IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

The headline in the newspaper reads 'Huge Hounds Haunt Hockomock'. The police have closed the case as only being coyotes and a crazy farmer. But you know better when it comes to stories that don't seem quite right. Where do these black hounds come from, what do they want (besides their nightly chicken dinner)? And how do you stop them?

Moderator: BenTheRat

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: IC: Ch 3: Swamp Delving

Post by Mr. Handy »

This time Eddie can hear the chanting.
OOC,Listen roll (55% skill) near the clearing: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Post by Rooter »

Spoiler:
Listen 50%[dice]0[/dice]
Bret can't make anything out.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Post by HoneyDog »

Maria still can't hear anything strange.
Listen,Listen 25: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/560990]Listen[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]96[/b]
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by BenTheRat »

You crept forward until the woods stopped and a small clearing is ahead of you. You see the people in robes circled around the large jagged black obelisk.
Eddie,its hard to make out what they are chanting, but you think you hear, "Oh great Daoloth, open our eyes and draw..." the rest is tough to make out.
As everyone is paying attention to the cultists no one noticed the large hound that raced by you just 5-10 feet to your right and out into the clearing. A chicken feather fluttering behind it and towards you.

The hound runs up to the people in robes, it opens its mouth and a someone takes a live chicken out of its mouth and puts it into a sack. And a large cheer comes from the group. Someone else steps up and seems to be doing something with his hands, the hound shimmers and transforms into a young man of 19 to 20 years old.
OOC:   Everyone taking Sanity test 0/1d6  
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Maria
SAN,SAN 52: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/560990]Listen[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]96[/b] [url=http://orokos.com/roll/561008]SAN loss[/url]: [u]1d6[/u] [b]2[/b]
Hearing about it is one thing, but seeing it is another. Maria cannot believe her own eyes. What has happened to these people?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Eddie only avoids succumbing to madness because he does not quite understand what is happening.
OOC,I just noticed that I never rolled Sanity when I saw the second hound, so I'll roll for that here retroactively: Sanity roll (current level 41) for seeing the hound: [dice]0[/dice] Sanity loss for seeing the hound (maximum of 4, as I lost 2 previously): [dice]2[/dice] Sanity roll (current level 38) for seeing the transformation: [dice]1[/dice] Sanity loss for seeing the transformation: [dice]3[/dice] Idea roll (60% stat) to avoid temporary insanity - failure is good: [dice]4[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 7 months

Post by HelplessBystander »

As Tobias saw the sudden, rapid transformation of the beast into a human being. Some inside of him broke. "hahahhahahaohmygodwouldyoulookatthatWhatahorrifyingthingbutisn'tthatwonderousOhhahahahhahathisisgreatIsawitIsawsomething. How unexpected. Ohisthatwhatthey'vebeendoingallthistime? SotheyarealltryingtoturnthemselvesintoHoundsandtheyarealltheHoundsandthathasalwaysbeenhappeningaroundhere? How unbelievable. Hahahaha—HAAH!!! August of 1927. How absolutely disgusting. Haha; must destroy. This is something. I'll fight it. How unbelievable..." Some countless strings of words and thoughts poured out of his mouth in seemingly random order as he held his head in horror and confused and some nauseating disgust as he witnessed the gross transformation.
OOC:   Ben, I wish to request for an insane insight.  
SAN 77,[dice]0[/dice] San loss [dice]1[/dice] Idea Roll 70% [dice]2[/dice] Temporary Insanity type = babbling, incoherent speech[dice]3[/dice]
My Call of Cthulhu Campaigns:
Dead Men Walking (Looking for new members)
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Spoiler:
SAN 80[dice]0[/dice]
"Holy moly..." Bret reaches for the camera then thinks better of it. "That's a pretty neat trick you guys did there. Mind explaining how it's done?"
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

Tobias begins to chatter incoherently, while the rest of you held your calm.

After the young man transformed, he dropped to the ground, meanwhile someone in the group looked your way and pointed. "Someone is in the woods."

The man on the ground began to convulse and appeared to be in a seizure. Someone knelt to help him, but the others began to run, someone grabbing his arms, dragging him away from the seizing man on the ground.

Lucy screamed out "JOE!!" and broke cover running towards the pillar.
Tobias,you cannot act, you just stand there spouting gibberish unless someone guides you to move. And then it will only be a walk. I will provide your insight when you come out of your Temp Insanity.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Eddie also rushes forward to try to help Joe.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

Tobias giggled nervously and only trembled harder.
OOC:   No worries. I can wait.  
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Maria

"Lucy! Come back!" shouts Maria. She takes off running after her anyway.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

While the others are helping the stricken man Bret inspects the pillar curiously.
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

Everyone rushes forward. It takes a good 10-15 seconds before you arrive. Lucy kneels next to the convulsing man, "Oh Joe, what's wrong." As she grips his hand.

Maria and Eddie also go to help Joe on the ground. Bret sees the others are handling things and is mesmerized by the black pillar. It is about 12' tall and made of black obsedian but it isn't straight, it is roughly broken into the 3 parts. All 3 are covered in ruins, the bottom one has blood on it.
image,if you go [url=https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/newcometgames/devils-swamp-a-call-of-cthulhu-rpg-adventure]here[/url] you can see a picture of it, just scroll down to the first picture.
About this time you notice Tobias isn't with you.
Bret,the symbols seem to be calling for you, your head begins to swim with the ruins, you feel light headed. OOC: take a Sanity 1/1d3 test. If you fail, you walk forward and place your hand on the ruins and begin to trace them. If you pass you resist the urge.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Maria

Using her knowledge of first aid, Maria attempts to ensure that Joe doesn’t swallow his tongue during his seizure. She has some success in calming him.
First Aid,First Aid 30: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/561428]First Aid[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]5[/b]
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Spoiler:
SAN 80[dice]0[/dice]
Resisting the strange urge to touch the runes, Bret takes a photograph of the pillar for his story exposing these weird cultists.
OOC:   Photography 40[dice]1[/dice]  
"I'm guessing this blood belongs to Joe here, or at least some of it. I'm also guessing this pillar is some kind of relic of Indian origin, right, professor? Professor?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Eddie helps Maria, but she seems to have matters well in hand.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

There isn't much you can do for a seizure, just clear the area, reduce stimuli and talk calmly to them. After a minute the seizing stopped and Joe relaxed. Lucy was holding his hand, "Oh Joe I thought I lost you. What happened?"

Tobias finally comes out of his babbiling and realizes he is alone in the swamp, while everyone else is over by the pillar.
Tobias,You realized the small stone and the large one are connected. A spell is conjured by the larger stone and the smaller stone is used to end it. The bottom symbols obviously allow a person to transform into the hound creature. What the 2 other portions of the pillar must have other spells on them. Without the small stone, it would be extremely dangerous to mess with.
Bret takes a picture of the obelisk.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

Tobias coughed harshly as he tried to clear up his raspy throat and took a quick swig of some water before looking at the two obelisks. Clearly, they've around there for as long as there's been Indian residence there. However, these obelisks felt less like ancient artefacts that belong in a museum and more closely exuding a feeling of entering an ancient mass grave. "These stone pillars, they seemed to be really dangerous. I think...I'll need to talk with the other later to see whether I should destroy this goddamned thing." He muttered to himself, before creeping very slowly towards them.
OOC:   If Tobias further analyse the stone pillar, can he find a way of tampering with the spells engraved upon it by using his knife to 'ruin' a few of the symbols?  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Are you all right?" Eddie asks Joe. "Do you have epilepsy?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death