IC: Ch 2: Meetup at the Library

The headline in the newspaper reads 'Huge Hounds Haunt Hockomock'. The police have closed the case as only being coyotes and a crazy farmer. But you know better when it comes to stories that don't seem quite right. Where do these black hounds come from, what do they want (besides their nightly chicken dinner)? And how do you stop them?

Moderator: BenTheRat

BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

IC: Ch 2: Meetup at the Library

Post by BenTheRat »

Date/Time: September 10th: 8 AM

After last night's activities everyone has survived and met back at the library as per-arranged. Mr. Nichols is already in the library setting up some of the rooms for students to use for studying.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Re: IC: Ch 2: Meetup at the Library

Post by HoneyDog »

Maria has dressed appropriately for a trip to the swamp, wearing waterproofs and sturdy boots she borrowed from a local friend. Last night seems long ago now, but she knows that they all witnesses something very strange last night, which confirms her lifelong feeling about the area.
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 7 months

Post by HelplessBystander »

Tobias screamed and cussed all the way into the library, his car broke down in the middle of the road and he had to ask around to get his car towed, and then he had to run all the way here from the place where his car broke down. As if that wasn't enough, he tripped on the front entrance of the library due to his hurried running.
My Call of Cthulhu Campaigns:
Dead Men Walking (Looking for new members)
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 11 months

Post by CrackheadC. »

Dr. Porter climbs the stairs to the library and heads inside. He carries a cane in his left hand and a black doctor's bag in the right. The large man is wearing thick work boots, denim and an old flannel covered by a waterproof jacket - clearly the doctor was prepping for his trip.
Bentherat,Would Porter have had any trouble procuring an hold hunting rifle? I didn't specifically list all of the things he owns, but I figure the doctor is a man of means and probably has a few things like this.
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by BenTheRat »

Dr. Porter,yes, you can have a hunting rifle. And a few rounds of ammo, lets say 10.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

"Hello, Doc. What's up?" Tobias said, in an attempt to be polite.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Eddie arrives punctually. He is also wearing high, sturdy boots. In addition, he has brought a backpack containing a strong rope, some trail rations, a full canteen, and a flashlight. He doesn't intend for them to still be in the swamp when it gets dark, but he isn't taking any chances.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Post by Rooter »

Bret arrives last after the long night of doing research. "Hey, nobody told me we were going on a jungle trek," he says, noting the attire of all but him and Tobias. "Did you tell them what we found out, professor?"
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

"Well, I was thinking about it on the way here, but my car broke down halfway here, and I walked the damn mile. And I tripped on the library steps, now my clothes is covered in dirt and dust, and I've more or less completely forgotten the speech that I've prepared on our finding and discoveries. But I'll start you off," Tonias complained, finding that, for some weird reason, he was met with relatively bad luck this morning. "We've discovered that the supposed sightings for the Hound have a pattern; namely, the witnesses report the sightings once every twelve years, that, and the fact that strange sightings have been occurring ever since the King Phillip war. Bigfoot had been getting around as well, since some sightings of Bigfoot had been reported as well." He said the last part of his sentence with a sarcastic tone so thick that you could cut through it with a knife.

Tobias held up his notes and some newspaper clippings that he had snuck out of the papers as evidence...and then he realised that he probably wasn't supposed to take anything out of the archives. "Uhhh...am I supposed to take things out of the archive? I mean, it was a spur-of-the-moment thing, so I didn't ask."
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"Don't forget the Indian connection," Bret adds. "We also discovered that the swamp was a former site of Indian slavery and a shaman supposedly placed a curse upon it. Is there any coffee going?"
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Maria

"The Swamp has always been a site of strange legends. Whether you believe it or not, there's definitely something different about the place. Last night, we saw the hound, and it was like nothing on Earth. We"re going into the swamp today to find some answers."

She turns to Tobias.

"Was the last reported sighting twelve years before now?" she asks.
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

"Yes...I believe so. I don't remember precise dates, but I think the last reported sightings are from a decade ago." Tobias turned towards Bret, "I mean, that was the date, right?"

Nevertheless, he remained doubious of the hound sightings with a somewhat dismissive attitude about it, after all, he wasn't exactly lacking in anectdotes after his misadventures in trawling through newspaper archives. He stared at Maria inquisitively, "Again, I don't recall Bret and I being invited in your little trips, so we aren't exactly dressed for swamp-diving, mademoiselle. Besides, I wasn't exactly planning to go into swamps when I first arrived, so I'll have to buy heavy gear." Tobias spat out the word 'buy' as if was a repulsive cuss word. He guarded his wallet with a newfound zealotry after losing a shiny dollar to the shameless bartender at the speakeasy. He was forced to pay double for piss-poor alcohol and, due to the circumstances at the time, he haven't complained, but he was still sore about it.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Maria smiles sweetly.

"You don't have to come if you really don't want to" she tells Tobias.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"Yes, every 12 years, that's a fact. It might be worth doing some additional research while we're here into whatever happens every 12 years also maybe the Indian history of the site and wait a second did you say you saw the hound Miss sorry what was your name again?" Bret whips out his reporter's notebook ready for the scoop. "Bret Parker from the Bridgewater Weekly. Our readers would love to hear the story of a pretty, local girl like you. Maybe get some photos too..."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Maria certainly isn't adverse to some publicity, but not dressed in these clothes.

"My name is Adams. Perhaps later Mr. Parker, when this is over. Yes, perhaps your journalistic skills might be suited to more research?"
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"I got lotsa skills, dame. Hey, Mr. Nichols, are we good to crack open the special files again?"
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Maria

"Dame?" thinks Maria. "What an arrogant jerk."
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

"Man, I sure hope we aren't gonna crack open 'bother special file." Tobias said, stretching slightly, "We spent nearly theee hours last night hopping from the Library to a speakeasy to a newspaper archive, and the fact that we found close to nothing except esoteric tales is really not making me motivated enough to repeat this all over again."

Toias looked adamantly at the lady, "Look, ma'am, I came here to write a paper on the creepy haunting and whatnot, if I got the chance to get firsthand evidence and details, I'm not going let the chance slip by. I'm a professor-in-the-making, not a bloody librarian that are going to be confined to musty old books for the ages to come. If that is all, Bret an' I shall go and buy some trekking gear."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I've seen one of the hounds too," says Eddie. "It smashed open one of the farmer's crates, stole a chicken, and made good its escape. Both of us tried to shoot it, but it was too fast. I think the reason the farmer couldn't hurt it earlier was because all he had was birdshot and rock salt. I gave him some of my buckshot shells, which will hopefully be more effective. If any of you want to see it too, we know which way it went and can track it down. Now, I don't know much about history, so I don't know when the King Philip war was, let alone what it was about."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

"The King Philip's War was an armed conflict between the Indians and the colonists in 1675–78." Tobias answered helpfully. He had, after all, received a college education.

Return to “Hockomock Hounds”