Page 1 of 1

IC-Ep 1-Rain of Death(Everyone)

Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:25 am
by Mr. Handy
St. James's Church - London, England
8:50 PM - Saturday, September 7, 1940

Eddie Lawlor, Story, Elizabeth, and Brook stood facing Archie Pennyfeather at the top of a narrow staircase leading down to the church's basement, where the promised air raid shelter was. Those still below in the shelter could not see what was happening upstairs, but they could hear it just fine now. The sounds of airplanes above were louder now, and the formerly distant explosions were getting uncomfortably close. There was also the sound of machine gun fire far above, an indicator of aerial combat. The RAF appeared to have joined the fray at last.

Re: IC-Ep 1-Rain of Death(Everyone)

Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:26 am
by Steveoknox24
"Archie?! Everything ok?" In an odd way, the machine guns normalize the whole experience. However, there's still urgency in Seamus' voice.

Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:34 am
by andyw666
Archie beams happily at the new arrivals. "Welcome one and all, lovely to have more guests but perhaps we might get you safely downstairs before we chat further?"

Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:35 pm
by Thorn
Brook, a darkhaired teenage girl dressed almost entirely in black, nods and hurries down the narrow stairs, glancing upwards whenever she can hear an explosion. "Hello..."

Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:52 am
by Mr. Handy
There were several people in the air raid shelter in the basement of the church. Some of them were hiding under spare pews that were stored down here, such as a pretty young woman with blonde hair. In contrast, two old ladies sat calmly on another pew. A well-dressed gentleman sat on yet another, reading a newspaper. There were a couple of elderly men, as well as the handsome Irishman in his thirties who had addressed their greeter as Archie.

Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:22 am
by Pastiche
Benjamin scrambles out from under his pew to greet the newcomers, and extends his hand. "Well met, everyone, my name is Benjamin Klein, tailor, at your service!".

He continues with a worried look on his face: "How is the situation out there?"

Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:40 am
by Mister Ginge
"Evening everyone," says Eddie. "Glad you all made it safe in 'ere tonight. Looks like it's gonna be a rough 'un."

He looks at the three strangers he met in the warehouse, aware of unfinished business..

Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:38 pm
by aine
One of the old ladies gets to her feet quite slowly but once up, strides forward with purpose.
"Oh you poor dears! Come in, come in! Now Reverend, did I see a big tea urn earlier? It's about time we broached the refreshments; these poor people look like they've had quite a journey."

Mrs Cruckshank pats Thorn on the arm,
"Was it so very rough out there dear? Well don't you worry you'll be much safer down here, not totally safe you understand but safer at least. Come on Mrs Duncan, stir yourself; we mustn't let the Women's Institute down!"
She bustles into the gloom of the undercrypt hoping that Rector Giles Curry had the foresight to organise tea of some sort.

Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:29 pm
by Thorn
Brook smiles friendly at the elder woman, and glances around the shelter at the other present. "It sure sounded like it's starting to get bad. Good thing Eddie here found us and showed us the way, it's near impossible to know where you're going up there in the dark. I'm Brook, by the way."

Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:43 am
by Mr. Handy
The other old woman hustled over to Brook's other side. "Pleased to meet you, luv," she said. "I'm Mrs. Maggie Duncan, and this is Mrs. Cruckshank. My, you're a pretty lass and no mistake!"

The second old man fetched a tea tray and shuffled over. "Welcome to St. James's Church," he said in a raspy voice. "I'm Giles Curry, the rector here."

The gentleman looked up from his newspaper. "Good evening," he said. "I'm Lord Rufus Colville."

"I'm L-Laura," said the young lady cowering under a pew.

Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:50 am
by andyw666
After everyone else has entered the bomb shelter, Archie reappears and shuts the door behind him. For those seeing him in a lit room for the first time, he is a quite short, cheery looking soul of middle years, wearing a black Royal Navy uniform complete with a number of campaign ribbons, topped off by a clergyman's collar.

"Right, that's the lot for the moment I think, unless any of you saw other people upstairs? Do let me know if anyone up above is in need of assistance. I'm Archie Pennyfeather and you're all most welcome. We've been playing cards using part of Benjamin's excellent tarot deck."

Archie looks at each of the new faces for signs of panic or distress.

Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:35 pm
by Steveoknox24
Seamus waves to the newcomers and paces the room. "Name's Seams O'Leary. The runt of this here litter."

Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:27 pm
by Mister Ginge
OOC:   I'll be in rural France til Monday 10th July with very limited internet access. May be able to make the odd post on my phone but please feel free to NPC my character in the meantime  

Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:23 am
by yockenthwaite
"Thank you Reverend," says Elizabeth. "It's such a relief to be somewhere safe, given what is going on outside. Thank you all for such a warm welcome. My name is Elizabeth." She smiles warmly around the room, genuinely relieved to be safe, and also touched by the varied group gathering here for safety and the resilience of humanity. It also reminds her of her childhood, though she never saw the Blitz.

Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:54 am
by jaysun81
Story takes in the group before him. He waits as his companions introduce themselves and then says, "Tell me... Father is it? Anyways, has there been any strange things of late? Animals attacking and killing folks?" He smiles. After a moment it dawns on him that he hasn't introduced himself. He extends his hand and says, "Please forgive me... the name is Professor Story, but no need for titles, just call me Story."

Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:08 am
by Mr. Handy
Reverend Curry shook Story's hand, though with his advanced age, the handshake was rather weak. "You are welcome, all of you," he said. "Animal attacks?" He gave Story a puzzled look. "No, I've not heard of anything like that, Story. The bombing is bad enough."

"Killer animals on the loose?!" cried the young woman under the pew. "That's all we need! Did they escape from the zoo somehow? Maybe it was bombed!"

Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:40 am
by Thorn
Brook looks at Story, thinking of the closed door. To the people in the shelter, the teenage girl does not look particularly distressed or panicked, simply a bit worried. She gratefully accepts a cup of tea from the rector, while nodding to everyone who introduces themselves.

Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:12 am
by andyw666
Archie greets each of the new guests individually. He shakes Eddie's hand, tickles the kitten behind the ear and congratulates him on the bravery of the air raid wardens. He somewhat more gently takes Elizabeth's hand in both of his and welcomes her also, and does the same for Brook. Taking in Brook's attire, Archie looks slightly amazed, but does his polite best to not make her uncomfortable. "The rationing and what we are asking our young women to do for this wretched war are certainly having an impact on young ladies fashions. So different from my university days. But you are all most welcome."

Archie is slightly amused that Story was intercepted by the good Reverend Curry, suspecting Story had been addressing him. "And I am also a reverend. The lads generally call me Rev, or just Archie. Professor Story? Jolly good, may I ask what field? And what university?" He asks this with open-faced enthusiasm for academia.

Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:11 pm
by Pastiche
"Animal attacks you say? What kind of animals are you talking about? Sometimes there are rabid dogs prowling the streets of the East End obviously, that can give you a nasty bite, but killing people? I've never heard such a thing..."

Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:03 am
by Steveoknox24
Seamus is stunned at Story's mention of animals. Sweat beads upon his forehead and his voice quivers: "Yes, Story. Please elaborate on that fact."

Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:30 am
by yockenthwaite
Elizabeth smiles as Archie greets her, but is more concerned as the conversation turns inevitably to the animal attacks. She has seen much in her travels through time and space, but expects - and is seeing - that this news will only alarm those present. She bites her lip nervously, waiting to see what Story says next. She also crosses her fingers that whatever attacked that young woman isn't capable of making its way into an air raid shelter ...

Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:06 pm
by jaysun81
"Ah, good to meet you Archie. Yes, yes I'm a Professor of Astronomy... I was educated at the Prydonian Academy. It's a long way off you know." He flashes a toothy smile and turns his attention to the rising concerns of animal attacks and continues, "Well, I really couldn't tell you what types of beast lurk the streets under the cover of night. However, I can say there is most certainly something mean and nasty out and about. No need to be alarmed. After all we are safe, and it's simply an animal... we have the advantage of numbers." Looking around the room he recalls something. Turning his attention back to Revd Curry he asks, "Did you happen to know a girl from Whitechapel named Nell Murrow?"

Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:35 am
by Mr. Handy
Giles Curry scratched his head. "No, can't say the name sounds familiar," he said. "Whitechapel's only a few blocks away. She's not one of my parishioners."
OOC,[b]Phyllis[/b] and [b]Seamus[/b], you may both roll Know.

Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:36 am
by ZadokAllen
All of the sudden a man burst into the shelter. He looks around frantically and mutters a general “Good day’, further ignoring the occupants. His clothes are wrinkled, his shirt wrongly buttoned and his hair unkempt. His bloodshot eyes reveal a man with a lot on his mind and not enough sleep. He starts pacing in front of the shelter entrance, sometimes stopping to listen if the raid has stopped.

Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:33 pm
by aine
The first old lady puts down her tea. "You shouldn't start scare mongering unless you are sure of your facts young man. Rabid animals!" She admonishes Story even though he looks older than her. "Look! You've scared the young ladies. I'm Mrs Phylis Cruckshank and this here is Mrs Duncan. We are with the WI! And that name might ring a bell. Let me think."
know,roll: 1%

Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:51 pm
by Mr. Handy
The raid had not stopped, far from it.
Phyllis Cruckshank,[b]Phyllis[/b] did recall a [b]Nell Murrow[/b] who lived in Whitechapel from her work with the WI. [b]Nell[/b] was one of the poor young women she had tried to help, though [b]Nell[/b] had been proud and hadn't wanted to rely on help. A few months ago, [b]Nell[/b] had begun working as a prostitute, which had alleviated her poverty problems, though it had other drawbacks.
OOC,Everyone, please give me a Listen roll at some point before I return. You won't actually hear anything until then, so please feel free to roleplay while I'm gone.

Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:58 pm
by Pastiche
Benjamin turns to the newcomer to introduce himself. "You're safe here, or at least safer than outside. It looks like you could use some of the tea the ladies have made..." He gestures towards Phyllis with a smile. He whispers, careful so that she doesn't hear him, "She may come across a bit bossy, but she's quite nice actually..."
Spoiler:
Listen 25%: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:59 pm
by Steveoknox24
Seamus remains silent. His haunted memory igites by the mention of the attacks.
Spoiler:
Seamus has a Know of 99

[dice]1[/dice]
[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:02 pm
by Steveoknox24
OOC:   I'll try not to roll from my phone in the future.  

Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:25 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I'll count the second roll as your Listen roll, which succeeds.
Seamus,[b]Seamus[/b] knew just about everyone in the East End underworld. [b]Nell Murrow[/b] was a prostitute who worked in this area, and a fairly successful one.

Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:36 am
by jaysun81
Story nods at Phylis and says, "My apologies Mrs Cruckshank." As Benjamin speaks, Story looks at the fellow who just burst in but says nothing.
FAILURE,Listen - 34% [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:56 am
by andyw666
OOC,[b]Archie's[/b] [i]Listen[/i] is 50% and he rolls... [dice]0[/dice]
"Prydonian? Don't believe I know that one? Must be one of the new colleges." He mutters to himself.

Upon spying the new arrival, Archie heads over to introduce himself. "Archie Pennyfeather old son, and you are most welcome. Make yourself at home."

Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:56 am
by yockenthwaite
Elizabeth looks surprised at the latest arrival, but guesses he maybe dashed out in a hurry. He certainly looks as though he dressed in a hurry. Perhaps he was in bed? Although by the looks of him he doesn't seem to have had much sleep lately. She decides to stop thinking about it, and look around for a spare pew that she can sit down on, preferably with room for Brook too if she wants to sit too. It looks likely that they may be here for some time yet.
OOC,Elizabeth rolls Listen (stat 42%) [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:18 am
by aine
Mrs Cruckshank tuts and takes a chipped cup of tea to the newcomer. "Come and sit down or you'll wear a groove in the flags. You're safe now unless we get a direct hit I suppose. Were you in a rush to be somewhere?" The man's dishevilled appearence jogged her memory.

"Oh yes, I've place her now. Nell Murow lives on Myrdle Street, not far from Whitechapel Rd. A poor strip of a girl but as pround as Punch. Wouldn't take our help." Mrs Cruckshank's face darkens. "No, thought she knew better but she's in a sorry mess now, I hear."

Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:39 am
by ZadokAllen
His reaction to Benjamin is slow, his mind is definitely somewhere else. Although he shakes his head to the offering of tea he nonetheless looks pleased when Mrs Cruckshank shoves a cup in his hands.

Nice to meet you, I’m Eugene Thomson.” “Salesman by trade”, as he tips his hat. "It’s just that everything I own is outside in my car, and I’m afraid it’s gonna get looted, you see?"

[­Spoiler-Button]Eugene Listen:45, [­dice]1d100[­/dice][­/Spoiler-Button]

Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:48 am
by ZadokAllen
(oops, lets try again)

[Spoiler-Button]Eugene Listen:45 [dice]0[/dice][/Spoiler-Button]

Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:57 am
by andyw666
Archie returns to Story. "Astronomy? Very fierce! I have a passion for archaeology myself, which I used to be able to combine with my ecclesiastical duties but then the War broke out. Can't spend too much time worrying about Mesopotamian archer Roman Army auxiliaries manning Hadrian's Wall, when our lads are risking their necks by land, sea and air, what?"

"Ah, what was that about a wild animal you mentioned earlier?"

Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:15 am
by Steveoknox24
Seamus, eager at the distraction, chuckles at Mrs. Cruckshank's response. "I think it's all a matter of perspective. I know many who think Nell is quite a success." He looks around to see if the men catch his meaning and remembers how out of his element he is.

Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:53 pm
by jaysun81
Looking at Archie, Story answers his question saying, "The wild animal... well, we didn't see the actually beast in question. However we saw the aftermath of its attack. I tell you it had strength as it pulled the poor victim from the street into the building that Eddie found us, and a measure of intelligence as it managed to open the door... bizarre, but certainly not impossible." Story shakes his head and continues, "A sad way for Ms. Murrow to perish, and a reason for us to not venture out alone."

Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:21 am
by ZadokAllen
Eugene chuckles at Seamus his joke.

Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:54 am
by andyw666
Archie looks appalled. "Good heavens above! Are you telling me a young woman up there somewhere has been killed not by a bomb but by a wild animal? The poor girl! I wonder if I should go back up there and give her the Last Rites?"

Archie looks genuinely torn between a desire to find the deceased and his duty to those in the basement. His gives the door a long look then all in the shelter, clearly in moral torment.

Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:35 am
by aine
Mrs Cruckshank gives Story a hard stare. "Really. A young girl savaged by an animal? How did you know it was Nell Murrow? I'm sure you must have been mistaken; it's easy enough in the smog."

listen,25% roll:09

Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:52 am
by Steveoknox24
Seamus greets Eugene with a look of grateful relief.

However, it's quickly wiped away by Story's added details. Going pale, "Did you see any of the creature? Anything at all?"
OOC:   Does Seamus recognize this as similar to what he saw in Whitechapel?  

Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:32 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,No, it doesn't sound like what [b]Seamus[/b] saw. [b]Brook[/b]'s Listen roll (55% skill) in the shelter: [dice]0[/dice] [b]Eddie[/b]'s Listen roll (55% skill) in the shelter: [dice]1[/dice]
Brook Davies,Through the loud din of the air raid above, a pair of footsteps could be heard entering the church and running quickly towards the stairs. [b]Brook[/b] could tell that the footsteps were made by boots, and she could hear a man muttering to himself upstairs in a German-accented voice: "How could it be? They are using monsters against us...it ate [b]Hans[/b]..."
Elizabeth Young/Archie Pennyfeather/Phyllis Cruckshank/Seamus,Through the loud din of the air raid above, a pair of footsteps could be heard entering the church and running quickly towards the stairs.
Brook looked up, startled, her jaw dropping.

Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:00 am
by andyw666
Archie looks toward the door, relieved for the moment from his moral dilemma. "Sounds like another customer."

He heads over to the door with the intention of opening it and calling out to whoever is overhead so they can find the shelter.

Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:25 am
by Mister Ginge
"Wait Reverend," says Eddie. "Let me go up and 'av a look. Can't be too careful."

Eddie grips his ceiling pike and slowly opens the door..

Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:48 pm
by aine
Mrs Cruckshank puts her tea cup down. "Oh my. Yes, it sounds like there's someone else coming down. It's getting quite crowded down here; very warm too." She fans her face. "You holding up Mrs Duncan?" She potters about checking that everyone is as they should be.

She gives Seamus a wide berth except for sniffing loudly as she passes by and eventually stops, sitting on the pew next to Elizabeth and Thorn. She pats Thorn's hand, "Don't worry dear, just another poor soul, lucky he made it here in time!"

Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:39 am
by yockenthwaite
Elizabeth notices Brook's alarm, and is worried. "Are you ok Brook?" she asks, looking at her with concern.

Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:23 am
by andyw666
Archie opens the basement door and calls out to anyone above that there is a bomb shelter here.

Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:07 am
by Mr. Handy
"Yes, dear, I'm fine," Maggie said to Phyllis.

Brook nodded to Elizabeth. "Yes," she said, "but I think it might be a German. But that's impossible, isn't it? The Germans never- they can't be here in London!"

With the door open, Eddie and Archie could see up the stairs. A man in a flight suit was running down them, his boots dark and his uniform the light blue of the Luftwaffe. A Luger pistol rested in a holster on his belt, but he seemed to have forgotten it was there. He looked around with wild eyes, his sandy hair disheveled and his helmet gone.

Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:15 am
by jaysun81
As Story prepared to answer Mrs Cruckshank and Seamus he turns to look in the direction of the door upon hearing Archie mention the possibility of another person.

Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:38 am
by yockenthwaite
Elizabeth gasps with shock, and brings her hand to her face. Like Brook, she cannot understand how this can be happening.

Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:40 am
by ZadokAllen
Eugene looks astounded at the German soldier. "In the name of all that is holy!"

Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:15 pm
by aine
"Goodness me, a real German!" Mrs Cruckshank gets up and scuttles remarkably quickly over to her voluminous handbag and sturdy umbrella. She picks them up and stands there resolutely.

Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:56 pm
by leestriter
Lord Rufus Colville folds up his paper, sets it beside him and stands up. "Now, lets all just remain calm. No one needs to do anything hasty, I''m fluent in German and a talented peacekeeper." Lord Rufus begins speaking to the man in German, trying to find out what is going on and seeing if he can convince the man to throw his weapon aside.

Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:09 pm
by Mister Ginge
Eddie waves his ceiling pike at the stranger in a threatening manner. "Don't make any false moves Fritz," he says, "or I'll 'ave ye!"

Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:42 am
by Mr. Handy
The German raised his hands, as if aware of his surroundings for the first time, and came down the stairs slowly so that all in the shelter could see him. He began speaking rapidly in German.

"A parachutist!" screamed Laura. "It's the invasion!"
Story/Elizabeth/Brook/Benjamin,"I surrender!" the airman said in German. "What is happening?! It's impossible! How can you have such monsters at your command?"
OOC,Everyone may make a Psychology roll. Everyone but [b]Story[/b], [b]Elizabeth[/b], [b]Brook[/b], and [b]Benjamin[/b] may roll Other Language: German.

Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:53 am
by leestriter
Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice] Other Language German(Skill 70) [dice]1[/dice] Psychology (Skill 60)

Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:07 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,You can also use 1d100 instead of 2d10 for your dice rolls.
Lord Rufus Colville,"I surrender!" the airman said in German. "What is happening?! It's impossible! How can you have such monsters at your command?"

Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:21 am
by ZadokAllen
Dice,Psychology 55 [dice]0[/dice] Other Language: German ? [dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:12 pm
by Mister Ginge
Spoiler:
Psychology 25%
[dice]0[/dice]
Other language: German 1%
[dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:32 pm
by yockenthwaite
OOC,Elizabeth trying Psychology roll (stat 47%) [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:46 pm
by leestriter
Lord Rufus asks the German to hand over his gun.

Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:55 pm
by Mr. Handy
Eugene Thomson,[b]Eugene[/b] could tell that the German was extremely terrified, maybe even more frightened than [b]Laura[/b] was. He wasn't scared of them, but of something else. If anything, he seemed relieved to find them here. He was not in his right mind, but he didn't show any sign of hostility.

Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:47 pm
by ZadokAllen
Eugene positions himself between the German and the group, with arms spread and palms open to both parties. “Hold on, Hold on! There may be more to this than meets the eye”. He gives an encouraging nod to Lord Rufus to take his gun. “Let's take this slow and think before we act, we’re not savages here, we’re British!

Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:02 pm
by aine
Mrs Cruckshank narrows her eyes and walks purposely up to the German. She prods him in the chest with the point of her umbrella. "We'll have no nonsense from you, do you hear? You might be a la-de-da airman all bravo and gusto but down here you're the same as us. And we'll have none of that invasion malarkey either." She gives him a hard stare.
rolls,psychology (55%) roll:38, German roll: 43 fail

Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:56 pm
by yockenthwaite
"He said 'I surrender!'" says Elizabeth. "I don't think he's any danger to us."

Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:28 pm
by jaysun81
Hearing the German's words Story looks at his companions for a moment. Turning to the soldier he says loudly over the rest of the group, "How many did you see?"
OOC,Psychology - 90% [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:18 pm
by Mr. Handy
"Kamerad!" cried the German, nodding. Those who were familiar with the language knew that it meant that he surrendered.

Maggie Duncan was not among them, however. She stood beside Phyllis, hefting her bulky handbag in a menacing fashion. "I'm not your bloody comrade, Jerry!" she shouted, puffing herself up and looming over him.

The German looked around in bewilderment and confusion. Finally, he seemed to come to his senses. Delicately, gripping the butt with one thumb and forefinger, he lifted the Luger from its holster and handed it over to Rufus. "Englisch, yes, I speak Englisch." He looked at Story, who had spoken last. "How many what?"
Story/Phyllis,The German was extremely terrified, maybe even more frightened than [b]Laura[/b] was. He wasn't scared of them, but of something else. If anything, he seemed relieved to find them here. He was not in his right mind, but he didn't show any sign of hostility.

Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:58 pm
by jaysun81
Story looks the German in the eye and says says, "Monsters, my dear boy... monsters."

Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:08 pm
by Mr. Handy
The German shivered. "I only saw the one..." he mumbled, looking down at his boots. "It struck our plane. Smashed right through the windscreen and wrapped its tail around Hans, then dragged him out of the cockpit and began...eating him. He was the only pilot, and none of the rest of us could fly the plane, but I wasn't even thinking about it. I just bailed out. How is it that you English control the monsters? I had no idea that such things even existed!"

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:49 am
by leestriter
Lord Rufus is confused and afraid, but, as people often do when confused and afraid, he tried to appear brave and certain of himself.

"First the questions about animal attacks, and now this? Professor Story I believe you are either hiding something from us or are a conman, trying to play on the fears of these poor people! It seems to me that you and this soldier are working together. This story of an animal attacking a plane is ludicrous, and I'm not certain this man is even a real German soldier and not a costumed conman!"

Rufus begins looking over them both in detail, and closing examining the weapon in his possession convinced it is a phony.
Spoiler:
Is there anything realistic that could get Rufus to believe that the man isn't who he says he is

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:15 am
by Mr. Handy
The Luger in Rufus's hand certainly looked real, and its magazine was fully loaded with eight bullets.
OOC,Everyone is supposed to carry an identity card with them that would confirm who they are. The German, if that's what he is, naturally wouldn't have that, though he would have an pair of dog tags that would identify him.

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:20 am
by jaysun81
Shifting his attention to Lord Rufus, Story says, "That's just preposterous Lord Rufus! To suggest I'm working with a man that until a handful of moments ago I'd never laid eyes on is beyond silly." He shakes his head as he runs his right hand through his hair. He continues, "I assure you I'm as much in the dark as you are... aside from seeing the brutal aftermath of the creatures attack. This monster, er animal, is real... and based upon this soldier's comment is probably something we would do well to not seek out. However, if you don't believe me than let us set off and see the body of the young lady." Glancing at Archie he says, "We can even take the good Reverend with us to perform last rites on the poor girl." Story waves at the door, "Shall we go?"

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:34 am
by leestriter
The idea of going out into the bombing terrified him, but he didn't intend to fall for Story's bluff. "If its the only way we can settle this, I suppose we must. I will not let you wrong these people"

Lord Rufus thinks back on all the meetings with the Germans, the documents he'd helped to write. He used to think all men wanted peace, but the war made him realize men are animals, ready to tear each other apart for their whims. He wouldn't let his own foolishness cloud his judgement again, and maybe this would be a way to atone for his failures.

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:09 am
by andyw666
Archie initially stood back, hoping the emotions of the group would flare then settle too something more reasonable before he needed to speak. Hearing Story mention his name seems a good cue. He steps forward and clears his throat, then speaks with his best Cambridgian accent.

"Ladies and gentlemen, this man is an officer and a prisoner of war. However uncivilised war is, we must not allow it to make us uncivilised. We must demonstrate good Christian - ah, sorry Benjamin - good virtues. If nothing else, ask how we want our boys treated if they are taken prisoner?" Archie instinctively looks for someone in uniform to assist and spies Eddie. "Warden, can I rely on you to watch the prisoner but treat him with dignity?"

Next he turn to Rufus and holds out a chubby hand. "Sir, as the only military officer here, I think perhaps I should take the handgun." However politely phrased, this does not sound like a request. And turning to Story, Archie adds, "By all means, let us attend to this poor fallen lass up above."

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:47 am
by ZadokAllen
I volunteer to join the search party”, says Eugene. “I was thinking about checking my car anyway
OOC,Can I do a spot hidden roll for the German, maybe see his dog tags?

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:23 pm
by Steveoknox24
Seamus' world has been shattered. He has spent so long trying to convince himself that the things he has seen were not real. Now, he can no longer do that. "If we're sending a group to the surface, I want to be a part of it," Seamus clearly struggles to keep up his resolve, his cool façade completely broken down. "I knew Nell, everyone in Whitechapel did. I doubt she's alive but she was a good woman," he gives a side-glance at Phyllis, "She deserves a better burial than she got. Furthermore, as much as it pains me to say this, I may have something in common with our new Nazi friend... I've seen the feckin' ting."

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:24 pm
by aine
Mrs Cruckshank pats Mrs Duncan's arm. "It's alright Maggie, we showed him who's boss; look he's trembling in his boots!" Her heart softens a little and, once the German has handed over his gun, she lowers her umbrella and goes to get him a cup of tea. She passes it to him and listens to the conversation.

"Well I for one will NOT be venturing outside until we hear the all clear. Especially in the company of such rude young men." Looking pointedly at Seamus. "It's sounds like everyone has gone loopy out there so I want no part of it, thank you very much."

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:43 pm
by Thorn
Brook glances upwards, not relishing the idea to walk out in the middle of an air raid, or into the maws of a possible monster, but she turns to Story resolutely. "If you're going back up there, so am I."

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:02 pm
by yockenthwaite
"And count me in too," says Elizabeth to her friends. "I'm not staying here without you, air raid and monsters or not." She smiles grimly, little relishing what they might face outside, but determined to be there if need be.

Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:55 am
by leestriter
Rufus gives up the handgun to Archie. He'd hunted some with rifles in his youth but he had no experience with handguns. "Well Professor Story, it looks like we're all going to find out the truth here". Rufus heads out the door.

Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:14 am
by jaysun81
Story nods and says, "Very well." He looks at his companions and as he begins to head towards the door he says to them, "Stay close."

Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:21 am
by yockenthwaite
Elizabeth nods in response to Story's comment, and follows him.

Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:58 am
by andyw666
Archie takes the Luger from Rufus and tucks it in the inside pocket of his jacket. "Thanks old boy."

He looks slightly askance at the number of people planning on heading upstairs. "Ah, not everybody need risk their necks up there. Feel free to stay here." Worth a try.

Turning to the German officer, he adds (enunciating carefully), "You are our prisoner, old son, but you are safe and we will treat you well. Please be on your best behaviour though."
OOC,Does [b]Archie[/b] know what rank the German is? Can he at least count the number of stripes or pips?

Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:53 pm
by ZadokAllen
Eugene follows Story to the stairs.

Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:19 pm
by Mister Ginge
Eddie makes the sign of the Cross, muttering to Felix, "Come on little fella. No rest for the wicked."

He was planning on going back out on his own, but safety in numbers..

Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:51 am
by andyw666
andyw666 wrote:... Archie instinctively looks for someone in uniform to assist and spies Eddie. "Warden, can I rely on you to watch the prisoner but treat him with dignity?"...
OOC:   Is Eddie unwilling to guard the prisoner then? Is anyone going to guard the prisoner?  

Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:19 pm
by Mister Ginge
Spoiler:
OOC:   Whoops! Not unwilling,just missed that bit.  
Eddie gently, but firmly, takes the German by the arm. "You're coming with us, where I can keep my eye on you. What's yer name by the way?"

Eddie plans to get him to the nearest police station as soon as possible, but wants to find out more about the situation first.
Spoiler:
OOC:   Where is the nearest station? Presumably Eddie knows where it is.  

Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:51 pm
by Steveoknox24
"Oh, come now, I bet ye'll be missing me ar-- bottom -- the moment I walk out that door." Seamus comically exaggerates a bow to Phyllis and winks.
OOC:   Would Seamus know where the nearest station is?
With his underworld background he may know to avoid it if he hasn't been brought there a couple times.  

Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:05 am
by andyw666
OOC:   Thanks, Mr Ginge! Problem solved.  
Archie nods appreciatively at Eddie's managing the prisoner.

Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:43 am
by Mr. Handy
"Danke," said the German prisoner, giving Archie a weak smile. "I am Leutnant Friedrich Kurtz," he said, displaying his dog tags which had his name, serial number, blood type, and other sundry information. Archie also recognized the insignia that confirmed his rank. "I have always liked the English. I went to school in England, years ago. I never wished to fight your people. We should have been allies together against the Bolsheviks."

Phyllis remained behind in the shelter with Giles Curry, Maggie Duncan, and Laura. Everyone else went back above.
OOC,[b]Phyllis[/b] is moving to the thread linked below:
Home Front
OOC,Everyone else is moving to the thread linked below:
Into the Storm