The Eyes of a Stranger

Victorian Horror. A fashionable London party, a murder in mysterious circumstances...

Moderator: Rooter

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: The Eyes of a Stranger

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, that's a good idea," says Diane. "I recall seeing that dragon too. I think the building may have been a restaurant."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Pastiche
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Post by Pastiche »

James.png
"I agree about telling the inspector. To be honest, I have not been too impressed with the performance of the police lately, but if we go against an entire Chinese criminal gang, especially one that tried to kill us, some extra firepower would not hurt..."

After a while, James continues. "Not sure I understand exactly what the connection is between Bidwell and the Tong, though..."
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 2 months

Post by Priest »

Clergyman.jpg
Absolom Peredue Somerhayes

Absalom nods at James’ comment about the police, “I concur, we do not need the suspicion of the inspector to fall upon us again. However if the Tong are involved in this we do not need to invoke their wrath by involving the police unnecessarily”
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Post by HoneyDog »

Ann Veronica addresses the man of the cloth.

“Perhaps you misunderstand Reverend. We know the Tong are involved – all of these events point to it and the Inspector told us so himself. They’re already trying to kill us, so how much more wrathful can they get? We need to end this matter, but we can’t do it without help. Whoever has the device is no doubt using it to advance their own cause, which I'm sure will result in great harm and damage.”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I quite agree," says Diane. "None of us is safe until the Tong is stopped. You know, it is possible that they and Bidwell - or rather the Yekubian that had been inside him - are rivals. The Tong may want the cube for its own purposes, and the Yekubian will want to get it back from them."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Clergyman.jpg

Absolom reddens, this is all becoming a little too strange for his sensibilities. First they want me to accept the nonsense of soul transference, then that that strange beings calling themselves Yekubian’s are involved, and now that these creatures are in some way the enemies of the Tong a Chinese secret society?

Unconvinced he raises his hands, “As you wish dear lady, perhaps you can convince the police of the idea that this is all to do with the supernatural”
- Anais Nin
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“The supernatural aspect doesn’t matter Reverend” says Ann Veronica patiently, as she likes the old clergyman. “The Tong stole the cube, and they’re trying to kill us. That makes it a matter for the police. We don’t have to tell them anything else.”

"Perhaps you should stay behind" she says, after a thought. "Your health isn't good, and it's bound to be dangerous. I wouldn't want anything to happen to you".
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Post by Victoria Silverwolf »

Since there seems to be a general consensus that we should inform the authorities," Gordon says, "I suggest that this highly respectable gentleman at least accompany us to the police station and confirm our story."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“No” says Ann Veronica. “I doubt that the police will let us accompany them to Limehouse. We should send word to them that we will be there, and they should meet us. They can busy themselves with the Tong, while we get the cube.”
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Post by Rooter »

Dr. Campbell agrees to send a message right away to inform Inspector Cleveland of your intentions.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Clergyman.jpg

“My dear Miss Veronica. Do not think that my health or any infirmity might allow me to miss this opportunity. Though I must confess scepticism over the whole cube, the transmigration of souls, and these, what are they called? Ah yes, Yekubians. There is no doubt that something odd is occurring, something which I, as much as any here, would see explained”
He smiles at Anne in the manner that one might smile at a favoured child, “I think the words of the nation’s greatest writers would best fit the situation. ‘There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio’. So my dear Horatio let us sally forth and uncover the truth, be it as unacceptable as it may” Brandishing his walking stick as if it were a sword he turns to follow the others.
- Anais Nin
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Without further ado the investigators depart the museum and return to Limehouse.

The journey passes without incident. It is around half past the hour of six o'clock and a light fog has settled over the city when you arrive back in that lower-class locality. The streets and businesses of Chinatown are still a-bustle with various comings and goings when you alight, as before, in Emmett Street in the warehouse district.

As there is no sign of a 'yellow dragon', nor any restaurants or similar establishments, to be seen immediately within the area, it will necessitate a wider search to find again. Perhaps the 'yellow dragon' you glimpsed yesterday was seen in passing chance somewhere along the way, which would also include much of Chinatown and the wharf area along the canal.
Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice]
It can be estimated that a thorough search of the area would take approximately four hours.

How will you go about locating the place in question?
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Post by Victoria Silverwolf »

"Quite an area to search," Gordon remarks. "I suggest we split up into groups of two or three, see what we can find, and report back here. Personally, I'd like to explore the docks. Sailors often learn of strange things, I believe. In anyone would care to join me?"
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Ann Veronica

“We must be very careful, especially by the docks - this isn’t a very safe area at night, and sailors are a sinister bunch at times. The conjunction of the West and East India Dock Roads is a major thoroughfare and I think home to many Chinese. One party could try around there.”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Splitting up is too risky," says Diane. "The Tong seeks our lives, and these are their stomping grounds. Why is it that men never think to ask for directions?" She gives Ann Veronica a knowing glance. "We should inquire of the shopkeepers around here about a place with a yellow dragon sign. They'll speak English if they hope to make more sales. That will be a lot faster and less dangerous than searching all over."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

“You do make a good point, Diane says Ann Veronica. “But I’m sure that the Tong might have lots of their people watching out for strangers. If a big group of outsiders starts asking about their location, word might get back to them. I agree though about splitting up, we should all stay within sight of each other if we’re in different groups. Plus if we’re separated, it makes meeting up again more complicated.”
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Upon making discreet inquiries the investigators quickly discover a reticence on the part of the locals to provide any assistance. There is an evident distrust of outsiders in this seedy, lower-class area where life is cheap, particularly toward those of the higher classes.

One wizened old shopkeeper seems about to answer then hesitates, regarding you uncertainly...

Everyone:
Spoiler:
OOC:   A successful roll e.g. Persuade or Fast Talk will be required, however with the exception of Miss Poole and Miss Siddons all the investigators will suffer a -10% penalty due to being of a higher social class.  
Pastiche
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Post by Pastiche »

James.png
Spoiler:
OOC:   Fast talk: 45% - 10%:[dice]0[/dice]  
James approaches the shopkeeper, and tries to discreetly get the information out of him that they require. There's obvious distrust at first, but looking closer at the disheveled states of James's clothes, it's clear he's no well-to-do aristocrat...
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"Is restaurant called The House of the Yellow Dragon in Gough Street," the old shopkeeper mutters. He gives brief directions; the place indicated is but a short walk of a few streets away in the mazy heart of Chinatown. "Many Occidental go there for good time."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Ann Veronica

"We need to make sure that a message detailing the location gets out. They won't know where to look otherwise."

Return to “The Eyes of a Stranger”