IC: Ch 1b: The Bridgewater Weekly (Tobias and Brett)

The headline in the newspaper reads 'Huge Hounds Haunt Hockomock'. The police have closed the case as only being coyotes and a crazy farmer. But you know better when it comes to stories that don't seem quite right. Where do these black hounds come from, what do they want (besides their nightly chicken dinner)? And how do you stop them?

Moderator: BenTheRat

BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

IC: Ch 1b: The Bridgewater Weekly (Tobias and Brett)

Post by BenTheRat »

Time: Friday Sept. 9th, 10 PM

You leave the speakeasy a little disgruntled, and a dollar lighter. The laughter of the old men a bit irritating, someone even started making howling noises asking if this is how they were supposed to sound.

The two of you hope into the car and head over to the Bridgewater Weekly, hoping for better luck.

You pull into the small paper, it's closed for the night, but you have a key.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Re: The Bridgewater Weekly (Tobias and Brett)

Post by Rooter »

"Here we are, professor," Bret says to Tobias, getting out of the car. "Between the two of us we should be able to dig up something from the archives in no time." He unlocks the door of the office.
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

You know the archives are in the back. You go back there and turn the lights on. Its dusty, people obviously don't come back here very often.
OOC:   What exactly are the 2 of you looking for. You can pick what tobias is looking for, you can look for different things. Then make a library use roll for each of you.  
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 7 months

Post by HelplessBystander »

"I'll look into the Hockmock Swamp for the last 15 years. You can go look into the other stuff. Let's hope this time we will find something more worthwhile than vague mumblings." Tobias said as he carefully unlocked the archives with the keys that Bret handed him.
Library Use 50%,[dice]0[/dice]
My Call of Cthulhu Campaigns:
Dead Men Walking (Looking for new members)
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

OOC:   Can I do a luck roll to see if something accidentally fall into my view or my bumbling attempt to navigate the archives bring out any clues?  
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

OOC:   You can do one of 2 things. 1, use your luck on a 1 for 1 to pass. So that would be 30 points, ouch. Don't recommend it. The 2nd option would be to push your roll. To do this, you must give me an in game reason on why you should get a 2nd roll. If you fail, something bad usually happens. FYI. You can roll for Brett also. Just let me know what you are doing, and what you think Brett should look for. Everything else is way too vague.  
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

OOC:   Alright, maybe Bret should look for detailed accounts of locations, potential weaknesses, and during which time of the day was the hound most active. I'm willing to roll for Bret as long as he's okay with it. As for my reason a second roll...maybe Tobias had been hit on the head by a falling light-bulb and forced him to stumble headfirst into a file cabinet, thus accidentally spilling all of its contents into the floor, and he found what he was looking for as he cleaned everything up? Is that a good enough reason? :D  
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

OOC:   Bret is out till Tuesday, so he asked for us to run him. So you want him to look for anything on the hounds. That is what I meant by specific.

What you wrote was an excuse. Thats not how it works. What it is, is come up with what your character is doing different that should allow a 2nd roll.
Or we can move to the next hour. Your failure just meant you didn't find anything that hour. If you push it and fail you are done for the night though.  
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

OOC:   Alright. Great, I'll move Tobias to the next hour. I was never good at making excuses and there's probably not a lot of inventive ways of perusing an archive anyways. Maybe Bret look for how to find the hound while Tobias can try and investigate the Hockmock Swamp. Is that good?  
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

OOC:   I'm not out til Tuesday, you must mean CrackheadC.  

"Okay, I'll try to find those reports specifically relating to hounds in the area 15 years ago, you see if there's any history of any other weird events in the Hockomock like those guys at the speakeasy said."
OOC:   Library Use 70%[dice]0[/dice]  
OOC:   The dice is not our friend.  
"Well if there's anything here it's buried pretty deep and it's almost 11pm now. You want to burn the midnight oil? We might not get another chance during the day."
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

Tobias shrugged tiredly. "Sure. Let's go burn the midnight oil. It's not as if it's anything I haven't done before back at the Miskatonic. Let's go have another look at the archives." Tobias quickly skimmed through the contents of many filing cabjnets at once. Looking for the weird events that occurred in the Hockmock Swamp.
Library Use 50%,[dice]0[/dice]
OOC:   The dice is now my friend.  
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

OOC:   Library Use 70%[dice]0[/dice]  
"Aha! I think we might have something."
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

Tobias smiled in satisfaction. "Yes, I think we do." As he said that, he inelegantly pulled out a skimpy file of yellowed newspaper clippings of poor-quality pulp paper, one could've easily missed it if they don't look carefully.. It didn't directly reference any esoteric rambling, or did it directly reference the Hockmock urban legends. But it did say a thing or two about the Hockmock swamp and the community built around it.
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

Tobias found an article written 21 years ago, almost at the papers inception about the strange occurrences around the Hockomock.
Indian tribes used it as a base of operations to ambush the English during the King Phillip war. Atrocities were committed by the Indians and so they were "put down". Many were killed, a lot of Indian woman and children were sold into slavery. But before they were moved out of the swamp, a shaman placed a curse on the whole swamp that the English had dubbed "Devil's Swamp". Since that time there have been strange sightings of Big Foot, Thunder Birds, glowing lights, and large black hounds with glowing red eyes.

Bret found an article more specific to the hounds themselves. Someone had tracked down the large black hounds occurrences. They are scattered throughout history but date back a hundred years or more. Some of the earlier reports aren't as date specific, it just talks about them being sporadic. As the list gets to within the last 80 years, the dates get more specific. There were reports in 1864, 1876, 1888, 1900, and 1912.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

Tobias made a whistling sound. "Man, Big Foot sure likes getting around. Last time I heard about 'im in the papers, he was in the Himalayan Alps. Which I imagine is pretty damned far from here. " He passed article carefully to Bret, he got the feeling that accidentally ripping the fragile paper in half would not be accepted.

"Take at look at this crazy shit, they are talkin' all inconsistent nonsense there in those papers. However, Indian slavery, huh. You guys sure have it pretty bad here the natives." Tobias wrinkled his nose in disapproval, he does not believe the coloured folks are as savage as they're often described in the papers. The thing he hated the most about the Australian papers were their descriptions of the Asian immigrants.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"That's about the shape of it. Well, at least we have something to tell the others at the next meeting. Now I guess we'd better lock up here and head on home to bed. I'm beat." As Bret gets to his feet he notices something. "Hey, wait a second. Look at this. The dates of the hound sightings all occur exactly every 12 years."
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

"You're right." Tobias exclaimed in surprise. He stared at Bret. "Any idea what this means? I have a bad feeling about this."
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"I don't know what it means but I do know that something very strange is going on here..."

Well, I guess we've run out of time to do more research today but at least we have a couple of leads we can check up on tomorrow."
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

"Agree. We've burnt the midnight oil pretty damned thoroughly. I need to go and get my stuff unpacked and go tell the hotel people that I'm going to extend my room reservation by a few days." Tobias nodded in agreement.
Bentherat,where would Tobias' hotel be?
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

Tobias,you have a hotel room in Bridgewater I would imagine, I don't think we need to get to specific about that. Feel free to use whatever you like. There was a hotel called the Bridgewater Inn there in the 1920s. You can use that.
OOC:   You didn't really make plans to meet in the morning, but lets assume you did, at say 8 am in the library.
You are ahead of the other group, so you can continue to roleplay some till its time to jump to the new thread in the morning.
It is midnight right now for you guys.  
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich

Return to “Hockomock Hounds”