IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

The headline in the newspaper reads 'Huge Hounds Haunt Hockomock'. The police have closed the case as only being coyotes and a crazy farmer. But you know better when it comes to stories that don't seem quite right. Where do these black hounds come from, what do they want (besides their nightly chicken dinner)? And how do you stop them?

Moderator: BenTheRat

BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

Post by BenTheRat »

Date/Time: September 10th: 10 AM

You return to Mr. Jenkins' farm to pick up the trail. As you arrive, the farmer is on the side of his porch working on a chicken pen.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Good morning, Mr. Jenkins," says Eddie with a wave. "We're going to try to track down that hound. Would you like to come with us?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

"Morning, gents, ma-am. Good luck tracking. I've got work to do around here. Be careful out there," the farmer says.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 7 months

Post by HelplessBystander »

"Good Mornin', Mr. Jenkins. Thanks for the advice, we'll keep in mind to be careful out in the swamp." Tobias said cheerfully, making sure that he left good impression on the farmer.
My Call of Cthulhu Campaigns:
Dead Men Walking (Looking for new members)
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Post by Rooter »

"Howdy," Bret greets the farmer. "Do you happen to know of any native Indian folks living hereabouts?" To the others under his breath he says, "Do you guys think we should maybe try to buy one of his chickens to use as bait since we know the hound has a taste for them?"
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

"Sounds Iike an idea. But how frequently will 'the Hound' make the trip? From what I gathered, it had hunted just last night, the chances of luring 'it' out with just chicken is slim. We would need more than that in order to lure the Hounds out." Tobias analysed reasonably.
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 11 months

Post by CrackheadC. »

Dr. Porter steps out of his car wearing outdoorsy clothing that is both ill-fitting and out of style - perhaps these were clothes from when the man was younger and more fit. He digs through his trunk for his old hunting rifle before walking over to the rest of the group, careful to leave the gun unloaded.

"A bait chicken wouldn't be a bad idea - I'm sure Mr. Jenkins would rather get some money out of them rather than have them all devoured by the hounds for free. As for the frequency of its hunts - well most things eat everyday, so unless this thing is planning on hibernating, I'm betting it will want to eat again today." The doctor says.
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

Tobias said with a grimace. "There's little description of its habits, and assumptions could be deadly. We 'assume' creatures such as these are going to be benign and wouldn't attack us, yet there's no evidence to prove this point either. We do not know enough to make that assumption. We should split up into two groups: the first group can go and play the waiting game with the Hounds while the second group can trek into the Swamp to go search for it. How's that?" It was obvious that he doesn't like the prospect of entering the Swamp; he felt a forebording air exuding from it. He doesn't trust the Hounds to be benign and are expecting the worst-case scenario and bought his trusty hunting knife in his pocket. Not that it'll stand a chance against anything larger than a grown man, but it comforts Tobias that at least he have a weapon that he'll know how to use.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Post by HoneyDog »

Maria sighs. "If I'm not mistaken, the hound comes at night" she says patiently. "So if you want to lure him, you might as well stay here, as he comes here regularly anyway".

Talking to Eddie and Doctor Porter, she asks, "Did you get a sense of where the cheering was coming from in relation to our current location? I've been in the swamp as a child. It can be easy to lose your sense of direction, so we should perhaps fix our bearings using the farm."

She bats her eyelids, so as not to appear too intelligent.
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

Eddie and Dr Porter,you both agree the cheering came from the North-west. Though the hound had run more to the West when he ran off.
Mr. Jenkins smiles at the prospect of selling a chicken, "Yea I'll sell you one for $2 if you want one. Alive or dead, just let me know which way you want it."

The sun is up and the chill has disappated into a warm muggy morning. You see clouds moving in from the West.
OOC,if anyone has any skill chance of telling weather, let me know and roll.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"Hey, who said anything about waiting until night?" Bret replies to Miss Adams. "You think the hound is just going to roll over for us to tickle its belly if we find it? I figure the chicken might come in handy and if it doesn't then I'll just roast it for dinner tonight." He hands over the two bucks for a dead chicken.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"The cheering came from the northwest," says Eddie, "though the hound fled to the west. It must have turned north at some point." He looks around to see if he can see any tracks.
OOC,Track roll (20% skill) to find the hound's tracks: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

"My good sir, do you need any help with that?" Tobias said politely to Eddie, as he attempted to help him find any Hound-related tracks that are hidden from plain sight.
Spot Hidden 50%,[dice]0[/dice]

OOC:   My one true nemesis: the dice. Hey Wruter, do you think Bret will join in on the hunt for Hound tracks and do a 'Spot Hidden' roll?  
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Bret looks around following the others' gazes but isn't exactly sure what they're looking for.
OOC:   Spot Hidden 50%[dice]0[/dice]  
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

OOC:   Alright, so no one saw anything suspicious. Damn.  
Tobias pressed his body close to the ground and scoured every inch of it closely, searching for even the tiniest sign of abnormality before ultimately giving up as he could see no signs of abnormality there.
Track 10%,[dice]0[/dice]
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Maria looks around for any signs too, but she is not used to this sort of thing.
Spot Hidden,Spot Hidden 25: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/549747]Spot Hidden[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]42[/b]
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

You go out past the fence and search around for the tracks or anything that would indicate the hound was there and come up empty.

You look back at the farm and see the farmer looking at you.
OOC:   You have a couple options here, with the string of bad luck rolls. You can give up and devise a new plan.
You can head into the swamp in a west direction, the way you think the hound went.
You can head into the swamp in a north west direction, the way you think the cheering came from.  
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC:   Doctor Porter still owes us a roll. Maybe he will save us.  
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

OOC:   Doctor Porterrrrrrr.....wooooo.... *que spooky noise*  
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

OOC:   Just to keep the game moving. Doc looks around [dice]0[/dice]  
Dr. Porter had walked a few feet further ahead of the rest of you towards the west, "Is that a chicken feather up ahead?" There in the high grass he walks further up ahead and plucks a white feather out of the grass. "I don't know how old this is, but it's definetely a chicken feather."
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich

Return to “Hockomock Hounds”