IC

In the years after the oceans drank Atlantis, and long before the brothers Romulus and Remus founded their great city, there was the age of Hyboria. A time lost to history, a time of savage swords and strange sorcery...

Moderator: Cotton

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: IC

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We've come to an arrangement with the caretaker of this shrine," says Claudius, not mentioning the fact that said caretaker is a disembodied voice. "Some of the people of the sort we fought before are squatting in the great hall. If we capture one of them alive and bring him back bound, leave, and return the next day at this time, then the caretaker will get rid of the rest of them and allow us to keep the treasures that remain."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Post by Rooter »

"Who will accompany us to the Great Hall?" Fenn adds, looking over the various mercenaries. "I suggest Arethus and the other Nemedians remain here to guard our backs."
Cotton
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 3 months

Post by Cotton »

There is some muttering among the group of sellswords. Finally Arethus holds up a hand to silence the men, and says, ”You spoke with this caretaker? The conversation was muted somewhat by the wall dividing the rooms but, by Mitra’s bones, we heard only the three of you speak aloud.”

The big, Aesir man squints at the trio, hand on the hilt of his blade. He spits the word ”devilry”, and if words were weapons this one would be sharpened to a razor’s edge.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Claudius looks to Anakunaisi, who is far more knowledgeable in the ways of magic than he is. It comes as a surprise to him that their companions outside did not hear the voice.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Fenn, meanwhile, squares up to the Aesir with one hand on his own sword hilt. "Perhaps if you had the guts to face what lies in that tomb you would not be so quick to speak of devilry, Aesir."
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Post by evil_scientist »

Anakunaisi is surprised, too, although such things as a voice only sounding in one's mind is not unheard of.

"The caretaker might as well be the devil's spawn. But unlike the fish god's cultists, he is ready to converse and understands reason. Let's not forget: we came here on a mission, and you are soldiers."
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
Cotton
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cotton »

OOC:   I'm going to call for a fast talk or persuade roll from Anakunaisi and Fenn to keep everybody in line.  
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

OOC:   Persuade 30%[dice]0[/dice]  
Fenn can see the Aesir wilting under the force of his determination.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Anakunaisi
Fast talk 40%

[dice]0[/dice]

Hopefully Fenn's persuasive power is enough...
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
Cotton
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cotton »

The Aesir sees something in Fenn's eyes and decides, perhaps for the first time in his life, that discretion maybe the better part of valor. With the most vocal detractor quelled the rest of the men fall in line for now.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Right," says Claudius. "Let's head for the great hall. We'll approach with stealth." His own doubts are allayed by Fenn's words.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Fenn nods. "We only need to capture one of the cultists so perhaps it is best that only a small group venture within instead of entering into a full battle. Arethus and the others who are too cowardly to follow can stand guard." He sneers at the Aesir.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Anakunaisi prepares his weapons, and gets ready to sneak in. He approves the plan.
Cotton
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cotton »

The whole of the scouting party ventures back into the night. Arethus sets up duos and trios of men in a half circle around the long hall's entrance as quietly as possible. Then, Anakunaisi, Claudius, and Fenn creep to the large building. The doors are rotted and rusted and so getting them open stealthily require a few minutes work, but the trio manage to get in. The first thing they notice is a light coming from near the back of the hall. It is pale and slightly green tinged but is still surprising in the pitch blackness the scouts had grown accustomed to. The second thing is a fog that floats around the ankles of the three men, but grows thicker and fills more of the room the closer it gets to it and the green light's source.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Claudius unsheathes his massive greatsword, leaving his bow shouldered. The bow wouldn't help them take anyone alive, nor would he even be able to see a target through the fog until he was too close to use it. He could always hit someone with the flat of the blade to knock him unconscious. He leads the way toward the light, trying to be as silent as possible.
OOC,Sneak roll (50% skill) walking towards the light: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Fenn follows with sword in hand, scanning the darkness for signs of movement. "What manner of fog is this?" he whispers to Anakunaisi. "Surely it is no natural thing."
Spoiler:
Spot Hidden 50%[dice]0[/dice]
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Anakunaisi racks his mind: has he seen anything like this fog before?
OOC,[b]Occult 25%[/b] [dice]0[/dice]
In the meantime, he readies his bow.
Cotton
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cotton »

The trio creep along towards the fog bank, but can not see what, if anything, lies within. Anakunaisi is certain that what lies before them is no natural fog; it is made specifically to partly blind and deafen any that traverse it. However, he is also certain it is made to guard an entrance of some sort; if they want to find the cult the trio will have to go through it.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Anakunaisi

"Witchery and deception... The passage is hidden in the depth of the fog," ANakunaisi shares his insight with the others.

He moves into the the vile mist, carefully looking for a way forward.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Claudius strides silently into the mist.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Expedition into the Border Kingdom”