IC

In the years after the oceans drank Atlantis, and long before the brothers Romulus and Remus founded their great city, there was the age of Hyboria. A time lost to history, a time of savage swords and strange sorcery...

Moderator: Cotton

Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Re: IC

Post by Rooter »

With the prospect of a dawn start, Fenn retires early for the night.
Cotton
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 2 months

Post by Cotton »

Dawn breaks and Arethus leads the three of you and the rest of the scouting party into the Border Kingdom. At first, the path you are on is trodden often enough by merchants trying to avoid Nemedian tariffs that it resembles a road, but all too soon the paths are completely over taken by nature. The going is slow. The men at the front of the scouting party must often clear the brush in front of them with hatchets, and those with horses end up leading them more than riding them. As the hours wear on you all notice a disturbing trend. More and more you see that someone, group, or thing has decorated multiple dead trees with the skulls of various creatures (mostly cattle or deer but also humans, canines, and rodents).
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"Did you see such a thing when you were last in the Border Kingdom?" Fenn asks the oldest Nemedian Paulus, eyeing the human skulls in particular.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"It reminds me of some of the things the Picts do to frighten intruders," comments Claudius.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 4 months

Post by evil_scientist »

Anakunaisi

"My tribe used to put up the skulls of cattle and old horses to mark our territory," says Anakunaisi, the Turanian fighter. He doesn't mention the human skulls his devious witch lord of a master used to bury around his dominion...
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
Cotton
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cotton »

Paulus responds, "Aye, I saw a couple of trees ornamented like this, but not nearly as many as these." As you keep moving Arethus shouts to the party, "I believe that the Aqulonian and the Turanian have the right of it. From what I understand, the warlords and larger outlaw groups use things like this to mark there territory here. Everyone stay on alert, and report any activity no matter how benign seeming." After this announcement you all hear the male Aesir, who goes by Osvald, say: "No shit Southerner. If part of your job is stating the obvious you're well suited to it." If Arethus hears this he makes no reply.
Cotton
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cotton »

Another hour passes, with only a couple of the more nervous men in the party pointing out what is clearly small animals making their way through the underbrush, and the vanguard reaches a clearing in the woodland. Arethus declares that this will be the spot the party stops to feed and water their horses and themselves. He puts Anakunaisi, two of the Nemidians, and the Zamoran on the first watch.

OOC:   1. Fenn
2. Claudius
3. Anakunaisi
[dice]0[/dice]
Anakunaisi give me either a Listen or Spot Hidden roll you're choice. Fenn and Claudius give me a Listen roll at -10% since you are not specifically standing guard.  
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

OOC:   Listen 30%[dice]0[/dice]  
Busy chewing his rations, Fenn sits near the two Aesir, observing them curiously -- the woman in particular -- more than paying attention to the surroundings.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Anakunaisi

Spot Hidden 50%

[dice]0[/dice]

Anakunaisi pays attention... to his meal.
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

All seems quiet to Claudius,
OOC,Listen roll (55 -10 = 45% skill) at the campsite: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Cotton
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cotton »

OOC:   I'll roll for the other men on guard now.
Nemedian #1: Listen 55% [dice]0[/dice]
Nemedian #2: Listen 50% [dice]1[/dice]
Zamoran: Spot Hidden 85% [dice]2[/dice]  
The scouting party is resting and eating in the clearing when suddenly one of the Nemedeans standing watch calls out that he hears what seems like multiple people approaching from the woods. At the same time, the Zamoran yells in his broken Nemedean that he sees the glint of steal; he is indicating the opposite direction of where the other soldier pointed. The other members of the party, now aware of the ambush, are scrambling around trying to prepare for it. All too soon, the arrows start flying.
OOC:   Go ahead and post your first action and we'll go by Dex order. Since none of the bandits have actually attacked yet, if you want to try to pick out individuals moving in the woods you'll need to make another spot check.  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Claudius also sees the glint of metal and unshoulders his bow. In one rapid motion, he pulls an arrow from his quiver, nocks it, and sends it straight into the head of one of the attackers. His preference is to shoot an enemy archer if he can see one.
OOC,Spot Hidden roll (55% skill) at the campsite: [dice]0[/dice] Bow roll (60% skill) shooting at an ambusher: [dice]1[/dice] Damage to ambusher from impaling arrow: [dice]2[/dice]+[dice]3[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

OOC:   Spot Hidden 50[dice]0[/dice]  
Spotting the ambushers moving among the trees Fenn takes cover from the arrows and thrusts his sword at the first attacker to emerge from the forest.
OOC:   Short Sword 60[dice]1[/dice]  
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Anakunaisi

Spot Hidden 50%

[dice]0[/dice]

For Anakunaisi, the ambushers form a chaotic, whirling mess. He would want to get a better look at them, but at this point, he simply lets an arrow into this shapeless enemy...

Bow 50%
[dice]1[/dice]
Damage
[dice]2[/dice]
Damage bonus
[dice]3[/dice]
Cotton
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cotton »

The clearing erupts into chaos as arrows and bandits appear from seemingly every direction. The screams of fighting and dying men and the clash of metal fill your ears, and the world narrows as you are enveloped in the fog of war.

Fenn:
Spoiler:
The point of your sword meets a wooden shield as the bandit holding it rounds on you with his spear. His face twists into a snarl of hate as he thrusts the weapon at you.
OOC:   [dice]0[/dice]
[dice]1[/dice]
He does 6 damage to you (minus whatever your armor defend against) unless you dodge or block it  
Anakunaisi:
Spoiler:
You can't be sure if your shot finds its mark because as soon as you've loosed the arrow the ambushers reply by way of javelin. Fortunately, you are able to move quickly out of the way.
OOC:   [dice]2[/dice]  
Claudius:
Spoiler:
The ambushers respond in kind to your arrow. You are able to pick out an archer and a crossbowman before you need to find cover.
OOC:   [dice]3[/dice]-bow
[dice]4[/dice]-crossbow  
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

OOC:   Short Sword 60%[dice]0[/dice]  
Fenn manages to block the spear thrust with his sword then launches a counter-thrust.
OOC:   Short Sword 60%[dice]1[/dice]  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

While Claudius knows that a crossbow bolt is deadlier than an arrow, he also knows it will take the crossbowman some time to reload, so he shoots at the bowman first. Now behind cover, he whips out a second arrow, which flies unerringly to its target.
OOC,Bow roll (60% skill) shooting at the archer: [dice]0[/dice] Damage to archer from impaling arrow: [dice]1[/dice]+[dice]2[/dice] Wow! :shock: 20 damage!
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Cotton
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cotton »

Fenn:
Spoiler:
You are thrown off balance by having to block the bandits attack, and as a result your attack misses. "Your skull is mine outlander!", he shrieks in Nemedian, taking another stab at you.
OOC:   [dice]0[/dice]
[dice]1[/dice]  
Claudius:
Spoiler:
The bowman attempts to find cover but is too slow. Your arrow finds his neck, however, and he collapses trying to contain the life spilling from him. The other bandit is not eager to join his two friends, and so drops his crossbow and rushes you. The large man quickly crosses the distance between the two of you and attempts to bury his ax in you.
OOC:   [dice]2[/dice]- dodge
[dice]3[/dice]- ax
[dice]4[/dice]
[dice]5[/dice]  
Anakunaisi:
Spoiler:
There's no rest for the wicked, your former master would often proclaim. You find that there is truth in this statement, as, having just dodged a javelin, you spot its thrower, taking aim at you again.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Claudius hastily slings his bow and unsheathes the massive great sword he carries on his back. Demonstrating that he is a devastating swordsman as well as a deadly archer, he grips the hilt in both hands and tries to cleave his attacker.
OOC,I'll also use the great sword to parry him if he survives this attack. Great Sword roll (70% skill) attacking the crossbowman: [dice]0[/dice] Damage to crossbowman from great sword: [dice]1[/dice]+[dice]2[/dice] Great Sword roll (70% skill) parrying the crossbowman: [dice]3[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

OOC:   Short Sword 60%[dice]0[/dice]  
Again Fenn blocks the attacker's blow and desperately tries to go on the offensive.
OOC:   Short Sword 60%[dice]1[/dice]  

Return to “Expedition into the Border Kingdom”