IC

In the years after the oceans drank Atlantis, and long before the brothers Romulus and Remus founded their great city, there was the age of Hyboria. A time lost to history, a time of savage swords and strange sorcery...

Moderator: Cotton

Cotton
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 2 months

IC

Post by Cotton »

Our story begins in the area of the Kingdom of Nemedia known as The Northern March. Our bold adventures (the Brythunian Fenn, the Turanian Anakunaisi, and the Aquilonian Claudius) have gathered here with other mercenaries, sellswords, and soldiers of fortune to answer the call of the Nemedian nobleman Sabbatius Theophanes. Lord Theophanes has offered a large sum of money in exchange for protecting himself and the workers under his employ when they journey into the lawless and wild lands of the Border Kingdom. The purpose of this expedition, according to the noble, is to recover artifacts and heirlooms from a keep that belonged to one of his ancestors during the time of the Empire of Acheron.
Cotton
Keeper
Keeper

Re: IC

Post by Cotton »

Arethus

Between the workers and slaves, Man-at-Arms that serve his household, hired mercenaries, and horse drawn wagons, lord Theophanes has gathered a small army for this voyage. The three of you have been picked to serve in the expedition’s vanguard. You and several others will head into the Border Kingdom one day in advance of the rest of the caravan in order to scout ahead. The leader of the vanguard is Theophanes’ sergeant, a Nemedian named Arethus. In addition to yourselves and Arethus, the advanced guard consists of: nine of Theophanes’ foot soldiers (all Nemedian), two Aesirs (one male, one female) who appear related, a tanned Corinthian woman, a Hrykanian on horseback, a red-headed Brythunian, a Kushite with many scars, and a bearded and thin Zamoran.

You have one day before you begin your march into the Border Kingdom. You leave at dawn. Is there anything you do beforehand?
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Post by Rooter »

After checking over his gear, Fenn offers a brief greeting to the Turanian Anakunaisi whom he once traveled with before, but studiously avoids the rest of the mercenaries -- particularly the other Brythunian -- and mingles with the Nemedians, hoping to pick up some news or gossip.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Claudius keeps his sword sharp with his whetstone, and he gets in some sparring and archery practice to keep his combat prowess likewise sharp. He does mingle with the others to learn what he can, particularly about the land to which they are going. He does not trust the Zamoran, though he does not let it show.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 4 months

Post by evil_scientist »

Anakunaisi

Anakunaisi, the Turanian, greets Fenn too, but doesn't force conversation. They will have plenty of time for that on the road... He walks around the place, casually juggling a couple of apples in his hands.

He steers towards a bigger group of mercenaries, and joins the conversation at an appropriate moment.

"Quite a force here. Do you know, are we to expect any specific trouble -- other than the usual Border Kingdom brigands?
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
Cotton
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cotton »

Fenn finds a few of the Nemedian soldiers who were picked for the vangaurd in a group around one of the campfires. He overhears the oldest looking one, whom the others call Paulus, talk about the time that he had pursued a couple of thieves into the Border Kingdom. Apparently, he had found both the men stripped naked and drowned. Paulus says that he fled so quickly that he forgot to bring back proof that the men were dead. The other Nemedians mock his story, and call him a drunk.

Claudius, because he is keeping an eye on him, notices that the Zamoran keeps to himself and does not eat or drink any of the food in the camp. He also learns that the Border Kingdom is a forlorn and rainy place, and that there are no real paths or roads in it so traveling is slow going. Is Claudius only going to practice, or will he try to make some money by out-sparring and out-shooting others in the camp?

Anakunaisi's juggling impresses a few of the other mercenaries, most of whom appear deep in their cups. In answer to his question, one Aquilonian replies that the large force is because the harriers of the Border Kingdom have recently become more organized and aggressive. Another member of the crowd, one of the Nemedians picked for the vanguard, insists that nothing in the Border Kingdom has changed. He says that the number of people here is a result of lord Theophanes becoming increasingly paranoid as of late. The two men begin a drunken argument that quickly devolves into shoving and punching.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Fenn does not so easily discredit Paulus' story as the other men. He observes Arethus, the leader of the vanguard from the corner of his eye. Does he seem a hardened soldier or the foolish sort who will get them all killed?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Claudius is eager to compete in both sparring and archery, both to earn some extra money and to see what his fellow mercenaries can do.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Cotton
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cotton »

OOC:   Wruter: roll insight on Arethus.
Mr. Handy: roll bow for competing in archery and either great sword or hand-to-hand for whatever kind of melee sparring your going to try.  
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

OOC:   Insight 40%[dice]0[/dice]  
Fenn thinks he has the measure of Arethus.
Cotton
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cotton »

Arethus mingles in with the other soldiers, mostly his fellow Nemedians,but does not appear drunk or rowdy like quite a few of the men assembled here. He also carries himself like someone who has some training and combat experience. Fenn thinks that perhaps this man was picked to lead the vanguard for reasons other than the usual Nemedian nepotism.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Claudius proves to be an excellent shot with the bow, but he is outmatched when it comes to swordplay.
OOC,Bow roll (60% skill) in the archery competition: [dice]0[/dice] Great Sword roll (70% skill) in the sparring matches: [dice]1[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Cotton
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cotton »

Claudius finds that he is better shot than quite a few of the mercenaries assembled, and wins thirty copper pieces as a result. Unfortunately, he is bested in the melee competition.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Satisfied by what he has seen of the vanguard leader, Fenn turns his attention to Lord Theophanes: he has an instinctive mistrust of nobles' intentions, having lived under the yoke of Brythunia's petty lords. He casually mentions to Paulus that the Nemedian lord seems generous with his coin for this expedition.
Cotton
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cotton »

Paulus takes a swig from a wine skin before replying. "Mmm, the young Lord grew up hearing many tales of his proud Acheronian heritage, and I'm afraid they went to his head. His father, Mitra protect his soul, would never have done something like this. Inviting Aquilonians onto our land." He gestures towards where Claudius is demonstrating his skill with a bow, and spits. "Tell me, Brythunian, do the lords of your land choose such dangerous activities to occupy their time?"
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"Only dangerous to those without the benefit of noble birth," Fenn mutters darkly. "It is well, then, that we have such a force at our disposal if the Border Kingdom is as dangerous as you say. I care not for your lord's follies or for Acheronian legends as long as the money is good and my sword is in my hand." Despite the bravura of his words, he resolves to look after his own skin first as always, lords be damned.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Claudius graciously congratulates his fellow warriors on their swordsmanship and praises their efforts with the bow, though few of them are a match for his archery skills.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Cotton
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cotton »

"I'll gladly drink to that," says Paulus, raising his drink.

The other competitors applaud you're skill with a bow and make jokes such as: "You're sure your not Hrykanian?" and "Glad you're on our side."

OOC:   Unless there's any last minute things you want to do we'll move forward with the expedition.  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,I'm good to move forward.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 4 months

Post by evil_scientist »

Anakunaisi is ready to move.
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner

Return to “Expedition into the Border Kingdom”