The Eyes of a Stranger

Victorian Horror. A fashionable London party, a murder in mysterious circumstances...

Moderator: Rooter

Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 10 months

Re: The Eyes of a Stranger

Post by Rooter »

Miss Siddons:
Spoiler:
OOC:   Yes that's fine.  
By a combination of luck and skill most of the party manage to evade the onrushing vehicle. Professor Powell and Mr. Copeland are not so fortunate however...

James Powell and Cecil Copeland:
Spoiler:
OOC:   Damage from being run down by the coach is 4D6 so hold on to your hats.

Professor Powell:
Hit Points 14[dice]0[/dice]
Mr. Copeland:
Hit Points 12[dice]1[/dice]

That's 14 for Professor Powell reducing Hit Points to 0 and 18 for Mr. Copeland reducing Hit Points to -6. I'm afraid you are both knocked unconscious, near death and unable to act.  
The collision is a critical one. Both men are knocked to the ground and lie unconscious upon the brink of death.

The coach rattles past its victims and hurtles down the street. The driver is seen to be a Chinese man.

Everyone:
Spoiler:
OOC:   A reminder that successful First Aid or Medicine rolls may restore 1D3 Hit Points. Professor Powell has 0 remaining while Mr. Copeland's injury took him to -6. Neither of them can act. If they are not restored to a minimum of +1 Hit Points by the next round they will die.  
Pastiche
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 7 years 1 month

Post by Pastiche »

Spoiler:
OOC:   Needless to say, I wish you all the very best of luck with your rolls!  
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Post by HoneyDog »

Acting quickly, Ann Veronica rushes to the Professor's side, but his injuries look to severe for her to treat.
First Aid,First Aid 50:[url=http://orokos.com/roll/547857]First Aid[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]63[/b]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Realizing that Mr. Copeland is most likely beyond help, Diane also kneels beside Professor Powell and tries to save his life, but she has no luck either.
OOC,First Aid roll (60% skill) treating [b]Professor Powell[/b]'s injury: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by Priest »

Clergyman.jpg
Absolom Peredue Somerhayes

Horrified at the sight of so much carnage done to people that moments before he had been speaking to, Absolom, steps closer to the crushed figure of Professor Powell rolling his sleeves and kneeling, “I have little to offer in the way of aid, but I will do what I can”. He draws a breath as he shakes his head, “This is beyond me I’m afraid”
As he rises he spends a moment in awestruck gaze at Cecil Copeland realising that there is little anyone can do for the poor man.
First Aid,[url=http://orokos.com/roll/548157]First Aid 30%[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]34[/b]
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Mr. McKerry and Godfrey Williamson both rush to help.
Spoiler:
OOC:   NPC

Mr. McKerry
First Aid 40%[dice]0[/dice]
Godfrey Williamson
First Aid 30%[dice]1[/dice]  
Spoiler:
OOC:   [dice]2[/dice][dice]3[/dice]  
James Powell:
Spoiler:
OOC:   You are restored to 5 Hit Points and thus regain consciousness. A reminder that falling below 3 Hit Points results in being knocked unconscious.  
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

At the last Professor Powell regains consciousness, if still somewhat battered by the ordeal.

With the investigators' efforts concentrated upon their stricken companions, the coach has by now disappeared from view, ending any hope of giving chase.

Mr. Copeland lies dead in the street.
Pastiche
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Pastiche »

Spoiler:
OOC:   Can I still try a first aid check on Cecil, or is it too late?  
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

James Powell:
Spoiler:
OOC:   You can try. One of the successful First Aid rolls could be used for him which means you would still need to make up 4 Hit Points. A First Aid can only restore 1D3 but a successful Medicine roll can restore 2D3.  
Pastiche
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Pastiche »

James.png
James slowly regains consciousness, thanks to the efforts of his companions. However, after seeing his friend lie in a pool of his own blood, he scrambles as quickly as his current condition allows to Cecil and tries to help him, using what little knowledge he picked up while caring for his daughter.
Spoiler:
OOC:   Medicine 15%: [dice]0[/dice]  
It seems his efforts are in vain, though, and James starts to sob uncontrollably...
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

RIP CECIL COPELAND
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

###

Street deaths are common enough that it is not long before assistance arrives and the body is taken away along with assurances that Mr. Copeland's family in Wiltshire will be informed.

A shaken Godfrey Williamson boards a hansom cab and also takes his leave. "I am departing immediately for a holiday in Australia," he declares. "It would seem a much safer place to be than London at present. Good luck to you."

The remaining investigators are left where they began, outside John Bidwell's house. Will they proceed as planned?
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Post by HoneyDog »

Ann Veronica is badly shaken by Copeland’s death, but is even more determined to solve the mystery.

“We won’t be safe until we’ve got to the bottom of this” she tells the others. “I’m heading to the museum as planned. Will you all come with me?”

She turns to Diane. “I didn’t get a chance to thank you. You saved my life. I won’t forget it.”
Mister Ginge
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Mister Ginge »

OOC:   "Avenge my death dear friends! Avenge me!"

Cecil's spirit disappears into the ether...  
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by Priest »

Clergyman.jpg
Absolom Peredue Somerhayes

Still in a state of shock from the event and with his head spinning from the death of Mr Copeland, Absolom nods agreement to Ann “As you say my dear we must pursue an explanation for all that has happened, so on to the museum. But first I think we should offer a small prayer of thanks for our safety and remembrance of our stalwart companion Mr Cecil Copeland so violently taken from us”.
Taking his small Bible from his pocket he begins “Oh Lord look down upon...”
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"You're quite welcome," Diane says, hugging Ann Veronica as she blinks back tears. "You're right, we need to go to the museum to get some answers. From now on, all of us should stick together. I realise we're not entirely safe even then, but we'd be completely helpless by ourselves." She looks somberly at the corpse of Cecil Copeland. "Good night, sweet prince, and flights of angels sing thee to thy rest."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Pastiche
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Pastiche »

James.png
After a while James manages to steel himself, taking a deep breath...

"Yes, let's go to the museum. Getting to the bottom of this is the best way we can honour him..."
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Spoiler:
OOC:   NPC  
Mr. McKerry too is determined to proceed.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

The party procure a coach and set off without further mishap.

Everyone:
Spoiler:
OOC:   I'll make another Spot Hidden roll on your behalf here.

Professor Powell:
Spot Hidden 50[dice]0[/dice]
Mr. McKerry:
Spot Hidden 50[dice]1[/dice]
Miss Poole:
Spot Hidden 25[dice]2[/dice]
Reverend Somerhayes:
Spot Hidden 55[dice]3[/dice]
Miss Siddons:
Spot Hidden 60[dice]4[/dice]  
As you are traveling through the busy streets of London toward the museum Professor Powell, Miss Poole and Reverend Somerhayes all notice another carriage following a short distance behind. The driver is a large man dressed in a dull brown suit, derby, and gloves, with a black muffler pulled across his lower face. You can't be sure but it appears to be the same man who was spotted watching the investigators in Limehouse the previous day. After a moment the carriage veers off and disappears among the traffic.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

The collections of the great national museum and library are divided into eleven departments: Books and Maps; Manuscripts; Prints and Drawings; Oriental Antiquities (including Egyptian); Greek and Roman Antiquities; British and Medieval Antiquities and Ethnography; Coins and Medals; and Zoology, Geology, Minerology, and Botany (though these last four are housed at the Natural History Museum in Kensington).

With all that has transpired it is not long before the public closing time of 5 o'clock when you arrive.

A passing attendant who seems to recognize Professor Powell from previous study visits stops to inquire if he might be of assistance.

Return to “The Eyes of a Stranger”