IC-Ep 1-The Shelter(Everyone else)

Story, Elizabeth, and Brook arrive in London in September 1940, in the middle of an air raid. They discover the body of a woman who has apparently been killed by something unnatural. They meet air raid warden Eddie Lawlor, who guides them to an air raid shelter where several others have taken refuge. A German airman also arrives, claiming that his bomber was downed by a monster.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

IC-Ep 1-The Shelter(Everyone else)

Post by Mr. Handy »

St. James's Church - London, England
8:30 PM - Saturday, September 7, 1940

There were several people sitting in the air raid shelter in the basement of St. James's Church in Ratcliffe, in East London. The first bombs had fallen in the late afternoon, with the most intense period of bombing between five and seven o'clock. Currently there was a lull in the bombing, though the all clear had not yet sounded. London had until tonight been almost entirely spared, but now the war had come home, and there was no telling when or how it would end.

Lord Rufus Colville sat on a spare pew kept here for storage, reading a newspaper. As a civil servant in the foreign office, he had watched the world situation grow worse and worse from a front row seat, and war had come in spite of his best efforts. Now the war was here, just over their heads. He had had a meeting at a Chinese teahouse in the East End with a Chinese diplomat this afternoon and had arrived a bit early, just in time for the sirens to go off. The foreign diplomat had not yet arrived, and the staff had directed him to this nearby shelter, assuring him that they would tell the man he was due to meet where to find him if he arrived. However, he had not come. Perhaps he had still been en route to the teahouse when the sirens had sounded. If he had taken the Tube, he would not have been permitted to surface and would have had to shelter in an Underground station.

A pretty young lady with blonde hair named Laura, a secretary who worked in an office building not far away, sat in one of the few comfortable chairs that had been brought down here. She had been extremely frightened throughout the raid, wincing every time a bomb fell. Two old women sat in the only other chairs near her. Mrs. Phyllis Cruckshank and Mrs. Maggie Duncan were both elderly widows with oversized handbags, in the neighborhood doing charity work for the Women's Institute. Both of them carried themselves with an air of imposing will. In contrast to Laura, neither of them showed any trace of fear. Phyllis also had a hefty iron umbrella, which rested within easy reach.

Archie Pennyweather, Royal Navy Chaplain, sat on a pew beside the elderly rector of the church, Giles Curry. He had been visiting the church when the sirens had begun, and the rector had shown him down to the shelter. Next to them was Benjamin Klein, an old tailor whose home and place of employment had been nearby. Today had been the sabbath, so he had not been working at the tailor shop. The sun had set by now, which meant that the sabbath was over.

There was also a handsome man in his thirties, Seamus O'Leary. He had been down at the docks arranging a deal for a portion of a shipment of food that had come in on a ship. He would not have had to spend any ration points on it, a convenience he would have passed on to his customers (though with a sizeable markup). Unfortunately, Jerry had decided to pay a visit and interrupted his business. Or perhaps fortunately, if the shipment had been destroyed in the bombing, as he had not yet paid for it.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Pastiche
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Re: IC-Ep 1-The Shelter(Everyone else)

Post by Pastiche »

Benjamin fidgetted nervously on his pew, his small beady eyes darting furtively from one corner of the cellar to another. "Do you think it's already safe to go outside?", he asked the two clergymen. "I'm feeling cooped up in here..."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I wouldn't go up there," said Giles Curry, his voice faint and raspy. "Jerry could come back any time now. The all clear hasn't gone yet, so the danger isn't over. We must have patience. God will see us through this trial."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Steveoknox24
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 6 years 11 months

Post by Steveoknox24 »

Seamus O'Leary picks up his head, he's been completely silent until now. "I'd listen to the old man. The Nazi's are a feckin' unpredictable lot.
Though I fail to see how he can see God through all this carnage."
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 14 years 4 months

Post by andyw666 »

Archie circles around a bit, making sure everyone is as reasonably happy as circumstances will allow. He is his usual effervescently cheery self and when not talking hums "All Things Bright and Beautiful."

To Benjamin he answers, "Best to sit tight till the all clear, old son." Archie extends a hand, "Archie Pennyfeather, at your service."
Pastiche
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Pastiche »

Benjamin shook Archie's hand. "Benjamin Klein, nice to meet you. I live and work at a tailorshop nearby." He lets out a long resigned sigh. "Guess I'll have to have a bit more patience... It's just that I don't like being locked up underground for too long..."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Laura shivered. "I don't much like it either," she said. "I know it's not safe up there, but we might not be safe down here either. If a bomb falls on our heads, we could be buried alive!"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Archie is a bit privately concerned that the group could head into panic.

"Best thing to do is sit tight down here where we're safe. We need something to take our minds off it all. What about a nice sing along? Or I can tell you all some of the history of the area...? Who has the best singing voice? We could have a competition for the best song or other entertainment."
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 7 months

Post by aine »

Mrs Cruckshank snores and splutters awake, "Oh deary me! Did I drop off? Maggie, you should have poked me!" She casts an eye at Laura, "Don't fidget so, young lady! You are perfectly safe down here unless one considers dying of boredom a possibility. Haven't you brought something constructive to do?" She opens her vast handbag and pulls out a large roll of pink knitted wool and some needles. "Under garments." She nods knowingly to Mrs Duncan and starts to knit. "A sing along, how perfectly dreadful." She mutters under her breath.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Hmm?" muttered Maggie Duncan, opening her own eyes. "Sorry, Phyllis. I nodded off myself for a wee bit. Ah, yes, knitting." She burrowed in her own oversized handbag for her needles and a ball of yarn.

"I'm no Vera Lynn," said Laura, "but I'm a decent enough singer. Sure, I'll give it a try." She cleared her throat and began to sing in a sweet, lilting voice:

"We'll meet again,
Don't know where, don't know when,
But I know we'll meet again, some sunny day.
Keep smiling through,
Just like you always do,
Till the blue skies drive the dark clouds far away.
So will you please say hello,
To the folks that I know,
Tell them I won't be long,
They'll be happy to know that as you saw me go
I was singing this song.
We'll meet again,
Don't know where, don't know when,
But I know we'll meet again, some sunny day."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Archie claps his hands enthusiastically. "Bravo! Bravo! What a delightful singing voice you have been blessed with. Gets us all in the heart, that song, eh? Especially when sung so well."

"Now, would anyone else care to share a song? Or does anyone know a good magic trick? Or what about a card game, I'm sure I can rustle up a deck of cards. Gambling for matches and honour only, of course."
Pastiche
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Pastiche »

With a shy smile, Benjamin goes and sits a bit apart from the group, and pulls out a small tattered book out of one of his coat pockets. He leafs through it, and when he finds the passage he's looking for, he starts to read, mouthing the words silently. After a while, he closes the book, nods determinedly, and rejoins the group, a bit more relaxed.
Steveoknox24
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 6 years 11 months

Post by Steveoknox24 »

Seamus O'Leary rolls his eyes at the strange display but allows it to carry on. The less attention they pay to him the better. Eventually, however, the eyes of his fellow shelterers find him. "Sorry but I think it best me sit out choir practice. The only songs I know how to sing aren't fit for present company nor location."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you," said Laura to Archie, blushing and looking down at her feet.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

OOC,Can [b]Archie[/b] find a deck of cards anywhere?
Archie wanders over to the well dressed Rufus. "And what about you, sir? Could you offer a song? Magic trick? Good joke? Above board of course."
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 7 months

Post by aine »

Mrs Cruckshank's needles clitter clatter faster than the eye can see. A voluminous pair of powder pink knickers take shape surprisingly quickly.
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

OOC,[quote="aine"]Mrs Cruckshank's needles clitter clatter faster than the eye can see. A voluminous pair of powder pink knickers take shape surprisingly quickly.[/quote] *LAUGH*
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Rufus looked up from his newspaper. "I'm afraid not," he said with a perfectly straight face. "As a civil servant, I have had my sense of humour surgically removed."
OOC,[b]Seamus[/b] may very well have a deck of cards on him, though they may be marked.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple

Post by andyw666 »

Archie beams at the gathering. "I say, does anyone have deck of cards?"
Pastiche
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Pastiche »

"Would a Tarot deck do?" asks Benjamin? He again reaches into his voluminous pockets and pulls out a ruffled set of cards.

Return to “Episode 1”