Page 1 of 1

IC-Ep 1-Darkness(Story/Elizabeth/Brook)

Posted: Mon May 01, 2017 3:48 am
by Mr. Handy
TARDIS Control Room
In transit through time and space

Story, Elizabeth Young, and Brook Davies stood around the TARDIS console as the time/space vessel swoooshed through the Vortex. They had had a few relaxing stops since their adventure in Rome, where they had parted ways with Lucius Verres. The console room seemed a little emptier without him, but their journeys had taken their toll on him, and he had needed to remain in Rome, in a time not too far from his own. Other than missing him, the three of them were doing well. Story had completely recovered from the beating he had taken at the hands of a beastman under the twisted Senator Scaevola's villa. That had been a terrifying experience, and it had nearly been the end of them. Fortunately, Elizabeth had managed to evade capture and return with help, or she would have been stranded in the ancient past and the rest of them would most likely have died under Scaevolla's sacrificial dagger.
OOC,Feel free to interact and roleplay.

Re: IC-Ep 1-Darkness(Story/Elizabeth/Brook)

Posted: Wed May 03, 2017 9:09 pm
by yockenthwaite
"I still miss Lucius ..." muses Elizabeth sadly to the others. "But it was better that he stayed behind, given everything that he'd been through." She looks at the TARDIS console with interest, wondering where it might take them next.
OOC,I'm assuming that Elizabeth is back in pretty normal clothes for her, most likely a pair of comfortable trousers, with knitted jumper/pullover on top, worn over a white blouse/shirt. And very practical and comfortable flat shoes.

Posted: Thu May 04, 2017 6:56 am
by Thorn
Brook, dressed in her usual black, this time in skinny jeans, black boots and black tank top under an off the shoulder black blouse, wanders the gallery around the console room. She nods a little as Elizabeth speaks, then looks towards Story. "How come the TARDIS has no windows?"

Posted: Fri May 05, 2017 3:01 am
by Mr. Handy
While the TARDIS did not have windows, she did of course have the scanner screen. That was currently closed. Story knew that there was little to see in the TIme Vortex, and what little there was to see was often better off not seen. Once the TARDIS arrived at their destination, it would provide a view of the immediate area outside.

The TARDIS made the familiar wheezing, groaning sound, indicating that they were arriving somewhere, somewhen.
OOC,[b]Story[/b], please roll Pilot TARDIS at double your skill.

Posted: Fri May 05, 2017 4:42 am
by jaysun81
Story looks over at Elizabeth and smiles. He too misses Lucius - their old soldier - but the hardships of traveling in time and space had done a number on the Roman. He turns his attention back to his journal and continues to write.

With Brook's question he closes the little book and with perfect timing sits it on top of the time rotor, he smiles to himself for a brief moment before running his hand through his hair. He looks around the console room and finally directs his gaze to his young companion and says, "You know, I've never actually considered that. I mean there's not much to see, but if a starliner can have windows than I suppose a TARDIS could... if she wanted of course."

Before saying anymore the TARDIS begins it's materialization procedure. Story - dressed in nondescript clothing of various brown tones - reaches for the controls, his hands begin to dance across them.
SUCCESS,Pilot TARDIS - 20% (Doubled = 40%) [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri May 05, 2017 8:51 am
by Thorn
Brook skips down the stairs and moves over to the console to watch, curious. "Where are we? When are we?"

Posted: Sat May 06, 2017 2:10 am
by Mr. Handy
For once, Story landed the TARDIS perfectly. There were no bumps or jolts, and the transition was so smooth that nobody felt it. The time rotor simply stopped moving and the sound stopped to indicate that they had arrived.
OOC,[b]Story[/b], you may roll Navigate to attempt to determine when and where you have arrived.

Posted: Sat May 06, 2017 3:11 am
by jaysun81
"Hmmm, let me see if I can figure it out." Story moves to the other side of the console and pushes a few buttons. After a moment he hits the console and exhales sharply and mumbles something about his lack of skill with the TARDIS. Looking over at Brook he says, "It's a mystery. Thankfully we have a video monitor... assuming I can get it to work." He reaches across the console and presses the button to active the monitor screen.
FAILURE,Navigate - 10% [dice]0[/dice]
*Edited to fix a typo*

Posted: Sat May 06, 2017 4:03 am
by Mr. Handy
Story could determine nothing about where or when they were. Revealing the monitor screen did not prove any more enlightening, for the screen was pitch black. It did seem to be working, as the fault locator wasn't indicating any problems (other than the usual malfunctioning chameleon circuit). There was just no light outside the TARDIS.

Posted: Sat May 06, 2017 11:13 am
by Thorn
Brook peeks at the screen over Story's shoulder, standing on her tip toes. "Maybe it's night. Or we're in a cave or a tunell. Can we breathe outside, you think?"

Posted: Sat May 06, 2017 3:36 pm
by Mr. Handy
The console's instruments reported that oxygen and gravity levels were normal for Earth, and the level of background radiation was normal for any time prior to the atomic era. The temperature outside was a little low, but tolerable.

Posted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:59 am
by yockenthwaite
"Do you think we're still on Earth?" says Elizabeth, walking over to look at what the others are seeing. "Yes, maybe it is night," she says, grinning as she ponders where and when they might be. "Maybe we could peek out and have a look?"

Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 4:27 am
by jaysun81
Story studies the atmospheric readout and looks at monitor as he says, "Well... if we're still on Earth it would be before the atomic era based on these readings." He points at the readout before looking at Brook as he continues, "We may wish to proceed with caution. No one wishes to end up the snack for a pack of velociraptors... or captured by brutish thugs from the Dark Ages." He smiles and looks down at the read out one last time before looking at Elizabeth, "Let's gather up some flashlights and take a peek." He rubs the back of his neck and looks to the monitor once more, hoping that dread isn't lurking in the ink beyond the threshold.

Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 5:18 am
by Mr. Handy
The image on the monitor remained dark as ever. It was easy enough to scrounge up three electric torches. There was one in a cabinet built into the console's hexagonal base, and a couple more were found in a nearby storeroom.

Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:01 am
by Thorn
Brook finds herself a jacket, nighttime could be cold. "Dinosaurs would be cool, though. I've always wondered what they really looked like. I mean, it must be hard to tell from bones and fossils." She grabs one of the torches, then decides to bring her knife as well. "Alright, 'm ready and able," she smiles.

Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:29 am
by yockenthwaite
"Good idea getting a coat Brook!" says Elizabeth, grinning, and getting herself a jacket to wear too. She pauses for a moment, unsure whether to bring her knife, and really preferring to leave it behind. But there could be dangers out there, and she's learned from experience to expect the unexpected. So she reluctantly brings it with her, as well as one of the torches. "Ok, I'm ready now too!" she says.

Posted: Wed May 10, 2017 2:32 am
by jaysun81
Story takes one of the electric torches, tests the charge, and then pulls the door lever. Before the women run out the door he says to them, "Because of the darkness let's proceed with caution. We don't know what dangers... inanimate, or animate await us." Upon saying that he begins to head for the door.

Posted: Wed May 10, 2017 3:07 am
by Mr. Handy
The TARDIS doors opened, and the beam of light from Storys torch revealed a basement of some sort. In one corner stood a boiler, which seemed ordinary to Elizabeth, ancient to Brook, and downright primitive to Story. No heat came from the boiler. There were stacks of crates piled up to the ceiling, from which dangled a bare light bulb that was currently dark. A set of stairs in the corner opposite the boiler led upwards into blackness. On the wall beside the stairs was a button set into a circular setting, no doubt the light switch.

Posted: Fri May 12, 2017 7:08 am
by Thorn
Brook looks at the boiler. "Wow....we're in the past, that's for sure." She glances over at what looks to be the light switch. "Should we try the lights, or wait to announce our presence until we know more about where we are?"

Posted: Sat May 13, 2017 8:01 pm
by jaysun81
Looking around the room as best he could with the electric torch Story says, "Well we definitely don't want to be caught sneaking around in the dark. So perhaps it's best to illuminate our situation."

Posted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:45 am
by yockenthwaite
"The boiler's not that old is it?" says Elizabeth, looking at what Brook is talking about. "Well, not at least to me anyway. Maybe that's a clue?"

Posted: Tue May 16, 2017 4:09 am
by Mr. Handy
Pressing the button caused the light bulb to illuminate the room, the sudden burst of light ruining their night vision. There wasn't much more to see than what they'd already noticed by torchlight, other than the fact that the stairs led up to a closed wooden door. Through the gap between the door and the floor, only darkness was visible.

Posted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:36 pm
by Thorn
Brook shrugs a little. "Looks ancient, but then again anything pre-eighties is ancient to me. I don't know, nineteenhundredandsomething?" She looks to Story. "Do you know?"

Posted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:42 pm
by jaysun81
"Hmmm..." Story looks around and continues, "Well, until we get out of this room I will not be able to say for sure." He moves over to the stairs and begins to walk up them, testing their integrity with each step.

Posted: Sat May 20, 2017 3:36 am
by Mr. Handy
The steps creaked as Story ascended them, but they seemed sturdy enough. All was quiet when he got to the door at the top of the stairs. It opened when he tried the knob, revealing the vast floor of a darkened warehouse. Many more crates were visible, huge stacks of them. Clear pathways led around them straight ahead and to the right. In the distance ahead, on the left wall, was a large loading door as well as a smaller door designed for people to go in and out.
OOC,[b]Story[/b] (and whoever else goes upstairs), please roll Spot Hidden.

Posted: Sat May 20, 2017 9:23 am
by Thorn
Brook follows Story curiously, looking around as they come upstairs. "Looks like a warehouse. Still no clue about the year, though. Perhaps we can find a newspaper."

Spot Hidden [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat May 20, 2017 2:33 pm
by jaysun81
Stepping out of the way so Brook can get through the door he looks around.
FAILURE,Spot Hidden - 38% [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue May 23, 2017 1:47 pm
by yockenthwaite
Elizabeth follows Story and Brook cautiously, looking around her as she goes.

Rolling Spot Hidden (stat 48%) [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed May 24, 2017 4:15 am
by Mr. Handy
Elizabeth Young,[b]Elizabeth[/b] noticed a dead body lying near the small door leading outside, hidden in the shadows of a nearby stack of crates. A trail of blood led across the floor from the door to where the corpse lay. It was of a scantily-clad young woman, her face frozen in an expression of terror. She had been chewed up rather badly by something with large teeth, though from this distance it was hard to tell more. [spoiler][b]Elizabeth[/b], please roll Sanity. Sanity loss is 1/1d4+1. If you lose 5 Sanity, you must roll Idea. If you succeed, you go temporarily insane. If you fail, or if you lose less than 5 Sanity, then you may act freely.[/spoiler]

Posted: Wed May 24, 2017 12:25 pm
by yockenthwaite
Rolling Sanity (stat 61%) [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed May 24, 2017 12:27 pm
by yockenthwaite
"Oh God!" says Elizabeth to the others. "There's a dead body over there, look!" She points out its location to them, shivering with shock, but not feeling as bad as she might have been.

Posted: Fri May 26, 2017 2:16 am
by jaysun81
Story shifts his gaze in the direction that Elizabeth indicated, "It's alright. Keep your eyes peeled." He begins to make his way to the body.

Posted: Fri May 26, 2017 3:40 am
by Mr. Handy
Story began walking in the direction Elizabeth had indicated, followed by his companions. As they got near the small door leading outside, their torchlight illuminated the corpse of a young woman lying sprawled on the floor near the door, in the shadows of a stack of crates. A trail of blood led across the floor from it to the door, where it disappeared underneath. The woman was about twenty years old and was pretty - or at least she had been. Her body had been mangled and chewed by something with large teeth. She wore a low-cut red dress with a short skirt, she had shoulder-length blonde hair, and her cheeks were bright with rouge. A purse was slung over her shoulder, tucked underneath her body. Her face was locked in a grimace of fright, her eyes bulging.
OOC,[b]Story[/b] and [b]Brook[/b], please roll Sanity. Sanity loss is 1/1D4+1. If you lose 5 Sanity, you must roll Idea. If you succeed, you go temporarily insane. If you fail, or if you lose less than 5 Sanity, then you may act freely. If [b]Brook[/b] hasn't returned by the time [b]Story[/b] rolls, I'll roll for her.

Posted: Sat May 27, 2017 8:39 pm
by jaysun81
As Story looks upon the body before them he momentarily looks away and says, "Poor girl." Kneeling beside the corpse he reaches out and attempts to shut her eyelids as he continues, "Whatever did this may be lurking just on the other side of that door. Stay alert."
SUCCESS,Sanity - 77[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sun May 28, 2017 1:27 am
by Mr. Handy
Brook shuddered when she saw the body, but she too was getting used to things like this.
OOC,[b]Brook[/b]'s Sanity roll (current level 70) for seeing the corpse: [dice]0[/dice] [b]Elizabeth[/b], you may roll Cthulhu Mythos. Anyone examining the body may roll Medicine, as well as either Biology or Natural History (whichever is higher).

Posted: Tue May 30, 2017 2:24 am
by yockenthwaite
"What could do that to her?" asks Elizabeth, hesitantly kneeling on the other side of the body, and looking at it more closely.

Rolling Cthulhu Mythos (stat 5%):
[dice]0[/dice]

Rolling Medicine (stat 5%):
[dice]1[/dice]

Rolling Natural History (stat 30%):
[dice]2[/dice]

Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:13 am
by jaysun81
Story looks closely at the body. Though realizing that medicine was never his forte back in the academy he examines the body anyways while saying, "Hmmmm." Standing back up he looks at his companions and says, "I haven't the foggiest."
FAILURE,Medicine - 05% [dice]0[/dice] Natural History - 10% [dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:26 am
by Thorn
Brook looks at the body, sad for the young girl. Checking out her injuries, she tries to discern what could have caused them. She'd seen some strange things the last year, perhaps her guess was as good as any. That gets her thinking. The last year...How long had she really been travelling with Story? Could it be more than a year? Then how old was she now? How could she keep track? She shakes her head a little and looks back at the dead girl.

Brook Medicine [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:24 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I rolled Natural History for you to keep things moving, since you hadn't made that roll. [b]Brook[/b]'s Natural History roll (30% skill): [dice]0[/dice]
Brook Davies,[b]Brook[/b] could tell that whatever had killed the woman was definitely not human. It was a very large creature, judging from the size of the bite marks. It was clearly a carnivore, its teeth obviously designed to rend flesh. Though the body was partially eaten, most of the flesh was still on the bones. The body was still warm, so she had been killed fairly recently, and it was still flexible, as it hadn't gone stiff yet. One other thing struck her: there was not enough blood here to account for everything that should have been in her body. She had to have been killed elsewhere and her corpse deposited here. The trail of blood leading to the door actually led [i]from[/i] it. The door was closed, and animals were not known for their ability to manipulate doors...

Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:11 pm
by Thorn
Brook kneels down, looking at the poor, mangled girl. Then she glances to the trail of blood, and towards the closed door. She says quietly:"She is still warm....This was fairly recent. And I think whatever did it is an animal, a carnivore of some kind. But there's not enough blood here. I think she was killed somewhere else, then was dragged here. Likely through there..." She points to the door. She looks to Story and Elizabeth. "How many animals can manage a door knob?"

Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:18 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,The door in question leads outside.

Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:52 pm
by yockenthwaite
Elizabeth shudders, aghast at the thought of a creature that could do that to a person, and also cope with a door. "I don't know, Brook, I can't imagine anything that could, at least not that I know of. Though I suppose we've seen enough in our travels to know that anything is possible." She pauses for a moment, thinking. "Should we check her purse do you think? Or maybe seek help? Surely there must be some authorities around who should know about this. But then again where - and when - are we ..."

Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:24 am
by jaysun81
Story looks from the girl to the door and says, "Well, it's either back to the Tardis... or we attempt to find out what did this to her and maybe even stop another death. After all, the Tardis always takes us where we are needed."

Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:37 am
by Thorn
Brook stands up again, and moves towards the door, careful not to step in the trail of blood. She reaches slowly for the handle, listening intently for any sound from the outside. Glancing back towards the others, she shrugs a little and tries to open the door.

Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:23 am
by Mr. Handy
The door was not locked, and it opened at Brook's touch. It was just as dark outside as it was inside, but she could feel the chill of the night wind. Shining her electric torch through the open door, she could see a deserted street outside stretching away to the left and right. In the middle of the street was a large pool of blood, from which the trail led right up to and through the door she had opened. It struck her as odd that there were no lights visible at all in what had to be the twentieth century.

Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:55 am
by Thorn
She turns to the others. "Looks like the power's down. It's totally dark out there, no light from any lamp post or windows at all. From the look of things, there should be. I mean...Electricity has been invented and all. I can see where she was attacked, I think. There's a pool of blood in the street."

Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:08 pm
by yockenthwaite
"That is strange," says Elizabeth. "Ok I'm going to check her purse to see if it gives us any clues." She braces herself, and reaches down carefully, trying hard not to touch the body or any blood. She pulls at the purse, to see if she can pull it away from the body, and look inside it.
Spoiler:
OOC,Note I'm assuming by purse you mean the US meaning, which we British would call a handbag. We use a purse for what you would probably call a wallet, i.e. a small container for money, payment cards etc. But I'm assuming this is a handbag, given that it is slung over her shoulder.

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:16 am
by jaysun81
Story edges up beside Brook and leans out the door and says, "Yes... strange indeed." He then places his finger to his lip and proceeds to listen for any sounds of shuffling... or a charging monster.
OOC,Listen - 34% [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:18 am
by Mr. Handy
Elizabeth opened the handbag and looked through it. Inside were various odds and ends, but a few things looked relevant. She had a decent amount of money on her, a good deal more than someone of her social class would be expected to have. The coins and notes for the most part bore the image of King George VI, though many had King George V. They seemed to have various dates in the 1930s, with some as late as 1939 and 1940. There were also two cards in there. One was an identity card that named the deceased woman as Nell Murrow, with an address in Whitechapel, London. The card had been issued in late 1939. Elizabeth knew from personal experience that such cards were introduced in World War Two, but they had been abolished in 1952. There was also a ration card, another familiar sight for Elizabeth, who had lived with rationing for most of her life. It had only ended in 1954, not long before she had joined the TARDIS crew. This card was also in the name of Nell Murrow and had been issued in January 1940.
Story,Now that the door was open, [b]Story[/b] could hear something outside, far above and very distant. It was a faint droning sound, and it seemed more mechanical than beastly. Probably an aircraft of some kind.
OOC,Yes, it's a handbag. I thought I'd been doing well using British words and phrases instead of American ones, but I missed that one. I did correctly use handbag in the air raid shelter thread, at least. I guess I'd better watch more British TV. ;) [b]Elizabeth[/b] and [b]Brook[/b] may roll Listen as well.

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:17 am
by Thorn
Brook listen[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:31 am
by yockenthwaite
"Ok ..." says Elizabeth, slowly processing the information. "The coins in her handbag are mainly from King George VI's time plus some from King George V, and most importantly she has a ration card in here, issued in 1940, and a wartime identity card, issued in 1939. You say it's dark outside Brook, as though the power's out? I think this might be World War Two, and it's dark because of the blackout. Her handbag also reveals her name, poor thing. She was Nell Murrow from Whitechapel, London. So we're in London? She also has a lot of money in here, more than I would expect." She closes the handbag, and puts it back down carefully beside the body.

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:34 am
by yockenthwaite
Elizabeth rolling Listen (stat 42%)
[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:46 am
by Thorn
Brook quickly switches off her flashlight. "Oh...blackout. Perhaps we shouldn't let any light out then." She listens for any noise.

Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:01 am
by Mr. Handy
Just before Brook switched off the torch, all three of them heard a man shouting outside in the distance: "Cor blimey! Who the bloody 'ell's that?!" This was followed by the sound of a bicycle approaching from the same direction. They could also hear a faint droning sound outside, far above and very distant, most likely aircraft. Elizabeth hadn't heard all that many planes growing up in rural Scotland during the war, though some (almost always Allied) had flown over from time to time on their way somewhere else. While she could not identify the exact type of aircraft, she could tell by the noise that they were heavier planes, which meant bombers - and there were more than a few of them...

Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:02 am
by yockenthwaite
"That sounds like bomber planes coming in, and fast. Can we seek shelter anywhere do you think?" says Elizabeth urgently to the others. "Outside, maybe where those voices are?"

Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:30 pm
by Thorn
Brook nods, then looks outside towards the sound of the bicycle and the man's voice calling. "Uh, yeah, sorry about that. Do you know of a shelter nearby?" she calls back.

Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:15 pm
by yockenthwaite
Elizabeth goes quickly over to beside Story and Brook, ready to run to any shelter as soon as possible. Having grown up in the War, albeit in a rural area, she is only too painfully aware of the need for speed.

Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:18 pm
by Mr. Handy
As Elizabeth caught up to Story and Brook, a man in his forties appeared in the open doorway, looking inside. He wore a dark uniform and a round white helmet with a brim. Black letters "ARP" were on the helmet.
OOC,Eveyrone is moving to the thread linked below:
The Storm Breaks