The Eyes of a Stranger

Victorian Horror. A fashionable London party, a murder in mysterious circumstances...

Moderator: Rooter

Pastiche
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 6 years 11 months

Re: The Eyes of a Stranger

Post by Pastiche »

James.png
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:
Spoiler:
Know 1/2 = 47%[dice]197901:0[/dice]
"I can't help but think that the police have overlooked something, Professor," he remarks. "I, for one, would like to take a look at the butler's room."
"My thoughts exactly! I do suggest we go over that place again with a fine comb!
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Post by Rooter »

Scrutinizing the Inspector's manner, Miss Poole perceives no intent to deceive; beneath his gruff exterior Cleveland seems genuinely shaken by Constable Baker's death and bewildered by recent events. At Miss Siddons' declaration his eyes widen in astonishment. "Mr. Bidwell massacred aboriginals? What nonsense is this?"

James Powell:
Spoiler:
OOC:   The Know roll is at half score so that's a fail unfortunately.  
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 2 months

Post by Priest »

Clergyman.jpg
Absolom Peredue Somerhayes

“I do believe that Miss Siddons is referring to the massacring of Australian Aborigines by Mr Bidwell recorded in the journal which Sergeant Mulverhill confiscated in Bidwell’s study this morning. If you wish to know more about this and any possible ‘Ripper’ connections I suggest you read the journal for yourself. I am sure the good sergeant has it safe” Absolom favour the inspector with his most enigmatic smile as he turns to follow the others from the room.
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Mister Ginge
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 7 years

Post by Mister Ginge »

Cecil Copeland

Cecil decides it would be beneficial to their unofficial investigation if matters could be pursued at the late Bidwell's address.
Spoiler:
1/2 Know = 30%
[dice]0[/dice]
The cube has him flummoxed.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Post by HoneyDog »

Ann Veronica fixes the Inspector with an even gaze.

“Look Inspector, you seem like a decent enough man. At least, you seem to want to get to the bottom of this. Now, all of us have just got mixed up in it by accident. But these people aren’t stupid, and if you listen to them, they might help you solve this mystery. And you might want to start by questioning exactly what Mulverhill’s involvement is.”

Ann Veronica takes her leave. She is curious to return to Bidwell’s home with the others, but three days without fresh garments is too much. Perhaps she can take a cab there in the morning.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, that is what I meant," says Diane. "The journal also mentions a place called Yekub, where he was trying to get to - or get back to. Maybe it's in Australia? I heard Bidwell mutter it last night, shortly before the attack."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Inspector Cleveland looks thoughtful.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

That night...
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Mr. McKerry, Reverend Somerhayes, Professor Powell, Mr. Copeland and Miss Siddons:

The Bidwell house stands dark and foreboding when you arrive. A cold, damp fog billows around you, chilling you to the bone while the gaslamps just barely cut through the fog, shrouding everything in thick shadows.

The door stands ajar. Inside, the building is cold and silent, but otherwise as you last saw it this morning: the place is still in disorder from the previous night's party, and nothing appears to have changed, except--

A small, pale figure paces nervously in the foyer, inhaling pinches of snuff with unsteady fingers; he rushes forward at your arrival.

"My friends, I knew you would come!" cries the psychic Godfrey Williamson, in evident agitation. "I was reading the Tarot. I have foreseen great peril! We must hurry!"

He points upward: upon the open landing at the top of the stairs, you can see light seeping from beneath the door to the library.

Everyone here:
Spoiler:
OOC:   You may make a Psychology roll on Williamson.  
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Meanwhile...

Ann Veronica Poole:

The short ride across Westminster passes uneventfully; it is a little after nine o'clock when you arrive back at your hotel in the Strand.

"Good evening, Miss Poole," the regular concierge at the lobby desk says cordially, handing you your room key.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Ann Veronica

Inspector Cleveland’s
warning suddenly comes into her mind.

“Excuse me, but do you know if anyone has come in here looking for me today?” she asks the concierge.
Pastiche
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Pastiche »

James.png
Spoiler:
OOC:   Psychology 5%: [dice]0[/dice]  
James quickly looks at Godfrey but is unable to read him. Throwing all caution to the wind, he starts dashing up the stairs two steps at a time.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 9 months

Post by Victoria Silverwolf »

Spoiler:
PSYCH = 5%[dice]0[/dice]
Gordon has always found the behavior of chemicals and mechanical devices more explicable than those of human beings. Even if the so-called psychic is simply a fraud or a fool, it would do not harm to follow him and explore this mystery further.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 2 months

Post by Priest »

Clergyman.jpg
Absolom Peredue Somerhayes

Absolom looks at the psychic wondering if his apparent distress is just another act for the gullible, then peers upward to the door from which the light spills. Then following in the footsteps of the professor quickly begins to ascend the stairs.
Psychology,[url=http://orokos.com/roll/539829]Psychology Roll 25%[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]29[/b]
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Diane, ever trusting, also hurries up the stairs. "He must have psychic abilities if he knew we were coming," she says.
OOC,Psychology roll (55% skill) about [b]Godfrey Williamson[/b]: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Mister Ginge
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 7 years

Post by Mister Ginge »

Cecil Copeland
Spoiler:
Psychology 5%
[dice]0[/dice]
Cecil hops it up the stairs after the others, without a second glance at Williamson.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Mr. McKerry, Reverend Somerhayes, Professor Powell, Mr. Copeland and Miss Siddons:

Upstairs, Godfrey Williamson pauses and produces a deck of Tarot cards, and shuffles them nervously. He picks a card from the deck, his eyes narrowing, and holds it up to show you with a shaking hand. It is the Hermit.
"The Hermit," he mutters. "A recluse. A man who has abandoned the world and everything on it. A misguided soul, lost to humanity."

The psychic appears to be genuinely frightened.

As you approach the library the door swings open and inside you can see several figures seated silently around the large table, gaslamps on the walls burning brightly.

The Theosophical Society's Annie Beasant; Florence Farr and Dr. William Wynn Wescott of the Golden Dawn; the psychic Robert James Lees: the same guests who took part in the seance are gathered around the table, which is set exactly as it was the previous night; all except for John Bidwell, of course, whose chair remains empty, along with your own.

Behind you, as though moved by an unseen hand, the door glides shut.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Meanwhile...

Ann Veronica Poole:

"Why yes indeed there was," the concierge replies. "It was perhaps an hour ago. Two Chinese men came asking for you. Rather rough-looking fellows, I must say. Didn't speak much English. I informed them that you weren't here and that I wasn't privy to your whereabouts, and sent them on their way."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Ann Veronica thinks quickly. “I need to warn the others.”

"I was a witness to a crime today, and I was helping Scotland Yard” she explains to the concierge. “I think those men may be looking for me in retaliation, so it’s best if I check out. If you could send someone with me to my room while I pack, and then get me a cab to collect me from your rear entrance, going to St. John’s Wood, I’d be extremely grateful.”

She tips the man handsomely.
Pastiche
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Pastiche »

James.png
James is completely mesmerised by the scene in front of him. Without a word, he takes his seat from the night before, closes his eyes for a while, then takes a deep breath and reaches for the hands of neighbours around the table.

Return to “The Eyes of a Stranger”