IC: Ch1. The Bridgewater Preservation Society

The headline in the newspaper reads 'Huge Hounds Haunt Hockomock'. The police have closed the case as only being coyotes and a crazy farmer. But you know better when it comes to stories that don't seem quite right. Where do these black hounds come from, what do they want (besides their nightly chicken dinner)? And how do you stop them?

Moderator: BenTheRat

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: IC: Ch1. The Bridgewater Preservation Society

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Looks like the two of them have the research well in hand," says Eddie to Maria. "If you want to go talk to the farmer now, I could come with you."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Post by Rooter »

"Sounds good to me," Bret replies to Tobias. "It shows just how seriously these phenomena are being taken that we now have a certified academic researcher from Miskatonic taking an interest. That kind of thing makes a good local story even better."
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 7 months

Post by HelplessBystander »

"I'm nobody important, Mister Journalist. I'm just a freshman from the Miskatonic. I don't even major in occult and esoteric studies; I major in Criminology and police procedures, for goodness' sake! Tobias said in exasperation, as he dusted off the covers for some of the older archives of newspaper clippings "Unfortunately, my professors had threatened my course credits and had said that I'm not passing my courses unless I write my papers here. Oh yeah, and I don't think I've introduced myself yet, my name is Tobias Jerkins, I plan on becoming a Private Eye in the future, maybe Pinkerton, or maybe I'll set up my own firm, not quite sure yet, but somewhere along these lines." He shrugged, and cracked open a tome of old newspapers the colour of bad cheese.

"I'm not from around here, and I need answers to questions. I need context for why this is happening, and ultimately write a paper about the validity of the farmer's claims. Why is this happening? When did the rumours start? Who started it? Who witnessed the Hound throughout the years? Where is the Hound the most active? As far as I can gather from mere moments of glimpsing these interviews and anecdotes, I see that the witnesses' description of the Hound has remained inconsistent and their description of the Hound ranges from tall to short, big to small, and even black to white! The only thing that remained consistent throughout their varied descriptions is that the beast is canine in nature, and are strong. Unnaturally so. And the creature was frequently sighted near Hockmock, which raises the question of 'why is it that the Hound has been frequently spotted in this area'? The newspapers didn't really specify whether the witnesses' minds was in an altered state when the Hound was sighted, the question of whether they are under the influence of alcohol, narcotics or anything else of a hallucinogenic nature was ignored in the pursuit of a very-likely non-existent Hound of Hockmock; but I believe this possibility could be ruled out anyways as there's no record of related incidents involving drug cartels or powerful street gangs. There's no specific time-frame of activity, and the only clues I have found so far seemed to be somewhat...unreliable. Anything good on your end?" Tobias said as he grabbed his notebook and pen out from his backpack and copied down consistent descriptions of the Hound, names of the witnesses' throughout the ages, the pet theories suggested by the newspapers, and anything else of note and obvious importance to solving this case.
My Call of Cthulhu Campaigns:
Dead Men Walking (Looking for new members)
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 11 months

Post by CrackheadC. »

The door to the library smacks open and a large old man comes huffing and puffing through, attempting to move quickly while using a cane and looking at a pocket watch.

The man was Dr. Cornelius Porter, a local medical doctor who has operated a small practice in the area for twenty years. The old man one day must have been built like a brick house, but age is creeping up on him: his hair and beard were more salt than pepper, tight and strong built muscle have atrophied, but nevertheless he maintains a smile.

"So did I miss it?" The old man puffs as he moves toward the librarian's desk, "You always have something interesting for me to look into and I need something to distract me for a while. I had a housecall so I couldn't get here right away."
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by BenTheRat »

HelplessBystander,You should wait to announce what you found till I tell you. I've just been waiting to see if anyone else was going with Eddie to interview Mr. Jenkins at the farm. While I appreciate the enthusiasm, trust me I do, if you put down something wrong, then either I have to work it into the story, or just make a correction and it makes everyone look bad. What you put here is fine, I can work this in.
Mr. Nichols stands up and shakes the good doctor's hand. Everyone who lives in Bridgeport knows Dr. Porter and has probably seen him at least once. Getting a good doctor to a small city like Bridgeport can be tough. There are only a few of them here. "Of course you are late my old friend. But it wouldn't be a proper meeting if you were on time." Mr. Nichols gives the doctor a firm handshake and then a cup of tea. "Seems the Hockomock Hounds have returned, why now, is beyond me. Two are already combing the archives, and Eddie here is heading out to talk to the farmer who's seen 'em." He completes introductions all around.
OOC:   I am starting a new thread for those going to talk to the farmer/neighbors, etc. So if you are going move to that thread. If you are staying to do research stay here. If this is your first time playing, it is protocol to NOT read the other threads until you get back together and the others "tell" you what happened. Then you can go read the threads. Let me know if you have any questions.  
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

OOC:   If you are going to do the interviews go here.  
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 11 months

Post by CrackheadC. »

"The Hounds again, huh? Well if they're already at it back there, perhaps I'll join Eddie here and see if the witnesses have anything new to go on." Dr. Porter heads out the door to go to the farm.
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

OOC:   Sorry about that, I just thought that it would be fine to add some intentionally vague info. Furthermore, I think I mentioned that Tobias skimmed the whole damned thing and he only looked at the nearest hundred years. If worst comes to worst, Tobias is simply a really shitty speed-reader. Thanks.  
Last edited by HelplessBystander on Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

Tobias and Bret scour the books, looking for any mentions of hounds or large dogs in the Hockomock area.

Tobias found several vague references, as he described, but the latest report was well over 15 years ago.

Bret found an entry of something called the Hound of Tendalous but it doesn't sound anything like what the farmer described. This creature always killed anyone who saw them.

It is now just after 8 PM. The sun is beginning to go down.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"Well, I was going to go interview Mr. Jenkins but it looks like those other guys went on ahead without us and the lady didn't want a ride from an obvious schmuck like me, so it looks like it's just you and me, buddy," Bret says to Tobias. "Not much in the records. Maybe we should go take a quick look at the swamp itself before it gets totally dark? Mr. Nichols, you're a longtime resident of this area--I'm a relative newcomer from Boston so I'm not so familiar. Do you recall anything in the history of the Hockomock itself which stands out?"
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

Tobias coughed. "Mr Parker, common sense tells me that taking a drive to a swamp near nighttime is a terrible idea. There's many complications and other factors that needs to be considered before we could start the survey. Let's go greet the man that just came in first and ask his opinion before doing anything else, okay?" He said with a slight sign of exasperation and tiredness in his voice. He had been combing through dozens upon dozens of articles for descriptive accounts of the Hound and are coming up a blank. He feels like his presence here is a cruel joke made by his professors.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"Looks like Dr. Porter already left."
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

"Wait, what? He left already?" Tobias finally glanced up from his books with an expression of surprise glued on his face. "Uh...I just kinda thought he was still there. Damn. He left waaay earlier than I thought he would."
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

"Yes, the good Dr. Porter left almost immediately with the other two. I know its easy to get caught up in research. As for me, well the Hockomock has always been a strange place, my mind aint' as sharp as it use to be. I remember something about hounds being reported years ago, but not much more than that." Mr. Nichols responds.
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Spoiler:
Library Use 70[dice]0[/dice]
"Okay, why don't we see if we can find some more details on this last occurrence 15 years ago. I didn't feel like going out anyway and I interview people all the time during the day."

Bret lights another cigarette and does some more digging in the archives but unfortunately comes up blank.
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

OOC:   Tobias, what do you want to do?  
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

Tobias shook his head with resignation. "The books did not offer any more helpful information. Mr. Parker doesn't want to do any interviews currently and going to Hockmock right now appears to be a bad idea. Well, I'll check up on whether I missed anything on the incident 15 years ago. Let's meet up with the other afterwards, trade information and then decide on a plan of action, how does that sound?"
library use 50%,[dice]0[/dice]
Fast Talk 65%,[dice]1[/dice]
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

"Damn. I can't find anything useful." Tobias sighed in resignation.
BenTheRat
Keeper
Keeper

Post by BenTheRat »

After another hour of searching, your efforts prove futile. Mr. Nichols is getting ready to go, slipping on his jacket. "If you gentlemen want to stay longer, be sure to lock the door on your way out. Good Evening gentlemen."

OOC:   It is now 9 PM  
Call of Cthulhu
Arkham Horror
Cthulhu Wars
The Rat's Haunting
A Star on the Shore
A Dream of Japan
Watch the World Burn
Shadows over Dunwich
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

"Hey, uh..." Tobias said, "Do you think we should leave now? I have a room reservation at a hotel; we could pick up where we left off tomorrow, you know? I also assume you have a house to return to? I think it would be a damned good idea to leave now."

Return to “Hockomock Hounds”