The Eyes of a Stranger

Victorian Horror. A fashionable London party, a murder in mysterious circumstances...

Moderator: Rooter

HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Re: The Eyes of a Stranger

Post by HoneyDog »

Ann Veronica

"I'll come too. But I must point out the need for us to arm ourselves at the first opportunity. This Tong is obviously after us too."
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 2 months

Post by Priest »

Clergyman.jpg
Absolom Peredue Somerhayes

Absolom lifts his walking stick and studies the heavy brass handle. Probably not the best weapon but he has bent many a young heathen’s will with a few choice strokes using it, anyway the strength of the Lord is in his arm. He is still unable to come to terms with all this ‘hocus pocus’ nonsense, but he knows the devils work when he sees it.
“Lead on Miss Siddons”, brandishing the walking stick he follows the others.
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Mister Ginge
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 6 years 11 months

Post by Mister Ginge »

Cecil agrees that the library much be thoroughly searched - a prospect that he relishes. Following the others out, he realises that he is also hoping to catch a fleeting glimpse of ankle as they alight the stairs. Good Lord! he didn't think he still had it in him. Embarrassed, he hopes no one will notice his reddening face.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Post by Rooter »

In the library:
Spoiler:
OOC:   You may make Library Use and/or Spot Hidden rolls as you wish.  
Pastiche
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Post by Pastiche »

James.png
Seeing he appears to be standing alone with his suggestion to visit the British Museum, James rushes after the others, but not before quickly pouring himself a quick early-morning drink to steel his nerves.

Inside the library, he starts scanning the shelves, and then his trained eye spots something...
Spoiler:
OOC:   Spot hidden 50%: [dice]0[/dice]
Library use 80%: [dice]1[/dice]  
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Ann Veronica feels too impatient to search through the books again. She wants to get to the Museum as soon as possible.
Library Use,Library Use 25: [url=http://orokos.com/roll/544232]Library Use[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]57[/b]
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Post by Victoria Silverwolf »

Spoiler:
Library Use = 55%[dice]0[/dice]
"A-ha!" Gordon cries. "Here's something interesting."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'm not truly trained with weapons," says Diane as she peruses the volumes, searching for references to Yekub and Juk-Shabb. "I did learn a bit of how to handle a sword on the stage. I got to wield one playing Viola in Twelfth Night. All I know about fighting with one is to stick your foe with the pointy end, however. It would be better to be armed than not, even untrained."
OOC,Library Use roll (25% base skill) in the library: [dice]0[/dice] Spot Hidden roll (60% skill) in the library: [dice]1[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Mister Ginge
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 6 years 11 months

Post by Mister Ginge »

Spoiler:
Library 55%
[dice]0[/dice]
Spot hidden 65%
[dice]1[/dice]
Cecil has to give his monocle a polish, but thinks he might have found something..
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Clergyman.jpg

Absolom, trying not to be distracted by Miss Siddons’ explanation of the finer points of swaordsmanship, attempts his own methodical search of Bidwell’s collection. With a smile of pleasure he....
Library Use,[url=http://orokos.com/roll/544597]Library Use 65%[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]40[/b]
- Anais Nin
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Even among the several rare and strange volumes of occult material to be found upon Bidwell's shelves, information relating to the investigators' experiences is extremely limited. Yet with a combined effort you are able to unearth several possible clues.

There is but a single mention of "Yekub". Even then, it is merely stated that this is a planet in a distant galaxy, apparently inhabited by malevolent worm-like entities.

No mention of "Juk-Shabb" is to be found in the volumes upon the shelves. However, in another work you succeed in finding a brief reference to "crystal cubes" which seems somehow pertinent:

"There are legends that the primordial cone-beings had encountered a race which, like themselves, was capable of psychically hurling itself through time and space; that this race used strange hypnotic devices, crystal cubes of immeasurable age, to cross the gulfs of space; that this alien race was bent on conquering all the worlds it came in contact with; that even the cone-beings feared the incursions of this race, and thus hid away the crystal device they had found..."

In a margin of the same tome you discover a written addendum, in the same scrawled hand which may be recalled from Bidwell's journal:

Yekubian minds cannot control human bodies for very long. Within a matter of days or hours the invading worm-creature loses control over its possessed body, which then regresses to a bestial state. The human body ultimately destroys itself, killing the invading mind too unless it is somehow able to escape into another body or back to Yekub.

Everyone:
Spoiler:
OOC:   You may make an Idea roll concerning the information in the books. Regarding weapons, you will likely have noticed something in Bidwell's study, just across the hallway.  
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Clergyman.jpg

“Ah! Mind control...mesmerism. I can accept that as opposed to fantasies about soul transfer” says Absolom after squinting at the writing in the margin. “Science rather than magic”. However no matter how hard he considers all the relevant clues, no patterns revel themselves...
Idea,[url=http://orokos.com/roll/544947]Idea Roll 85%[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]100[/b]
- Anais Nin
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Something occurs to Diane.
OOC,Idea roll (70% stat) about the books: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Spoiler:
IDEA = 65[dice]0[/dice]
Gordon exchanges a glance with the lady. "Are you thinking what I'm thinking?"
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Ann Veronica

"So it seems we have a Yekubian mind on the loose" says Ann Veronica thoughtfully. "We need to trap the mind in a body from which it cannot escape into another. I wonder if an animal would do?"
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Miss Siddons and Mr. McKerry:
Spoiler:
From the various other scraps of information on such occult topics gleaned from the books it seems a likely conclusion that the rhetoric uttered by Bidwell at the seance was actually some form of ritual used to "activate" the crystal cube.
Pastiche
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Post by Pastiche »

James.png
James strokes his mustache, lost deep in thought...
Spoiler:
OOC:   Idea 70%: [dice]0[/dice]  
Perhaps he should also have a look inside the study?
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

James Powell:
Spoiler:
From the various other scraps of information on such occult topics gleaned from the books it seems a likely conclusion that the rhetoric uttered by Bidwell at the seance was actually some form of ritual used to "activate" the crystal cube.
The talk of weapons has no doubt drawn Professor Powell's attention to the objects hung in display upon the wall in Bidwell's study, close to the previously noted photograph of his time in Australia. There are a pair of small knives; a .32 revolver handgun and a .22 bolt-action rifle; and, higher up, a big two-barrel elephant gun. All look to have seen some use though all also have clearly been well-maintained.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

After a brief conference with Miss Siddons about the idea that seems to have occurred to them simultaneously, Gordon looks over the weapons. "We might need these," he says grimly. "For now, I suggest we keep our little notion to ourselves. It may bit a bit premature."

"If no one objects," he continues to the other, "I wouldn't mind borrowing that rifle. Reminds me of something I used to fool around with on the prairie. I'm no marksman, but I know which way to point it, anyway."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Are you sure we should keep it to ourselves?" Diane asks Gordon. "It could be important. As for weapons, I'm not very strong physically. I'd be lucky to cut butter with a knife, and that elephant gun would probably knock me on my back if I tried to fire it. That handgun looks about my size, though."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “The Eyes of a Stranger”