Green Box/Earl's Rent-A-Space

Lafontaine, Missouri, is paralyzed by an ice storm. Delta Green has received a silent alarm from a storage unit in the city and needs eyes on the ground. (Content warning: body horror and sexual violence.)

Moderator: leestriter

leestriter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 8 months

Green Box/Earl's Rent-A-Space

Post by leestriter »

Earl’s Rent-a-Space is open around the clock to those with a code to the razor-wire fence gate. Each unit has its own padlock. A gigantic tree limb snapped off, crushing a number of units on the side of the property facing the highway.Unit 0171 is among the damaged storage spaces. The gate to the facility remains locked,but another limb has smashed part of the chain-link flat and allows entry.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Re: Green Box/Earl's Rent-A-Space

Post by HoneyDog »

Scott

Brian doesn't see anyone else around, including the other members of his team. Caution tells him to wait, but after examining the body he’s afraid of what might happen if they don’t act now.

He climbs through the gap in the fence, moving towards Unit 0171.
leestriter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by leestriter »

At Earl’s Rent-a-Space unit 0171, a giant tree limb that had been growing overhead snapped under the weight of the ice, caving in the walls and ceiling. Everything inside lies in a jumbled heap of boxes, plastic evidence bags, and icy wood. The security system, a motion sensor plugged into the main power line and built with a phoneline to send its alarm to Mills and to Delta Green is a smashed wreck. More disconcerting than the breach is the footprint found in the snow at the inside corner of the unit.It’s recent and lies next to a frozen pile of bloody vomit.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Scott

Brian looks at the footprint and the vomit. “Skip Mills?” he wonders.

He takes out his cellphone and takes a picture of the footprint. “Why only one?” He sends it to Mike's cellphone with instructions to try and match it to any of Mill's footwear, and to interview Mills or search his place before coming to the storage unit.

Removing an evidence bag and vinyl gloves from his pockets, he scoops up some of the vomit for later analysis.

Next he begins to look through the contents of the unit.
Last edited by HoneyDog on Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
leestriter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by leestriter »

Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice]
leestriter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by leestriter »

A live canary looks back at you, sitting on a perch in a silver cage. The cage has no food or water but the bird seems fine. Dust and cobwebs in the box suggest an advanced age, and a long period of complete inactivity.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Scott

“What on earth?” whispers Brian in amazement.

“I’d better take this one with me” he thinks. He continues looking around.
OOC,The other group will have to acknowledge Brian's instructions at some point.
leestriter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by leestriter »

You find a pane of glass with the biohazard symbol on it. You might wanna call in what you find.
Spoiler:
I'll mention the call on their thread
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Scott

Brian's stomach turns over when he hear's Mike's news. He calls Hill and tells him about the symbol and the possible exposure of Mills.

“We need a hazmat team out here now Hill. I don’t care what it takes, you need to make it happen. You can’t expect the three of us to clear this mess up”.
leestriter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by leestriter »

Scott

"I can't have a clean up team out there for another 48 hours, and they won't be there to ask questions. Q-Cell doesn't have a lot of fucking options right now. I don't care what you have to do, you have full discretion but know that if this second team comes in a lot of innocent lives are gonna be lost. We need the rest of the green box inventoried to be sure exactly what might be out there. From what you've sent us just make sure that pane does not shatter and keep that bird in that cage and under no circumstances feed it. I really wish I could tell you what to look for but A-Cell has my hands tied on this one." Hill is still on the line.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Scott

“What are you talking about, ‘innocent lives will be lost’? I need a hazmat team to prevent lives from being lost. Whatever was here, well, it’s likely it’s out, and it needs containing. Now you need to tell whoever in A-cell to get off their asses, or I’ll be forced to call in the CDC. I mean it Hill. You have 24 hours, not 48. I’ll call you back when I’ve finished the inventory and you can give me an update.”

He hangs up the phone, shaking in frustration. He continues checking through the storage unit.
leestriter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by leestriter »

Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice]
leestriter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by leestriter »

A large list printed on yellowed computer stock, accordion-folded. It is easily forty inches thick. Each entry contains the single exacting description of a pair of hands:“Caucasian. Male. Glove size large/23 cm. Unkempt nails,bite marks on the thumbs. Wedding band tan-line, but no ring for 3 years and 2 months previous. Black hair on knuckles. Scar on left metacarpal from carving accident in woodshop, fall semester 1994.” Reading the entire list reveals that Agent Scott's own hands are on the list, followed by the hands of whomever touches the list next. There are thousands more entries on the list after those. The last two entries read “...used to staunch puncture wound.Abdomen. Mortal: ruptured spleen and perforated bowels.Death in 2 min 19 seconds” and, finally, “Flames.”
Spoiler:
1d4 San Loss and gain one point of unnatural skill
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Scott
SAN,SAN 49: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/539882]SAN[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]60[/b]
SAN loss,[url=http://orokos.com/roll/539887]SAN damage[/url]: [u]1d4[/u] [b]2[/b]
The list of hands details the future - how can that be possible? Only God knows the future. And what does 'flames' mean? Simply that the list is destroyed, or something worse? Brian's faith is beginning to weaken, and there is nothing he can do to stop it.
leestriter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by leestriter »

Only one box remains.
Hundreds of yellow legal pads contain failed drafts of Escaping Altimira, an unpublished novel by one-off 1960s literary star Ryan Whitehead. The paper is smeared with moisture. Sifting through the decades of drafts eventually leads to Whitehead’s initial Amazon notes (Handout B) and his eventual suicide note (Handout A). There is also an ammo box with Portuguese lettering on the side; reveals it to be Brazilian from the 1960s. The metal has been bent and crushed from the inside, where thousands of tiny scratch marks can be seen.
Here’s a summary of what can be learned from studying
the handout:
»»An unnatural thing cut from the mouth of Albert
Capchka was what escaped from GB 224.
»»The thing is from a tropical climate.
»» Sex and violence are dangerous temptations often
confused by those affected.
»»The thing in the ammo box is somehow connected
to a hooting sound in the trees.
»»Whitehead was driven to a life of reclusive madness
by the events in the Amazon.
Spoiler:
link to hand outs: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzMCw ... FdsS3ZzZ2M you will need to probably download the file to see all the pages, I can try a different format if you want there should be 6 pages
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Scott

Brian finishes reading the notes. “I guess Skip Mills opened the box” he says to himself. “I need to get to the others”.

He calls Mike as he walks back to the car.
OOC,He'll try calling Mike and failing that Sarah. If no-one answers he'll try the radio. He will then call Hill and tell him his findings. I'll leave it up to you to decide, Lee, if the others are able to answer or not.
leestriter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by leestriter »

No answer from Mike or Sarah on the phone or the radio.

Hill answers, "Q-Cell's only objective now is to find all the infected and eliminate this infestation by any means possible. Backup is on the way but no one will be there for at least another day. The isolation there in Lafontaine won't last long and we can't let these things escape. Do whatever is necessary"

A strange sound seems to be coming from the darkness, a hooting intermixed with lots of strange clicking sounds, the strange jungle sound seems to come from the distance all around you.
Spoiler:
If they find time to answer I'll edit the post but they are occupied at the moment. Do a drive to see if you make it in the car, you probably won't make it there before fighting is over but the roll is to see if you get stuck somewhere et
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Scott

Brian's blood runs cold as he hears the noises. Is there more than one now? How can they stop the spread?

He needs to get to the others. He jumps in the cruiser, hoping he can find his way. He’s thankful he asked Mike for Mill’s address earlier.
Drive,Drive 20: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/540105]Drive[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]12[/b]
leestriter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by leestriter »

Scott

The whole drive Brian swears he sees movement in the darkness behind the cruiser. The sounds never seem to grow any more distant. Despite the distraction, Brian handles the car well. He hears someone call in an altercation at Skip Mills address over the radio.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Brian thumps the steering wheel in frustration when he hears the call. He hopes he’s in time, but the address is so far from his location.

Return to “Lover in the Ice”