." Bret heads after the others.

Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:06 pm
by BenTheRat
You are able to catch up to her as she was heading for the bus stop. She turns glaring at you, "Why are you following me?"

Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:11 pm
by HelplessBystander
"Pardon me, mademoiselle. We are following you because we believe you know a few things about the Hound that you aren't telling us. My friend over there is a journalist, and there's a police officer o'er there that's quite interested in the happenings around the Swamp as well. I'm a criminology-turned-occult-bullshit researcher from Miskatonic University. A few of my professors forced the assignments onto me. We would prefer it if you could give me some more information concerning the Hound, eh?" Tobias said charmingly, making an attempt at floundering what little French vocabulary he has in an attempt attempt to throw a piece of wool over the lady's eyes with faux sophistry.

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:09 am
by HoneyDog
Maria hopes that the girl won’t be scared off. Hopefully she might talk to another woman.

“We really don’t mean to alarm you. It’s just that we were trying to find out more about the hound. We don’t want to hurt it, we want to understand about it. I’m from here, so I’ve heard stories about the swamp all my life. I’m Maria, by the way.”

She holds out her hand to shake.

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:06 am
by HelplessBystander
Tobias coughed slightly.

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:20 am
by BenTheRat
"I - I can't say." she says looking around nervous hoping the bus will come soon. "Just tell the farmer, the hounds won't be raiding his chickens anymore. It's all going to stop."

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:38 am
by HoneyDog
Maria

“Please don’t be worried” Maria says gently. “We can help you if need it. Is there something that you’re afraid of?"
OOC,Is it worth rolling to get her to talk?

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:34 pm
by BenTheRat
"I'm not afraid of anything," she says.

You see the bus coming up the street.
OOC:   Feel free to roll for what you are trying to do, or if you want to use a skill.  

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:15 pm
by Mr. Handy

"It's not safe for you to be out here by yourself," says Eddie. "We'd like to make sure you get home safe. If there's anything you're not telling us, please share it. Don't worry if you think we won't believe you. We've seen a lot."
OOC,Fast Talk roll (36% skill) talking to the young woman: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:12 am
by HelplessBystander
Tobias studied her with scrutiny in hopes of finding something abnormal within her mannerisms...
Psychology 35%,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:06 am
by BenTheRat
"I don't think I'm in danger," she says. "I don't know anything else. Look the bus is coming. I'll be okay."
Tobias,oh yea, she is lying through her teeth, she knows a lot about what is going on, and is scared to death of you guys.

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:29 am
by HelplessBystander
Tobias looked at the woman and stared at her in the eye impassively. Her overall mannerisms indicates extreme nervousness, exaggerated hand gestures and over-eagerness to leave tells Tobias that she is lying and are in extreme distress. Her shifty eyes, a general refusal to maintain eye contact, as well as the mild quaver in her voice told him that she wasn't afraid of them. But he's not sure why. Discreetly, he approached Eddie and silently muttered, "She's lyin' through her teeth. I'm going to find an excuse to tail her later." He shifted his glance towards Maria for a moment, and signalled to her that something's up.

He turned back towards the young woman's willowy figure and once again focused on her pallid face. With as much sincerity as he could muster, he said charmingly,
"No worries, young madam, it's dangerous for a woman to be out alone this late at night. How about I accompany you back to your house? There's safety in numbers. After all, who knows what could happen in this cold, dark, dangerous night?"

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:40 am
by HoneyDog
Maria

“Yes” says Maria earnestly. “We can help you if need it.”

She tries to sound convincing, but she gets the feeling that the girl has made her mind up.
Persuade,Persuade 15: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/556964]Persuade[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]75[/b]

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:28 am
by BenTheRat
"I don't need any help, I'll tell 'em.." she stumbled and looked a bit confused for a second. "I mean, I have to go."

The bus was pulling up.

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:42 am
by HelplessBystander
Tobias checked the schedule and casually made a note of the route the bus was taking. He nodded politely at the woman and said. "Well, what a coincidence, I happened to be going this way as well."

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:16 am
by Mr. Handy

Eddie digs in his pocket and takes out enough for bus fare.

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:04 pm
by BenTheRat
The city bus pulls up and the young lady gets on showing a bus pass. You throw in the few cents and follow her on.
OOC:   Who is getting on the bus? Who is not?  

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:24 pm
by HoneyDog
Maria digs into her purse and pulls out a handful of coins. She follows the girl onto the bus, wondering how they can get her to open up about what she knows. Does she need money? She hates to hassle a stranger like this, but she wants to get answers.

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:09 pm
by Rooter

"Looks like we're all heading in the same direction." Bret hops aboard and pays the driver. Taking a seat in view of the girl he pulls out his notebook and begins making notes about what he experienced in the swamp today.

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:34 pm
by HelplessBystander
Tobias quickly paid the driver and took a seat.

Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:23 am
by BenTheRat
As everyone gets on the bus, the young woman sits in a seat so she is blocking off the seat next to her.

The bus starts up and begins driving.

Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:39 am
by Mr. Handy

Eddie also boards the bus and pays his fare. He takes a seat at the back, which allows him to see everyone on the bus.

Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:09 am
by HelplessBystander
Tobias looks out the window, trying to memorise the route the bus takes so that he could navigate to the woman’s house at a later point in time should it prove inconvenient or if he couldn’t think of a convincing lie for him to tail the woman off the bus.
OOC:   Can Tobias do a INT roll so that he knows the route the bus will take and the specific location of the woman’s house? Because I’m pretty sure he’ll fail a base-chance navigate roll, can a INT roll beforehand substitute future navigate rolls?  

Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:33 pm
by BenTheRat
Everyone takes a seat, so they can keep an eye on the girl and keep track of where you are going. The young lady has opened a small book from a bag she was carrying. She occasionally glances as you and anyone can tell she is nervous.

It's not that large a town and the bus soon pulls into Haynes State College, and up to a stop near one of the dorms. She gathers her things and gets up to leave the bus.

Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:57 am
by Mr. Handy

So she's a student here, Eddie thinks. That makes sense, given her age.

Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:35 am
by HelplessBystander
Tobias followed her off the bus.

Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:54 am
by HoneyDog
Maria

"Maybe we should hang back" she tells the remaining companions. "Let Tobias follow her and we'll follow him. We'll scare her to death if we all go together."

Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:49 am
by Rooter

Bret murmurs agreement with Miss Adams. He tries to recall if anything has come up in his local newspaper work concerning the college or student activities recently.
OOC:   INT 70[dice]0[/dice]  

Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:03 pm
by BenTheRat
She gets off the bus, looking behind her at who is following her and heads towards the large dorm building. She looks nervous and is walking quickly.
You see a couple other cars driving around campus, otherwise it is fairly empty at this time of night.
OOC:   Who is getting off the bus her besides Tobias?
Brett doesn't recall anything special other than a new semester started a couple weeks back.  

Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:49 pm
by HelplessBystander
Tobias held his knife securely in his left hand in the unlikely event that he gets attacked. As he follows the girl, he ponders on his next move and slung his backpack over his shoulder just in case he needs to use it as some sort improvised shield or if he needs to get something out of it really quickly.

Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:47 pm
by HoneyDog
Maria gets off the bus to follow Tobias.
OOC:   Perhaps we'll all disembark? I hope so.  

Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:46 am
by Mr. Handy

Eddie, at the rear of the bus, is the last one off. He takes his time if necessary to make sure the girl has already entered the building before he steps outside.

Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:05 am
by BenTheRat
You all come out of the bus and begin to follow the girl, she looks back as the bus pulls away.

She heads into the dorm building. As Tobias approaches, he sees a sign on the door. "Walden Hall - Women only beyond this point."

Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:59 am
by HelplessBystander
Tobias cursed with the ferocity of a deranged sailor. He was stopped by a sign.

Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:21 am
by Mr. Handy

"We know where she's staying," says Eddie. "We don't actually have to go inside to find out who she is - though Miss Adams could. The rest of us can try to find information about her on campus. Maybe there's a yearbook with her picture and name in it."

Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:30 am
by HelplessBystander
Tobias nodded, it seems like a reasonable idea. "Great idea, let's go and have a look around, then. Worst case scenario is that we are going to have to back tomorrow."

Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:44 am
by HoneyDog
Maria continues on into the dorm, hoping she can see where the girl is headed.

Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:01 pm
by BenTheRat
Maria, smiles at the men stuck outside the all woman's dorm, and walks right in.
Maria,You see the young woman sitting in a chair in the reception area. A desk is in the room, but no one is currently at the desk. The young woman is crying.

Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:59 pm
by HoneyDog
Maria hesitates for a moment, but then goes up to the girl.

"Would you like to tell me what's wrong?" she says gently. "Maybe I could help."

Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:04 am
by BenTheRat
"I was so afraid when the farmer captured him," she sobbed for a minute. "I just knew he was going to shoot him, I don't care how tough they are."

Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:14 am
by HelplessBystander
Tobias walked to the back of the building. He pressed his ears against the window and attempted to hear the conversation inside.
OOC:   Can Tobias roll Listen?  

Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:02 am
by BenTheRat
OOC:   feel free to roll. You don't have to ask permission to roll. Just don't assume it works because you make a roll.  

Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:36 am
by HelplessBystander
Listen 40%,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:02 pm
by BenTheRat
As you look into the window, you can see a small lobby with chairs and a desk. The desk is empty.

The girl you were chasing is sitting down in one of the chairs and you hear crying. Maria appears to be comforting her.

But you cannot make out what the girl is saying.

Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:15 pm
by HoneyDog
Maria

"Don't worry, he's safe now. But he has to stop stealing those chickens. How do you know the hounds?"

Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:14 pm
by BenTheRat
She looks up at you with a strange look on her face, "it's not a dog, its my boyfriend."

Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:19 pm
by HelplessBystander
Tobias tries to read the lips of the two talking.
INT 70%,[dice]0[/dice] [ooc]I wish to spend 3 luck to that roll succeed.[/ooc]

Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:30 pm
by BenTheRat
Tobias,Okay, you can read their lips.

Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:56 pm
by HelplessBystander
Tobias stared in shock and surprise as he 'saw' what was happening inside. "What the hell?" He muttered to himself, questioning how much farther down the rabbit hole will this case take him as he questioned the explosive nature of the girl's statement. He made a mental note to pass this information to Eddie and Co. later as he stared at the two with a renewed intensity and jotted down some notes.
OOC:   Cool. Thanks.  

Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:51 am
by HoneyDog
Maria is too shocked to say anything.

"Wha...wha..." she stammers idiotically. Taking a deep breath, she composes herself.

"Why don't you tell me about this from the beginning?" she suggests.

Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:08 pm
by BenTheRat
She looks up, still a bit shaken. "I don't think you will believe me, I hadly believe it. If I show you, you have to promise me you won't hurt any of them. But its changing him, he's not the same anymore." She starts sobbing again. "I just want Joe back."

Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:34 pm
by HoneyDog
Maria

"Oh, I believe you" Maria says sincerely. "Today we found an Indian at the bottom of the swamp. He tried to pull one of my companions in. I've no idea why he was down there, or how it was at all possible. The point is, we know Hockomock is a very strange place."

She takes the girls hands in hers.

"We really don't want to hurt the hounds. I could feel that there is nothing malevolent about them. It sounds like you need our help, and quick, so please believe me when I say in all sincerity that we will work with you to get to the bottom of this."

Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:56 pm
by Rooter

Bret looks at his watch.

Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:34 pm
by BenTheRat
The girl stood up, her demeanor completly changed, "okay, since Joe didn't get a chicken, one of the others had to. We can still catch them if we hurry. Do you have a car? My name's Lucy." She grabs her bag and heads back outside where all the men are waiting. "I can tell you what I know on the way."

Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:46 pm
by HelplessBystander
Tobias hurriedly walked back to the front door, and attempted to look like he was waiting there all along as Lucy and Maria walked out the door. He looked at the ladies with a triumphant smile, "Good evening, miss. I take it that you are more willing to cooperate with us now?"

He plans to talk to Bret in a few moments ans tell him about some of the...interesting aspects of the case. He knew that the case contained some supernatural elements when he saw the hound, but he had no idea that thins are so...complicated. The left coners of his mouth twitched almost imperceptibly.

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:14 am
by Mr. Handy

"I have a car," says Eddie, "but we'll have to take the bus back the way we came to get to it."

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:43 am
by BenTheRat
The bus came just a few minutes later. Lucy restates what she told Maria, then continued. "It all started with Professor Ingram. He found something. A pillar or something, its out in the swamp. When you rub blood on it... " She trails off looking for the right words. "Joe says its like he is wearing a costume, or armor, but you don't have full control but some. He said it's strange. The professor says he thinks its because the suits weren't designed for humans. I know it sounds crazy."

The bus pulls up and Lucy puts her head down and climbs onto the bus showing her pass.
Brett,your watch says 9:35

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:41 am
by HelplessBystander
Tobias furrowed his eyebrows as he processed the information given to him by Lucy. Before quickly getting back onto the bus and said, "Merci, mon Mademoiselle. There's been Hound sightings for about as long as a few hundred years. But all paranormal sightings started after the Indian wars within the swamp. Is there any correlation between these two events? Furthermore, I want to know, if this 'magical' pillar is capable of transforming humans into...other creatures, then what happen if non-human creatures gets their blood smudged onto the damned thing? What happens then? Who, or what, is this fantastical contraption designed for?"

"I have a great many question that I needed answered, do you mind providing me with a few of them?"

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:40 pm
by BenTheRat
"I am not the one to ask," Lucy responds. "You'll need to talk to the professor."

She continues as the bus makes its loop. Your stop is only a couple minutes away.
"One of my friends started noticing the professor going out into the swamp almost daily, so we followed him one day. We thought we had lost him, when we spotted blood. He must have tripped or something, I don't know what. But we followed the trail and it led us to the pillar."

Her eyes turned darker recoiling from the memory, "he was tracing the runes on the stone, when a bit of his blood got on it. It glowed and that's when he realized he needed blood to activate it. He cut his hand open and ..." she paused for another regaining control. "It sounded like the stone was drinking it." She had a look of disgust on her face.

Lucy continued, "Then he turned, I don't remember really, it happened so fast, one minute it was just a man, and the next this huge beast. Everyone else was amazed, but I was frieghtened, I screamed. That's how he found us, it's all my fault."
Some of the bravado you witnessed earlier seems to be fading quickly.

And the bus pulls up to your stop.

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:54 pm
by HoneyDog
Maria

"Let's get the car and then you can continue with the story" she tells Lucy.

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:19 pm
by BenTheRat
It doesn't take you long to get back to the Farmer's house. Eddie's car is still in the driveway.
OOC:   I'm going to assume everyone can fit in the car, for ease of play. Does anyone want to do anything at the farmhouse? Or say anything before we continue?  

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:26 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC:   Maria is fine to carry on, nothing to ask.  

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:09 pm
by Rooter
OOC:   Ditto for Bret.  

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:37 pm
by BenTheRat
OOC:   I am going to go ahead and move forward, if someone wanted to do something at the farm, just speak up and I will add in the delayed time.  
You pile into the car and Lucy directs you to drive north towards West Bridgeport before continuing the story.

"We all turned to run, but it was incredible, the hound pounced on us in no time, pinning me to the ground. The red eyes were like lasers. Two of the guys grabbed branches but they just broke on its back. I was terrified, I thought it was going to kill me. Then it seemed to relax and backed up, getting off of me. The hound then slowly turned back into the professor." You can still see the terror on her face, just retelling the tale.

"Quick make a left here, into the swamp. After that, the rest of the group joined up with the professor, to help him with his experiments." Lucy stopped for a second. "Park we have to go on foot from here. That's about all I know, other than they've been coming out here every night, someone turns and they go grab a chicken. Joe says they go back to the college to talk about it afterwards."

She walks quickly along a path. It doesn't take long before she slows down. "It's just right through these trees," Lucy whispers.
OOC:   Everyone make a listen check  

Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:06 pm
by HelplessBystander
OOC:   Don't worry. I'm fine with going straight to the swamp as well.  
Tobias grabbed the chicken, and went along the windy, narrow path into the sheltered swamp. He attempted to listened attentively to his surroundings as he walked as he was nervous and felt unsafe. It occurred to him to make himself as small a target as possible and sneak behind everyone else, so that he wouldn't be the one to be attacked.
Stealth 20%,[dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:47 am
by Mr. Handy

Eddie doesn't hear anything as he proceeds.
OOC,Listen roll (55% skill) on the path: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:44 am
by HoneyDog
Maria doesn't hear anything.
Listen,Listen 25: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/560117]Listen[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]27[/b]

Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:05 pm
by Rooter
Spoiler:
Listen 50%[dice]0[/dice]
Bret peers through the trees.

Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:34 pm
by BenTheRat
Tobias,you hear what sounds like chanting up ahead.
As Tobias stumbles around stepping on every dry branch within reach, he sounds like an elephant trumping through the woods. All his noise makes it impossible for anyone else to hear anything.

Lucy even turns to you, "Quiet you. They should be just up ahead."

Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:17 am
by HelplessBystander
Tobias smiled sheepishly before stepping to the back of the group. At this point, it probably doesn't matter whether he is sneaking or not. The chanting sounds is giving him the nerves.

Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:10 am
by Mr. Handy

Eddie peers ahead, trying to see them.

Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:58 am
by BenTheRat
You start to move forward and as you get close to the clearing everyone can hear the chanting. It is difficult to understand what they are saying. You are about 150 yards from them. A large obsidian pillar that is crooked, is in the center of the group. The group are all wearing robes and in a circle.
OOC:   everyone make another listen check  

Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:08 am
by HelplessBystander
Tobias strained his ears to hear what was being said.

Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:17 am
by Mr. Handy

This time Eddie can hear the chanting.
OOC,Listen roll (55% skill) near the clearing: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:22 pm
by Rooter
Spoiler:
Listen 50%[dice]0[/dice]
Bret can't make anything out.

Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:44 am
by HoneyDog
Maria still can't hear anything strange.
Listen,Listen 25: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/560990]Listen[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]96[/b]

Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:34 am
by BenTheRat
You crept forward until the woods stopped and a small clearing is ahead of you. You see the people in robes circled around the large jagged black obelisk.
Eddie,its hard to make out what they are chanting, but you think you hear, "Oh great Daoloth, open our eyes and draw..." the rest is tough to make out.
As everyone is paying attention to the cultists no one noticed the large hound that raced by you just 5-10 feet to your right and out into the clearing. A chicken feather fluttering behind it and towards you.

The hound runs up to the people in robes, it opens its mouth and a someone takes a live chicken out of its mouth and puts it into a sack. And a large cheer comes from the group. Someone else steps up and seems to be doing something with his hands, the hound shimmers and transforms into a young man of 19 to 20 years old.
OOC:   Everyone taking Sanity test 0/1d6  

Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:44 am
by HoneyDog
Maria
SAN,SAN 52: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/560990]Listen[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]96[/b] [url=http://orokos.com/roll/561008]SAN loss[/url]: [u]1d6[/u] [b]2[/b]
Hearing about it is one thing, but seeing it is another. Maria cannot believe her own eyes. What has happened to these people?

Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:22 am
by Mr. Handy

Eddie only avoids succumbing to madness because he does not quite understand what is happening.
OOC,I just noticed that I never rolled Sanity when I saw the second hound, so I'll roll for that here retroactively: Sanity roll (current level 41) for seeing the hound: [dice]0[/dice] Sanity loss for seeing the hound (maximum of 4, as I lost 2 previously): [dice]2[/dice] Sanity roll (current level 38) for seeing the transformation: [dice]1[/dice] Sanity loss for seeing the transformation: [dice]3[/dice] Idea roll (60% stat) to avoid temporary insanity - failure is good: [dice]4[/dice]

Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:52 am
by HelplessBystander
As Tobias saw the sudden, rapid transformation of the beast into a human being. Some inside of him broke. "hahahhahahaohmygodwouldyoulookatthatWhatahorrifyingthingbutisn'tthatwonderousOhhahahahhahathisisgreatIsawitIsawsomething. How unexpected. Ohisthatwhatthey'vebeendoingallthistime? SotheyarealltryingtoturnthemselvesintoHoundsandtheyarealltheHoundsandthathasalwaysbeenhappeningaroundhere? How unbelievable. Hahahaha—HAAH!!! August of 1927. How absolutely disgusting. Haha; must destroy. This is something. I'll fight it. How unbelievable..." Some countless strings of words and thoughts poured out of his mouth in seemingly random order as he held his head in horror and confused and some nauseating disgust as he witnessed the gross transformation.
OOC:   Ben, I wish to request for an insane insight.  
SAN 77,[dice]0[/dice] San loss [dice]1[/dice] Idea Roll 70% [dice]2[/dice] Temporary Insanity type = babbling, incoherent speech[dice]3[/dice]

Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:10 am
by Rooter
Spoiler:
SAN 80[dice]0[/dice]
"Holy moly..." Bret reaches for the camera then thinks better of it. "That's a pretty neat trick you guys did there. Mind explaining how it's done?"

Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:06 pm
by BenTheRat
Tobias begins to chatter incoherently, while the rest of you held your calm.

After the young man transformed, he dropped to the ground, meanwhile someone in the group looked your way and pointed. "Someone is in the woods."

The man on the ground began to convulse and appeared to be in a seizure. Someone knelt to help him, but the others began to run, someone grabbing his arms, dragging him away from the seizing man on the ground.

Lucy screamed out "JOE!!" and broke cover running towards the pillar.
Tobias,you cannot act, you just stand there spouting gibberish unless someone guides you to move. And then it will only be a walk. I will provide your insight when you come out of your Temp Insanity.

Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:48 pm
by Mr. Handy

Eddie also rushes forward to try to help Joe.

Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:02 pm
by HelplessBystander
Tobias giggled nervously and only trembled harder.
OOC:   No worries. I can wait.  

Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:43 am
by HoneyDog
Maria

"Lucy! Come back!" shouts Maria. She takes off running after her anyway.

Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:47 am
by Rooter

While the others are helping the stricken man Bret inspects the pillar curiously.

Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:49 pm
by BenTheRat
Everyone rushes forward. It takes a good 10-15 seconds before you arrive. Lucy kneels next to the convulsing man, "Oh Joe, what's wrong." As she grips his hand.

Maria and Eddie also go to help Joe on the ground. Bret sees the others are handling things and is mesmerized by the black pillar. It is about 12' tall and made of black obsedian but it isn't straight, it is roughly broken into the 3 parts. All 3 are covered in ruins, the bottom one has blood on it.
image,if you go [url=https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/newcometgames/devils-swamp-a-call-of-cthulhu-rpg-adventure]here[/url] you can see a picture of it, just scroll down to the first picture.
About this time you notice Tobias isn't with you.
Bret,the symbols seem to be calling for you, your head begins to swim with the ruins, you feel light headed. OOC: take a Sanity 1/1d3 test. If you fail, you walk forward and place your hand on the ruins and begin to trace them. If you pass you resist the urge.

Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:52 pm
by HoneyDog
Maria

Using her knowledge of first aid, Maria attempts to ensure that Joe doesn’t swallow his tongue during his seizure. She has some success in calming him.
First Aid,First Aid 30: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/561428]First Aid[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]5[/b]

Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:37 pm
by Rooter
Spoiler:
SAN 80[dice]0[/dice]
Resisting the strange urge to touch the runes, Bret takes a photograph of the pillar for his story exposing these weird cultists.
OOC:   Photography 40[dice]1[/dice]  
"I'm guessing this blood belongs to Joe here, or at least some of it. I'm also guessing this pillar is some kind of relic of Indian origin, right, professor? Professor?"

Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:10 am
by Mr. Handy

Eddie helps Maria, but she seems to have matters well in hand.

Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:27 pm
by BenTheRat
There isn't much you can do for a seizure, just clear the area, reduce stimuli and talk calmly to them. After a minute the seizing stopped and Joe relaxed. Lucy was holding his hand, "Oh Joe I thought I lost you. What happened?"

Tobias finally comes out of his babbiling and realizes he is alone in the swamp, while everyone else is over by the pillar.
Tobias,You realized the small stone and the large one are connected. A spell is conjured by the larger stone and the smaller stone is used to end it. The bottom symbols obviously allow a person to transform into the hound creature. What the 2 other portions of the pillar must have other spells on them. Without the small stone, it would be extremely dangerous to mess with.
Bret takes a picture of the obelisk.

Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:15 pm
by HelplessBystander
Tobias coughed harshly as he tried to clear up his raspy throat and took a quick swig of some water before looking at the two obelisks. Clearly, they've around there for as long as there's been Indian residence there. However, these obelisks felt less like ancient artefacts that belong in a museum and more closely exuding a feeling of entering an ancient mass grave. "These stone pillars, they seemed to be really dangerous. I think...I'll need to talk with the other later to see whether I should destroy this goddamned thing." He muttered to himself, before creeping very slowly towards them.
OOC:   If Tobias further analyse the stone pillar, can he find a way of tampering with the spells engraved upon it by using his knife to 'ruin' a few of the symbols?  

Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:15 am
by Mr. Handy

"Are you all right?" Eddie asks Joe. "Do you have epilepsy?"

Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:18 am
by BenTheRat
OOC:   Sorry for any misunderstanding, The large obelisk is 12' tall. The smaller one was about a foot long and in the hands of one of the robed men. They took it with them.  
The rest of you see Tobias walk up to the rest of the group. He walks up and looks at the obelisk.
Tobias,the symbols seem to be calling for you, your head begins to swim with the ruins, you feel light headed. OOC: take a Sanity 1/1d3 test. If you fail, you walk forward and place your hand on the ruins and begin to trace them. If you pass you resist the urge.
Joe sits up, he looks exhausted. "Can I get some water? No, first time that's ever happened."

Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:35 am
by HelplessBystander
Tobias examined the runes, and he felt the rune call out to him. The runes wailed some ghastly tune as he stared at it affixed. With great strength, he managed to resist the urges that welled up within him. He closed his eyes and walked towards his friends as he ponders about the possible goals of the group of students and professors over there.
SAN 72%,[dice]0[/dice] SAN Lost: 1

Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:21 am
by Mr. Handy

Eddie hands Joe his canteen so he can take a drink.

Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:31 am
by BenTheRat
Joe takes the drink and hands it back. "Lucy, who the hell are these people."

Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:37 am
by HelplessBystander
Tobias gingerly placed down the chicken. Tobias Jerkins, at your service. Now, I was planning to give this chicken to uh...someone, but it looks like nobody needs it. Heheh."

Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:36 pm
by Rooter

"Bret Parker from the Bridgewater Weekly. Would you mind telling us what just happened? Who were those guys in robes and why are you stealing chickens while wearing a hound costume? Some kind of prank?" Bret isn't quite ready to believe what he thought he just saw yet.

Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:29 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm Eddie Donovan," says Eddie, holding out his hand for a shake. He decides it's probably best not to reveal that he's a policeman.

Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:52 am
by HoneyDog
Maria

"I'm Maria. We just want to help. It looks like you need it. Will you tell us what is happening here?"

Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:25 pm
by BenTheRat
"Whoa, you're with the newspaper. No, Nothing's going on here." he is trying to scramble to his feet, but slips and falls.

Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:37 pm
by HelplessBystander
Tobias held a hand and helped him up and gently patted him on the shoulder. "There there, nothing to worry about. We are not here arrest anybody. We just want a little chat and make sure that nobody's bein' hurt. The fact that you're stealin' the chickens without paying for them ain't helping. Now, I'm not sure what you think you guys are doing, but game's over fer the day. There's a guy hurt over here and y'all need to calm down a bit and discuss this with us rationally." He said, with a moderately firm tone towards the group of misfits. He don't what he just saw, but he could tell that something supernatural's up and go in' on around here and he doesn't quite like the smell of that. Tobias wants to finish dealing with this thing as soon as possible.

Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:11 pm
by Mr. Handy

"From what I hear, nobody believes a word the Weekly prints anyway," says Eddie. "Look, you can tell us what's going on here. We're here to help."

Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:49 pm
by Rooter

Bret pretends not to have heard what Eddie just said about the Weekly. "Maybe we'd better talk to Professor Ingram instead. Do you know where we can find him?"

Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:40 am
by HelplessBystander
"It would most certainly help." Tobias said quickly.

Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:06 pm
by BenTheRat
Joe accepts your help up and Lucy hugs him, "I told you this would be dangerous, it's not something to be playing around with. Do you believe me now?"

He hugs her back, "yea that was crazy, I think I'm out," he stammers out. After a minute he takes a big breath, breaks off the hug and looks at all of you.

"Okay, I'm ready to talk. I'm sure Lucy has told you some of it, but if we use blood to trace the lines of the pillar, you are inside the big dog suit. The power is the rush. You feel so strong, so fast, you can see anything, its nothing like anything I've ever experienced. When I came back without the chicken, the professor made me go back to get one. I've never been in the suit that long, I think that's probably what caused me to pass out. What else do you want to know?"

Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:37 am
by HelplessBystander
Tobias nodded, he believes that he already had a very clear idea of what is happening around here. Joel, I appreciate your willingness to talk to us. I thank you for this, but do you mind telling me why the professor is asking you to get a chicken? I would also like to know whether every person who traces their blood over these runes will transform, and what about indirect contact? If you smear the blood of another person onto these runes, would that person turn into a Hound?”

Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:53 am
by Mr. Handy

"How did the professor find out about what this thing does and how it works?" asks Eddie. "And why did he recruit you to help him with it?"

Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:44 am
by BenTheRat
"You can use your own blood, but we use the chicken for that. Whoever traces the line in blood gets the suit, but you don't want to do it without the key. That's how you get out of it." Joe said. "The professor asked us to help with the research. It was cool at first, but I think its gotten out of hand.
We always meet at the school afterwards, not sure if they went tonight, but we were supposed to."

Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:04 am
by HelplessBystander
Tobias looked at Joe with a serious expression. "Thanks for clearing that up, and I suppose we should go and have a little chat with the professor, see if we could get him to see reason. If not, we'll have to contact the relevant authorities."

Tobias leaned towards Bret and whispered discreetly, "Bret, you don't mind if we go and some more people hanging around, would you? I have a bad feeling about this, and we should probably get as much help on our hands as possible before we take anymore unnecessary risks, if the professor turns into one of those halfway-through an negotiation, I want the Hockmock police department behind me."

Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:08 am
by Mr. Handy

"What's the key?" asks Eddie. "Do you have it?"

Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:22 am
by HelplessBystander
Tobias replied to Eddie's question. "I'm pretty sure the key was the smaller obelisk that cancels out the spell."

Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:47 am
by BenTheRat
"Whoa, you said no one was getting arrested. Come on Lucy, let's get the hell out of here," Joe says. "I don't know anything about what you are talking about."

Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:05 am
by HelplessBystander
"..." Tobias looked at Joe with an expression that only be described as the expression of a guy who was told told he won the lottery and was then escorted off the premise because his ticket was off by one number. "Um, no one is going to be arrested, we can talk this out! Waiiiiit!"

Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:45 pm
by Rooter

"Let them go," Bret says. "We've got bigger fish to fry. Sounds like this professor has been brainwashing these kids or something. I don't know about asking the police for help. No one would believe us if we told them what we saw. Besides we don't have any evidence of actual criminal activity apart from stealing chickens. I'm betting the threat of exposing this cult in the newspaper will be enough to get them to tell us what's really going on here. Let's get to the school."

Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:53 pm
by BenTheRat
OOC:   The college is spread out over 5-6 buildings as well as a couple dorms. Just FYI.  

Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:35 am
by HelplessBystander
"The precise reason that I am so eager to get the police involved is precisely because I believe the professor is trying to brainwash the kids.
There something far, far out of our control happening, going in with little to no preparation will be a dangerous game of tempting fate. Bret, you've got photos of their 'rituals' and the Hound, I'm sure. It'll probably be about enough to convince them to at least dispatch a few officers with us. Even if you don't believe getting the police involved in a good idea at this stage, perhaps getting some tranquilliser darts would be a good idea then. If we are up against these types of dangerous people and creatures that we know almost nothing about, then perhaps we need to do more than just amble in with the bare minimum of weapons. We'll definitely need to defend ourselves, the students means no harm, but the professor? I'm not sure about this."
Tobias said nerovusly, some degree of paranoia seeped into his reasoning. He looked around to ensure that he was still safe.

Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:40 am
by HoneyDog
Maria looks at Eddie.

"You're a policeman, right Eddie? Do you think the police will believe a story like this? I don't. I'm willing to go see the Professor. I'll take my chances."

Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:06 am
by BenTheRat
Joe looked much better now. "Good luck with the police guys." he says as he and Lucy walk down the small path that went the same way the people in robes went. (opposite the way you came in.). "I have my car down here. Where did you find this rabble anyway?" Joe asked.

You hear Lucy say, "They were just trying to help. But you promise you'll stop?"

"Yea, I'm done with it, that little bout was enough to convince me to stop messing with things ..." And Joe's voice fades to a point you can't hear him.

Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:14 am
by Mr. Handy

"Wait, we need your help to find the key!" calls Eddie after Joe and Lucy. He nods to Maria. "The police will never believe it unless they see it for themselves, and that could all too easily get them killed. We don't necessarily need to confront the professor. All we need to do is snatch the key and dispose of it. They're not going to do it any more if they can't change back."

Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:23 am
by HoneyDog
Maria

“We know where Lucy lives. We can talk to her, maybe persuade her to help us if it stops Joe from doing it again".

She turns to Tobias.

"And please, no more mention of the police! No-one will talk to us if you keep wanting to involve the authorities!”

Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:26 am
by HelplessBystander
Tobias sighed. “Oh yeah. I kinda saw that. I just thought there would be much lower chance of being mauled by one of those things if we show up with more people. Besides, I’m not quite sure whether they’ll stop the ritual even then. They don’t seem quite right in the head right ‘bout now. And how exactly do you propose we dispose of the Key? It doesn’t seem like it’s particularly easy to shatter or burn. Furthermore, how exactly do you plan we snatch the key without encountering the professor. It’s obvious that he’s the one in charge.”

He paused for a second and ordered about his next suggestion for a bit. “Then what about my university professors? I could always call up the occult department and see if they could offer some assistance.”

Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:14 am
by HoneyDog
Maria

"That's a good idea. Why don't we find a phone?"
OOC:   What time is it now?  

Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:42 pm
by BenTheRat
It is dark and getting darker as it is now past 8 pm.

Joe turned around at Eddie's prompting. "I'll take you to see the professor, but no cops. He's not a bad guy or dangerous, he was just doing some research. It's not like he twisted any of our arms to do this. And no one's been hurt." Joe sighed. "Come on let's go, we can probably still catch them at the school."

Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:53 pm
by HelplessBystander
"I'm not all that certain 'bout how harmful or harmless he is because I haven't met him. I promise not to bring any cops, but I'll go in knowing that I can get out in one piece." Tobias admitted. "I'm sorry, but after what I've just saw, I've suddenly realised there's some merit in being a bit more cautious in my actions."

Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:57 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you," says Eddie. "Yes, let's go visit the professor."

Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:32 pm
by BenTheRat
OOC:   Everyone should move to this thread here.